kDarcsen

Nov 10, 2017
All Mac links show corrupted when I try to unzip them, can someone reupload?
I'd suggest, and this goes for all renpy games, and will save you headaches in the long run, that you download the renpy SDK. Once you do, you can put the game folders from WIN versions into the SDK folder, and it will run the games for you, even if you are playing on OSX. The renpy SDK comes with a .app renpy launcher, from which you can select a game folder for the SDK to run.
It probably sounds like a pain in the ass the way I described it, but it's just two steps. Place the folder (WIN/MAC/LINUX, doesn't matter, just as long as it's python, which all renpy games are) in the renpy SDK folder, then open up the renpy launcher. That's it. It opens up a handy dandy list of your games and you just select and launch the folder.

raghavgarg28

Jun 20, 2018
I'd suggest, and this goes for all renpy games, and will save you headaches in the long run, that you download the renpy SDK. Once you do, you can put the game folders from WIN versions into the SDK folder, and it will run the games for you, even if you are playing on OSX. The renpy SDK comes with a .app renpy launcher, from which you can select a game folder for the SDK to run.
It probably sounds like a pain in the ass the way I described it, but it's just two steps. Place the folder (WIN/MAC/LINUX, doesn't matter, just as long as it's python, which all renpy games are) in the renpy SDK folder, then open up the renpy launcher. That's it. It opens up a handy dandy list of your games and you just select and launch the folder.
How do i access the console?
I edited the 00console file and changed the thing from false to true, but it doesn’t open the console even after that

Blehtastic

Jun 21, 2018
the problem isn't the game files, it's the zip files. they won't open.

Reactions: GeorgeMarty

kDarcsen

Nov 10, 2017
And the solution I presented was to just download the WIN or LINUX zip files, and run the game through the SDK. It's also useful for all the games that don't release on MAC right away, or the MAC version is a buggy mess, both of which occur.

Reactions: DannyhelMont

kDarcsen

Nov 10, 2017
I tried that, but
1. the game isn’t opening on mac so i used the method suggested by kDarcsen
2. the game then opened by the said method
3. I edited the 00console file
4. The console isn’t opening even after editing the console file and me pressing shift+O
You're going to need to create a partition on your Mac to run Windows or Linux to use unren iirc. I've never done it. The only other option is if someone edits the game to enable console and uploads that version for us OSX users. I tried to find a work around once, but wasn't able to make it work.

I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe you could open up the files with one of the functions in the SDK, and that might do it, but I've never tried. I've only ever used the SDK to run games.

On a somewhat related note, if you are having trouble with Unity games, you can run those on OSX using Wine, if the OSX version isn't up to snuff. YMMV though. Sorry I don't have a good answer for using the console beyond bootcamp.

EDIT: If anyone has a better solution I would love to know, that way I can give people having this problem on OSX some decent advice. All I can really do to solve problems is suggest the SDK and have someone run the game through the console if the permissions weren't set up correctly.

Last edited:

raghavgarg28

Jun 20, 2018
You're going to need to create a partition on your Mac to run Windows or Linux to use unren iirc. I've never done it. The only other option is if someone edits the game to enable console and uploads that version for us OSX users. I tried to find a work around once, but wasn't able to make it work.

I'm not sure if it would work, but maybe you could open up the files with one of the functions in the SDK, and that might do it, but I've never tried. I've only ever used the SDK to run games.

On a somewhat related note, if you are having trouble with Unity games, you can run those on OSX using Wine, if the OSX version isn't up to snuff. YMMV though. Sorry I don't have a good answer for using the console beyond bootcamp.

EDIT: If anyone has a better solution I would love to know, that way I can give people having this problem on OSX some decent advice. All I can really do to solve problems is suggest the SDK and have someone run the game through the console if the permissions weren't set up correctly.
This bootcamp thing is too much work for a small game, i would prefer waiting for a good zipped file instead of creating a partition.
Thank you though

ysmf

Aug 6, 2017
man and here i thought i was having issues with my mac, error 1 message everytime using the standard unzip tool lol. unzipping via terminal works but upon launching a renpy traceback error comes out

last_king

Mar 18, 2020
man and here i thought i was having issues with my mac, error 1 message everytime using the standard unzip tool lol. unzipping via terminal works but upon launching a renpy traceback error comes out
I tried unzipping through terminal and it didnt work, what was the command you used?

ysmf

Aug 6, 2017
And the solution I presented was to just download the WIN or LINUX zip files, and run the game through the SDK. It's also useful for all the games that don't release on MAC right away, or the MAC version is a buggy mess, both of which occur.
i tried this and it works but somehow there's no background, it's just plain black. any idea how to fix that? :unsure:

kDarcsen

Nov 10, 2017
i tried this and it works but somehow there's no background, it's just plain black. any idea how to fix that? :unsure:
It's a very buggy game. You will see various bugs version to version. I believe the black screen will go away once the tutorial is over and you try moving to a different location. For instance, the last version I played the animations wouldn't work most of the time, but in the current version the animations work a bit more consistently, but a lot of animations or stills are now choppy or broken. The game is just a buggy mess, but that's par for the course.

4.40 star(s) 148 Votes