Psbaasi

Jun 29, 2020
Game is good so far, only thing I'm not liking is the blood in the scenes. Any way to turn it off? It's an instant turn off for me

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Game is good so far, only thing I'm not liking is the blood in the scenes. Any way to turn it off? It's an instant turn off for me
Nope, sorry no way to turn it off at the moment. But, I'll think about adding a possible toggle for it in a future update.

Reactions: sfoMMA85

ComixFan

Apr 15, 2019
I did a search for "Do Over" but I couldn't find how to use it. Do you have to start over for it to work or can you make changes and use Mind Blowers?

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I did a search for "Do Over" but I couldn't find how to use it. Do you have to start over for it to work or can you make changes and use Mind Blowers?
You can use Do Over with a new game, an existing save, or a Mindblower. It's not useable on main menu, you must be in a scene for it to become active first.

The Do Over menus main use is to act like a fancy skip button, but it can also be used to see or change past actions. From either a new game or existing save, set the choices you want Morty to have taken. Then if desired, from Day Selector you can jump to any past day or future day to start playing from there. Or you can close the menu and choices will be applied into your current game or mindblower.

Most choices have a minor dialogue impact in future scenes. Do Over options won't change a current scene path (anything from a choice menu in that scene), use rollback to select a different scene outcome during that scene.

You can indeed use Do Over in a Mindblower, but note that changes made in a mindblower will carry back into your game.

Smudgey

Nov 7, 2017
I just wanna say this is a huge quality of life improvement compared to the original, well done. If you add any additional scenes to previous days in future updates, could you make sure to add their specific locations in the changelog? I'd like to view them without having to replay the entire game each patch.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I just wanna say this is a huge quality of life improvement compared to the original, well done. If you add any additional scenes to previous days in future updates, could you make sure to add their specific locations in the changelog? I'd like to view them without having to replay the entire game each patch.
I will do my best to include as much detail as I can in the change log (see the r2.0 log to get an idea). You shouldn't ever have to replay the whole game (unless you want to) as the vast majority of new content will be accessible from Mind Blowers. If I do put a new scene from Ferdafs in a past day (wont know if I need to until I get the content), it will be clearly listed as to where it is and the fastest way to see it (outside of Mind Blowers). I'm also working on a new feature for the Do Over page that will indicate where new/updated scenes are.

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but... why the fuck does this need 1.5GiB of RAM and nearly a full CPU core when idling? Is it just unoptimized, or is there some shady shit (bad pun, still intended) going on here? Assuming it isn't something shady, what is it?

Also, there's a second serious memory usage issue - if you skip, memory usage will steadily climb over 4GiB, which I think is the result of a lot of new objects being allocated in Python and the GC not kicking in? This doesn't happen in other RenPy games, so it's not the engine (and I always systematically delete the bundled library files / renpy files from game distributions in favor of a local -march=native optimized SDK, so it absolutely isn't due to varying versions of RenPy or its dependencies).

That said: nice work, this is a really nice improvement over the Unity version. Any plans on content that isn't in the original?

Edit for clarity: this came out harsher than intended, I think. I think that the default assumption ought to be "didn't bother optimizing because who cares?" and not "shady shit". Hell, before crypto, "extra CPU usage" wouldn't have even made me suspect this particular kind of shady shit...

Last edited:

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but... why the fuck does this need 1.5GiB of RAM and nearly a full CPU core when idling? Is it just unoptimized, or is there some shady shit (bad pun, still intended) going on here? Assuming it isn't something shady, what is it?

Also, there's a second serious memory usage issue - if you skip, memory usage will steadily climb over 4GiB, which I think is the result of a lot of new objects being allocated in Python and the GC not kicking in? This doesn't happen in other RenPy games, so it's not the engine (and I always systematically delete the bundled library files / renpy files from game distributions in favor of a local -march=native optimized SDK, so it absolutely isn't due to varying versions of RenPy or its dependencies).

That said: nice work, this is a really nice improvement over the Unity version. Any plans on content that isn't in the original?

Edit for clarity: this came out harsher than intended, I think. I think that the default assumption ought to be "didn't bother optimizing because who cares?" and not "shady shit". Hell, before crypto, "extra CPU usage" wouldn't have even made me suspect this particular kind of shady shit...
I've never seen it do that. I'm not sure how much I can do to optimize, renpy isn't really an engine you can optimize that I'm aware of... But I'll certainly look at the documentation and see if I missed something.

