3.90 star(s) 109 Votes

NakedSingularity

May 17, 2022
Does anyone else think it's weird that the game keeps mentioning the girls' gums during BJ scenes? That's literally just the part of the mouth that attaches the teeth to the jaw, isn't it? Every time the game mentions gums, it puts this picture in my head of a girl with no teeth, and it reminds me of the horrifying and uncomfortable joke in Nutty Professor 2 with the grandma saying, "Come over here, and I'll gum ya." That is not what I want to be reminded of while playing this kind of a game.
Is there something about how blowjobs work that I'm failing to understand?
Maybe they had some sort of early dental problem and now wear dentures? At least there's no bite mark anxiety if they are still learning virgins. Apparently it must be common when every other singles ad in just about every singles site mentions something like "please have all your teeth to message me", though that's mostly the girls pleading.

NakedSingularity

May 17, 2022
Sad to see that this game is now finished. But have a question or 2. 1. Will there be a sequel? and 2. Why is Irene the only one with that gets pregnant?
My guess is no sequel is coming and Irene was only one knocked up both because it ended early. Guessing everyone was originally planned to get knocked up, but dev got tired/burned out.

Last edited:

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
In general, I like Super Writer, and normally my default stance is that the artist can tell their story however they want. Picture Perfect was one of my favorites, and overall I enjoyed this one, too, but I can't deny having some complaints. SW says they're not big on writing long and involved epilogues. Okay, I'm prepared to support that. Not every movie does the Fast Times thing. That's cool. Sometimes, when a story gets to the end, it's just over. With that in mind, I hope that if SW sees this, they will take it as constructive criticism.

My experience was, I downloaded v0.15, played it to the end, and continued on from there when v1.0 beta came out.
Which means that my experience playing was that Norah got threatened by some mysterious crime lord named "Mother," and then Mother ended up doing us a favor free of charge to help out Zoe, which could (theoretically, based on any other similar story I've ever seen) put us in her debt and therefore an even worse position with the bakery, and then it's never brought up again. I think some consideration needs to be given to the fact that people play these Patreon "project-in-progress" games like they're a TV show, not a movie. I feel like I was watching a show that got cancelled suddenly and left plot threads totally unresolved. It's all well and good for people who come along LATER if the whole bakery threat is removed, but for anyone who was playing (or supporting and playing) along the way, that's naturally gonna be really frustrating. Not only because of that particular plot thread, but because that was the last thing that happened with Norah. So, it feels like she didn't get any ending at all. I spent the whole rest of the game, going along through all the other girls, distracted by worrying about what was gonna happen to the damn bakery! Coming to this forum and hunting around through comments to find out that was abandoned doesn't feel like carefully considered editing from this side of things. It feels like a messy retcon.

I was super excited to see how things would turn out with the Dating Sim and tournament for MC and Coral. The game doesn't get to completion and is never published, so we don't know how that's gonna work out for them. The big prize for winning the tournament is getting to design DLC characters for the game, which is awesome for them, because they're into game development! Then we don't get to know anything about what kind of DLC characters they design, or if that leads to any lasting connections in the game industry. Even just a few more sentences with no additional images could have made this feel like a complete and well-rounded ending for them. I don't need to know if they start a whole game company, or how successful it is, or even what happens the next time they hang out with Miracle and Sasha. This was so close to being a complete ending for them, but it just fell short for me.

Irene's "walk." Dude. The second I saw the word "walk," I knew that was a reference to "walking down the aisle." It's a known thing that parents, especially old fashioned or "superstitious" (i.e. religious) ones, want their kids to be married before a grand-kid gets born, because being born out of wedlock is the actual literal definition of the word bastard. This thing with thanking the spirits for their aid, but not expecting a wedding, is just ... whatever the intention was, it looks like a half-measure or backpedaling, and it was disappointing. Especially since, presumably, Irene is the only one of the girls that the MC legally can marry, it would have made total sense if he did.

To make it worse, it doesn't even sound like Irene got divorced from John! To that I say, HELL NO. There's a lot I can accept in these kind of games as far as other men are concerned, but if they're gonna go around talking like he's her man and she's his woman things cannot end with her still being married to that asshole. If nothing else, if she's still married to John when that baby gets born, he could claim custody of it, and with John and MC's DNA being so similar it would be a difficult battle to stop him. From what I've seen of John, that's exactly the kind of crap I'd expect from him.

Then there's the fact that the MC specifically says, "I'd like to know if I passed" in reference to Irene's father's little "test" and gaining his approval. That very much felt like a set-up for a follow-up scene that then didn't happen. I mean, I kept having to make choices that felt like I was earning points with the guy, and then ... nothing.

Zoe brings up a desire, and matching concerns, about changing her career path and potentially taking a year off from law school to further explore that idea. MC encourages her to follow her heart, but ... we're not told whether or not she ever makes a final decision about whether to take the time off or not, let alone whether she will end up ditching law school altogether. Again, plot point that are central to her character, her law career and her blog. They were the main focuses of her character, the balance of those things was called into question, and we're never told what happens with any of it.

Leanne want to get back into dancing, and for her that means getting into the dance school she wants. We help her out, she passes her audition and gets in. Presumably, she'll spend the next few years in dance school doing recitals and whatnot. We don't need to know what happens with the long-term future of her dance career, so this is fine. This one felt like a fully finished story arch that was brought to happy conclusion at a reasonable spot. No complaints.

