kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Also, didn't know that priest and pastor were different (and I'm not sure Morty would know either), but corrected all the same to pastor, which is apparently the correct term in this case? Those are from the original game and just wasn't something I spent any time on
They are definitely different, and I think most people raised in the US are accustomed to associating priests with the Catholic church and pastors with Protestant churches. It's certainly possible Morty in this game could be at either kind since there's elements of both groups in the visuals. You're probably a more likely, though, to "switch" churches as a Prostestant, since many of those churches are autonomous and independent.

wibbled

Dec 11, 2020
They are definitely different, and I think most people raised in the US are accustomed to associating priests with the Catholic church and pastors with Protestant churches. It's certainly possible Morty in this game could be at either kind since there's elements of both groups in the visuals. You're probably a more likely, though, to "switch" churches as a Prostestant, since many of those churches are autonomous and independent.
2c312d8a-5589-4c25-b013-650dd8984744_text.gif

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Additional corrections, some are rather minor so correct as you see fit. (I was editting my previous list to add additional corrections but realized there was no easy way for you to keep track that way):

a cleaver, creative curse --> a clever, creative curse
I kinda get it now" --> [needs . or !]
Yes [morty_pet_name] --> Yes, [morty_pet_name]
massage the feet of[text_string], --> [comma here should be part of " my mom" variable]
something [morty_pet_name]? --> something, [morty_pet_name]?
I'll be right back" --> [needs .]
something is wrong" --> [needs .]
a vampire you doofus --> a vampire, you doofus
Then why the fuck are you two wasting my time for?! --> Then why the fuck are you two wasting my time?!
You go girl! --> You go, girl!
Love you too [morty_pet_name] --> Love you too, [morty_pet_name]
I'd like you to meet Edgard." --> [changes between Edgar vs Edgard, Edgard generally a last name, Edgar a first name]
to bindge some TV --> to binge some TV
No problem dear --> No problem, dear
[buggie vs buggy] --> [buggie is generally a baby stroller, buggy or dune buggy a desert vehicle]
aids --> AIDS

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Additional corrections, some are rather minor so correct as you see fit. (I was editting my previous list to add additional corrections but realized there was no easy way for you to keep track that way):
Yeah, while I do go back and read old posts, I'd more than likely never notice additional corrections on an old post. So, just keep doing new posts as you find them.

a cleaver, creative curse --> a clever, creative curse
I kinda get it now" --> [needs . or !]
Yes [morty_pet_name] --> Yes, [morty_pet_name]
massage the feet of[text_string], --> [comma here should be part of " my mom" variable]
something [morty_pet_name]? --> something, [morty_pet_name]?
I'll be right back" --> [needs .]
something is wrong" --> [needs .]
a vampire you doofus --> a vampire, you doofus
Then why the fuck are you two wasting my time for?! --> Then why the fuck are you two wasting my time?!
You go girl! --> You go, girl!
Love you too [morty_pet_name] --> Love you too, [morty_pet_name]
I'd like you to meet Edgard." --> [changes between Edgar vs Edgard, Edgard generally a last name, Edgar a first name]
to bindge some TV --> to binge some TV
No problem dear --> No problem, dear
[buggie vs buggy] --> [buggie is generally a baby stroller, buggy or dune buggy a desert vehicle]
aids --> AIDS
Fixed.

Edgard was more prevalent between the two spelling, so corrected them all to "Edgard". Either that or his name is actually "Edgar Edgard", which I wouldn't put it past him... But I'm pretty sure it was just typos clipping off the 'd' (its in the early days where I was re-typing a LOT of the text by hand, so a lot more mistakes got added in).

Thanks again for the corrections.

Reactions: prophetofconfusion

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
Question/suggestion pertaining to the upcoming naming system rework:

I noticed that you actually have variables to store alternate relationship terms. Example, beth_sub.mom = "Mom" and beth_sub.mom2 = "Mommy". Will you be able to keep multiple variations if you let players universally rename the characters? I think actually it should be expanded to offer four variables for each main character (Name, Nickname, Term of affection, Relationship).

