Dave98424

Oct 30, 2017
Jesus christ, the dev delays for the first time since releasing the game and people start throwing out words like "taking advantage" and "abuse", I seriously question people who think these things. Several people have already mentioned how insanely impressive the speed of updates for this game was early on, the dev was releasing 600+ render updates every month and I even remember a period were he released a couple updates every two weeks ,but sadly this type of release schedule isn't maintainable for anyone who still has a fulltime job and I'm frankly surprised the dev managed to keep it up for over a year.

Is it sad that we might not have monthly updates anymore? Yes. Is it understandable that making monthly updates with a fulltime job is hard to do? yes. What is the average update release time for most games on this website? every 2-3 months.
Some developers are able to do quality updates every month and others take months to years to do a small update. The rate of update a developer chooses is fine. The problem arises when they charge monthly but fail to deliver. If the developer wants to take things slow and only update a few times a year or longer they should charge per update instead of monthly and 99% of the complaints go away.

• Angry
Reactions: TheDwayneTrain

honihole

Oct 5, 2017
Mmmm, sadly the complaining will never go away. Example: everyone knows of AWAM, yes? And possibly A Mother's Love (Another is The Headmaster*). These developers are known to have bi-yearly release times. Most people don't seem to mind, and they tell everyone this. And yet..... complaints. And we have to listen to them all .

*if you're not familiar, do check it out. Interactive, really developed characters, funny. And he delivers in that time - in spades.

Reactions: TheDwayneTrain
Jun 15, 2017
Some developers are able to do quality updates every month and others take months to years to do a small update. The rate of update a developer chooses is fine. The problem arises when they charge monthly but fail to deliver. If the developer wants to take things slow and only update a few times a year or longer they should charge per update instead of monthly and 99% of the complaints go away.
Before I say anything I'm going to say I mainly play renpy and unity games so I can't speak for games made on different engines they could be made faster but I rarely find a developer that updates monthly and If they do It's usually 200-300 renders at most, however most mainstream games on here release every 2-3 months and that's being generous. I'm also confused on your point about payment plans because You'll be hard pressed to find many devs on this website that charge per update rather then per month, in fact I can't even think of one of the top of my head but of course I do know they exist. The problem with charging per update is that it is simply not enough income to sustain most peoples daily lives. It's pretty simple If you like a game that someone makes and want more you can support them, If enough people support them then they could possibly turn it into their fulltime job meaning faster and better updates. You can't be angry at someone for having one delay because of their fulltime job or general life and then decide to start boycotting them and expect them to continue to make the game you enjoy for little to no money. The comments you're making make perfect sense for a Dev who has repeatedly delayed their game with random excuses, not for someone who has done it once like Kalyha.

Last edited:

otoboke

Nov 6, 2019
Before I say anything I'm going to say I mainly play renpy and unity games so I can't speak for games made on different engines they could be made faster but I rarely find a developer that updates monthly and If they do It's usually 200-300 renders at most, however most mainstream games on here release every 2-3 months and that's being generous.
I would say there is no any game engine, developers on which, delivers faster than on Renpy. We can take a look at devs of Karryn's Prison, dudes with thousands of supporters and blessed by community for their stable and pro-level performance, at least no one complaining about slow work. They doing updates every 3-4 months, and this is the team of two, drawning artist + coder.

Reactions: Blah Blah Blah

Kakato

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2017
I'll just say this : if the dev lost interest in working on this game, he should do a big final update, complete it and move on to something else. In 5 years I'm on this site, I got used to multiple threads where the Devs showed signs of boredom and demotivation - This is the case here. There's nothing worse than working without any motivation or passion on something. It destroys anyone from the inside.

Jun 15, 2017
I'll just say this : if the dev lost interest in working on this game, he should do a big final update, complete it and move on to something else. In 5 years I'm on this site, I got used to multiple threads where the Devs showed signs of boredom and demotivation - This is the case here. There's nothing worse than working without any motivation or passion on something. It destroys anyone from the inside.
I 100% agree with everything here, I just think everyone is jumping the gun a bit after only one delay. I would say the bigger sign of possible demotivation and boredom is the fact that the dev has already made a new game without finishing this one. I would like to say worse case scenario he pauses this game and works on the other for a while until he gets the motivation back ,but again I think everyone is drawing too many conclusions from this games very first delay after 1 year and half of development.

3.90 star(s) 155 Votes