4.10 star(s) 194 Votes

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Disclaimer: I hope I am not violating any of F95 rules AND I hope this does not go against the developers' wishes. If they prefer I don't share this post, please let me know. I act always with the project best hopes in mind

12-July

I apologize for not making a progress update last weekend. I've been busy with work and I honestly forgot. But things are going well with the update. And barring anything going wrong, we will release in or around the 19'th as ever.
1594937613114.png

Best regards
Likesblondes

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020
Disclaimer: I hope I am not violating any of F95 rules AND I hope this does not go against the developers' wishes. If they prefer I don't share this post, please let me know. I act always with the project best hopes in mind

12-July

I apologize for not making a progress update last weekend. I've been busy with work and I honestly forgot. But things are going well with the update. And barring anything going wrong, we will release in or around the 19'th as ever.
View attachment 733018

Best regards
Likesblondes
why is waifu #1 standing in front of waifu #4 ?

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
This while in fact it's the game compressor who's the asshole and ruin the author's reputation and credibility.
I wouldn't go that far, I'm guessing the compressor just didn't know and didn't think about the possible incompatibility with the original game. Maybe he still doesn't know, because I haven't really tried to play a detective and trace back the author of those compressed games with upgraded Ren'Py.

Ren'Py engine is backward-compatible with the save files (newer versions of Ren'Py can open save files from an older version of Ren'Py), but it's not forward-compatible (older versions of Ren'Py are highly likely unable to work with save files from a newer version of Ren'Py). This makes sense both from the view of Ren'Py developers and Ren'Py game developers, because a game developer most likely will never downgrade Ren'Py SDK while developing a game, although an upgrade is possible.
An attempt to assure compatibility in both directions would complicate engine development a lot.

It would probably be a good idea to add this to the game compression rules in the compression request thread - that in the process of simple compression the game engine should not be upgraded or modified. Upgrade or replacement of the engine should be categorized as a game modification that is incompatible with the original game.

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[Context: It's about game compressors that downgrade the version of Ren'py when they release their compressed version]

Ren'Py engine is backward-compatible with the save files (saves from an older version of Ren'Py can be opened by newer versions of Ren'Py), but it's not forward-compatible (saves from a newer version of Ren'Py highly likely can not be opened by older versions of Ren'Py).
The problem isn't just on the save compatibility side, but also on the side of the code itself.

By example, take the improved renpy.input() which, since the 7.3.3, accept a screen name as parameter ; you can now have personalized screens according to the actual input, it's useful. If the game compressor decide to downgrade to a version prior to 7.3.3, the error will be seen only when the line using this function will be triggered ; therefore the said game compressor will just broke a game that was perfectly working, and not even know it.
And there's tons of example like that. When it's pure statement changes, the error will be triggered when the compressor will try to launch the game, but when it's Python equivalent, screen actions, or things like that, it will appear only when the game will reach the now incorrect line. And if this line come from a previous update, the said game compressor will never be able to know it, even if he play the full update before realizing his version ; only new players will see that the game is broke.

Sometimes it can even be more subtle, when it's just a change on the behavior of a statement or a Python equivalent. The game will be broke, because it will not react as expected, but the error will stay unseen from the player. It's the same kind of subtle error than when the dev type to fast and write something like :
Code:
    $ var =+ 1
    [...]
    if var > 15:
        [...]
The game is broke, since var is forced to 1, and so will never be superior to 15. But no one will ever see that there's a problem, except by looking at the code, or tracking the variable in real time.
Side note as example: Long time ago, I pointed this kind of error to a dev. It was just a two characters inversion, but it removed around half of the content of the update...

All people who would play a compressed version inducing such subtle bug would be deprived of part of the update ; and also potentially part of the future content, if the behavior change also impact the value of some variables. And they would never know it. Even if, by chance, they discover it, by seeing others talk about scenes they haven't seen, they would never understand why it happen to them.
They play the game following the optimal path, and still can't have its full content. This just because a game compressor decided that his version the game should use a previous version of Ren'py, and this change silently broke the game.

So, perhaps that the word I used is a little too rude, it's totally possible. But yes it can totally ruin a game that, otherwise, would have been good ; and therefore also ruin its author reputation.

It would probably be a good idea to add this to the game compression rules in the compression request thread - that in the process of simple compression the game engine should not be upgraded or modified. Upgrade or replacement (i.e. porting) of the engine should be categorized as a game modification that is incompatible with the original game.
I totally second you on this ; including both upgrade (that can lead to save incompatibility, like you said, if the player decide to use the regular version for the next update), and downgrade (that can lead to errors as I said above).
This especially since there's absolutely no reason to touch the lib and renpy folders. Why rebuild the distribution, when you just need to compress a folder ?

bas , sorry to bother you, but since you're both the author of the compression tool and a staff member, I port this to your attention.