The point is to distinguish between four different types of dialog:
1) formal/polite/public = use proper names
2) casual/relaxed diaog = term of familiarity, nickname
3) romatic/intimate dialog = term of affection, private/pet name
4) plot-driven dialog = actual relationship to MC is relevant

In this way, by default Beth might call Morty "son" (nickname) in casual dialog but switch to "sweetie" (term of affection) during intimate moments. Altering the Incest setting might reverse these variables, "sweetie" most of the time, switching to "son" during the action. The primary distinction between Name and the other variables is to allow for the use of "my" to be added without breaking the dialog. It might save you from having to code a bunch of if/thens to get the grammar right. If someone wanted to change relationships from sister to stepsister, or brother to buddy, or mother to landlady it should all fit perfectly in the dialog as long as they don't stupidly Name the character Landlady.

Some suggested defaults (Name, Nickname, Term of Affection, Relationship)

Beth, Mom, Mommy, mother
Morticia, Tish, lil' sis, twin sister
Summer, Sums, sis, big sister
Tricia, Trish, bitch, sex slave
Jessica, Jess, love, crush

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I noticed that you actually have variables to store alternate relationship terms. Example, beth_sub.mom = "Mom" and beth_sub.mom2 = "Mommy". Will you be able to keep multiple variations if you let players universally rename the characters? I think actually it should be expanded to offer four variables for each main character (Name, Nickname, Term of affection, Relationship).

The point is to distinguish between four different types of dialog:
1) formal/polite/public = use proper names
2) casual/relaxed diaog = term of familiarity, nickname
3) romatic/intimate dialog = term of affection, private/pet name
4) plot-driven dialog = actual relationship to MC is relevant

In this way, by default Beth might call Morty "son" (nickname) in casual dialog but switch to "sweetie" (term of affection) during intimate moments. Altering the Incest setting might reverse these variables, "sweetie" most of the time, switching to "son" during the action. The primary distinction between Name and the other variables is to allow for the use of "my" to be added without breaking the dialog. It might save you from having to code a bunch of if/thens to get the grammar right. If someone wanted to change relationships from sister to stepsister, or brother to buddy, or mother to landlady it should all fit perfectly in the dialog as long as they don't stupidly Name the character Landlady.

Some suggested defaults (Name, Nickname, Term of Affection, Relationship)

Beth, Mom, Mommy, mother
Morticia, Tish, lil' sis, twin sister
Summer, Sums, sis, big sister
Tricia, Trish, bitch, sex slave
Jessica, Jess, love, crush
While an interesting idea, the answer is unfortunately no. I'm already about 1/3rd of the way through the replacement process (which requires me to play through the whole game again evaluating each line of dialog and the text around it (which I've done dozens of times already)). I'm not starting over as I barely have the motivation to do it this time, let alone another.

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
While an interesting idea, the answer is unfortunately no. I'm already about 1/3rd of the way through the replacement process (which requires me to play through the whole game again evaluating each line of dialog and the text around it (which I've done dozens of times already)). I'm not starting over as I barely have the motivation to do it this time, let alone another.
If I had to guess, Ferdafs dialog started with everything as simple Proper Names ("Beth" "Summer" "Morticia") and as you've added player options then you've had to build more and more complexity by chaining multiple strings together instead of just combining them.

Consider this example from day_0003.rpy:

"After dinner you find [beth_sub.your][beth_sub.mom!l][beth_sub.beth] relaxing in the living room reading a book."

So we know the two possible dialog strings would be:

"After dinner you find Beth relaxing in the living room reading a book." (Incest Low)
"After dinner you find your mom relaxing in the living room reading a book." (Incest High)

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if you simply had one variable, [beth_sub.yourmom] which you could then define as either "your mom" or "Beth" at the start? The player would never need to define this variable, because you could take [beth_sub.mom] and concatenate "my", "your" etc to create the other variables.

