Jan 10, 2018
I have made similar complaints in the past and I still hold the opinion Werden's route currently feels like it is either for those seeking maximum dramatic emotional angst or prizing an inability to compromise as if it was some kind of meaningful moral virtue. But I believe the devs said they will eventually rework and polish some aspects of the Rastedel sack, including making it possible for Werden's route to get better results during the sack, so for now I will instead focus on the arguments of why Werden's route could still be worthwhile.
So, I'm going to be doing the whole "argue point-by-point" thing here, but I just want to be clear from the start; these are worthwhile points you raise, and I'm just pushing back to explain why I, personally, don't find them satisfying in the broader context.

As for the sacking, though - honestly, so long as there is a sack, and the nobles get to escape with their lives, their freedom, and "a few important heirlooms", how much you can mitigate it isn't really going to change my opinion. It's not the severity that irks me, but who suffers the consequences of the nobles having let things get to this point - the point where a couple of nobodies holed up in a wasteland manage to successfully conquer their kingdom. The people who worked for a living lost everything, while the people responsible get to play karma houdini.

First, like you yourself admitted, both Werden and Marianne are huge assets for any coming war, you may not like them as people, but you'd still be happy to see them come at first light on the fifth day. The horrors that are inflicted upon Rastedel are terrible, but these character surviving have the potential of helping prevent something even worse in the future.
But what will that mean in practice? Rowan is in a position of influence currently (a stronger position of influence if he chooses literally anyone but Werden, at that), and has already demonstrated that he can use that position to mitigate the damage that he does - he can feed the occupied villages that the nobles left to starve, he can stop the rape gangs the orcs are accustomed to, and even in this failed gambit he still protects a heck of a lot more of the city than the Twins would have spared on their own. To say nothing of the fact that he prevented a doomed defense that would have gotten everyone in the city slaughtered, and his rapid advance after the destruction of the enemy's army in the field meant that they ultimately killed a fraction of the soldiers that a proper war would have, even with the tragedy that followed the battle.

So what kind of atrocity could Werden and Marianne possibly prevent that Rowan couldn't steer the Twins away from on more practical grounds, or sabotage himself if need be? One dire enough that it's worth condemning the continent to suffer Werden and Marianne's continued influence in the world? Especially since I doubt that the other routes are going to strip that level of agency from the player. I don't doubt that it will be easier to avoid a variety of unpleasant scenarios if they're there to work against the Twins - but I doubt that they'll be required. And if they're not required, than that's just taking a shortcut that's not worth the cost.

Second, regarding the point about Werden's leadership after the war, the man is old and ill, he still has the spirit to give it all in one more war, but I don't see him living to perpetuate his rigid ideals. And even then, I think that Rowan managed to get to him, even if just a little bit. Even if he is obsessed with order, by now I think he must be realizing an order ruled by a decadent nobility is unsustainable, I definitely expect him to lead the resistance with an iron fist and trim the fat with any nobility that doesn't recognize their duty to their people.
Perhaps this experience has softened him, but I didn't get that impression - at most, I think he'd be inclined to pardon Rowan before sending him back to the farm. But even if he goes beyond that and actually decides to finally acknowledge Rowan, that's not what the kingdom needs; it needs real, lasting reforms to ensure at least some social mobility. To ensure that dead weight like Raeve can sink, and that talented, ambitious individuals can at least dream of becoming the lesser nobility.

And I can certainly see him sidelining the ineffective and the scheming, but... I don't think he can do more than that, honestly. Because at the end of the day, he's still just the leader of a faction instead of a proper king, and he'd be burning his own influence with the nobility if he carried out the kind of purge that would be required; his is a "first amongst equals" kind of deal, and if he alienates his own allies (plenty of whom would be considered worthless and incompetent themselves), they'll simply stop following his orders and rally behind someone more to their tastes. And besides - even the incompetent have knights sworn to them and levies that would answer their call. If he offs them just because they routinely make terrible decisions, their men won't necessarily follow him, and he's ended up driving off a substantial part of the army he could otherwise raise.

