slowpersun

May 30, 2017
This excuse worked back when this game started.
This is a project that gets more funding than most commercial games. He makes over 60k a year from this and has no expenses other than his personal ones.

He could easily afford to hire someone professional to go over simple renpy code at least once every iteration. Rogue-like is not a complex game. It doesn't need someone working full time.

Personally, I bought the excuse of "pride" that he gave years ago and how he wants the game to be "his project". But now we are over 6 years down the line and I just think it is greed at this point.
Is that 60K/year before or after Patreon takes its cut? Not that it matters, depending on the exchange rate where Oni lives, might be enough for a reasonable living. But why hire a professional coder? They're not as cheap as you think, nor is the contract prolly likely to be that ironclad. So what's to stop the coder from just stealing all the assets? Not like this game is exactly copyrighted. Akabur loves to bitch about people stealing his games, but yet he still dropping stuff. Half the reason the mods for this game keep falling by the wayside is that Oni changes a bunch of code while also adding new characters/graphics. Modders might as well wait until the 1.0 release... Oh wait, nevermind.

But greed? Laziness? Maybe. Maybe not. Only way to know is for all (or at least most) Patreon donations to cease, only then can we know for sure. Everything up until that point is hypothetical. Not that I ever expect this to occur, but speculation is pointless. If Oni hasn't figured out how to code adequately by now, he ain't ever gonna. So why also waste money on a "professional?"

Reactions: Helivesoncemore

DougsLeftNut

Nov 13, 2017
Man, I miss Mac's art. T-Catt and Oni were the crowdpleasers, but Mac and Miravi were the ones that kept me returning.
I went back to when Miravi called himself Riv and I absolutely loved his DC Animated Art at the time. Granted, I haven't seen it in 20 years. Also haven't thought of Catthouse for 20 years.

Buttholder

Feb 25, 2022
I went back to when Miravi called himself Riv and I absolutely loved his DC Animated Art at the time. Granted, I haven't seen it in 20 years. Also haven't thought of Catthouse for 20 years.
Most, if not all of it was up on Paheal, last I checked, all his Star Wars stuff, his DCAU stuff, you name it. Also Sadpanda.

Reactions: DougsLeftNut
4.40 star(s) 149 Votes