Tool Ren'Py Ren'Py Transparent Text Box Mod v2.6.4

5.00 star(s) 6 Votes

Yojiro76

Jul 15, 2020
Hi Penfold Mole!
I just want to thank you for your marvelous work. This mod realy is a game changer and makes playing (and viewing;)) renpy games much more fun than before. I am realy a fan of your work.
Best regards
Yojiro76

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Hi Penfold Mole!
I just want to thank you for your marvelous work. This mod realy is a game changer and makes playing (and viewing;)) renpy games much more fun than before. I am realy a fan of your work.
Best regards
Yojiro76
Thanks! You're being too kind, it's really quite a simple thing from the coding point of view. I wish I had more time and will to learn more Python and more about Ren'Py to make it better. More universal, less dependent on the game design and Ren'Py version...
The main problem is that when I try to add more advanced features to it, it will start to depend more on both of those things and become less universal as a result.

Reactions: golberggg

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Hi Penfold Mole I have problem with "The Denos City" game and your mod.
https://f95zone.to/threads/denos-city-ch-2-1-hotfix-backhole.36499/
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That's because the developer has already added some, possibly edited or an old version of my patch to his game (it's where the difference of the numbers of the conflicting lines comes from). I'm really not in control of that.

What you can do now is:
- first just try to start the game again. It's possible that it will start on the second attempt, after Ren'Py has compiled the rpy file of the newer patch.
- if the first option doesn't work, then you can use unren to extract game files and then copy my patch over the existing y_outline.rpy. It's again possible that the game wont start on the first attempt, so in case it happens, try again.

Please report back, how it goes.

Reactions: Pif paf

Pif paf

Engaged Member
Feb 5, 2018
That's because the developer has already added some, possibly edited or an old version of my patch to his game (it's where the difference of the numbers of the conflicting lines comes from). I'm really not in control of that.

What you can do now is:
- first just try to start the game again. It's possible that it will start on the second attempt, after Ren'Py has compiled the rpy file of the newer patch.
- if the first option doesn't work, then you can use unren to extract game files and then copy my patch over the existing y_outline.rpy. It's again possible that the game wont start on the first attempt, so in case it happens, try again.

Please report back, how it goes.
OK, that's a new perspective for me... So any game that reports back these errors could have your mod incorporated inside .rpa...
In this case, I just deleted mod files.
Now I know what and where to look. Thanks!

Pif paf

Engaged Member
Feb 5, 2018
I guessed that this could be the reason.
UnRen v0.9 development version seems to be free from it and working fine otherwise. It's what I've been using myself lately.

Yes, that was quite obvious. My suggestion to extract rpa archives and then patch the game to replace that old version seemed to work.

This has been highly likely made by the dev himself, otherwise there wouldn't be translation files for y_outline.rpy in there. Quite a few, maybe more than 5 already seem to be doing the same, only a few have been nice to ask first :ROFLMAO:
I don't really mind, but it creates some problems with these games when players are trying to apply my patch on top of it later, as we can see here.

Thank you! I actually never noticed that missing underscore _ there. And as you can guess, I had no idea why the syntax of text buttons in the original Ren'Py code looks like that. I mean about the combination of the underscore and brackets around the button text.
As I understand from what you said, _( ) around some text that is not something that a character says just means that this text gets to be included to translation files, otherwise it won't.
And this is exactly what we can see in Denos City's case, where original code is in Spanish, the game has been patched with my patch before generating translation files and translation file of the y_outline.rpy hasn't been "translated" - all English strings in there are blanks. Probably because quick menu is disabled and unused in this game and the actual code being used is about ten lines or so :rolleyes: - only the part that makes dialog box invisible and creates outlines.

I tried to delete translation files of y_outline as an easy solution, but then the game won't even start any more after that. Well, it starts, but the main menu won't show up. I'm guessing that it's because my patch was there before generating English translation files for the game.
So now I actually repaired that translation file, filled English blanks with the same strings as in Spanish and now it seems to work.

UncleVT ,
Extract attached archive into the root folder of the game and try to load one of the saves. It should work.

By the way, as in other games where Quick Menu has been disabled by the developer somewhere after the label "start", quick menu won't appear in Denos City when you start a new game. You have to save the game once and then load it again to activate the menu ;). One Quick Save and Quick Load will do just fine.
/Note to self
I should add this to the OP, under "known problems", actually. :rolleyes:

Now I removed brackets and underscore from the buttons that should never be translated and added them to tooltips instead, so they could. I will release it like that in the next version.
Thank you for telling me about this feature of Ren'Py, Anne!
Guys, could you please post a link to the Unren 9.x please?
I have tried to search F95 for this but , och well, I'm not that fluent with regex so my search failed

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Reactions: Pif paf

SamHaim

Aug 23, 2019
Thank you a lot for this! I seriously hate the amount of black textbox that blocks half of the screen or models. Easy instructions and voila box gone, cheers.

