VN RPGM Onhold Saria Reclaimed [v0.17] [Velminth]

2.40 star(s) 158 Votes

wardeityjesus

Dec 22, 2018
Turning your game from something as unique as a Lisa Like rpg into whatever this is supposed to be is one of the most disappointing things i've ever seen happen to a project, I'd have preferred if they just abandoned it, but given their attitude thats probably going to happen anyway.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
The good thing about the new update is that the game now has more choices than it did before. That shows what kind of route Vel wants to take this since it's going to be a VN. More choices to do sexy consensual things = more variety.

I reckon the dev won't be replying here again? Anyone from the discord can say if that's the case? Speaking of, the discord link at the front page has expired.

Warphorror

Jan 2, 2018
The good thing about the new update is that the game now has more choices than it did before. That shows what kind of route Vel wants to take this since it's going to be a VN. More choices to do sexy consensual things = more variety.

I reckon the dev won't be replying here again? Anyone from the discord can say if that's the case? Speaking of, the discord link at the front page has expired.
Where did you find thoses choices I didn't manage to have one? I couldn't take any naughty choice.
The change of gameplay focus isn't a problem in itself, even though I'm biased toward the rpg map adventuring one, as long as the new one is good in its own way.
However if the gameplay is redoing story event in loop then it's hurting the more narative focus gameplay, losing an encounter doesn't affect the story, just redo the whole narration and conversation without any change and try again. A VN style game cannot hide the combat repetition, it even make it more obvious in this case compare to map encounters that respawn when your character sleep and that you can bypass by moving from camp to camp.
If the dev goes full VN, which is his right, I hope he will put the stats affecting elements in unique event where the player can choose rather than locking it behind redoing the same conversation over and over again because in my opinion it harms the narrative, remove the cohesion of the world and the story.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
Where did you find thoses choices I didn't manage to have one? I couldn't take any naughty choice.
There's two choices you can make. One is in the 2nd chapter where you can suck off a cactus. And the other choice is to dance naked on the table for all the guards. There's some hidden lust value or whatever though. I got the choices to open up after getting harassed a lot during the boss fight.

Reactions: Warphorror

Hiroshi000

Jan 24, 2020
There's two choices you can make. One is in the 2nd chapter where you can suck off a cactus. And the other choice is to dance naked on the table for all the guards. There's some hidden lust value or whatever though. I got the choices to open up after getting harassed a lot during the boss fight.
I mean having the option to lewd or not lewd the heroine is not that great in terms of choice system.
Maybe we will get a more complex one later but as of now is very very basic and it was implemented already in dozens of rpgm games so nothing groundbreaking.
Instead i don't understand why the dev scrapped the planned boss fight system where essentially you had to choose between different approaches to defeat the boss.
Now that would have been interesting to see.

Reactions: rasafip143

OrangePeel

Oct 27, 2017
Those are not real choices because:
  • the narrative doesn't change regardless of which option you choose (it branches out, offers you an optional lewd scene, then immediately branches back to the linear story)
  • you can replay the chapter at any time and make different "choices" without changing anything
  • NPCs aren't reactive to your choices outside of the specific scene
In fact, this makes the current version of the game worse than most of the VNs here. At least they have real choices with branching narrative and doesn't gate scenes behind a RNG combat system.

BigBiggieBig

Jan 6, 2019
Those are not real choices because:
  • the narrative doesn't change regardless of which option you choose (it branches out, offers you an optional lewd scene, then immediately branches back to the linear story)
  • you can replay the chapter at any time and make different "choices" without changing anything
  • NPCs aren't reactive to your choices outside of the specific scene
In fact, this makes the current version of the game worse than most of the VNs here. At least they have real choices with branching narrative and doesn't gate scenes behind a RNG combat system.
I don't exactly have much to defend with the current iteration of the game, however, from reading some of the dev's posts on Discord/F95 I can assume that his plans for the future include some sort of 'corruption' metric that will affect whether or not such options are unlocked, but it will also mainly be for some sort of hub that *might* resemble the previous versions of the game, with potential minigames such as the massage thing.

But this is all speculation as nothing has been confirmed and it may take upwards of a year for us to see any such content so....lmao.