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
I wouldn't go that far, I'm guessing the compressor just didn't know and didn't think about the possible incompatibility with the original game. Maybe he still doesn't know, because I haven't really tried to play a detective and trace back the author of those compressed games with upgraded Ren'Py.

Ren'Py engine is backward-compatible with the save files (newer versions of Ren'Py can open save files from an older version of Ren'Py), but it's not forward-compatible (older versions of Ren'Py are highly likely unable to work with save files from a newer version of Ren'Py). This makes sense both from the view of Ren'Py developers and Ren'Py game developers, because a game developer most likely will never downgrade Ren'Py SDK while developing a game, although an upgrade is possible.
An attempt to assure compatibility in both directions would complicate engine development a lot.

It would probably be a good idea to add this to the game compression rules in the compression request thread - that in the process of simple compression the game engine should not be upgraded or modified. Upgrade or replacement of the engine should be categorized as a game modification that is incompatible with the original game.
Once in a while such problems arise with compressed versions unfortunately.
Usually it happens when dev uses an older renpy engine, and compressed version is packed with the newer/latest renpy by one compressor (particularly if there are requests for mac-build - which are almost every time - and that is why we usually do make rebuilds -just to answer that overly shitt..khm.. respected dude you have the compressing/building discussion here...perhaps Im too rude, yet that is "sorry to bother you bas..."'s language), while the other/later compressor dont change original engine.

I agree it should be sorted out, and we will look into that for surely.

BarbarrossaNA

Sep 10, 2019
Sweet lawdy this game hits me in mah sweet spot! Not even gonna go on and on about how awesome the story/renders/dialog are. The trifecta of what makes a masterpiece...

The MC is just the right portions of funny and serious. His sire? I'm thinking top tier vamp who was bored a bit and found her interaction with the MC just interesting enough to do the 'be careful what you wish for' thingie. The NOS might be some fugly sons of guns but they have their own code of honor.. and Sharon, oh my sweet Sharon... Really just a fricking awesome cast of relatable charactors.

So enjoyable and 'believable' in the 'not overboard' paranormal kind of a way. 9/10 easily. Waiting for an erotic scene between the MC and the captured hunter as he fuels up on her blood.. Would it be selfish of me to want to have her stick around.. as either a continual source of food/entertainment.. or an escaped adversary?

So many ways this masterpiece in the making can go.. I tip my hat to LikesBlondes.

jish55

Nov 23, 2017

12-July

View attachment 733018

Best regards
Likesblondes
Oh shit, she's fucked, though gotta say I hope she's not killed off, cause she looks really good.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Oh shit, she's fucked, though gotta say I hope she's not killed off, cause she looks really good.
Too cute to be killed so fast: would have been a total waste of a really nice character and to just get rid of her they could have use something more plain and save the nice girl for something else. She will almost surely play a bigger role.

Reactions: jish55

Chrisdarock19

Oct 15, 2018
What dors that mean i try load second and it says no forst loades
If you saved right at the end of Episode 1 when prompted, all you need to do is start a new game on Episode 2 and it will show you your save from Episode 1 and ask if you want to load it (some people had multiple saves due to different choices regarding powers/choices)

RC-1138 Boss

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2017
Truth be told those were some really amateur hunters.
Other than Carmen's ability to resist Sharon's mind control they first sprung the trap too soon and tried to face Dan with only melee weapons.
Sure my Dan had the claws power so i am not sure how easy this fight is without it (haven't done more than on playthrough so far). Still their original plan was to face both a "baby vampire" and a adult one (Sharon) at the same time with axes. :FacePalm:

Still i agree that it is unlikely Carmen will die now. More likely she will be kept in the cage for now or Sharon will turn her into a thrall too. :p

I am more interested in the vampire who attacked Sharon and Dan's "mommy" who seems to be a really powerfull telepath. :unsure:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Truth be told those were some really amateur hunters.
Other than Carmen's ability to resist Sharon's mind control they first sprung the trap too soon and tried to face Dan with only melee weapons.
But my Dan had the claws power so i am not sure how easy this fight is without it (haven't done more than on playthrough so far).

Still i agree that it is unlikely Carmen will die now. More likely she will be kept in the cage for now or Sharon will turn her into a thrall too. :p

I am more interested in the vampire who attacked Sharon and Dan's "mommy" who seems to be a really powerfull telepath. :unsure:
The scene without the claws have MC getting stabbed with a wood stake. Luckily, Andrew goes full Mario and rescues Princess Peach (you).

4.10 star(s) 194 Votes