3.90 star(s) 109 Votes

Anus Mundi

Nov 27, 2018
I'm really happy to see everyone enjoying the reworked chapter so much.
Well...not quite everyone, tho. ;)

You can comment whatever you want lol. But if you're just going to complain about something without constructive criticism how I can make the story better or something, then I probably won't respond. I'm only interested in making this the best game I can. =]
Ok, i'll give it a try. Since the story is exactly the same, there is no use in going into detail. It's a nice plain enjoyable "household"-story *cough*. Been there, done that. Nothing wrong with it.

I'll begin with the main menu (Vanilla version/Reworked version):

Pretty much standard RenPy, (probably) all LI on display. Very colorful, but ok. Buttons highlighting with mouse over them. Fine.
Errr....ok, looks deserted. The menu is a bit messy. Some lost looking women sitting on the right. Ah, ok, i get it (moving mouse) ... very jerky. Ah there are the other possible LI. Information screen for every girl, nice, but... Ok, now, where was the menu? Jerking back. No highlighting. Instead i get a weird noise when i click on a button.
In comparison the vanilla screen looks more mature though i like the idea of the information screen. The new menu is overloaded with....stuff but also looks pretty empty at the same time.

Next stop: Settings

Oh, nice. Just an overlay above the main screen, that's new. Funny font. No (bad) surprises.
Wtf has been happening here? Oh, wow, there's cream and icing and glitter and ... awww, no unicorn nor a rainbow. Instead i can barely make out the controller settings. Oh, and text speed doesn't save.
Same issue here: Stuff, that nobody really needs but that makes everything more complicated. Just keep it simple. Less is more in this case.

Question: what's with the weird noises when you click on a button? The weirdest one was when i knocked on a door an instead of a proper *knock* i got a weird sound.

Let's go on with the characters. Some users already stated, that they liked at least the Vanilla-Corel more. So did i, but that's a matter of taste. You can't satisfy everyone. Even i will get used to it eventually. But.....instead of redoing the whole appearance of the characters, it would have been a real improvement if you would have put your energy in working on the facial expressions (especially those of Coral and Zoe). Their eyes seem pretty robotic, almost dead. Even if there's a hint of a smile the eyes don't go with it. I know you can do it, because you did a much better job on Norah (as you did on vanilla-Coral, imho).
Oh, i almost forgot: you proved a much better sense of fashion in your first attempt.

What i'm asking myself is: Why reworking the game in the first place? There was nothing really wrong with the vanilla version at all. Improvement? Ok, i get the part with the lights and stuff. But the rest? Seem to me as if you got stuck in a candy store and want to stuff everything you found inside at the same time. All you will get is a stomach ache.

Peace. :)

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020
What i'm asking myself is: Why reworking the game in the first place? There was nothing really wrong with the vanilla version at all. Improvement? Ok, i get the part with the lights and stuff. But the rest? Seem to me as if you got stuck in a candy store and want to stuff everything you found inside at the same time. All you will get is a stomach ache.
You did understand that the game was abandoned, right? He had moved onto another game (Hunger For Chaos) and only after the urging of his patreons did he decide to come back to this game and rework it. He has learned a lot since he first started this game and overall, IMO, this is an improvement on the original. You don't have to like it, no one said that, but if you don't like it then you don't have to play it.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
Well...not quite everyone, tho. ;)

Ok, i'll give it a try. Since the story is exactly the same, there is no use in going into detail. It's a nice plain enjoyable "household"-story *cough*. Been there, done that. Nothing wrong with it.

I'll begin with the main menu (Vanilla version/Reworked version):

Pretty much standard RenPy, (probably) all LI on display. Very colorful, but ok. Buttons highlighting with mouse over them. Fine.
Errr....ok, looks deserted. The menu is a bit messy. Some lost looking women sitting on the right. Ah, ok, i get it (moving mouse) ... very jerky. Ah there are the other possible LI. Information screen for every girl, nice, but... Ok, now, where was the menu? Jerking back. No highlighting. Instead i get a weird noise when i click on a button.
In comparison the vanilla screen looks more mature though i like the idea of the information screen. The new menu is overloaded with....stuff but also looks pretty empty at the same time.

Next stop: Settings

Oh, nice. Just an overlay above the main screen, that's new. Funny font. No (bad) surprises.
Wtf has been happening here? Oh, wow, there's cream and icing and glitter and ... awww, no unicorn nor a rainbow. Instead i can barely make out the controller settings. Oh, and text speed doesn't save.
Same issue here: Stuff, that nobody really needs but that makes everything more complicated. Just keep it simple. Less is more in this case.

Question: what's with the weird noises when you click on a button? The weirdest one was when i knocked on a door an instead of a proper *knock* i got a weird sound.

Let's go on with the characters. Some users already stated, that they liked at least the Vanilla-Corel more. So did i, but that's a matter of taste. You can't satisfy everyone. Even i will get used to it eventually. But.....instead of redoing the whole appearance of the characters, it would have been a real improvement if you would have put your energy in working on the facial expressions (especially those of Coral and Zoe). Their eyes seem pretty robotic, almost dead. Even if there's a hint of a smile the eyes don't go with it. I know you can do it, because you did a much better job on Norah (as you did on vanilla-Coral, imho).
Oh, i almost forgot: you proved a much better sense of fashion in your first attempt.

