Which main character are you most interested in so far?

• Eryn

Votes: 7,486 57.4%
  • Lena

Votes: 637 4.9%
  • Lucine

Votes: 1,619 12.4%
  • Raisa

Votes: 1,518 11.6%
  • Rithe

Votes: 278 2.1%
  • Murfi (Lucine's Cow)

Votes: 1,320 10.1%
  • Aline

Votes: 39 0.3%
  • Aina

Votes: 20 0.2%
  • Evana

Votes: 61 0.5%
  • Silva

Votes: 66 0.5%

• Total voters

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
Interesting. Have you found the dev community to be helpful in general, or are things more cutthroat because many people don't want to help competitors? If every new dev is on their own to learn everything the hard way that would really suck.
Here on F95 it's pretty good. I'm sure there are a plenty of devs out there who do way shadier stuff than just hoarding info but for the most part people are pretty helpful. I lurk in the dev forum a lot and find myself learning new stuff from time to time.

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Why does right-click go to options instead of save screen?
I'm guessing that's the default in RenPy, I haven't messed with it.
Strange. I've not worked much with Ren'Py, but my first attempt has the right-click go directly to the save screen. The documentation doesn't make sense to me because I've not really dug into it, but it does refer to a file (config.keymap) which doesn't exist in your game, nor my test game.

Dunno. Maybe someone with more experience in the actual code can answer this.?

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
The documentation doesn't make sense to me because I've not really dug into it, but it does refer to a file (config.keymap) which doesn't exist in your game, nor my test game.
config.keymap isn't a file, it's just a configuration variable. You can change config variables in a script file if you want but I just kept the default keymap values. Looks like the default action for both esc and right-click is to open the save menu.

Reactions: EricGrey

EricGrey

Nov 11, 2020
Hmmmm. Ran into an error. This is the most recent build, started over with new saves (deleted the old ones) and no patch.

Triggered when suggesting that Raisa NOT give the MC a "love bite". Choosing to let her allows the game to proceed.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Save attached.

Reactions: Escape Sauce

Kaizen

Dec 17, 2016
I am getting an error while talking to Raisa:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
ScriptError: could not find label 'day003_eryn_exitramp'.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "script.rpyc", line 3622, in script
  File "C:\Users\pollo\Downloads\H!\RefugeOfEmbers-0.12b-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1974, in execute
    rv = renpy.game.script.lookup(target)
  File "C:\Users\pollo\Downloads\H!\RefugeOfEmbers-0.12b-pc\renpy\script.py", line 927, in lookup
    raise ScriptError("could not find label '%s'." % str(original))
ScriptError: could not find label 'day003_eryn_exitramp'.

Windows-10-10.0.19045 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.0.3.22090809
Refuge of Embers 0.12b
Mon Sep 18 00:19:33 2023
This happens both when denying Raisa to give you both a love bite and when telling her you won't pay for her drinks (Does this influence anything anyway ? I don't want to lock myself out of some content just because of a bug beyond my control )

Last edited:
Reactions: Escape Sauce

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
I am getting an error while talking to Raisa. Does this influence anything anyway?
That's from a missing label that's now fixed in 0.13. Choosing to avoid those 2 scenes changes dialogue in her later scenes for consistency in the story but won't lock you out of future scenes.

It's too long to wait, considering the rate at which updates come out.
Releases are about 60 days apart and version 0.13 was released just under 30 days ago, but we're more than halfway done with 0.14 so far. We had extra time over the summer and tried to do 30 day release windows for 0.13 and 0.14 but it turned out to be more like 45 days.

Qianke

Apr 27, 2019
Well, it's a small team and they had to redoing the intro, redrawn some characters, change some proportions and finish the overall background artwork to present a more professional work.
it's bullshit and you know it, there are 1-man teams that done 10 times more than this in a year. Everything you describe doesn't take more than a couple of days at most. Anyhow, not my circus, so not my monkeys!

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
it's bullshit and you know it, there are 1-man teams that done 10 times more than this in a year. Everything you describe doesn't take more than a couple of days at most. Anyhow, not my circus, so not my monkeys!
No 1 man team would release often with all the game being drawn by hand. In fact, near all 1 man team often make 3Dcg games, that's not coincidence.

Escape Sauce

Refuge of Embers
Game Developer
Oct 4, 2020
As mentioned previously:
The artist's time has always been our limiting factor and I usually write up to a point where we need a new art asset. She works a full time job so we only have about 106 hours per release to work with. An average scene or background takes about 16 hours, animated h-scene takes about 28 hours, and a character sprite takes about 10 hours. In the past a lot of her hours went towards sprites, backgrounds, and GUI, but now that we're finally moving into the romance routes in version 0.15+ we should be able to do 2 animated h-scenes and 3 normal scenes per 60-day release.
Whenever we do an update we get a spike in traffic and the amount we're making each month goes up. Making content as quickly as possible is in our best interest so we go as fast as we can without burning ourselves out. When we eventually hit a tipping point in support the artist can switch to doing this full-time, but in the meantime 106 hours per release is what we have to work with.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
As mentioned previously:

Whenever we do an update we get a spike in traffic and the amount we're making each month goes up. Making content as quickly as possible is in our best interest so we go as fast as we can without burning ourselves out. When we eventually hit a tipping point in support the artist can switch to doing this full-time, but in the meantime 106 hours per release is what we have to work with.
Just ignore the idiots who expect everyone to be able to work at the peak rate of the fastest performers. They're so out of touch with reality, if they weren't so toxic, you'd feel sorry for them.

4xx4

Dec 1, 2022
As mentioned previously:

Honestly the openness about the inside workings of development is awesome. Keep it up, I hope more people support your project because it looks great and I really like the direction it's going in if that means anything.

mixa007

Jan 15, 2022
I received a message that some post of mine was removed from this thread, the reason: “harassing developer.” Moreover, all the latest posts seem to be in place, which means this is some very old post - the moderators work veeeery quickly. :sneaky:

Escape Sauce
I hope everything is okay with you and I didn’t cause serious damage to your physical or psychological state with my “harassment”? :LOL:

3.90 star(s) 34 Votes