A more complex example:

"[name_sub.your!cl][name_sub.twin][name_sub.sister][name_sub.morti] puts both her hands behind her and struggles a bit."

becomes

"[name_sub.yourtwinsis!cl] puts both her hands behind her and struggles a bit."

Then you define name_sub.yourtwinsis as:
1) "your twin sister" (Incest High, Twins On)
2) "your sister" (Incest High, Twins Off)
3) "your twin" (Incest Low, Twins On)
4) "Morticia" (Incest Low, Twins Off)

(The !cl would of properly capitalize whatever the choice was.)

Obviously I'm not trying to tell you how to do your (unpaid volunteer) job but I believe if you build your dialog around the most complex possible value (e.g. "my fourteen-year-old, teenaged, biological son Morty") then it would really help future-proof the dialog and avoid those $text_string if/then kludges.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
If I had to guess, Ferdafs dialog started with everything as simple Proper Names ("Beth" "Summer" "Morticia") and as you've added player options then you've had to build more and more complexity by chaining multiple strings together instead of just combining them.

Consider this example from day_0003.rpy:

"After dinner you find [beth_sub.your][beth_sub.mom!l][beth_sub.beth] relaxing in the living room reading a book."

So we know the two possible dialog strings would be:

"After dinner you find Beth relaxing in the living room reading a book." (Incest Low)
"After dinner you find your mom relaxing in the living room reading a book." (Incest High)

Wouldn't it be a lot easier if you simply had one variable, [beth_sub.yourmom] which you could then define as either "your mom" or "Beth" at the start? The player would never need to define this variable, because you could take [beth_sub.mom] and concatenate "my", "your" etc to create the other variables.

A more complex example:

"[name_sub.your!cl][name_sub.twin][name_sub.sister][name_sub.morti] puts both her hands behind her and struggles a bit."

becomes

"[name_sub.yourtwinsis!cl] puts both her hands behind her and struggles a bit."

Then you define name_sub.yourtwinsis as:
1) "your twin sister" (Incest High, Twins On)
2) "your sister" (Incest High, Twins Off)
3) "your twin" (Incest Low, Twins On)
4) "Morticia" (Incest Low, Twins Off)

(The !cl would of properly capitalize whatever the choice was.)

Obviously I'm not trying to tell you how to do your (unpaid volunteer) job but I believe if you build your dialog around the most complex possible value (e.g. "my fourteen-year-old, teenaged, biological son Morty") then it would really help future-proof the dialog and avoid those $text_string if/then kludges.
While things like "Mom" and "Sister" do pop up in the original, they are few and far between, so I've added most of them (Morticia is never your twin or sister in the original).

When I first started down the replacement road, it was one-to-one combining all the words together. However, lots of 1 off exceptions kept coming up, and in the end it simply made more sense to build out the parts and use them like words. From an implementation standpoint, my IDE does the autocomplete aspect, so a single string or several are the same effort for me.

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
my IDE does the autocomplete aspect, so a single string or several are the same effort for me.
Ah, I didn't get that, it sounded like you had to go through everything line by line because you wouldn't know how allowing people to rename characters might break the grammar. Although, it actually works within the canon to say things like "your Beth" because of the fact there's multiple dimensions, lol

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Ah, I didn't get that, it sounded like you had to go through everything line by line because you wouldn't know how allowing people to rename characters might break the grammar. Although, it actually works within the canon to say things like "your Beth" because of the fact there's multiple dimensions, lol
Most of the grammar issues have already been sorted when I put in the High/Low settings a while back. So it's more find the spots where the new nickname/pet name feel natural(ish), also, doublechecking the the slicing implementation.

kimlana

Mar 10, 2022
I noticed there are a handful of dialogs that use the {size} tag, for example day_0002.rpy

m "Great, I can't wait to spend more time with you... {size=18}Mom.{/size}"

I'm guessing the dialog here should be:

m "Great, I can't wait to spend more time with you..."
mw "Mom."

