Deleted member 770309

Jul 23, 2018
The writing is good, it's the plot that's lacking. The characterization of the main character/antagonist could bore a sheep.
I strongly agree with the whole MarySue thing. Those were my thoughts exactly as I was playing the game: " When do I get to gut this uninteresting, insufferable MarySue-ish b*tch like a fish and move on with the rest of the characters?"
Alas, it wasn't meant to be, because the creator/s are too much in love with their "stronkwomyn" discount femme-fatale to address the issue of having everything revolving around an annoying primadonna you can't even bear to love-to-hate. She's oh-so-absolutely-evil, such an intelligent, corruptive influence, a sexual-maelstrom of pure... No, boy. She's a mere nuissance.
There reasons i could barely even push my self to finish this.

1337Bob

Jan 31, 2018
It's weird to see so many people criticising the writing. Sanguine Rose has been one of my favourite adult VNs of all time, in major part because I consider its writing to be quite good, and well above the absolute garbage standard of writing that plagues adult games as a whole. I also don't understand the criticism of Carmen's character as a super evil, manipulative Mary Sue, when that's the point of her character. Her character is meant to be a caricature. Maybe it's just different strokes for different folks, but the criticism of Carmen is like criticising the Wicked Witch of the West, or any of the female Disney villians for being too evil or powerful. In fact, that's what I'd liken Carmen to - a sexual, adult version of the Maleficent or the Evil Queen from Snow White. An adult dark fantasy version of a fairy tale. More Brothers Grimm than Disney.

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
Will the final version be made available for Mac?
We have Mac downloads on our Itch.io page.

SanchoMod
Sanguine Rose - GUI/Font Mod

Don't like the OEM font and/or find it eyestraining to read? I've gotcha covered. GUI spacing improvement, font replacement.

Installation: Extract the attached into the "game" folder.
Uninstall: Delete "SanchoModFont.rpyc" file.

Regards.

View attachment 1298763 View attachment 1298762
This is really cool and I approve of people altering the UI/font to make it more accessible.

Reactions: MeltyQuest

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
Looks like the Night Shift to me. You want to send the gang to town to get supplies day 1, then when you finish up your first conversation with Carmen, Glasha will ask to go to town. Tell her no, then when she asks again tell her she can go on the night if she takes over now. This puts Roman on the night shift where Carmen attacks him.

To unlock the scene, you have to play the scene twice, once with Carmen and Roman having a positive relationship in their first conversation, and once with a negative relationship.
That did it, thank you!

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
This is really cool and I approve of people altering the UI/font to make it more accessible.
Thanks but now I've created more mods for the title but you might not be as approving :). Considering putting it out as a multi-mod as is my general style, which will include the gui/font option (oem or custom), gallery scene unlock screen (that doesn't change the persistent file so the original gallery scene page is unaffected), gallery pic unlock screen, and some other goodies. We'll see, I still want to polish it to a diamond as the title properly deserves. Thanks for all your work, I'm quite the fan and supporter. BTW, I really dig the way you coded the gallery unlock hints. I think that's brilliant work as is some other areas of the coding. Kindest regards.

A couple teaser pics. OEM scene not affected and mod scene screen all unlocked:

SRose SM B03a.jpg SRose SM B03b.jpg SRose SM B03c.jpg

Last edited:

Sh4ark

Donor
Dec 9, 2016
Pretty cool. Valentine is a completely depraved pshycopath but pretty cool regardless. In a grimdark way.

A small suggestion: a transparent text box would have been nice, even as an option. The art is too good to be covered by anything that isn't absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Dusky Hallows

volxzg

Nov 29, 2018
Hey, glad you enjoyed it! We're currently working on a new game called Joystick Bliss which is very different to Sanguine Rose but we're both open to making something in the Sanguine Rose universe again at some point, or making something like it. It might be a while though because we're only two people and can't work especially quickly.
Best Of Luck :)

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
Thanks but now I've created more mods for the title but you might not be as approving :). Considering putting it out as a multi-mod as is my general style, which will include the gui/font option (oem or custom), gallery scene unlock screen (that doesn't change the persistent file so the original gallery scene page is unaffected), gallery pic unlock screen, and some other goodies. We'll see, I still want to polish it to a diamond as the title properly deserves. Thanks for all your work, I'm quite the fan and supporter. BTW, I really dig the way you coded the gallery unlock hints. I think that's brilliant work as is some other areas of the coding. Kindest regards.
Sounds all good by me. Honestly the only thing I dislike about people looking at the game's code is how self-conscious it makes me. I'm self-taught and when I ported Sanguine Rose from flash to Renpy initially I'd never worked with Renpy before, so I'm very pleased to hear that you think (at least some of) the code is well written. I definitely focused more on writing the story than customising the GUI and streamlining features, so you have my blessing to tweak those in any mods you release.

