Brigma

Jan 25, 2018
Windows has a 256 characters limit to the path of any file and the game's name is already quite long. :p
Guess that would explain it then. When I loaded my save from chapter 7, the backgrounds displayed properly but vanished when I got back to Catherine's house. Turns out the path for northnight is 256 characters and the path for Catherine's house is 261 characters :rolleyes:

The sub folders I created makes the path 47 characters longer than the path for my desktop. I suppose that's ~18% of the limit, but still... thats some character heavy game files.

Reactions: NecroBunnyStudios

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
It's not really the name of the game that is the problem. I used a compression and organization system that allows me full control over what gets loaded into memory, which is not something you have full control over with unity usually. But, that has had an unforeseen side effect, when the game is built, the files are turned into files with gigantic names that are not under my control, I did a lot of things to reduce the name size of those files, but there is only so far I can push it. It won't be a problem once the game is done and is distributed with an installer, but, for now, that continues to be a known problem.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
It's been a while since this came up, but...

Really? That's surprising to me. Just in case let me clear it up, it is not a middle-click but just rolling the mouse wheel.

Either way, you can use the History system with the keys "Z" to go back and "C" to go forward. Perhaps I should have put them in the keybindings as well. Felt a little redundant adding that to the keybindings as middle-mouse works so well and is already an industry standard, but I will add it for future updates!
Just wanted to mention that the keybinding description still only lists "Middle Mouse". Which is certainly fine for people who have a mouse with a center wheel. But some mice don't, and some people may be using a touchpad (some of which can duplicate the middle mouse click, but not all of them can).

Being able to use Z and C to go back and forward is super-helpful (and makes the middle mouse unnecessary if you don't have it), but there's nothing in-game right now that says those buttons work that way (only a post much earlier in this thread). And since most Ren'Py games use PgUp and PgDn instead, some people may be trying those and then getting frustrated when they don't work.

It would definitely be helpful to at least some players for an extra note to be added to the keybinding description that you can use Z and C to navigate through the backlog. And it seems like it should be an easy fix/addition to make.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Out of curiosity, and assuming it's not too much of a spoiler, does it matter which type of legion you choose to recruit? On a scale of "it's just a slight difference in flavor text" to "it can alter future scenes in minor ways" to "it will play a large role in what future scenes you can get", how much effect does the choice have?

I know Kerrek says the legion can change and adapt over time, but I figure it might still have a distinct effect on things if it's important. Just wondering how hard I should sweat over the choice. :p

I don't like how Amelie turns you down when you refuse to go through the whole orgy thing. That was unfairly harsh.
Well i think she did mentioned before she was not interested in feelings.
It does come across as slightly abrupt, though. And it does feel like there should maybe be middle ground between "I'm leaving you because you're clearly developing feelings", and "Maybe I kind of don't want to go to an orgy?"

A mostly-lesbian Catherine could want to avoid the orgy because she's not really interested in stranger dick, but still be willing to keep things casual with Amelie. But Amelie kind of turns it into an all-or-nothing sort of situation.

Panda1xix2

Jun 14, 2018
Is there going to be any further develop in the Jean path where you are unable to repay debts or is that just a short bad end?

Nightmare799

Nov 27, 2019
Uhh, I finished the finals and got like five or six cards choosing a path, what does that mean, does it mean choosing one path will lock me out of some scenes?

cheddy413

Jan 19, 2018
Game wont run at all. Tried moving it to desktop, and shortening folder name
1657422654386.png
^ that shows up for a split second, then disappears

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
ClockworkGnome
Thank you for the feedback, I'll add Z and C to the keybinding descriptions!

As for the legion options, we have a whole system we are working on for the legion. It will be integrated into the story but scenes are going to play differently depending on what the attributes of the legion are. But you don't need to stress too much over these initial options, making a legion that is good at everything is very difficult and these early options are mostly meant to determine what are going to be the attributes that are going to get a boost early on.

And as for Amelie, she is all about the dick though. She is not looking for romance, she just wants to have sex, now Catherine is more than free to join her in her sexual escapades, and maybe if Catherine goes along with it for long enough she can convince Amelie to give a relationship with her a chance. And I know she sounds harsh at times, but that is just how she is. She has her father's bluntness when it comes to romance.