I was getting triggered constantly since I was getting blocked seeing skirts of beautiful ladies. Alas, no more!
I frickin hate the dark text boxes. Almost no one renders their images with the text box in mind so a significant amount of content is obscured in most games. I don't get why a transparency slider is a default for all Ren'Py games. It seems like a no brainer.

Reactions: Esp``

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
It just means that the game probably doesn't use Ren'Py's default screens or styles or the background has been attached/hardcoded into character definitions. Both are bad solutions to simple problems.

Thanks for letting me know about it, but no promises about adding game-specific modifications to my patch just to make it work with this game. Unfortunately more and more game developers have been starting to use custom configurations that add very little or nothing to Ren'Py defaults, but make it impossible to create simple universal patches by doing so. The number is growing too fast for me to deal with all of them separately. I do this usually for games I'm personally interested about or have been interested at some point. Currently this one doesn't look promising enough to me to bother.

Sorry.

Reactions: SamHaim

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
Hey man, thank you very much! I tried this out in my own game, and afterwards I realised the standard RenPy dialogue box was really in the way of the content. It looks a lot cleaner and it more readable, even when I have a light background, the text is not hard to read. Thank you so much for creating this, you are awesome :D

Reactions: Penfold Mole

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Hey man, thank you very much! I tried this out in my own game, and afterwards I realised the standard RenPy dialogue box was really in the way of the content. It looks a lot cleaner and it more readable, even when I have a light background, the text is not hard to read. Thank you so much for creating this, you are awesome :D
You're very welcome, I'm glad you found my work being useful.
However, as a developer of a game, you don't need the whole patch for your game, unless it's just for trying it out as you did. Most of the content of the patch is just useless garbage for your own game.

If you want to change your own game this way, you only need 5-6 (to change either all text or only dialog text) or 12 lines (to change only dialog, input prompt and input text) to add to your configuration or script files: https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-transparent-text-box-mod-v2-6-2.11925/post-2711928

Quick menu redesign needs a bit more. You can find it between line 200 and 238 in the current version of y_outline.rpy

Last edited:

Deleted member 1684328

Game Developer
Oct 2, 2019
You're very welcome, I'm glad you found my work being useful.
However, as a developer of a game, you don't need the whole patch for your game, unless it's just for trying it out as you did. Most of the content of the patch is just useless garbage for your own game.

If you want to change your own game this way, you only need 5-6 (to change either all text or only dialog text) or 12 lines (to change only dialog, input prompt and input text) to add to your configuration or script files: https://f95zone.to/threads/renpy-transparent-text-box-mod-v2-6-2.11925/post-2711928

Quick menu redesign needs a bit more. You can find it between line 200 and 238 in the current version of y_outline.rpy
I just wanted to try it out, but didn't look through the code yet. I am going to look through it and remove the clutter as you said. Again, thank you so much! :D

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Just released v2.6.3 of my patch.
Among other things it fixes text speed bug and replaces almost invisible text of the narrator and configuration menu buttons of Secret Summer and is able to work with this game again, regardless of the new botched GUI. Took several hours to figure out what is wrong with and what is missing from the styles there that default dialog screen had to be replaced with one with hardcoded properties.
Thanks to this game there is also a feature now added to my patch that restores default control keys for all games where original controls have been remapped. All added controls will remain as they are.

Changelog of v2.6.3:

- AMNESIA [Super Alex] v0.2a - removed most "hardcoded" styling attributes from character definitions, left italic for narrator and thoughts.
- Intertwined [Nyx] v0.3a - removed "hardcoded" styling attributes from character definitions.
- Just Another Bubble [SuperWriter] CH1 - replaced customized dialog and input screens with default ones, so quick menu wouldn't throw an error also replaced dialog box font with Ren'Py default.
- Secret Summer [SuperWriter] v0.4 - something is causing vertical misalignment of the quick menu, custom yalign set to my quick menu as countermeasure; Default text speed set to infinity (= zero value), so the slider is working now correctly, contrary to the original game; Default text style set to my default outlined white from the game default brown that is almost invisible as narrator text; Set up missing dialog, name box and input prompt styles, replaced customized dialog screen with hardcoded properties with the Ren'Py default. The result seems much less horrible than the original. The following feature in changelog also remaps all awkward controls of this game back to defaults.
- Added a feature to my patch that remaps all control keys back to Ren'Py defaults. All additional keys defined by the dev will remain as they are. Exceptions for specific games are possible, so please report any problems with controls in specific games. Would be great if you could give me the value of the config.name variable of the game, so I won't have to download the whole game to add its config.name to my exception list.

Last edited:
5.00 star(s) 6 Votes