What platform are you playing on?

I just tried skipping through all of r2.0 and this was average stats:
1621291615649.png
The biggest peek was: 10% CPU, 650~MB, and 19% GPU.
Idle with no animation: 0.3% CPU, 487MB, and 0% GPU.
Idle with animation: 1.5-3.5% CPU, 640~MB, and 15-22 %GPU.
(For animations I just averaged between some minimal and max movements, it's just video.)

You said you're running on a local version of the engine, maybe that is causing issues somehow?

As to content, yes. I do plan to add more expanded sequences here is the post talking about the plans for r3.0:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rick-and-morty-another-way-home-r2-0-night-mirror.79138/post-5721805

Edit:
It's also worth mentioning that the Python in this project (outside of the engine which I am using stock as provided when building) is VERY limited. Most of it is in scripts.rpy (to make data structure classes and some variable setting functions), and messaging.rpy which runs the "text" messaging parts of the game. All the rest is just basic renpy dialogue and images.

I also spent a good portion of today looking through both renpy documentation and help tickets and there is no mention of this issue. So, uh... I don't know what more I can do to optimize for you if I can't reproduce the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reality Mode

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
So if i skip an event, it still canonically happens in the story, you just don't see it?
Correct, this is not a branching game as I am working with existing assets and alternate options often means creating new assets. The reminder text is mostly for multi-scene plotlines. An example is: Art lessons with Beth. If you skip the first two scenes but still do the third, the third wouldn't make a lot of sense. And adding branching into the game for every scene was well beyond the scope of this project.

In hindsight, I am sort of regretting putting in skip options as it's caused a lot of confusion (maybe I just need to improve the wording or something?). But this game also has a lot of fetishes that aren't for everyone and I wanted players to have an opt out option of specific scenes without having to fast forward or close the game.

All that being said, is there a specific scene that brought this question up? It might be in my list to get an alternate path and if it's not, I might be able to add it.

johndoe19

May 31, 2019
That's what I thought, I just wanted to clarify. The lack of branching paths is understandable on your part, due to you not being the developer of the game, so I don't blame you at all. And to your credit, i think the skip option is implemented well enough. It's more of a problem with me specifically. Even if i skip something, knowing it still happened canonically will always be in the back of my mind while playing and bother me.

As for the specific scene/scenes, it's mostly the sharing content that's in the game. Like the gangbang with morticia and the meeseeks, the stuff with anti-morty, some of the lesbian stuff as well. I can get more specific if need be, and I understand the limitations you have in what you can do. I'm just surprised Ferdafs didn't provide an alternative to that stuff when he did already with tricia and the teacher.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
That's what I thought, I just wanted to clarify. The lack of branching paths is understandable on your part, due to you not being the developer of the game, so I don't blame you at all. And to your credit, i think the skip option is implemented well enough. It's more of a problem with me specifically. Even if i skip something, knowing it still happened canonically will always be in the back of my mind while playing and bother me.

As for the specific scene/scenes, it's mostly the sharing content that's in the game. Like the gangbang with morticia and the meeseeks, the stuff with anti-morty, some of the lesbian stuff as well. I can get more specific if need be, and I understand the limitations you have in what you can do. I'm just surprised Ferdafs didn't provide an alternative to that stuff when he did already with tricia and the teacher.
Well, the Meesex scene is getting an alternate path with just Morty and Morticia (I've actually already finished it for the next update). The gangbang with the loco mortys is also in my list to do as well. I think I can get to it this version (I still have a month and a half) and it feels pretty easy to do, but no promises.

Not sure if there is anything I can really do about anti-morty, or Tricia/Summer scenes since Morty isn't there for those. I'll give it more of a think. They aren't in my list but I'll add them as a content request.

There are very few choices in the Unity game. The Tricia/teacher scene is pretty small with 10~ish images, compared to the Meesex scene which is almost 200 images. Maybe just too much extra work? Branching can get really messy really quickly.

johndoe19

May 31, 2019
Well, the Meesex scene is getting an alternate path with just Morty and Morticia (I've actually already finished it for the next update). The gangbang with the loco mortys is also in my list to do as well. I think I can get to it this version (I still have a month and a half) and it feels pretty easy to do, but no promises.