Should I report these as bugs? I assume that {size} tags are an artifact from before you created whisper styles ("mw" etc) to provide players an alternative to small fonts that might be harder to read.

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
I noticed there are a handful of dialogs that use the {size} tag, for example day_0002.rpy

m "Great, I can't wait to spend more time with you... {size=18}Mom.{/size}"

I'm guessing the dialog here should be:

m "Great, I can't wait to spend more time with you..."
mw "Mom."

Should I report these as bugs? I assume that {size} tags are an artifact from before you created whisper styles ("mw" etc) to provide players an alternative to small fonts that might be harder to read.
Nope, those are intentional (and mostly minor one offs that aren't plot centric) so I left them.

Apr 6, 2021
Ha, I'll be honest I didn't even notice/really consider it. It's tricky to remember all of what aspects have come from which version. So, I'm not sure if I added more of it, or if it's throughout the original. It wasn't something that either bothered me or grabbed my attention.

I did a quick search on all the lines where it occurs in the game (80 times fyi (81, if you include the one misspelling with a hyphen)), and most of the lines feel like Ferdafs dialog, so I think it originated mostly in the Unity version? I'm sure I slipped a few in too (that's what she said), as I'm trying to match/imitate some aspects of the dialog style.

Specifically a fetish for me? Not really.

That explains, LOL, thanks for clearing, kinda rare to see devs actually replying to our commentaries. Nice work on the game!

Reactions: Night Mirror
Jan 24, 2022
While I'm not ready to go down the voice path just yet (for many of the reasons listed above (also, holy crap, I still have so much work to finish up for r3.6, not even considering the actual content integration once the Unity version releases)). I may still give the audio queue thing a try. This would be a few choice words used to better represent a character while they speak (like Navi's "Hey, listen" (but hopefully way less annoying...)). This also has the benefit of requiring both, less time from voice actors, and not needing multiple callbacks for new updates.

If you are serious about perusing this, what character(s) do you think your voice could work for? While it doesn't need to be 100% on the mark (obviously), it would need to be close-ish. If you feel comfortable enough, you're welcome to send me a sample (either via PM, or in this thread, as an audio file of any type) of a character you think you fit well. Just choose a line or two of dialog for the character and give it a read as a sample, not to actually be used in the game yet.

Again, no pressure to actually do this. I would treat this the same was as other contributions players have submitted for the game. Which would mean I have final say over what does/doesn't get used in game.

And if you would prefer full control, moding is always an option (although, for the moment I'd say hold off on any mods until after r3.6 as it is a very major codebase change).
working on this right now ! ive been sick right now (not the best for voice acting lol) but ive been trying to nail the voices for an embarrassing amount of time, very excited to show u the end results ! (also of course i respect the final say thing !!)

Soup_Man

Oct 23, 2018
Hey, don't know if this would be a request or a bug (most likely a bug or missed detail.) But day 26, Friday during the sex scene with Beth while under the blanket when Jerry is in the room and the condom option is chosen, the condom isn't shown in the animation of the sex scene. See images for reference, although not really needed, still.
Love Soup, I emmit, I'm too lazy to read every time I play this game.
Edit; the condom does appear in the last images of the sex scene, so I guess its just missing the the animation.

Reactions: Night Mirror

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Hey, don't know if this would be a request or a bug (most likely a bug or missed detail.) But day 26, Friday during the sex scene with Beth while under the blanket when Jerry is in the room and the condom option is chosen, the condom isn't shown in the animation of the sex scene. See images for reference, although not really needed, still.
Love Soup, I emmit, I'm too lazy to read every time I play this game.
Edit; the condom does appear in the last images of the sex scene, so I guess its just missing the the animation.
Correct, it isn't in the original animation (I didn't edit it out, but I didn't put it back in either)

4.90 star(s) 99 Votes