Ren'Py Abandoned Research into Corruption [v0.6.10 Bugfix] [Fallen Angel Productions]

3.90 star(s) 13 Votes

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
@DrSmith Can we fuck Amy and Lily in near future? Really expecting it!
Alas not in the near future, if ever.

I'm having quite enough work, dealing with 4 main characters at the moment.
The extended beach map for instance is giving me a headache to get it right: Sarah alone is easy enough but the events when Shannon is also there are getting complicated because of the sandbox style of the game. For each level of Sarah, I have to take into account what level Shannon could be and vice versa.
This will also be the case when starting with the office.

So another 2 women into the game will make it very hard for me to keep track of scores and events to play out (and RPGMV not being a very good engine for these kind of games doesn't help either).

I know the twins are popular with some of you and I thought it would be nice to give them an appearance on the beach, but what happens there will be limited ;)

Reactions: umps

qs1386

Jun 27, 2018
Alas not in the near future, if ever.

I'm having quite enough work, dealing with 4 main characters at the moment.
The extended beach map for instance is giving me a headache to get it right: Sarah alone is easy enough but the events when Shannon is also there are getting complicated because of the sandbox style of the game. For each level of Sarah, I have to take into account what level Shannon could be and vice versa.
This will also be the case when starting with the office.

So another 2 women into the game will make it very hard for me to keep track of scores and events to play out (and RPGMV not being a very good engine for these kind of games doesn't help either).

I know the twins are popular with some of you and I thought it would be nice to give them an appearance on the beach, but what happens there will be limited ;)
I see, I guess the easiest way is to create some thresholds, like if Sarah haven't unlock level X, Shannon also cannot unlock it. Make Sarah control the entire process. Basically, when we apply lotion on Sarah, Shannon peeped. So we can say the corruption of Sarah inspired her to go deeper, otherwise she will hesitate. That make sense ha? Similarly, if we go too deep with sister, the mother should stop us, if she haven't get corrupted enough. It's unnatural not to corrupt the head of the house first.

In that way we can somehow limit the exploded options to a linear-ish story-line. I don't want the sandbox ruin the whole story, That is why I personally always keep the 2 main characters in the house at the relatively same level. Have you ever played the newly rebuilt Private Community, I guess Boomatica had this kinda of headache as well. IMO, Lacking of this kind of threshold mechanism in RIC was a mistake. Otherwise there are just too many things to worry about. Cartesian product can be horrible.

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
I see, I guess the easiest way is to create some thresholds, like if Sarah haven't unlock level X, Shannon also cannot unlock it. Make Sarah control the entire process. Basically, when we apply lotion on Sarah, Shannon peeped. So we can say the corruption of Sarah inspired her to go deeper, otherwise she will hesitate. That make sense ha? Similarly, if we go too deep with sister, the mother should stop us, if she haven't get corrupted enough. It's unnatural not to corrupt the head of the house first.
That's the way the beach is programmed now, but it doesn't make sense to me to let Sarah alone control those events. When the characters are in the same house (like Sarah and Chloe) it's much easier to level them up evenly than characters with totally other events and locations, it just doesn't feel right for me to let just one character control shared events.

In that way we can somehow limit the exploded options to a linear-ish story-line. I don't want the sandbox ruin the whole story, That is why I personally always keep the 2 main characters in the house at the relatively same level. Have you ever played the newly rebuilt Private Community, I guess Boomatica had this kinda of headache as well. IMO, Lacking of this kind of threshold mechanism in RIC was a mistake. Otherwise there are just too many things to worry about. Cartesian product can be horrible.
Heck, I'm a tester for @Boomatica and we talk about the games we develop. So I have played PC (and RiA for that matter) ;)

And there are thresholds in RiC but they are becoming obsolete because they only take 2 characters and their events into account (Sarah and Chloe). Therefore I think that involving the levels of other characters does just to the story: for instance when going to Sarah on the beach while she's just level 1 and I have worked on Shannon first to get her to level 4, I don't expect a prudish behaviour of Shannon because of Sarah's level.
It's more work, sure, but it feels like the right thing to do for me.

Reactions: qs1386

Wedoo

Feb 21, 2018
I have some trouble to unzip the package on mac, it seems to be uncomplete or something like that

Topdown

Aug 25, 2017
Okay, so I just downloaded the game for the first time recently, and I can't save. I keep getting the "img/characers/*file* is missing" error, but from how it was answered earlier, I shouldn't be getting that since it is only supposed to pop up if there is some kind of save incompatibility, and I am only trying to save. I have tried to make the files, it asks me for a !%24Player.png and !%24Goku.png, but the game still gives me those very same errors as if I didn't make them. I tried playing without saving, then I lost when I killed the guy molesting Effie. I want to play the game, but I reasonably can't with this error.

I have also tried deleting the save files in the local/KADOKAWA location and I still get nothing. Does anyone have any idea how to help?