But if he doesn't hang them, if he just strips them of their influence over the war while still leaving them alive... Then we end up in this same position again. Maybe not a day after the war ends, maybe not a month, but eventually they regain their power for the reason that they're powerful now; because they own fertile lands or rich mines, and can afford to support a sizable number of knights. Only King Werden, imbued with the power to strip them of those lands and give them to someone more deserving, could change that - but King Werden would be terrible for all sorts of other reasons. And even then, that only fixes this generation, not the next, or the one after that; once a line goes rotten, and they cease to teach their children that nobility comes with actual responsibilities instead of just privileges, it's nearly impossible to recover.

And as for the possibility of him dying... Well, his sons don't seem much better. One was ready to assaulted Delane for trying to persuade them to not get everyone killed, and in the other timeline, did waste the lives of their best knights on a futile charge. That doesn't speak to intelligence, or the ability to adapt to new circumstances.

Of course, faction leadership, unlike their titles, isn't hereditary; it's entirely possible that someone new inherits his coalition. But the prestige required to command that sort of respect almost demands that his successor be someone who built their name during this new war - and wouldn't he be entrusting command to someone who thinks similarly to him? He might not be choosing positions based on ideology, but it's unlikely that he'd trust people he frequently disagrees with. And like I said before; Rowan's high-profile betrayal will be sending a clear message to a lot of people that they shouldn't trust dirt generals.

Third, even if most likely Werden's resistance will be holed up in some mountainous duchy, that is still one less place the Twins' corruption will not touch, rather than them taking the entire kingdom unopposed.
While certainly, we do see the Twin's reign associated with some heinous things... Honestly, the Twins seem pretty preoccupied with what's right in front of them, and they don't particularly seem to care about carrying the banner of Chaos to any great extent. Outside of maintaining orc garrisons to avoid rebellion (with all the problems that a garrison of orcs no doubt brings, admittedly), does anything necessarily change in the outlying keeps and villages? Those small, tight-knit communities are undoubtedly going to stick to their traditions; it'll just ensure that those who don't fit in will move to the capital, now that they have a choice. It seems unlikely to me that they'd want anything but tribute from that duchy.

And further, this presupposes that the Twin's corruption is entirely malign, and that Solansia's influence is entirely benign - but we know that that duchy will be hosting a ton of corrupt nobles. Maybe they won't be living down to their worst caricatures, but given that they were already starving the peasants so that they could feast, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they duchy's food was all confiscated for the army's use, leaving all the peasants who actually lived there to die.

I think if nothing else, Werden's route should have more symbolic victories, even if those don't imediatelly add to more than what you can get from the other routes. I think something analogous to "the girl in red" from Schindler's list would work amazingly with the themes at play (as in, regardless of how well the sack goes, "she" would only not be there if Rowan did Werden's route).
I agree. If Werden's caravan had some section - any section - of the population that you actually wanted to see successfully escape the city, it would be a lot more palatable to me. Not that I can really think of any other group in particular that would be important to get out of the city entirely, instead of just to a safe zone. Priests, maybe, but we haven't been given much reason to be sympathetic to them.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
If you'll excuse a history diversion for a moment. One of the more fateful events in middle ages history is Salah Ad-Din's choice to free Guy de Lusignan, the king by marriage of Jerusalem, after his capture at Hattin.

Salah reasoned a freed enemy king was not a threat, because he had taken Jerusalem itself and essentially beheaded the kingdom.

But, we know this choice led to disaster. The still alive Guy rallied the surviving lords and knights of Jerusalem to his banner and laid seige to Acre. Salah tried to put down the army before they were reinforced, but Guy was still in the field when the king's of France and England arrived to reinforce Guy.

Of course, that is only relevant to part of the argument here. As for the rest, consider two questions.

1. Are the twins DONE after taking Rastedel?
2. Have the twins shown themselves the most benevolent of conquerors?

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
Addendum note: There is valuable feedback here, and I encourage the discussion to continue. As stated before, I don't intend for the present text of the plotline to remain set in stone.

Back

Aug 3, 2017
Since the implementation of the "Sacking of Rastedel" arc, I still haven't gotten around to it after all this time. I hear about it all the time and it sounds fascinating. I guess I'm just unlucky as I keep hitting various softlocks before then on different versions of the game. My last solid attempt was back several versions ago where I wasn't even able to complete the "Orc Encampment" arc (1) due to being weaponless (with no way to acquire a replacement weapon to properly initiate any of the plotlines).

