WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
you have been doing this "slicing" for every new patch, I dont know what is it purpose... but why (If i get it right...)are you doing it now again for the whole game? To reduce the files sizes?
Yes, it is to reduce files. My favorite thing to come of this (stick with me now) is that currently this game's images are actually slightly lower quality than the original. This is also in order to lower file size. As an artist (dumbass) I was able to pick up on the small quality drop immediately, but it's just a small nitpick rather than an experience breaking issue.

However, now with image slicing, Night Mirror has said that the file size is small enough that he can release an HD pack of all the images without image quality loss AND without such a giant file size (The original, uncompressed, none sliced images alone are over 6 GB, and lossless(uncompressed), sliced I think are around 1 GB, compressed/lossy even less). The game itself however will still be both sliced and compressed(lower quality images), so the HD file pack will be like a mod of a mod, that I'm excited to get.

The animations can't really go through the same process though, (it's a bit complicated so I'll just leave it at that) so they'll still be slightly lower quality. Again, not game breaking, but worth noting for nurds. The animations I currently have for Ballfondlers Missionary POV (break, slow, norm, fast, xray for break, slow, norm, fast, various facial expressions, etc.) are currently all less than 2 MB lossless in file size (lossless WebP images{with .png extension} plus sum rempy cod), so I think that they can make it into the HD pack, unlike the other animations which are like maybe 10 MB lossy for animations with speed/face variations since they're video files. Night Mirror said that all animations (that are video files) in the game not compressed are over 5 GB.

post where Night Mirror showed the file sizes of original/uncompressed non sliced files:
lunk

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Well night I another crazy suggestion for the board. The scene after morty wakes up after Rick used the reversal chud stuff. how would you feel about a scene where Morty and Morticia are talking and find out not all of him has changed back yet. its not as big as it was with Beth but enough for her.
Unfortunately one I don't think that would fit in the game (that's what she said).

you have been doing this "slicing" for every new patch, I dont know what is it purpose... but why (If i get it right...)are you doing it now again for the whole game? To reduce the files sizes?
Pretty much exactly the reason WatsonTouya said, file size reduction and ability to offer a higher quality image to players that want it (6GB dl is crazy big) (and help bring the size down from some android users). Additionally, (most likely the next, next update (r3.7)), this will also allow me to add blinks to almost all static images (the programming and files are already there, so technically, characters will be blinking in r3.6, but as the art is currently transparent, the animation isn't visible).

Sep 11, 2021
Well, things have been boring, so while we continue the long wait to the next update, to help pass the time (or at least kill a few seconds...) I thought I'd throw out a fun(?) question post for everyone.

What is your favorite scene(s) of the game? (and bonus question why?)
I love the extra scenes you've thrown in. Especially the lesbian scenes. If i have any complaints, it's that those scenes don't go far enough. A full-blown Summer, Wild Summer, Morticia threesome would've been epic!!!

Stickymicky

Sep 30, 2017
If you're still taking requests, I'd like to request Arthricia, consensual/rape, cause I'm a furry degenerate.

Pregnancy and defloration would be a nice touch too.

Thanks for all the great work so far as well!

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
If you're still taking requests, I'd like to request Arthricia, consensual/rape, cause I'm a furry degenerate.

Pregnancy and defloration would be a nice touch too.

Thanks for all the great work so far as well!
Unfortunately, new characters are beyond my ability to draw. I'm not really an artist, and while I can do editing, brand new art from me isn't going to be great. Arthricia would be great to see, but that will be up to Ferdafs to add.

I've talked about pregnancy in past posts, so I'll be brief, but until Ferdafs adds it, I'm holding off. Defloration is in the game for most characters who are virgins.

Reactions: Stickymicky

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Any guesses on next release date?
I posted it in the other thread, since the release for this game is tied to that one. But here it is.

Updates have been lagging a bit for the past couple of rounds. They used to be fairly consistently two months, but it seems like Ferdafs has moved into 3 month release windows.

