Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
PS. Got a question, why in some movies ship(s) mentioned as "she"? It`s a navy tradition or what. It must be "it", not "she". Just curios.
Its not in movies, its been a tradition as old as sailing. Sailors have always been superstitious and when they refer to a ship as she, its a referring to the ship as a mother or goddess, hopefully guiding the crew home after a long journey.

wowdudes

Sep 19, 2021
PS. Got a question, why in some movies ship(s) mentioned as "she"? It`s a navy tradition or what. It must be "it", not "she". Just curios.
"It is generally accepted that ships are referred to as ‘she’ or ‘her’ due to language evolution from the Latin word for ship ‘Navis’ being feminine. Another reason for the use of female pronouns is that ships are usually named after women and are often dedicated to goddesses who provide a protective role for the ship. "

This also stems from most ship owners historically being male and the ship being something of a wife figure. Maried to the sea or boat. Figureheads on the prows of ships were often depictions of such female namesakes, denoting the name of the ship for a largely illiterate maritime population. Like ships countries also are frequently refereed to as female and this as well as with boats may be due to a desire to protect and cherish females more than men historically especially in the context of nationalism and patriotism.

Anecdotally sometimes they will say because they are difficult to work with and require a lot of maintenance.

“A ship is called a she because there is always a great deal of bustle around her; there is usually a gang of men about; she has a waist and stays; it takes a lot of paint to keep her good-looking; it is not the initial expense that breaks you, it is the upkeep; she can be all decked out; it takes an experienced man to handle her correctly; and without a man at the helm, she is absolutely uncontrollable. She shows her topsides, hiders her bottom and, when coming into port, always heads for the buoys.”

Bosss

May 1, 2017
I'm telling you, I wouldn't be surprised if he releases it on the 14th with a new dating mechanic. A part of that sentence is true, can you guess which half?
Ha-ha... good one. Sadly but nope. It`s Oni we talk about > it`s not gonna work)

Lulu66638

Jul 5, 2017
Many others answered before I do, but I'll add it's an English language convention and although it originated from Latin, others languages descended from it doesn't share it: I know French and Spanish and for both, "bateau" (fr) and "barco" (sp) are masculine nouns and they use both masculine and feminine to name them.

salscou

Apr 14, 2020
Many others answered before I do, but I'll add it's an English language convention and although it originated from Latin, others languages descended from it doesn't share it: I know French and Spanish and for both, "bateau" (fr) and "barco" (sp) are masculine nouns and they use both masculine and feminine to name them.
Spanish also uses nave (femenine), barco is just the catchall term for any boat, be it a canoe or a carrier.
Now I get it... the new update is taking so long because Oni is redrawing every girl as boats! :WeSmart:
Rogue's to be Captain or I'm out.
Woah man, a X-men + kancolle collab?
Fuck yeah, my money on kitty being a submarine.

Semondemon

Engaged Member
Mar 9, 2018
No they're not boats, they're sailing on boats.. gone on vacation, to find lost mutie-lantis where the girls hope to find riches beyond their wildest dreams.. or just the player character awaiting them in the depths to do things most foul...

Reactions: Testerguy19

DBongus

Jun 13, 2017
He's definitely shooting for a Valentines day release. I'd have rather he just said so in the first place instead of stringing it along.
Surely he'll have Jean's second pose by then?
Who am I kidding, he'll overpromise and under deliver like he usually does

4.40 star(s) 149 Votes