kkai

Dec 21, 2016
I was about to give this one a try when I decided to check out the reviews. One of them brought me to a complete standstill.
Kukothemadhatter Anyone [empathizing] with the [characters], should be warned... bad things happen to some characters that make Acting lesson and Game of Thrones look like a walk in the [park]
I'll admit that Acting Lessons ripped me to shreds. I couldn't even bring myself to review it and avoid even thinking about it to this day. It was a piece of art, amazing in so many ways, but hurt me so much I never want to play another game like it again. Would y'all agree with Kukothemadhatter that Retrieving the Past is probably not for me? I just wanted to get additional input since such things can be pretty subjective.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
I was about to give this one a try when I decided to check out the reviews. One of them brought me to a complete standstill.I'll admit that Acting Lessons ripped me to shreds. I couldn't even bring myself to review it and avoid even thinking about it to this day. It was a piece of art, amazing in so many ways, but hurt me so much I never want to play another game like it again. Would y'all agree with Kukothemadhatter that Retrieving the Past is probably not for me? I just wanted to get additional input since such things can be pretty subjective.
I don't know where he got that from (better ask him directly) but for me there was no gut-punch like AL's ep. 6 in this. It's real life and there's rape (not shown, just heard) but that's about it.

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
I was about to give this one a try when I decided to check out the reviews. One of them brought me to a complete standstill.I'll admit that Acting Lessons ripped me to shreds. I couldn't even bring myself to review it and avoid even thinking about it to this day. It was a piece of art, amazing in so many ways, but hurt me so much I never want to play another game like it again. Would y'all agree with Kukothemadhatter that Retrieving the Past is probably not for me? I just wanted to get additional input since such things can be pretty subjective.
#NoFear

RogueKnightUK

Co-Writer: Retrieving The Past
Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
Great question. Kukothemadhatter is quite right in saying that some pretty unpleasant things happen in this story. There's a pretty dark tale being told. Characters can and do get hurt. That said, it's never such a surprise here as it was in Acting Lessons - at no point are you lulled into thinking this is a sweet and simple story, only to suddenly have unexpected murder and mayhem on your hands.

So, whether or not this is for you will depend on which part of AL got to you. If you were fine with dark tales where you expected some dark events, like say Depraved Awakening, then you'll also be fine with RTP. We're not out to trick you or pull a massive switch in genres. However, we have a plot that more than just brushes against violence, molestation, and organised crime. Characters can be hurt, groped, or even kidnapped. You have to trust in the hero to save the day - and trust we allowed endings where he can do so.

Reactions: Famescua and kkai

kkai

Dec 21, 2016
@WaltS, @xcrash, @RogueKnightUK: Thanks all. That actually gave me enough details to think I'll be okay with it. I'll give it a shot and will be sure to review it (unless I pull an AL response hehe) and give my non-spoiler thoughts on this matter to help other softies like me. :) I did play AL to the end and indeed only one thing did me in, everything else I loved.

MegaNZ

Jun 9, 2018
That's it for me then, end of the line here now that I heard that. Not going through another "Acting Lessons" depression. That's really sad because I was really liking how this game was going too.

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
That's it for me then, end of the line here now that I heard that. Not going through another "Acting Lessons" depression. That's really sad because I was really liking how this game was going too.
If you were okay with Acting Lessons when Melissa had an abusive home relationship and got beaten, because while unpleasant it was handled responsibly in the story, then you will be absolutely fine with RTP. That's the sort of level we're really talking about. We'll do our best to have a story that engages you, sometimes makes you scared for a character, but never, ever, goes out of its way to just have shock for shock's sake, and never tries to break your heart.

Reactions: rogosh and kkai

kkai

Dec 21, 2016
From the comments above I think it'll be okay (at least for me). But I'll guinea pig for you MegaNZ.
is this the AL hate thread or what it seems you guys talking more about other games then this one anyway added the android ver to op.
Not at all. I feel my question was completely legitimate and could not be reasonably construed as hating on AL.

MegaNZ

Jun 9, 2018
If you were okay with Acting Lessons when Melissa had an abusive home relationship and got beaten, because while unpleasant it was handled responsibly in the story, then you will be absolutely fine with RTP. That's the sort of level we're really talking about. We'll do our best to have a story that engages you, sometimes makes you scared for a character, but never, ever, goes out of its way to just have shock for shock's sake, and never tries to break your heart.
With Acting Lessons having to choose between who to save from the fire was too heavy of a price to pay. Then to top it off the ending just reopened those wounds all over again. Anything like that happening in RTP is enough for me to cut the game short and abandon it.

Reactions: RogueKnightUK

RogueKnightUK

Game Developer
Jul 10, 2018
With Acting Lessons having to choose between who to save from the fire was too heavy of a price to pay. Then to top it off the ending just reopened those wounds all over again. Anything like that happening in RTP is enough for me to cut the game short and abandon it.
Nothing like that.

Reactions: kkai
3.80 star(s) 77 Votes