The last release was March 22nd (and Dec 7th before that (and Sept 13th before that)), so, if Ferdafs sticks with 3 months, likely sometime near the end of June or early/mid July. But until Ferdafs gives us a date, it's all just guesses. Hell, we could be super lucky and it could go back to 2 months, then it would be the end of May (but that feels very unlikely).

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Hello, I followed the link to this forum to report bugs/issues. There are some typos I found while playing, but I don't know how to properly reference them. Is there a hotkey to expose a scene/dialog reference? Or should I just give the full string so someone can search/replace it? I don't know enough about Renpy to edit the dialog strings myself to create some kind of diff or patch.

Additionally, I am curious how much flexibility is allowed for the text engine. I notice it can skip/omit dialog strings based on previous choices, but can it also have A/B dialog depending on the status of the various flags? The plot for me is one of the best parts of the game; I think there are a couple places that it could be improved (e.g. when Jerry is proposing family movie night, Wild Summer is as pissed off as Normal Summer, but one scene later she's back to fawning over Jerry again; it seems like the dialog about it not being just her and Jerry needed to be moved up to explain why she wasn't intrested).

I get that the primary goal is to show the maximum amount of scenes and there should definitely be that option available for people who want to experience all the content in one playthrough. But I would love to see an option for consequential choices, at least within the limits of available content. It doesn't make sense that violating or obeying both end up with a character mad at you, just for different reasons. I feel like all the flags of dialog choices you are meticulously tracking could be used to remove/reorder plot to better focus on the player's favorites scenes.

Last minor request: Female Rick's name should be a variant like Rickette or Ricki (just like Morty/Morticia) with its own color. It just seems really jarring to read content that is obviously not meant to be futa or gay but is all like "Rick sucks the cock faster" ya know? Also helps future proof a case where Female Rick is ever in same scene as original Rick.

Thanks again for your efforts, it is by far the best adult game I've played.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Hello, I followed the link to this forum to report bugs/issues. There are some typos I found while playing, but I don't know how to properly reference them. Is there a hotkey to expose a scene/dialog reference? Or should I just give the full string so someone can search/replace it? I don't know enough about Renpy to edit the dialog strings myself to create some kind of diff or patch.
Give me a list of the typos and I'll put in fixes with the next patch. I only need the word that's wrong and I can search it and fix it. If it's a grammatical issues, more context is better.

Additionally, I am curious how much flexibility is allowed for the text engine. I notice it can skip/omit dialog strings based on previous choices, but can it also have A/B dialog depending on the status of the various flags? The plot for me is one of the best parts of the game; I think there are a couple places that it could be improved (e.g. when Jerry is proposing family movie night, Wild Summer is as pissed off as Normal Summer, but one scene later she's back to fawning over Jerry again; it seems like the dialog about it not being just her and Jerry needed to be moved up to explain why she wasn't intrested).
I can put anything into the text engine that I want, most limitations are self imposed as I don't want to deviate too far off the path of the Unity game. While the game doesn't have true branching paths, it will remember some past actions to add some flavor.

For Family Movie Night, I'm aware Wild Summer's dialog is a little off, but it didn't bother enough too correct it (also I was rushing to finish (that's what she said) and that was one of the last scenes to get worked on in that update, so it just didn't get as much attention as I normally would have given it). But I'll give it another looking over and try to improve it somewhat.

I get that the primary goal is to show the maximum amount of scenes and there should definitely be that option available for people who want to experience all the content in one playthrough. But I would love to see an option for consequential choices, at least within the limits of available content. It doesn't make sense that violating or obeying both end up with a character mad at you, just for different reasons. I feel like all the flags of dialog choices you are meticulously tracking could be used to remove/reorder plot to better focus on the player's favorites scenes.
Unfortunately that is beyond the scope of this project. As I'm not creating the content (this is a remake of the unity version game), omitting scenes may lead to a dead end states in the future. That is sadly the nature of a fan remake. So, it's not a tracking flag issue, it's a content issue. Yeah, it is a little strange some characters aren't that concerned over some of Morty's actions, but it is sort of the best I can do with what I have.