Pretty cool. Valentine is a completely depraved pshycopath but pretty cool regardless. In a grimdark way.

A small suggestion: a transparent text box would have been nice, even as an option. The art is too good to be covered by anything that isn't absolutely necessary.
If you're playing on PC you can press 'h' to hide the dialogue box.

caxhub

Engaged Member
Aug 22, 2019
this is an unofficial android port Sanguine Rose [v4.1] APK -

Reactions: cib64

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Sounds all good by me. Honestly the only thing I dislike about people looking at the game's code is how self-conscious it makes me. I'm self-taught and when I ported Sanguine Rose from flash to Renpy initially I'd never worked with Renpy before, so I'm very pleased to hear that you think (at least some of) the code is well written. I definitely focused more on writing the story than customising the GUI and streamlining features, so you have my blessing to tweak those in any mods you release.
I think you are being quite humble. Your use of arrays alone blows most devs out of the water. It's rare that I see them used at all but you use them throughout and extensively. They are so well done that your code has been educational as well as enjoyable, so there's absolutely nothing to be self-conscious about imho. You also use proper etiquette and don't write dialogue and paragraphs of story text in the menu choices, most titles use the menu choice as a "label" of sorts to write story. It's a minor detail but one that shows your coding based on proper foundation. I could go on with example after example but I should be brief and not bore folks. Suffice it to say that I bought more than half a dozen copies of the title last year and gifted to folks. Again, appreciate your work.

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
I think you are being quite humble. Your use of arrays alone blows most devs out of the water. It's rare that I see them used at all but you use them throughout and extensively. They are so well done that your code has been educational as well as enjoyable, so there's absolutely nothing to be self-conscious about imho. You also use proper etiquette and don't write dialogue and paragraphs of story text in the menu choices, most titles use the menu choice as a "label" of sorts to write story. It's a minor detail but one that shows your coding based on proper foundation. I could go on with example after example but I should be brief and not bore folks. Suffice it to say that I bought more than half a dozen copies of the title last year and gifted to folks. Again, appreciate your work.
I really appreciate you saying so! I've reluctantly come to accept praise for my writing, but this is a first being complimented on my coding. I'm thrilled to hear it. A big thanks from both of us for your support, and I hope we can continue to make games you enjoy!

Foreigner10

Oct 10, 2018
It's weird to see so many people criticising the writing. Sanguine Rose has been one of my favourite adult VNs of all time, in major part because I consider its writing to be quite good, and well above the absolute garbage standard of writing that plagues adult games as a whole. I also don't understand the criticism of Carmen's character as a super evil, manipulative Mary Sue, when that's the point of her character. Her character is meant to be a caricature. Maybe it's just different strokes for different folks, but the criticism of Carmen is like criticising the Wicked Witch of the West, or any of the female Disney villians for being too evil or powerful. In fact, that's what I'd liken Carmen to - a sexual, adult version of the Maleficent or the Evil Queen from Snow White. An adult dark fantasy version of a fairy tale. More Brothers Grimm than Disney.
Personally, what bothers me about the game is that there is no way for you to beat her, or you lose to her, or join her, it bothers me a little, of course there's the ending where there's a draw game, but I can't consider that winning.

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
Personally, what bothers me about the game is that there is no way for you to beat her, or you lose to her, or join her, it bothers me a little, of course there's the ending where there's a draw game, but I can't consider that winning.
Considering that she's mad as fuck as well as the ruler... And that she's a noble who's education was superior in comparison to MC plus the knowledge of past experiences then, it's more than difficultt to surpass her by those conditions. What bothers me is the lack of content for Glasha.

Dusky Hallows

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2017
What bothers me is the lack of content for Glasha.
Now this is a criticism I can own 100%. Glasha (and Markus, but that's a different problem) deserve way more sex scenes - especially with Roman. It's not something that's really possible to change without altering the character dynamics and their personalities in a way which undermines the narrative, but if I could go back to the start of the design process I would've made every character horny for every other character. Our philosophy going into Joystick Bliss is "Every character is dtf, and can be fucked" so lesson learned I guess.

4.20 star(s) 78 Votes