So, SW, as someone who would normally take your side on any artistic control or editing or design concerns with this kind of thing (I mean, just look at my signature, right?), I have to tell you, 4 out of 5 of these girls definitely do not feel like a short, simple, straight to the point ending. They feel like they stopped before they were over. I know you spent a lot of time with these characters and this game already, but isn't that all the more reason to want to finish the job properly? Personally, I can't imagine putting in this amount of time and work and then leaving things this way. I'm sorry, but this game does not feel finished, and frankly, seeing "Okay, people. This is the end of Secret Summer" made it feel like you knew people weren't gonna be happy, and you just didn't care. Like you were just sick of dealing with these characters and you were ready to throw them away. You don't have to do anything just for the players, but that phrasing as a "The End" felt like a slap in the face.

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
Oh my, SW will leave here pretty soon again...
Do you think it would help if I paid $20 or whatever to sign up for their Patreon and posted my commentary there? Because honestly, I have enough confidence in their ability that I'd be willing to do that just to make a point to them. SW can do better than this, and they should, for their own sake.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
He will anyway, as he has already announced.
But I don't know why he should delete himself because of Guyin Cognito's post.

Rarely read such a good critical post that is not rude or personally attacking in any way.

This is criticism to work with.
Hi. It was not meant for that specific post alone, it's actually for the last pages of postings. And don't get me wrong, even I think some of the endings are a bit rushed. But SW already stated in his post a few pages before why he did it that way, permanently telling him that it should have been made different will only lead to that he leaves here even faster.

NakedSingularity

May 17, 2022
... Especially since, presumably, Irene is the only one of the girls that the MC legally can marry, it would have made total sense if he did. ...
Meh, they could have simply moved to my state and the sisters would have been covered (sibling incest is legal in Ohio, I know because I've been married to my sis for 12 years). Granted, with that solution he would have had to pick one and Norah would have been left out in the cold (sibling incest is fine but sadly intergenerational is still illegal as is polygamy) but the point is where there's a will there's a way. If nothing else rent a yacht, bring a justice or minister and get it done in international waters if none of the 194 countries will overlook the incest and polygamy aspects. But at the end of the day it's a lot to go through for what amounts to a mostly unnecessary legal contract.

NakedSingularity

May 17, 2022
In general, I like Super Writer, and normally my default stance is that the artist can tell their story however they want. Picture Perfect was one of my favorites, and overall I enjoyed this one, too, but I can't deny having some complaints. SW says they're not big on writing long and involved epilogues. Okay, I'm prepared to support that. Not every movie does the Fast Times thing. That's cool. Sometimes, when a story gets to the end, it's just over. With that in mind, I hope that if SW sees this, they will take it as constructive criticism.

So, SW, as someone who would normally take your side on any artistic control or editing or design concerns with this kind of thing (I mean, just look at my signature, right?), I have to tell you, 4 out of 5 of these girls definitely do not feel like a short, simple, straight to the point ending. They feel like they stopped before they were over. I know you spent a lot of time with these characters and this game already, but isn't that all the more reason to want to finish the job properly? Personally, I can't imagine putting in this amount of time and work and then leaving things this way. I'm sorry, but this game does not feel finished, and frankly, seeing "Okay, people. This is the end of Secret Summer" made it feel like you knew people weren't gonna be happy, and you just didn't care. Like you were just sick of dealing with these characters and you were ready to throw them away. You don't have to do anything just for the players, but that phrasing as a "The End" felt like a slap in the face.
Another thing I noticed is there's several choices that set variables (this character or the game will remember that) that ultimately do nothing that I can tell. It's like he started with more updates in mind and just ran out of enthusiasm mid-update as he was writing/coding the last one.

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
Meh, they could have simply moved to my state and the sisters would have been covered (sibling incest is legal in Ohio, I know because I've been married to my sis for 12 years).
Know any good housing available there? Anywhere in the whole state is fine.

J/k. I personally have no RL interest in anyone I'm related to, but I did learn that it's OK in Ohio today, so thanks for the post. I hope you and your sister are happy.

Reactions: NakedSingularity

NakedSingularity

May 17, 2022
Know any good housing available there? Anywhere in the whole state is fine.

J/k. I personally have no RL interest in anyone I'm related to, but I did learn that it's OK in Ohio today, so thanks for the post. I hope you and your sister are happy.
Yes, very. We've been "together" for almost 17 years, married for 12, 6 kids. If I had more free time I'd make an AVN based on a true story (kinda like Leap of Faith but less emphasis on the depressing shit, thankfully no one jumped off a bridge and killed themselves). Almost 20 years worth of material and counting. Maybe eventually...

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

VonRaschke

Aug 11, 2016
Is it really so hard to make a good or enjoyable ending?
I don't understand the logic in doing things like this, it just leaves a nasty taste in my mouth.
To the point of making me have no desire to support this dev, or play any of his other game, it's like he just says fuck it.
I'm done with this game who cares??? Wow, you really are a Super Writer :FacePalm:
The dev most likely is starting games before figuring out a complete story. Can't get Patreon money for just brainstorming so I suppose this model of development rewards just starting games first and figuring out the endings later, especially when the model rewards dragging out updates at a monthly pace (and some devs even get rewarded for not even putting out a single update every month).

Kassan06969

Apr 14, 2022
Coral is the hottest. I'd fucking be her slave. I wish the later part with the lawyer girl wasn't male dom. Big turnoff.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
is this game finished?
Yes, it's finished. There will be or already is a steam release after this version with maybe some fixes (I actually did not had any problems) But for me there should be already the finished tag for this game.

Reactions: kondt
3.90 star(s) 109 Votes