Is there going to be any further develop in the Jean path where you are unable to repay debts or is that just a short bad end?
No, it was supposed to be just a bad end. I might extend it a little bit one day, but don't count on it.

Uhh, I finished the finals and got like five or six cards choosing a path, what does that mean, does it mean choosing one path will lock me out of some scenes?
No, that is just for flavor on future scenes.

Game wont run at all. Tried moving it to desktop, and shortening folder name
View attachment 1917094
^ that shows up for a split second, then disappears
That means that unity has crashed. I can't really say why that is, as the problem is likely on your computer. You can try running it as an administrator, maybe that will help. You can also check if other unity games are running on your computer, you might be missing a dll or a c++ redistributable.

Reactions: Nightmare799

arkhamtheknight

May 3, 2017
What's wrong with the Android version as it says in-game that there is issues or something?
I found an issue as when clicking new game, it just has a black screen with the UI on top.

winmace

Jun 7, 2022
I hope we get expansion on Catherine's hometown in the future, would be so cool for the Emperor to give her the lands she was born in; imagine the reaction from her family finding out.

Regardless I look forward to whatever you decide to do, the story has really gripped me; I picked this up on Thursday and couldn't put it down until I had gotten to the current chapter. Thanks for all your hard work!

• Red Heart
Reactions: NecroBunnyStudios

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
What's wrong with the Android version as it says in-game that there is issues or something?
I found an issue as when clicking new game, it just has a black screen with the UI on top.
Android made changes that make it harder for us to develop for android without going native. And mobile is not our focus, or my competence for that matter, so we won't be making another whole version of the game natively just so it can run on newer versions of android.

I hope we get expansion on Catherine's hometown in the future, would be so cool for the Emperor to give her the lands she was born in; imagine the reaction from her family finding out.

Regardless I look forward to whatever you decide to do, the story has really gripped me; I picked this up on Thursday and couldn't put it down until I had gotten to the current chapter. Thanks for all your hard work!
Glad to hear you enjoyed the game! And perhaps Catherine can spare the time to pay a visit to her hometown but...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ressxd

May 28, 2020
NecroBunnyStudios Barely played much of the game but I really like it already, good plot, great art. My question is, with everything thats available (files, that can be downloaded via the download links), is there a possibility one could make an android port that works with the never versions of android? I mainly play games on Android and I'd love to try to make an android version if its possible

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
NecroBunnyStudios Barely played much of the game but I really like it already, good plot, great art. My question is, with everything thats available (files, that can be downloaded via the download links), is there a possibility one could make an android port that works with the never versions of android? I mainly play games on Android and I'd love to try to make an android version if its possible
I'm an idiot so take this with a grain of salt, but hypothetically android .apks set to target android 10 (api level 29 I think, set using the "targetSdkVersion" in the .xml file inside the apk archive.) or lower can use the requestlegacyexternalstorage flag, which should allow it to operate like normal before the storage changes even on android 11+. This cannot be done with any app that you want to put on Google Play as Google requires applications to target api 30, but since this game is hosted externally and sideloaded onto devices, it should work fine and Google has no limitations on sideloaded apps.

Last edited:

NecroBunnyStudios

Game Developer
Jan 23, 2020
I'm an idiot so take this with a grain of salt, but hypothetically android .apks set to target android 10 (api level 29 I think, set using the "targetSdkVersion" in the .xml file inside the apk archive.) or lower can use the requestlegacyexternalstorage flag, which should allow it to operate like normal before the storage changes even on android 11+. This cannot be done with any app that you want to put on Google Play as Google requires applications to target api 30, but since this game is hosted externally and sideloaded onto devices, it should work fine and Google has no limitations on sideloaded apps.
I'm doing all of that. Honestly, I spent way too much time trying all the solutions I could find on the internet and then some and nothing worked. That said, I'll look into the issue once more. It's been a while since I last tried to fix it, maybe someone found a solution to the problem.

No dedicated Kyo ending?
No plans for it at the moment.

Reactions: Bowlzer

Hargan2

Nov 27, 2017
I'm doing all of that. Honestly, I spent way too much time trying all the solutions I could find on the internet and then some and nothing worked. That said, I'll look into the issue once more. It's been a while since I last tried to fix it, maybe someone found a solution to the problem.
Fair enough. Like I said, I'm an idiot so I highly doubt there's anything I could suggest that you haven't tried already.

4.60 star(s) 64 Votes