(1) I have successfully completed this arc many times in past versions in various ways. When playing SoC, I don't save scum so when random things happen -- both good or bad -- I just roll with it. For that last attempt, I recall that Rowan lost his main weapon during a random event, and with the store system deactivated, I wasn't able to acquire a replacement weapon from the Cla-Clan nor was I able to trigger a random event that gave Rowan a weapon before giving up on that run.

My understanding is that the "store" is still offline. In addition and unless I misunderstood, many of Bloodmeen's upgrades are no longer working correctly in the latest releases as well. That's unfortunate. Eh, I'm sure the dev team will get on that. I mean, system-wise it's very important, but not as important as the story that's behind SoC that brings all sorts players into the game.

Oh, I did have a question though. I've heard that X'Zaratl (sp?) got lots of new content (in and out of scenes). As one of the players that doesn't like futa content, if Rowan and Alexia spurns her advances as before, will it continue to gate X'Zaratl's (non-sexual event / scenes) content as before? I've heard, but have few details, that the succubus is a lot more interesting and is less flat as a character. There are many minor, one-shot characters in the game so having something substantial for X'Zaratl who isn't supposed to be a background, throwaway character would be interesting. Those types of interactions with the residents of Bloodmeen (even if they're not sexual scenes) breathes more life into the game after all. It would be a shame if turning down the succubus's advances early on would completely remove further non-sexual encounters with the said character (or at least for now). X'Zaratl seems like a fascinating character, but I still wish to avoid any "dick girl" scenes on playthroughs of the game regardless.

Reactions: Carefree247

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
So, I'm going to be doing the whole "argue point-by-point" thing here, but I just want to be clear from the start; these are worthwhile points you raise, and I'm just pushing back to explain why I, personally, don't find them satisfying in the broader context.
Yeah I get that, no problem. Sometimes the things we pick apart the most are the things we could agree with in a different day.
As for the sacking, though - honestly, so long as there is a sack, and the nobles get to escape with their lives, their freedom, and "a few important heirlooms", how much you can mitigate it isn't really going to change my opinion. It's not the severity that irks me, but who suffers the consequences of the nobles having let things get to this point - the point where a couple of nobodies holed up in a wasteland manage to successfully conquer their kingdom. The people who worked for a living lost everything, while the people responsible get to play karma houdini.
I agree with you that from a "fairness" perspective, Werden's route is easily the worst. The only counter-argument is that sometimes justice comes at too steep of a cost, and not everyone will agree that in every situation a fairer distribution of the suffering is more important than the reduction of said suffering. But even under that rationale, it is hard to support Werden's route because, even if the game says a good ammount of the population was evacuated (and it doesn't help that the more culpable people are among those evacuated), the fact that Werden's route currently incurs the most brutal version of the sack doesn't really give the impression that it really spared more people from more suffering than a well executed Jacques route, where even if no one was evacuated, the sack was so heavily mitigated that it could have even resulted into less total suffering. Being able to mitigate the sack in Werden's route would at least give it some legs to stand on while now it basically has none.
But what will that mean in practice? Rowan is in a position of influence currently (a stronger position of influence if he chooses literally anyone but Werden, at that), and has already demonstrated that he can use that position to mitigate the damage that he does - he can feed the occupied villages that the nobles left to starve, he can stop the rape gangs the orcs are accustomed to, and even in this failed gambit he still protects a heck of a lot more of the city than the Twins would have spared on their own. To say nothing of the fact that he prevented a doomed defense that would have gotten everyone in the city slaughtered, and his rapid advance after the destruction of the enemy's army in the field meant that they ultimately killed a fraction of the soldiers that a proper war would have, even with the tragedy that followed the battle.
And Rowan has also demonstrated that his influence basically means nothing in the face of the whims of the Twins. Sure, Rowan came short from accomplishing in a few weeks the basically impossible task of getting a city like Rastedel to completely and unconditionally surrender to a demon army, but even if Rowan had somehow managed to do it, would that really have stopped them from sacking the city anyway? Much of their demeanor during the pre-sack leads me to believe they would have done it either way and were just looking for an excuse to do it, they were just playing with Rowan and feeding him false promises to see how much they could get out of him, as they have been doing for much of the game.