Last minor request: Female Rick's name should be a variant like Rickette or Ricki (just like Morty/Morticia) with its own color. It just seems really jarring to read content that is obviously not meant to be futa or gay but is all like "Rick sucks the cock faster" ya know? Also helps future proof a case where Female Rick is ever in same scene as original Rick.
In the next update, you will be able to change the names of most major characters, including Rick, both of them.

Thanks again for your efforts, it is by far the best adult game I've played.
Glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for sharing feedback! It does really help me improve the game when people can point out issues with it. I'm just one person and I can't find everything (plus it's hard to see some issues from the inside). So far the community has been great helping me improve the game for the better!

Reactions: PussMaster

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Give me a list of the typos and I'll put in fixes with the next patch. I only need the word that's wrong and I can search it and fix it. If it's a grammatical issues, more context is better.
I assume you mean in this thread? Or is there a separate one for bug reports or do you mean DM?

I can put anything into the text engine that I want, most limitations are self imposed as I don't want to deviate too far off the path of the Unity game. While the game doesn't have true branching paths, it will remember some past actions to add some flavor.
That's good to know. I'm assuming that you can clone/copy the existing scenes, i.e. if scene of Beth talking to Summer, then scene of Beth talking to Morty, could insert Beth talking to Summer to add extra dialog. I understand what you mean about deviation but I do think there's some opportunities to take creative license, as you did by adding the infinite credit card to get around the original's money minigame events, etc.

Unfortunately that is beyond the scope of this project. As I'm not creating the content (this is a remake of the unity version game), omitting scenes may lead to a dead end states in the future. That is sadly the nature of a fan remake. So, it's not a tracking flag issue, it's a content issue. Yeah, it is a little strange some characters aren't that concerned over some of Morty's actions, but it is sort of the best I can do with what I have.
I understand. What about an option to make a "playlist" using save points? The problem with Mind Blowers is that there's no easy way to include the context even if the buildup or prior choices is part of what made the action itself so hot. Some have context as an extra dialog option, e.g. Zoo Breeding, but I'm sure you if do that for all of them the one-handed-typers will be upset. Let's say I wanted to watch the entire progression of Morty/Tricia relationship contiguously including dialog that would be missing if I just watch Mind Blowers one after another. Would there be any easy way to implement that? What if I could save at the beginning of each Tricia-focused event and then have some way to jump to the next save point with a hotkey?

Thanks.

WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
Hey, Night Mirror, I was wondering if after slicing the original images, you converted them to lossless WebP? If not, I was wondering if you'd be able to tell the size difference between actual pngs and lossless webps (for all sliced images). Just a little curious boop.

Mar 24, 2020
O M F G... I have finally, FINALLY, finished the main slicing implementation!
View attachment 1823691
I have literally spent more than 300 hours on this and it felt like a task that would never possibly be completed, but at long fucking last the main process is done! That means all images that can be sliced in the game have been.

I still have more work to do on it (because of course), but the next big task is to check for slicing errors and compression artifacting. That requires a full playthrough which will take me around another week or so to do. And everything in yellow still needs to have blink artwork made (again, most likely not until r3.7).

The playthrough will also help me with the new nickname/petname system as well (as that isn't a simple search and replace as I want terms to alternate in dialog).

Anyhow... back to work... I'll leave you guys with some more fun WTF images that came out of the slicing process...
View attachment 1823696 View attachment 1823697 View attachment 1823698 View attachment 1823699 View attachment 1823700 View attachment 1823701 View attachment 1823702

Lol! Tho the 5th one with Beth looks like a picture you'd find in an art gallery.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I assume you mean in this thread? Or is there a separate one for bug reports or do you mean DM?
Here is fine, DM is fine, I'm not picky. Wherever you are comfortable sharing them. Most people tend to put them in this thread.

I'm assuming that you can clone/copy the existing scenes
I'm not sure what you mean by clone an existing scene, but I can insert new dialog as needed.

