VN RPGM Onhold Saria Reclaimed [v0.17] [Velminth]

2.40 star(s) 158 Votes

PokMan

Dec 22, 2018
I'll still keep watch on this game, but it really sucks they decided to take the game into a more safer direction.

This was in my priority watch list of games that I would pay for if it ever got fully released.

Now it's moved over to my random H games backlog.

I'm not angry, just fucking disappointed.

Supreme_Evil

⸸ БѢСЪ ⸸
Uploader
Oct 16, 2020
I mean, its pretty clear what happened...

up to .13 cribbing notes from Karryn because VEL WAS PLAYING IT.
past .14 Karryn is old news, VEL IS NOW INTO CARD GAMES.
Now .16 and VEL IS BINGING REN'PY VNs.

Expect .18 to rework into an MMO and include FemHrothgar.
Expect .19 to rework into a side-scroller type a shit.

Lolastoned

Jul 1, 2017
I think it's fair to say that this always sort of felt like a tech demo. I don't think the plot moved forward in 18 months or more of development. It certainly moved sideways with some areas - the fungus springs to mind. The card system... honestly can work if it's good enough. It wasn't here even if the original combat was copying Karryn's Prison. It's not a bad thing to copy a combat system that flows. The card system didn't. It was clunky but not iterated on. The wasted sprite work is a crime. Dev doesn't give a fuck about users/backers/criticism but we'll all still scribble thoughts down. Why not? Will keep up for CGI rips I guess. Not sure this new direction for the game will go anywhere except Abandoned.

Sicko123

Nov 28, 2017
There was a poll they made so its forever changed
:ROFLMAO: I remember that, was really surprised with the results. Thought more people would had voted for the rpg format, like the card game style can be good but me personally. I'm not a huge fan of the new remake either, if it was something more like "last evil" with animation and game over scenes. Then that would be fantastic but that maybe asking for too much, since it does use a different game engine.

Reactions: fraazx

Scavedro

Sep 28, 2017
Damn what happened, this used to be one of the most promising western game. I actually liked it more than Karryn prison and i think this game has more potentials.
Perhaps worst thing that can happen is not dev abandoning its project, but turning it into complete shit.

May 12, 2019
I honestly think it would have been a better move to just announce a second game with the new system and finish up Saria with the old system. Yeah people would still be pissed that development time is taken away from Saria and it may take more time between updates but it would have been way better than reworking the entire game. I understand that developing a game is not easy at all especially when youre making one with hand drawn art but as a developer you also should understand that when you use something like Patreon to fund the operation month after month you are essentially betraying many of the people that helped build up your platform. This just gives the patreon business model an even more bad look than it already has. Many Adult video game developers depend on Patreon but fans are now made more aware (and rightfully so) that the projects they support have the possibility of being abandoned or turned into something completely different from what they originally enjoyed. It's tied or worse than supporting an indiegogo or kickstarter because historically those have a pretty equal or maybe even less chance to fail.

Yeah the majority of patrons voted to keep the new system but that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of supporters or past supporters that are negatively affected by this. And to say that he doesn't care about how much money hes making and letting that influence the decision but then to make a poll on what system people prefer just seems like a weird flex and a way to stroke his own ego and get some validation lol and to shut up the "haters" i guess. I don't like doomposting and I truly want to see games in this niche become the best they can possibly be but this is an important reminder that some devs can be real dicks and doing things like this can be more harmful to the community than good. Support those who listen and value their community input whether paid supporters or not, forums like this are important and neccessary. It's a balancing act. I think it's okay for devs who know what they're doing to make their own decisions, but a lot of devs in this genre are relatively new and rely on the community input to continue refining the game and make it more enjoyable. Unfortunately some devs tend to get bigheaded or maybe always were and this is the result, indecisiveness ultimately leading to a community divide with what looks like an even split at best when there were other options out there to keep the good faith. :(

Reactions: fraazx and Ironclad

Catabolis

Jul 13, 2020
It's really irrelevant how much he was making or what his motivations were. I really don't care and if the product is good in the end those are all footnotes. Velminth is many things but he's always been a hard worker that does not scam anyone. The issue is not that 0.16 is a scam or represents theft of any kind, and I really think it was released because the developer worked hard on what they believe is a good direction for the game.

I think it sucks, but I also think NTR and guro games suck. They are for someone that isn't me. If the point of 0.16 moving forward is to make this game great, I hope it finds fans. It just wasn't what I wanted out of the project and I don't think it's very good.

AH-64E

Nov 2, 2017
Ah, entitled artist mentality. Whenever I see people hating on AI art, I know that they're either artists or individuals that have never worked with artists. Perfection of AI art generation can't come soon enough.

These people could be eating uncooked potatoes out of a can, and they'll still act like they're too good to draw you a double amputee catgirl that uses her detached limbs as throwing weapons.

Not that I ever tried to commission such a thing. . .

Hiroshi000

Jan 24, 2020
It's really irrelevant how much he was making or what his motivations were. I really don't care and if the product is good in the end those are all footnotes. Velminth is many things but he's always been a hard worker that does not scam anyone. The issue is not that 0.16 is a scam or represents theft of any kind, and I really think it was released because the developer worked hard on what they believe is a good direction for the game.
The problem isnt Vel's work ethic but instead the fact that the guy/gal simply cant take criticism.
And before you ask yes people did give him constructive criticism on discord,itch and even f95zone but his response was to ban people on discord,delete comments on itch and being outright rude to those who gave any criticism or voiced displeasure.
And just because it's a free game it doesnt mean that it's excluded from criticism.
If you distribute something to the public you need to accept the fact that people will express an opinion on it, positive or negative.

Imp Sana

Oct 18, 2018
The alerts make me feeling like i missing something very important this year , and its January , holy shit . Whats going on here .

May 12, 2019

I think it sucks, but I also think NTR and guro games suck. They are for someone that isn't me. If the point of 0.16 moving forward is to make this game great, I hope it finds fans. It just wasn't what I wanted out of the project and I don't think it's very good.
The problem isnt Vel's work ethic but instead the fact that the guy/gal simply cant take criticism.
And before you ask yes people did give him constructive criticism on discord,itch and even f95zone but his response was to ban people on discord,delete comments on itch and being outright rude to those who gave any criticism or voiced displeasure.
And just because it's a free game it doesnt mean that it's excluded from criticism.
If you distribute something to the public you need to accept the fact that people will express an opinion on it, positive or negative.
These are both really great takes and I'm really happy well-spoken people have come forward to say something because it truly highlights how big of an issue this has become. It's not just some F95 freeloading haters spouting shit, it's genuine supporters and players of the game who don't like the direction the game has taken and the attitude of the developer of said game. Catabolis your review is also super spot on. It's an objective and informative review that any newcomer can read and access whether the current build of the game is for them or not. Yes, it might end up being a very good game for many people but the big community divide and bad attitude towards valid criticism are really gonna hurt and make it hard to wanna support them. But again, Velminth hasn't done anything "legally wrong" just ethically I guess and the main reason being their ego leaves a bad taste. People like you guys are what reminds us why F95 is important as a bridge between developers and the community of AVGs, and why it's important for devs to browse this forum instead of silencing people on their discords and creating echo chambers. Yeah there are a ton of ungrateful freeloaders here but thats like every community.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifllslonly

Ghizghuth

Oct 6, 2019
1704986153805.png

Can you see it? My horrid discovery?
Can you feel the despair?

Damn my desire to see significant updates between versions, this deadly sin.

2.40 star(s) 158 Votes