Edit: Okay, nevermind. The game suddenly started allowing me to save. I am confused, but I accept it, even if I don't understand it.

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
any progress on update
Progress is slow:
- Some code is changed for excisting events so I can build from there;
- Beach is now a new map, accessible at all times. So future events can use the beach as location also;
- Tackled the transitions, they run smoother now with less 'black outs';
- Changed the Cheats menu, so that lowering CP's for Sarah and Chloe will also enable a transition event again;
- Found a new modded HS that offers more animations. Firstly I needed to insert my own mods, already used in RiC;
- Now going through the use of the new plugin and how and when I can apply it: the animations are from another Illusion game
and the bone structure of the characters is somewhat different from HS. So I need to find what animations I can use
and when I just need to use it to get the characters in the right position and animate the whole event myself;
- Still working out how to deal with multiple levels for characters in an event (Sarah and Shannon on the beach),
though I think I've found the solution (using flow charts again :p ).

Most of my available time is now spent on finding out how to deal with the new HSS and finding some more mods for events
that I've come up with and need the proper attributes for.

Hoboy

Jul 24, 2017
Progress is slow:
- Beach is now a new map, accessible at all times. So future events can use the beach as location also;
- Changed the Cheats menu, so that lowering CP's for Sarah and Chloe will also enable a transition event again;
- Found a new modded HS that offers more animations. Firstly I needed to insert my own mods, already used in RiC;
- Now going through the use of the new plugin and how and when I can apply it: the animations are from another Illusion game
and the bone structure of the characters is somewhat different from HS. So I need to find what animations I can use
and when I just need to use it to get the characters in the right position and animate the whole event myself;
- Still working out how to deal with multiple levels for characters in an event (Sarah and Shannon on the beach),

Most of my available time is now spent on finding out how to deal with the new HSS and finding some more mods for events
Thank you for the update - your work is much appreciated. I always look forward to anything more in this wonderful adventure...

Di.Vil

Dec 31, 2017
Progress is slow:

Thank you for your hard work ! Looking forward for your next update.

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
A small update:

I managed to get more work needing to be done: I was looking for an alternative for the SRD HUD because it's not quite stable and I had a feeling it was creating lag.
I found a new plugin for a HUD and it tested out ok.
That's when I decided I could upgrade the RPGMV engine from 1.5.1 to 1.6.2 and have done that.

Then I was looking into the new HUD again and I was still not pleased enough with how it reacted when an event was running. So I thought of a new way of using the HUD: it can now be turned on and off by the player (of course there'll be no HUD during an event). But in doing so, I have to go through all the code and make some changes for the proper use of the HUD.
And yes, that's all the code because this plays in every event for all the characters.

Now going through all the code and making the necessary changes, finding bugs, getting more uniformity in the messages and getting a feeling for Sarah and Chloe, so I can write their lines (the events I already have in mind).

It'll still take a while before I'm finished but I think this is another good update in the making :)

AereGo

Jan 11, 2018
I wonder why go all the trouble of heavily modifying RPGM, when it seems like similar result could be achieved easier and better in RenPy? What are the advantages?
The game itself is pretty good.

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
I wonder why go all the trouble of heavily modifying RPGM, when it seems like similar result could be achieved easier and better in RenPy? What are the advantages?
The game itself is pretty good.
Thanks!

I'm using RPGMV because that's what the game was built in when I took over.
I had no previous experience with either RPGMV or Ren'Py and the choice for RPGMV was obvious at that time.

People keep telling me Ren'Py is the most suited engine and I concur. But then I would need to learn Ren'Py and convert the whole game.
That would take an enormous amount of time and with the time available for new releases already very limited, I think it's not the right path at the moment.
I have plans to port it to Ren'Py once it's finished but not in between.

And while I'm still working on releases in RPGMV, I want to do a good job. I'm too much of a perfectionist and I like to explore all the possibilities of the engine (that's the hobby part for me). I also don't want the quality of the original game go to waste.

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
Another small update:

I'm done with programming the new HUD in the paths for Sarah and Chloe. It was a good thing I had to go through all that code because I have found some bugs that I couldn't solve for the last release (and now hopefully are solved).
I have made some alterations to the way things were getting kept track of because I saw some problems in the future for triggering certain events. RPGMV has a limited amount of trigger checks and having too many switches and variables means some events would start before all conditions were met because the checks couldn't cover them all. I had to combine some scores to reduce the number of variables.
This would have meant that starting a new game is required with this release. Realizing that that was also required for the last/current release, I have come up with a conversion tool in the Cheats menu:
Conversion.png

Of course, using an old save and the conversion tool will mean you'll lose some (early stages) content for the Beach, Office and School. But it will be a time saver ;)

Now starting to work on the paths for Effie and Shannon to get the new HUD into those as well (and working through some apps to register the new HUD as well).
After that, I can start with the new content. Plenty of ideas :)

3.90 star(s) 13 Votes