I understand. What about an option to make a "playlist" using save points? The problem with Mind Blowers is that there's no easy way to include the context even if the buildup or prior choices is part of what made the action itself so hot. Some have context as an extra dialog option, e.g. Zoo Breeding, but I'm sure you if do that for all of them the one-handed-typers will be upset. Let's say I wanted to watch the entire progression of Morty/Tricia relationship contiguously including dialog that would be missing if I just watch Mind Blowers one after another. Would there be any easy way to implement that? What if I could save at the beginning of each Tricia-focused event and then have some way to jump to the next save point with a hotkey?
To my knowledge no such system to make a custom playlist of scenes exists in Renpy (replay galleries is as close as we get), so it would have to be something I build from scratch. No idea how to do something like that, but I'll add it onto the feature section of the request list and look into it when I have a chance.

Pretty much all of the replay scenes are the full scenes (some do subdivide scenes, but most of those have a continue option, or are the next event in the gallery). Most replays do have the option to skip forward to the hot stuff (when the scene is long (or it really bothers me (or if someone asks for a skip))), but otherwise, they should have most of the context to that scene.

Hey, Night Mirror, I was wondering if after slicing the original images, you converted them to lossless WebP? If not, I was wondering if you'd be able to tell the size difference between actual pngs and lossless webps (for all sliced images). Just a little curious boop.
I assume you're asking about compressed vs uncompressed sizes? The compression process changes the file types (not the name, since that would break the project). Here are is the folder comparison:

Uncompressed PNG files:
1653324619107.png

Medium level compressed webm (with the png extension) files:
1653324761169.png
The number of files is not exactly the same (this is an older compression from the day I finished the slicing process, but hadn't put them in the game yet) and the top one also includes the GUI images (which I don't compress). Additionally, I'm current in the process of testing the slicing implementation, so I'm adding/removing/altering files in the master (and will have to re-compress them again at the end to ensure all files are the same in both versions).

If I have time, I do want to test different levels of compression (mostly low and med) to see if there is a noticeable quality or size difference between them, but, working on other stuff at the moment.

WatsonTouya

Dec 17, 2019
If I have time, I do want to test different levels of compression (mostly low and med) to see if there is a noticeable quality or size difference between them, but, working on other stuff at the moment.
That's fine, but I wanted to know if you knew that/ let you know that simply converting a normal png to a webp with no compression, or lossless webp can still reduce file size. I know that the base game should still be compressed, but I was thinking that it would be nice to save the extra bit of file size for the HD file pack. I tested the size (only for one image cuz lazy) and there was about a 30% reduction in file size from png to lossless webp. So for the HD file pack, that would turn the file size from 1.7 GB to possibly around 1.2 GB. It may not be much of a difference, but I still think it's nice. Just putting out there in case. take yo tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
: p

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
That's fine, but I wanted to know if you knew that/ let you know that simply converting a normal png to a webp with no compression, or lossless webp can still reduce file size. I know that the base game should still be compressed, but I was thinking that it would be nice to save the extra bit of file size for the HD file pack. I tested the size (only for one image cuz lazy) and there was about a 30% reduction in file size from png to lossless webp. So for the HD file pack, that would turn the file size from 1.7 GB to possibly around 1.2 GB. It may not be much of a difference, but I still think it's nice. Just putting out there in case. take yo tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime
: p
I think it will be too much effort to maintain yet another project version. I can't work directly with webp files (not supported by my main art program), so I'd need to keep a master png version, a compressed version, and a webp version (and a patch version), then update specific files in each with fixes or updates. Plus, I'd need to write a script to convert the base pngs to webp.

I think if people are getting the uncompressed pack, they understand that it will be larger. Still, thanks for the suggestion, I just think it is a bit too much in this case.

Reactions: WatsonTouya

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Hello, in follow-up to my bug/typo report, I discovered that .rpy are plain text files, which is great because it could very well be that some typos only exist in certain dialog trees that other playthroughs may not notice. I will attempt to compile an exhaustive list but before I did that, I had a couple general style questions (depending in if you are following Ferdafs design or substituting your own):

(Note: These are really minor nitpicky type questions, at the bottom I'll point out a couple of real typos so you don't think I'm wasting your time.)