My point is that in the end Rowan's influence doesn't matter because there isn't a happy ending with the Twins in charge. Sure, it can help him mitigate the damage the Twins will do while they have power, but if for that he has to slowly take out every single person capable of opposing the Twins then he is dooming his own cause.
So what kind of atrocity could Werden and Marianne possibly prevent that Rowan couldn't steer the Twins away from on more practical grounds, or sabotage himself if need be? One dire enough that it's worth condemning the continent to suffer Werden and Marianne's continued influence in the world? Especially since I doubt that the other routes are going to strip that level of agency from the player. I don't doubt that it will be easier to avoid a variety of unpleasant scenarios if they're there to work against the Twins - but I doubt that they'll be required. And if they're not required, than that's just taking a shortcut that's not worth the cost.
I raised this exact same concern in the past, jokingly said they would have to straight up prevent a "rape of Nanking" type event for it to be worthwhile. But yeah, on a meta level we know that's extremely unlikely because it would imply every single other route has to suffer something even more fucked up than the worst possible Rastedel sack, and I'm not sure that would even be a good decision by the devs since a lot of the fandom are more interested in the "fun evil" fantasy rather than a "disturbingly cruel and depressively bleak" scenario.

Unfortunately the same argument applies to the idea that maybe Werden and Marianne could be essential to defeat the Twins, we know this is a videogame and victory is still possible even without them because this game has other routes. Devs could pull some bullshit like if Werden stays alive you don't have to sacrifice a more likable character later into the story, but again if that character is really likable and they die in every route but Werden's route, I feel that's just gonna piss everyone else off in the attempt to arbitrarly validate that one route everybody agreed was a bad idea.

Also from a technical perspective, we know the devs are probably not gonna make a whole different game just for Werden's route, so it would kinda suck if their future benefits felt too "momentaneous", imagine having to wait until the climax of Chapter 2 to get any gratification from having chosen Werden's route. Ideally I think Werden's resistance should give Rowan a continous stream of benefits throughout act 2 as he takes a more active role in saboutaging the Twins, their holdings become an evacuation route for refugees, they keep the forces of the Twins preoccupied (so they can't just go around pillaging the countryside), etc. But that might be too much work for a single odd route.
Perhaps this experience has softened him, but I didn't get that impression - at most, I think he'd be inclined to pardon Rowan before sending him back to the farm. But even if he goes beyond that and actually decides to finally acknowledge Rowan, that's not what the kingdom needs; it needs real, lasting reforms to ensure at least some social mobility. To ensure that dead weight like Raeve can sink, and that talented, ambitious individuals can at least dream of becoming the lesser nobility.

And I can certainly see him sidelining the ineffective and the scheming, but... I don't think he can do more than that, honestly. Because at the end of the day, he's still just the leader of a faction instead of a proper king, and he'd be burning his own influence with the nobility if he carried out the kind of purge that would be required; his is a "first amongst equals" kind of deal, and if he alienates his own allies (plenty of whom would be considered worthless and incompetent themselves), they'll simply stop following his orders and rally behind someone more to their tastes. And besides - even the incompetent have knights sworn to them and levies that would answer their call. If he offs them just because they routinely make terrible decisions, their men won't necessarily follow him, and he's ended up driving off a substantial part of the army he could otherwise raise.

But if he doesn't hang them, if he just strips them of their influence over the war while still leaving them alive... Then we end up in this same position again. Maybe not a day after the war ends, maybe not a month, but eventually they regain their power for the reason that they're powerful now; because they own fertile lands or rich mines, and can afford to support a sizable number of knights. Only King Werden, imbued with the power to strip them of those lands and give them to someone more deserving, could change that - but King Werden would be terrible for all sorts of other reasons. And even then, that only fixes this generation, not the next, or the one after that; once a line goes rotten, and they cease to teach their children that nobility comes with actual responsibilities instead of just privileges, it's nearly impossible to recover.
Lets not forget that Werden was already planning the coup before Rowan showed up, Werden is obsessed with Solansia's Order as a concept, he is not fond of the state of the current nobility. Sure, if Rowan never showed up and he succeeded at his coup, he would probably only have changed the Baron and at most done some very minor anti-corruption reforms, but now that it is clear it is gonna be war time again, he is probably gonna be much less tolerant with decadent nobles.

