sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
I'm also extremely curious why they think that if-else approach is somehow bad.

Usually when such objections are raised you end up looking at an "alternative" that's a clusterchuckle of self-references and recursions, because procedural programming is so last century /s
There are some valid reasons/criticism. Like daisy-chaining them to the point where the code is hard to follow (though, sometimes that is unavoidable). Or writing if conditions within if conditions where the 2 conditions don't need to be separated. Or when a bunch of the conditions end in the same result.

But a lot of the knee-jerk responses to if-else statements being "overly used", in my experience, is just as you said. Like, we like to think (and I certainly did) that programming is a field base off of logic and reasoning. But there's A LOT of politics to be found in it. People insisting their new way of doing things is the better way because reasons or they want clout or they want to sell you something. Like, this is why they tried to embed blockchain and crypto into "web 3.0". (which, again, is a marketing term. There's no technology that enhances/changes the fundamental way we're view HTML and run HTTP defined "web 3.0") This is why I picked up on that post so quickly. A lot of people like to pretend they know coding on the internet for some reason but don't (Like, look at Elon Musk). And they tend to make statements like that that makes them stick out like a sour thumb.

My last point/tangent so I don't keep going off topic. I once watched a video on someone trying to push that object oriented programming is bad and how we should all stick to naming/bundling all functions like:
class1_run();
class2_run();
And so many comments were like, "This is GENIUS!" And I had to go like, "Uhhh, no. We've tried this. People use to do this prior to OOP. It was bad. It was really bad. This is why we invented OOP."

Exocrine

May 12, 2023
"Of course, Steve. You really should smoke all that meth and go rob a bank. What could go wrong? You're not a fuckup in any way, shape or form"
He's still making a lot of money. He's not doing it by robbing a bank. And as far as I know, he's not on meth. I'm going to keep encouraging him.

Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
Honestly this last couple of days has been hilarious. Even if I'm not on topic people whining is hilarious; I'm so indifferent to Oni now (I get the game for free still for some reason).
This update sucks same as the last one 'cos cannot fug de sea-lock; Cannot fug da crazy cat lady :( I get two fer one & I don't complaining tho.
Games been in development for like nine years...I'm too old to give a shit anymore

Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
And so many comments were like, "This is GENIUS!" And I had to go like, "Uhhh, no. We've tried this. People use to do this prior to OOP. It was bad. It was really bad. This is why we invented OOP."
I'm not trying to disqualify anything you said or join in on this argument. OOP was popularized by c++ which lead to Java, probably the most used language out there. So we did not invent OOP because what came before was bad; it happend because Bjarne liked OOP.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Exocrine

sleepingkirby

Aug 8, 2017
I'm not trying to disqualify anything you said or join in on this argument. OOP was popularized by c++ which lead to Java, probably the most used language out there. So we did not invent OOP because what came before was bad; it happend because Bjarne liked OOP.
I'm not saying what came before it was bad. I'm saying that people use to name functions like class1_obj() class2_obj() and that's bad. Here's the line I was taught in college. (Paraphrasing because it's been 20+ years), "Giving every function its own name was okay at the start. But as programs got larger and got more complex, people started running into issues like name collision or scope issues. This is solved by namespaces and OOP."

But to your point... I was told/taught that the need for greater organization was what gave birth to OOP but, since you mentioned it, I don't know if I've ever looked that up for myself... *looks it up*

Here we go ( ):
Terminology invoking "objects" in the modern sense of object-oriented programming made its first appearance at the group at in the late 1950s and early 1960s. "Object" referred to atoms with identified properties (attributes).
Influenced by the work at MIT and the Simula language, in November 1966 began working on ideas that would eventually be incorporated into the programming language. Kay used the term "object-oriented programming" in conversation as early as 1967.
Yeah... I remember my mentor telling me about smalltalk...

In the mid-1980s was developed by , who had used Smalltalk at . , who had used Simula for his PhD thesis, created the object-oriented . In 1985, also produced the first design of the . Focused on software quality,
support provides the ability to group procedures into files and modules for organizational purposes. Modules are so identifiers in one module will not conflict with a procedure or variable sharing the same name in another file or module.
Okay, this is what I was referring to:
Data is a design pattern in which data are visible only to semantically related functions, to prevent misuse. The success of data abstraction leads to frequent incorporation of as a design principle in object-oriented and pure functional programming. Similarly, prevents external code from being concerned with the internal workings of an object...It also encourages programmers to put all the code that is concerned with a certain set of data in the same class, which organizes it for easy comprehension by other programmers. Encapsulation is a technique that encourages .

By the way, the most used programming language now isn't Java. Might have been true in the late 90's~early 2000's. But these days, it's javascript.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exocrine

Lol00000

Jun 19, 2018
Of course it's possible without mods.
How long did you play it?
In around half an hour you should be able to have Rogue, Kitty, Emma and Laura all sucking and fucking you on demand.
One hour and half, made progress with Jean and Storm, but Kitty and Laura were a pain in the ass so installed the cheat and finished with this grind.

Dittymyman

Feb 23, 2019
By the way, the most used programming language now isn't Java. Might have been true in the late 90's~early 2000's. But these days, it's javascript.
Yeah... I like to live in a bubble where I pretend web devs don't exist (please don't @ me web devs it was a tasteless joke...because every web dev I have come in contact with was a prick, not that you are strawman I created; you are cool). Not that you can't use javascript for other things. At the end of the day I say use the language that does the job at hand the best and use whatever programming philosophy you enjoy.

4.40 star(s) 148 Votes