1) What about using italicized text for either character thoughts or narration? Italics are the general literary convention for internal monologue. Parentheses seem more appropriate to the narration text, example (Later that night...) or (You give Morticia some privacy.) to distinguish "stage direction" from dialog. A very minor point, I know, but you added options to display whispers as smaller text or with markers so perhaps an options for Thoughts or Narration could be included as well.

2) The naming convention seems to be to use alternate colors for different same-name characters, like multiple Ricks. According to that convention, shouldn't the Rick in the intro scene of Day 1 have a different color name than the Rick that arrives in banishment from N-653M and remains the rest of the game? Again, yes, very minor point...I sometimes obsess on tiny details, lol

3) Should the Incest High Beth option simply disable the pet name and automatically substitute "son"? (that seems the most "incesty" form of address). I read in previous a comment you want to rework the pet name system (to avoid the capitalization issues where it's used at the start or end of dialog, perhaps) so maybe that can be an option.

4) On the topic of form of address, there's a lot of variation in dialog of "Bro" vs "bro" vs "little Bro" (same for Sis) and I can't remember any cases where "bro" or "sis" are being used as a name (e.g. "ask Bro to take us somewhere") so generally speaking, I think they should all be lower-case for consistency. I assume with Incest Low Summer it just uses character names throughout.

5) Canonically, the Smith residence is outside Seattle, Washington. Pretty close to Canada, yes, but it's more likely they will be saying "favorite" and "favors" and "license" instead of "favourite" and "favours" and "licence" right? I know, I know, nitpicky.

Some actual corrections:

1) *exchale* --> *exhale* (a couple occurances)
2) I was sick sir. --> I was sick, sir.
3) why can't I stop staring --> missing ?
4) Well done genius, --> Well done, genius,
5) Soldier Lad capitalization
6) Thank's, Summer. --> Thanks, Summer.
7) her friends deodorant! --> her friend's deodorant!
8) wonder who's deodorant --> wonder whose deodorant
9) friendstagram --> Friendstagram
10) Christian/Bible capitalization
11) yellow shirt boy --> yellow-shirt boy
12) Summer? Why's shy crying? --> Summer? Why's she crying?
13) fair-is-fair --> fair is fair
14) Th-thank you sir! --> Th-thank you, sir!
15) white, red blooded --> white, red-blooded
16) house of god --> house of God
17) Are you, or aren't you the Morty --> Are you, or aren't you, the Morty
18) Who's masturbation material? --> Whose maturbation material
19) alien pornhub website --> alien PornHub website
20) this naught pic of me --> this naughty pic of me
21) goes straight inside anus. --> goes straight inside your anus.
22) then I said, glip-glops...bro! --> then I said, "glip-glops...bro!"
23) than I thought -> missing . or !
24) heimlich --> Heimlich
25) Okay... you're turn --> Okay, your turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: prophetofconfusion

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I discovered that .rpy are plain text files
I deliberately left the script files as plain text (as opposed to packing them in an RPA (like the images) or only including the rpyc (complied files)) so that players can easily modify/use/do whatever they want with the script files. The only reason images are packed is because there are 18000 of them which is a hassle to deal with.

1) What about using italicized text for either character thoughts or narration? Italics are the general literary convention for internal monologue. Parentheses seem more appropriate to the narration text, example (Later that night...) or (You give Morticia some privacy.) to distinguish "stage direction" from dialog. A very minor point, I know, but you added options to display whispers as smaller text or with markers so perhaps an options for Thoughts or Narration could be included as well.
The reason I'm not using italics for thought is readability (I strongly dislike when games use italic text for internal thought). I personally find italicized text taxing to read (and there is a lot of internal thought in this game, so a lot of text). So this is a stylistic choice. Whisper icons instead of size was a request from players having trouble reading the small font.

I'll add an option to toggle on italic text for internal dialog onto the feature request list as well.