Darkslayer274

Jun 18, 2020
Saria reclaimed was a game I had very high hopes for. I thought it would be as good as Karryn's Prison. Excellent voice acting, good art, enjoyable gameplay, it had everything going for it. I played 0.16 and it feels like I got sucker punched. It is such a step in the wrong direction that it doesn't feel remotely anything like it was before. I really hope the dev reverts back and continues on from the old game play style. It just feels like it's going to crash and burn on it's new path.

PowWow

May 28, 2020
You know, a lot of the current backlash could've been avoided if Vel hadn't gone radio silent for those 4 months while reworking the game.
No posts on Twitter or Itchio and although the Trello was being updated it gave very limited information that in no way suggested the game was being entirely remade. Not sure if the Patreon and such were getting updates but it's kind of obvious that there will be backlash if people wait 4 months for an update only to get a complete rework that doesn't even have a quarter of the previously existing content.

Adlai

Oct 24, 2019
IDK. I gave the new version a fair shot and...

It feels really arbitrary. A couple times, the enemy went first and one shot me and I couldn't do anything about it. The numbers on the cards have no real connection with how much damage the enemy does. (like, there was a card with a 2-5 and he did ten damage, suggesting that it's a damage multiplier rather than a range.)

Also, Switching Genre's like this is pretty jarring.

I'll give this time to cook, but TBH, not a huge fan of LN's in general.

Reactions: dragonsix6969

GhostProject

Jul 8, 2017
I feel like we need to update the overview now:

"Overview:
A lewd Sidescrolling/RPG.
In Saria Reclaimed you play as Saria, a wandering samurai of Cardinal's Heart,
an oasis town in the vast desert filled with bandits and abominations.
Will she give in to her desires and corruption or continue on the bloody path of a Pure Maiden ? "

It ain't a sidescrolling rpg anymore lol
There's also no corruption system, just randomized unlockable passives.

TipTap

May 22, 2020
What is respectful here is that the dev is granting you free access to the game, its content, and its update for now, even if you don't like them.
The manner your post has been written may however suggest you are agreeing people are not respectful in this thread, though.

Respect is indeed a two-way street.
Is it respectful? This new version is certainly not what I put money to support, and if there was any indication this is what it would become then I wouldn't have given anything. I have given advice and feedback as the dev cycle went along, but it was ignored.

This might be respectful if it was free, but certainly not as-is, and definitely not with the responses the dev has been putting out.

JUDAEL

Jul 8, 2017
Western dev mindbroken by trying to create an actual game, went back to milk patreon money by making yet another renpy VN slop
Still better than many devs who scammed and are still scamming you for years...which many deserved.

VroX

Dec 17, 2017
Still better than many devs who scammed and are still scamming you for years...which many deserved.
I don't pay for unfinished western games, especially patreon stuff and this game is an example why you should never do it, you paid for a game you thought had potential just for the dev to do a 180 and start making a different game, if that isn't a scam what is.

Xill

Jan 10, 2018
BITCH THIS IS A PIRACY WEBSITE, STFU.

Your ignorance and selfishness really tends to show me what kind of person you are in RL and the 14 idiots that liked you.

Get, the fuck, over it, the dev is entitlted to do what they want did you give them your money? No? Then you have no say in the matter. Even if you did give them your money, its fucking Patreon, go complain about it in a constructive manner on his page.
To every other dipshit thinking they should like this man's post. Try to push some blood towards your pre-frontal cortex instead of your amygdala and do a little bit more thinking.
You know what's the worst thing about this site? People think that because it's a pirate site it's ok if they act like hooligans with zero respect towards human beings. If you re-read your post hopefully you will realize that you're part of this spectrum. And that includes some devs and even some mods around here.

And I'm sorry but there have been many posts from Vel since the very beginning of this thread where he acts like everyone else is a worm that deserves to be crushed under his foot. He even acts like this on his discord too. It's not that he doesn't accept criticism, it's that he hates it and everyone who dares offer any. I'm not a therapist but I suspect the idea of working as a wage slave irl with a 9-5 job under a shitstain boss/CEO has affected him badly in the past and he has vowed to never again experience something like that.

I wouldn't blame him honestly, just wish he was more humble.

2.40 star(s) 158 Votes