4.40 star(s) 103 Votes

Dark Silence

Devoted Member
Jul 17, 2021
Yeah, this is the common misconception if you're not familiar with the principles of versioning, so you immediately apply your understanding of mathematics to make assumptions about numbers you see. You might, for example, see v0.9.3.2 which is mathematically meaningless. But in versioning (done correctly), that has a very clear meaning. Like dolfe67 said, versioning works differently. The periods are delimiters, but they are not the same as decimal points and serve a different purpose.

And like Dark Silence pointed out, sometimes the pattern you expected will happen. It's not all that common, however, primarily because it's almost impossible to know for a fact you're exactly 50% of the way through a story (or 90% or whatever). It's even not always clear for a developer whether they're close to a specific percentage.

The entire point of numeric versioning is to understand two simple principles. First, a lower number will always be followed by a higher one (so just as 6 follows 5, 10 follows 9), which is how you know you're running a later version of the program (game, etc.). Second, the periods are delimiters, separating types of change from one another. In the X.X.X.X pattern, the 4th number is a tiny change, like a typo correction or a similarly small change. The 3rd number would be more like a patch, for fixing a major bug in a game, for example. The 2nd number would be a new version, generally coming with new content and/or a major overhaul (such as a redone combat system or adding a phone to a VN that wasn't there before). Finally, the 1st number typically represents a full version of the game / program, such as a full first release, ready in the way a game in a plastic case sold at a store would be.

If you understand this basic idea, it will help you better know how things are progressing. And one final note: versioning will ofc differ here and there, from developer to developer. Some only use chapter numbers, some will use the date of a release, etc. So rather than assuming a version should be a certain way, if it's different than you expect, I'd try to understand how a specific developer is using it instead.
People are goin to hate me for my versioning if I ever do release what I'm workin on. I don't go by any versioning standards.

"Wtf? Wasn't last update 0.1a.2 and now this one is 0.A1.0c-6?" Not really that bad. lol

jI11jaCksjAkk

Jun 26, 2023
generally the next step after .9 is 1.0, or "finished". This is more like a 0.09 instead.
wrong understanding. After .9 comes .10 then .11 etc.
Both wrong, both right. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. No idea what the exact split is, but there are large numbers of devs that version in both 'styles,' so making any assumptions about a game with versioning "lower" than 1.0 is totally premature because it has not yet been made clear which type of naming convention a particular dev is planning to use. A "0.7" could still be either 0.7 of a planned 1.0 or 0.7 of what ends up being a final version 57.3. If a certain dev has only used the 1.0=Final naming style in many other games that might be a good reason to make the assumption in the first post, or if the story seems pretty far along vs. still establishing new characters at that point. Otherwise I would tend to lean in the other direction, since it seems to me that more devs do tend to use the other less-restrictive versioning/naming model.

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Both wrong, both right. Only a Sith deals in absolutes. No idea what the exact split is, but there are large numbers of devs that version in both 'styles,' so making any assumptions about a game with versioning "lower" than 1.0 is totally premature because it has not yet been made clear which type of naming convention a particular dev is planning to use. A "0.7" could still be either 0.7 of a planned 1.0 or 0.7 of what ends up being a final version 57.3. If a certain dev has only used the 1.0=Final naming style in many other games that might be a good reason to make the assumption in the first post, or if the story seems pretty far along vs. still establishing new characters at that point. Otherwise I would tend to lean in the other direction, since it seems to me that more devs do tend to use the other less-restrictive versioning/naming model.
In the end, you can deduce nothing from versionning alone, neither the amount of content nor if it's close to completion.

Reactions: jI11jaCksjAkk

BlenderGuy

Nov 17, 2023
The women in this are irresistable, what's the secret to making seriously hot popping women in these games?

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
Unedited pic is underage :D CP on the police, is this how she trying to get millionaire, with a good layer? :D

4.40 star(s) 103 Votes