2) The naming convention seems to be to use alternate colors for different same-name characters, like multiple Ricks. According to that convention, shouldn't the Rick in the intro scene of Day 1 have a different color name than the Rick that arrives in banishment from N-653M and remains the rest of the game? Again, yes, very minor point...I sometimes obsess on tiny details, lol
Or maybe he is the same Rick?! DUN-DUN-DUN!... No, not really, but that's a good point, and an easy change. He doesn't get a special portrait or rename option in the next version though, since he is just in the intro. So, done!

3) Should the Incest High Beth option simply disable the pet name and automatically substitute "son"? (that seems the most "incesty" form of address). I read in previous comment you want to rework the pet name system (to avoid the capitalization issues where it's used at the start or end of dialog, perhaps) so maybe that can be an option.
In the next update (r3.6) there is a major overhaul of (well fucking most things) the name system. Two big changes are in progress right now. Frist is character rename, which will let you rename most major characters in the game. Second is the nickname/petname system which will mix up some of the names characters call each other. So, actually it's going the opposite direction, by letting more characters use a petname for Morty, and a nickname for them.

If you want to use "son" I'd say assign it as the petname Beth uses.

4) On the topic of form of address, there's a lot of variation in dialog of "Bro" vs "bro" vs "little Bro" (same for Sis) and I can't remember any cases where "bro" or "sis" are being used as a name (e.g. "ask Bro to take us somewhere") so generally speaking, I think they should all be lower-case for consistency. I assume with Incest Low Summer it just uses character names throughout.
I'll give it another going over and check all the capitalization is correct. Short version (deleted a wall of text) this was feature that got asked for to dial back the amount of "bro" and "sis" showing up in the game, and it's a big game so it didn't get as careful an eye as it most likely should have.

5) Canonically, the Smith residence is outside Seattle, Washington. Pretty close to Canada, yes, but it's more likely they will be saying "favorite" and "favors" and "license" instead of "favourite" and "favours" and "licence" right? I know, I know, nitpicky.
Didn't even notice. Fixed.

1) *exchale* --> *exhale* (a couple occurances)
2) I was sick sir. --> I was sick, sir.
3) why can't I stop staring --> missing ?
4) Well done genius, --> Well done, genius,
5) Soldier Lad capitalization
6) Thank's, Summer. --> Thanks, Summer.
7) her friends deodorant! --> her friend's deodorant!
8) wonder who's deodorant --> wonder whose deodorant
9) friendstagram --> Friendstagram
10) Christian/Bible capitalization
11) yellow shirt boy --> yellow-shirt boy
12) Summer? Why's shy crying? --> Summer? Why's she crying?
13) fair-is-fair --> fair is fair
14) Th-thank you sir! --> Th-thank you, sir!
15) white, red blooded --> white, red-blooded
16) house of god --> house of God
17) Are you, or aren't you the Morty --> Are you, or aren't you, the Morty
18) Who's masturbation material? --> Whose maturbation material
19) alien pornhub website --> alien PornHub website
20) this naught pic of me --> this naughty pic of me
21) goes straight inside anus. --> goes straight inside your anus.
22) then I said, glip-glops...bro! --> then I said, "glip-glops...bro!"
23) than I thought -> missing . or !
24) heimlich --> Heimlich
Corrected! Thanks for the fixes! If you have more feel free to keep'em comin.

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
I tried modifying \game\scripts\story\day_0000.rpy but when I ran New Game there were no changes. Does Renpy default to using only compiled versions if they exists? Can I delete day_0000.rpyc to force it to recompile, or is there some command line judo that you need to recompile from text source?

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I tried modifying \game\scripts\story\day_0000.rpy but when I ran New Game there were no changes. Does Renpy default to using only compiled versions if they exists? Can I delete day_0000.rpyc to force it to recompile, or is there some command line judo that you need to recompile from text source?
It should recompile when you launch (even if an rpyc file already exists, since it checks creation date to see if it is the latest version). Doesn't hurt to delete the rpyc files (although it will be slower to load, as it has to recompile them).

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes