2.50 star(s) 94 Votes

Fatneck

Aug 19, 2020
Yes, exactly. It's not a virtual novel, it's a point-and-click. P&Cs by their very nature have a lot of mini-games and clicking. If that's not your thing, fine, but hating on it for playing it despite the clear tagging on the game (that warns of what kind of gameplay there will be) is silly.
I actually do think it is a virtual novel. if you forget doing anything it is game over and you can start anew. No different outcones. just a lineaar story. Actually i even believe a good story. Still i stopped playing for now because restarting als gives the need of doing those so called minigames, wich i ythink do not qualify as games. Sorting post for instance is more like an obstacle. And if someone qualfies this as minigame, welll i cannot enjoy them. They ruin the joy of a good story for me. Still it is the Dev's choice what he will do. It is not up to me or anyone else then the developer himself. No hate just an opinion. I mean i adde playablility the moment he gave us the choice to start every chapter seperatly. But still i do like the game. I do not like it's playability. And i am waiting until it is finished completly. I have the inability of not beeing able to play this one in development. (If there is a warning, it was not there from the beginning, still most of us are playing without contributing. So what do we actually have to complain?)

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I actually do think it is a virtual novel. if you forget doing anything it is game over and you can start anew. No different outcones. just a lineaar story.
I suppose it depends on what you define as a virtual novel. Per F95's definitions, though, this doesn't qualify. Having both sandbox and point-and-click eliminates the VN label for the game. Personally, I would argue that if you're correct this realistically is a kinetic novel and not a visual one. Since the "choices" that are wrong always give you a single outcome, there really aren't choices.

Visual novels have branching, whether consequences or whole story path changes. This does not have that. You either get it right or it's game over. A kinetic novel has only one path; instead of the player choosing their own outcome, there's a predetermined outcome that will always be reached, no matter what. That outcome is fixed: it always includes the same LIs in the end, the same end of the plot, the same everything. That said, technically there are other outcomes — they just all end in a "you suck, sorry bud".

Reactions: Fatneck

Fatneck

Aug 19, 2020
I suppose it depends on what you define as a virtual novel. Per F95's definitions, though, this doesn't qualify. Having both sandbox and point-and-click eliminates the VN label for the game. Personally, I would argue that if you're correct this realistically is a kinetic novel and not a visual one. Since the "choices" that are wrong always give you a single outcome, there really aren't choices.

Visual novels have branching, whether consequences or whole story path changes. This does not have that. You either get it right or it's game over. A kinetic novel has only one path; instead of the player choosing their own outcome, there's a predetermined outcome that will always be reached, no matter what. That outcome is fixed: it always includes the same LIs in the end, the same end of the plot, the same everything. That said, technically there are other outcomes — they just all end in a "you suck, sorry bud".
Yes you are pretty much right. The point and click is not exploring, just click to proceed. And there is only one path every other choice is a Game over or go to tsart do not collect any money and do other then before. Yh pretty mu a Kinetic Novel then. I dis not experience any sanbox either. Maybe that is my opinion. I have to admit i did not read the definitions of what is what on F05. But i am pretty sure sandbox is exploring everything on your own and not on dictated linear way.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I dis not experience any sanbox either. Maybe that is my opinion. I have to admit i did not read the definitions of what is what on F05. But i am pretty sure sandbox is exploring everything on your own and not on dictated linear way.
Well, according to F95's official definitions for tags, a sandbox is "free-roam types of games". IDK that I personally would call it a sandbox myself, either, but the game is tagged (perhaps incorrectly) as such. Sandbox is supposed to be what you've described. But I generally try (and fail sometimes) to avoid quibbling about tag applicability, especially because it's often a matter of semantics.

Some people take the nature of sandbox to the extreme, for instance. They'll claim it's sandbox if you ever, even once, have to click room navigation to view an event or anything. That's not really the spirit of sandbox, which is more about visiting locations individually to find something to do. In games similar to VNs /KNs in style, that generally equates to having an event with someone to either advance the plot or increase stats with a LI. In more grindy games, that will also include things to improve the MC's stats (strength, charm, etc.) or to do a search for some item or a clue.

Reactions: Fatneck

Fatneck

Aug 19, 2020
Well, according to F95's official definitions for tags, a sandbox is "free-roam types of games". IDK that I personally would call it a sandbox myself, either, but the game is tagged (perhaps incorrectly) as such. Sandbox is supposed to be what you've described. But I generally try (and fail sometimes) to avoid quibbling about tag applicability, especially because it's often a matter of semantics.

Some people take the nature of sandbox to the extreme, for instance. They'll claim it's sandbox if you ever, even once, have to click room navigation to view an event or anything. That's not really the spirit of sandbox, which is more about visiting locations individually to find something to do. In games similar to VNs /KNs in style, that generally equates to having an event with someone to either advance the plot or increase stats with a LI. In more grindy games, that will also include things to improve the MC's stats (strength, charm, etc.) or to do a search for some item or a clue.
You are right. Just to point it out. Look at Chloe18, Dilmur, LolitaGoneWild for instance. Those are genuinly sanbox games. The plot/story advances regardles if you done everything. There si plenty to roam if you do not advance the story. Playing does not require to advance. And advancing does not shut down places to roam. And point and click well i remember Full Throtlle. That is a great example of what point and click is. A game where you actually have to solve the puzzles to advance. Only the puzzles/minigames are really part of the story. Not Decorating a room. The last is of course open for discussion. It rather depends on what is challenging/enjoyable to the player.

Soucer

Donor
Nov 1, 2019
RoomToRent 0.8.0
Removed links as main post has been updated

New version adds one more event at the evening of day 8 and makes the day complete. it's not huge in terms of playtime, but it contains a tremendous amount of work and another 174 new renderings/images.

Last edited:

mikey36

Jan 10, 2021
View attachment 265898

Overview:
"Room to Rent" is about a young man that moves into a shared apartment where a mother lives with her daughter. The gameplay will be more like in classic point and click adventures and focuses on one main story.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Thread Updated: 2022-02-26
Release Date: 2022-02-25
Developer: NERDWORKS -
Censored: No
Version: 0.8.0
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Folding Table Instructions:

DOWNLOAD
Win: - - -
Update only: - - -

Extra: CG (v0.5.4)

Syerate thanks for the link

View attachment 265899 View attachment 265900 View attachment 265901 View attachment 265902 View attachment 265903 View attachment 265904 View attachment 265905 View attachment 265906 View attachment 265907 View attachment 265908 View attachment 265909 View attachment 265910 View attachment 265911
The clicking in this game is just not it. I dont think anyone finds it enjoyable to click 100 times doing simple tasks. Games that get good reviews have actual content not just endless clicking in random spots to do trivial things. Please consider this next time.

Reactions: Sparhawker

Jonah Arkon

Sep 22, 2017
Yep the Clicking is relentless and mind numbing to the point when the good scenes appear it's just not that interesting anymore. The game does have some nicely make characters that seem to have some back story to them. It would be more interesting to concentrate on building the relastionship with them instead of playing little mind nubming games like travel up and doe the stairs or unfolding at table or setting up your room, which by the way one does not have free rain to set it up proberly and in a manner that allows flow. Well thanks but not again. Good luck though.

Reactions: Sparhawker
2.50 star(s) 94 Votes