Not sure if there is anything I can really do about anti-morty, or Tricia/Summer scenes since Morty isn't there for those. I'll give it more of a think. They aren't in my list but I'll add them as a content request.

There are very few choices in the Unity game. The Tricia/teacher scene is pretty small with 10~ish images, compared to the Meesex scene which is almost 200 images. Maybe just too much extra work? Branching can get really messy really quickly.
Hey, even that bit of options you're working on implementing into the game goes a long way in my opinion. As for the other stuff, if you can find a way to give them an alternate path, that's great, If you can't, that's fine as well. You are already doing some great work bringing the game over to renpy and I appreciate you just listening to my feedback at all.

Reality Mode

Jul 18, 2018
I've never seen it do that. I'm not sure how much I can do to optimize, renpy isn't really an engine you can optimize that I'm aware of... But I'll certainly look at the documentation and see if I missed something.

What platform are you playing on?

I just tried skipping through all of r2.0 and this was average stats:
View attachment 1200066
The biggest peek was: 10% CPU, 650~MB, and 19% GPU.
Idle with no animation: 0.3% CPU, 487MB, and 0% GPU.
Idle with animation: 1.5-3.5% CPU, 640~MB, and 15-22 %GPU.
(For animations I just averaged between some minimal and max movements, it's just video.)

You said you're running on a local version of the engine, maybe that is causing issues somehow?

As to content, yes. I do plan to add more expanded sequences here is the post talking about the plans for r3.0:
https://f95zone.to/threads/rick-and-morty-another-way-home-r2-0-night-mirror.79138/post-5721805

Edit:
It's also worth mentioning that the Python in this project (outside of the engine which I am using stock as provided when building) is VERY limited. Most of it is in scripts.rpy (to make data structure classes and some variable setting functions), and messaging.rpy which runs the "text" messaging parts of the game. All the rest is just basic renpy dialogue and images.

I also spent a good portion of today looking through both renpy documentation and help tickets and there is no mention of this issue. So, uh... I don't know what more I can do to optimize for you if I can't reproduce the problem.
I'm on arm64-linux, and it's likely that neither renpy nor python itself is optimized for this platform, but that shouldn't account for the RAM weirdness. I think the GPU shares RAM with the CPU on here, but that shouldn't be so significant, and definitely shouldn't result in unbounded growth.

I suspect the issue is with some interaction between RenPy and the GPU driver, because the GPU driver is typically what complains of memory exhaustion when the process hits the limits I imposed. I apologize again for the overly accusatory tone of the initial post on the matter.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal now that I'm aware of it and can work around it, but it's a bit of a nuisance. That said, even 450M for something like this seems like a lot, but that's - as you pointed out - likely an intrinsic part of using RenPy. In my experience, asset loading / caching in RenPy needs work to be efficient.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I'm on arm64-linux, and it's likely that neither renpy nor python itself is optimized for this platform, but that shouldn't account for the RAM weirdness. I think the GPU shares RAM with the CPU on here, but that shouldn't be so significant, and definitely shouldn't result in unbounded growth.

I suspect the issue is with some interaction between RenPy and the GPU driver, because the GPU driver is typically what complains of memory exhaustion when the process hits the limits I imposed. I apologize again for the overly accusatory tone of the initial post on the matter.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal now that I'm aware of it and can work around it, but it's a bit of a nuisance. That said, even 450M for something like this seems like a lot, but that's - as you pointed out - likely an intrinsic part of using RenPy. In my experience, asset loading / caching in RenPy needs work to be efficient.
Sadly I'm not sure there is much more I can do here. The linux version is there because it was easy to output, just like Mac, but I don't really use linux. I will keep looking to see if there is a step I'm missing or something to make it run better on linux.

Again, I'm not really sure what else I can do where loading / caching is concerned. Ren'Py handles all that as part of the engine and at least from the documentation I've read I don't see anything on optimization. Do you have an example or document you can point me to? I'd like to make the game the best it can be, but, it is free and there is only so much I can do to improve it.

4.90 star(s) 96 Votes