sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
To give everyone a break from the arguing and complaining; does anyone know how to set the amount of orgasms/actions performed? like a virgin string of commands
I think it's literally <charactername>.Sex and <charactername>.Action.
Just keep in mind that .Sex goes up and .Action is how many actions left.

Darune

Jun 5, 2018
*psst* Renpy doesn't have a switch statement. And . If you want to make a list of conditionals in renpy and not write a bunch of python code, you HAVE to use a bunch of if-else's.
*psst* if you think going
if Girl is RogueX:
$ Girl.FaceChange("bemused")
ch_r "Oh, hey there [Girl.Petname]. You seem to be fitting in well. . ."
if not Girl.Kissed:
ch_r "Look, since the other day when I first. . . touched you,"
else:
ch_r "Look, since the other day when I first. . . kissed you,"
ch_r "I've had this kind of. . . buzz. At first I thought it was just from finally being able to touch someone,"
$ Girl.Eyes = "sexy"
ch_r "But I think maybe. . . could I touch you again?"
elif Girl is KittyX:
$ Girl.FaceChange("bemused",2)
ch_k "Oh. . . hey, [Girl.Petname]. I've been thinking. . ."
if not Girl.Kissed:
ch_k "Look, since a while back when I first. . . touched you,"
else:
ch_k "Look, since a while back when I first. . . kissed you,"
ch_k "I've kinda been thinking. . . feeling a little odd. . ."
$ Girl.Eyes = "side"
ch_k "Would you mind if I touched you again real quick?"
elif Girl is EmmaX:
ch_e "Oh, hello [Girl.Petname]. . ."
ch_e "You've been doing well in your studies, it seems. . ."
ch_e "Look, since the other day when we first. . . came into contact. . ."
$ Girl.FaceChange("sadside",1,Brows="angry")
ch_e "I've been. . . struggling with something."
ch_e "A feeling. . ."
$ Girl.Eyes = "sexy"
ch_e "I was thinking perhaps that. . . touching you again might help?"
Is the way to handle this type of thing, never attempt to make a renpy game, stick to printing out hello world.

Also,
>make game
>dont want to write a bunch of code
lmao.

Last edited:

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
*psst* if you think going
Is the ONLY way to handle this type of thing, never attempt to make a renpy game, stick to printing out hello world.
Uhh... you literally just broke the code. I can't even read what that's doing because you broke it by posting it. Congrats.

Darune

Jun 5, 2018
What do you think game engines are for? Like, I'm with you. If I'm making a game, I'm coding that sucker almost from scratch. But literally, most games these days are made from game engines reduces code writing. Unity, let alone renpy, does this.
This is one impressively braindead take.

Toybirdy

Oct 11, 2017
While I won't say anything about personal preferences in regards to the appearances or aesthetics of any characters (appreciative or disdainful), I do feel like it bears mention that your comment here is objectively incorrect. For the five characters listed, only Kitty and Rogue resemble their canon counterparts from the cartoon.
The other's resembles comic book version and other cartoon version I am 100% sure the storm and the jubilee resembles the 90's cartoons version and they actually look like the characters that they supposed to be.
here is a picture of teh emma frost he did. I am pretty sure i could find the other character's decigns he used for x-23 and storm if i took some time to look. well for Jean and psylocke i doubt i will find anything that look like those designs. plus those designs dont go well with the other character design at all. Just tryign to get the point across that Jean and his opsylocke designs look nothing like their character's from any source material. eventheir's costumes dont resembles their costumes in any cartoon or comic book counterpart.

imzahai

Apr 19, 2019
Hmmm... That would be an interesting question no less. I'd say maybe? Naturally I'd say no, given I think it would be awesome if she were to be a mom, as it would bring so much joy and a sense of 'normalcy' for her. Maybe with regular contact with Zero it could happen.

Otherwise, unsure.
in the game you can give her the ability to touch others after a few levels.

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
Is the way to handle this type of thing, never attempt to make a renpy game, stick to printing out hello world.
So, I found the segment, and yes, this is valid and correct. There's nothing wrong with this code. Is this the only way? Of course not. But that's not what I said. But according to programming 101, this is valid.
Code:
        if Girl.Event[1] == 1:
                #first time through. . .
                if Girl is RogueX:
                        ch_r "Oh, hey there [Girl.Petname]. You seem to be fitting in well. . ."
                        if not Girl.Kissed:
                            ch_r "Look, since the other day when I first. . . touched you,"
                        else:
                            ch_r "Look, since the other day when I first. . . kissed you,"
                        ch_r "I've had this kind of. . . buzz. At first I thought it was just from finally being able to touch someone,"
                        $ Girl.Eyes = "sexy"
                        ch_r "But I think maybe. . . could I touch you again?"
                elif Girl is KittyX:
                        $ Girl.FaceChange("bemused",2)
                        ch_k "Oh. . . hey, [Girl.Petname]. I've been thinking. . ."
                        if not Girl.Kissed:
                            ch_k "Look, since a while back when I first. . . touched you,"
                        else:
                            ch_k "Look, since a while back when I first. . . kissed you,"
                        ch_k "I've kinda been thinking. . . feeling a little odd. . ."
                        $ Girl.Eyes = "side"
                        ch_k "Would you mind if I touched you again real quick?"
                elif Girl is EmmaX:
                        ch_e "Oh, hello [Girl.Petname]. . ."
                        ch_e "You've been doing well in your studies, it seems. . ."
                        ch_e "Look, since the other day when we first. . . came into contact. . ."
                        $ Girl.FaceChange("sadside",1,Brows="angry")
                        ch_e "I've been. . . struggling with something."
                        ch_e "A feeling. . ."
                        $ Girl.Eyes = "sexy"
                        ch_e "I was thinking perhaps that. . . touching you again might help?"
I'll explain why:

First, this is a one off event. You'll never run into this dialogue again for a girl. This means that if you're making a function to handle this section, you're actually adding more computational work. Every function is a jump in ASM code. Every function has overhead. It's a very small one, but it still exists. Which means for one off statements, it's actually computationally faster to just stick a if-else and done with it since if-elses don't push things to the stack. This is the same reason why people will define certain functions as macros in C++. Because at compile time, instead of introducing jumps and having to context load/shift, the compiler will just copy and paste that block of code into the ASM.

Second, as I mentioned, something like this can be done via a switch, but a switch doesn't exist.

Third, each dialogue is unique. No repetition. Meaning calling the same function to then find the girl, then find the varying dialogue and reactions means you'd have to write the same block for each girl anyways due to the fact something like this and renpy's format. Renpy isn't like Unity or other game engines where you can just pipe a block of text from a dialogue tree into a dialogue box and expect auto formatting or parsing.

Are there better ways to do this? Maybe. It's arguable. One can define these into a separate file and jump to it then jump back. But, as I've mentioned with functions, there's a computational cost. There's also the human readability aspect to it too. Like, it's technically faster for the computer to run spaghetti code because there's less characters for the language parser to read through. But it's hell for the programmer to follow and maintain later on. Which is why programmers don't do spaghetti code. In a scripting/interpreted language like Python, this is even more prevalent as the script is the code. Readability is one of the main selling points. Separating every dialogue into it's own file can be more organized file-wise, but it can be argued that it'll be harder for a human to follow and maintain because you'll have to open 3~4 files just to follow one path of dialogue. Any advantage of file organization and neat looking code is directly in contrast to speed in developement because it's easy to go "Everyone's intro dialogue is in this 1 file and 1 block. I can compare and contrast or just add a new block." So, instead of spending a minute or two to find every block or run a:
find ./game -iname "*_dialogue.rpy" -exec filelist+=" "{} \; diff $filelist

you can just do:
vim ./game/script\ Addiction.rpy

Now, is this the perfect way to do this? No. Can it be optimized? Maybe. But there's also the school of thought for running optimization for a code that whose big O is only a constant (As in, not even n. Just a constant like 6.). The benefit vs. time taken to optimize is very small. A literal drop in the bucket compared to all the stuff.

The simplest way to do optimize this code and maintain both readability and speed (i.e. no logical jumps) would have been a switch statement. But, again, they don't exist in renpy.

So, yes, this is valid. There's nothing inherently wrong with this code. There are other code in this game (and many other renpy games) that are WAAAY worse. But the foundation of coding is the if-else statement. To say a literal use of them is a bad thing is to deny that, in ASM, there are no object inheritence. There are no class interfaces. The most basic logic gate after the NOT gate is probably the XOR gate. And if-else is the C++ and higher level analog of that.

Last edited:

Semondemon

Engaged Member
Mar 9, 2018
Honestly this last couple of days has been hilarious. Even if I'm not on topic people whining is hilarious; I'm so indifferent to Oni now (I get the game for free still for some reason).
This update sucks same as the last one 'cos cannot fug de sea-lock; Cannot fug da crazy cat lady :( I get two fer one & I don't complaining tho.

Exocrine

May 12, 2023
but i thought oni wouldn't change for anyone? aren't you wasting your time asking him to do anything, by your own words?
Encouraging someone to do the same thing that they're going to do is a far better idea than calling him a fuckup

• Haha
Reactions: SerHawkes

SpikyHair

Nov 13, 2019
So, I found the segment, and yes, this is valid and correct. There's nothing wrong with this code.
I'm also extremely curious why they think that if-else approach is somehow bad.

Usually when such objections are raised you end up looking at an "alternative" that's a clusterchuckle of self-references and recursions, because competent procedural programming is so last century /s

Mar 14, 2018
Honestly this last couple of days has been hilarious. Even if I'm not on topic people whining is hilarious; I'm so indifferent to Oni now (I get the game for free still for some reason).
This update sucks same as the last one 'cos cannot fug de sea-lock; Cannot fug da crazy cat lady :( I get two fer one & I don't complaining tho.
sea-lock and crazy cat lady? Now you're just testing my limits :ROFLMAO:
I fucking love this thread
Battling coders, people cursing each other, some shaming and some defending their kinks, lots of whiny brats.
It's like being back to simpler times when birdie and fuckface were no-man's-land.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 148 Votes