Peace. :)
I hired a guy to do the whole UI design, so I had nothing to do with it. But since everyone seems to not like it, I'm thinking about switching back to the previous.

But as for your comments about redoing the characters, I changed the hairstyles and clothes. Same thing with the environments because I wanted to use assets you don't see in 70% of other games now that I have a little bit of money to put back into the game. That's the reason for the rework, which took 2 - 3 weeks to do. Yes, there was nothing wrong with it. It was my decision as the creator to update things.

a lot of the decisions you see where voted on by my patrons. So, I'm assuming you are not one by the way tou are criticizing. Their opinion matters more to me more because they allow me to do the game full time. So as long as they are happy, I'm happy. The only people who seem to have a problem with the changes are those who pirate the game for free, and are not involved in the decisions.

Now I will release chapter 3 next week.

Draon79

Oct 28, 2018
Anus Mundi as MrFriendly said it was abandoned. Originally SuperWriter dropped it due to not wanting to run two 'household' games since he was already working on Picture Perfect so dropped Secret Summer since PP was further along in favor of a different genre game/VN Hunger for Chaos. Now HfC is onhold due to Patrons and fans of SS requesting it from him.

As a Programmer whenever you pick up a project you stopped working on some time ago the first thing to do is to go back through it from the beginning to re-familiarize yourself with it. Now since SW has grown as a Dev as well as a Programmer since dropping this project it is perfectly understandable that he would want to bring it up to his current skill level as far as coding and rendering, he has more assets so can make it how he imagined it back then but couldn't do it that way due to limited assets.

Also if he had just picked it back up from where he left of the difference in quality would have been jarring, best to just start over with all the improved skill and assets then to jump from ok/decent renders and assets to another level of renders entirely and different assets. It would be like before and after pictures of a plastic surgery or weight loss patient with no in-between shots to link them together, you would say they are completely different people or that the images were photoshopped.

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
Anus Mundi as MrFriendly said it was abandoned. Originally SuperWriter dropped it due to not wanting to run two 'household' games since he was already working on Picture Perfect so dropped Secret Summer since PP was further along in favor of a different genre game/VN Hunger for Chaos. Now HfC is onhold due to Patrons and fans of SS requesting it from him.

As a Programmer whenever you pick up a project you stopped working on some time ago the first thing to do is to go back through it from the beginning to re-familiarize yourself with it. Now since SW has grown as a Dev as well as a Programmer since dropping this project it is perfectly understandable that he would want to bring it up to his current skill level as far as coding and rendering, he has more assets so can make it how he imagined it back then but couldn't do it that way due to limited assets.

Also if he had just picked it back up from where he left of the difference in quality would have been jarring, best to just start over with all the improved skill and assets then to jump from ok/decent renders and assets to another level of renders entirely and different assets. It would be like before and after pictures of a plastic surgery or weight loss patient with no in-between shots to link them together, you would say they are completely different people or that the images were photoshopped.
Very, very well said. It would look like 2 different games

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
FYI, SuperWriter, after the MC wakes up having had a dream about Zoe, you have him say, "Zo? (NOTE: Not typo.)" You probably could get away with "Zo'?" instead, since the apostrophe indicates you left off the -e on purpose. I don't think it's bad as it is, but this is another option. Just a thought, but I'm loving the rework you've done/had done. (Personally, I like the title page UI and the menu design. I'd keep it, but ofc it's up to you.) I enjoyed the original version of the game, so I'm happy you've picked it up again. :)

Deleted member 1412183

Game Developer
May 15, 2019
FYI, SuperWriter, after the MC wakes up having had a dream about Zoe, you have him say, "Zo? (NOTE: Not typo.)" You probably could get away with "Zo'?" instead, since the apostrophe indicates you left off the -e on purpose. I don't think it's bad as it is, but this is another option. Just a thought, but I'm loving the rework you've done/had done. (Personally, I like the title page UI and the menu design. I'd keep it, but ofc it's up to you.) I enjoyed the original version of the game, so I'm happy you've picked it up again. :)
Very good suggestion, I think I'll actually do that. And someone else who likes the UI, finally. LOL. Got more coming soon!

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-
Sep 11, 2018
I have to disagree with anyone complaining about the UI. I play so many of these adult games especially ones made in renpy and most of the time its the same default or lazy UI. Anything new is a nice change. As for the new Main menu, it's nice. I did not have any of the slow down problems that I read about in the forums here but I am also not gaming on a toaster like a lot of the clowns on here are. Tho If you are going to make changes to it may be a highlight when you mouse over the menu options would be a nice addition. Also for anyone that does drag the mouse to the edge to scroll over you can just hold the mouse button and drag it way faster.

oni_ddr

Jan 29, 2018
I totally agree with you. In most games I use the transparent box mod. I think he was just trying to simulate the beach, though. But yeah, takes too much space.
How this mod can be done? It sure is interesting. @_@

Glooskabe

Jan 4, 2020
FYI, @SuperWriter, after the MC wakes up having had a dream about Zoe, you have him say, "Zo? (NOTE: Not typo.)" You probably could get away with "Zo'?" instead, since the apostrophe indicates you left off the -e on purpose.
In the case of a nickname, I disagree. I think Zo' looks pretty bad, and the apostrophe is in no way needed. Nicknames that are clipped forms of a full given name are pretty much never spelled with an apostrophe, in my experience anyway.

• Angry
Reactions: Profound_Madman
3.90 star(s) 109 Votes