And I do believe Werden has the power to whip the remaining nobility into whatever he wants, he is the military guy of a kingdom that just woke up to an all-out demon invasion, the soft nobles are scared shitless and they are gonna flock towards whoever has the biggest army and the spine to be a leader, Werden being the only one that matches the description. Trying to oust him would be suicide as that would leave a fractured nobility having to fend for themselves against the Twins, they may not like him but I can see most of the nobles swearing their forces to Werden, even if it ends up with him putting them in the sidelines (not consulting them or only dealing with the more competent members of their families). I expect him to be able to be basically a dictator with his resistance.

Of course that like you said, he wouldn't really be able to go around executing people left and right, and neither should he probably. At most he could probably change the heads of the families and keep things right for a generation or two and even that much wouldn't solve the systemical issues of hereditary inheritance. But that doesn't nullify the merits of opposing the Twins' cruelty and the chaotic world they would create.
And as for the possibility of him dying... Well, his sons don't seem much better. One was ready to assaulted Delane for trying to persuade them to not get everyone killed, and in the other timeline, did waste the lives of their best knights on a futile charge. That doesn't speak to intelligence, or the ability to adapt to new circumstances.

Of course, faction leadership, unlike their titles, isn't hereditary; it's entirely possible that someone new inherits his coalition. But the prestige required to command that sort of respect almost demands that his successor be someone who built their name during this new war - and wouldn't he be entrusting command to someone who thinks similarly to him? He might not be choosing positions based on ideology, but it's unlikely that he'd trust people he frequently disagrees with. And like I said before; Rowan's high-profile betrayal will be sending a clear message to a lot of people that they shouldn't trust dirt generals.
Yeah, meaningful change from Werden's part would require him being willing to admit his son is not the best and most reasonable leader, which does require a lot of optimism regarding Werden's possible character growth. But lets keep in mind that Rowan's betrayal is not yet common knowledge, nor would I expect it to become anytime soon, I think Werden will try to keep Rowan's involvement with the Twins a secret for the time being and he only promised to hold Rowan accountable after it was all done, which I don't really think is a promise he will live up to.
While certainly, we do see the Twin's reign associated with some heinous things... Honestly, the Twins seem pretty preoccupied with what's right in front of them, and they don't particularly seem to care about carrying the banner of Chaos to any great extent. Outside of maintaining orc garrisons to avoid rebellion (with all the problems that a garrison of orcs no doubt brings, admittedly), does anything necessarily change in the outlying keeps and villages? Those small, tight-knit communities are undoubtedly going to stick to their traditions; it'll just ensure that those who don't fit in will move to the capital, now that they have a choice. It seems unlikely to me that they'd want anything but tribute from that duchy.
The Twins may not have the time or disposition to ravage every single village in the kingdom, but like you said they still host orc bands and demons that follow the culture of chaos, what do you think is gonna happen when the demonic tax collector rolls around and takes a liking to the elder's daughter? Or when an orc unit needs to spend the night in one of the villages to resupply on their route to somewhere else? Of course you could make the argument that corrupt soldiers could do the same regardless of what they believe in, but in general at least followers of Solansia would have such behavior reproached, while followers of Kairos might see it as only right for the strong to take from the weak.
And further, this presupposes that the Twin's corruption is entirely malign, and that Solansia's influence is entirely benign - but we know that that duchy will be hosting a ton of corrupt nobles. Maybe they won't be living down to their worst caricatures, but given that they were already starving the peasants so that they could feast, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they duchy's food was all confiscated for the army's use, leaving all the peasants who actually lived there to die.
I think one of the main dilemmas of the game is presented as the choice between the organizational benefits of a predetermined order versus the improvement of individuals in a meritocratic system. I think this choice depends a lot on the personal beliefs of each person and I personally lean more towards the first, but I need to make an argument here against the "Might makes right" system the game displays: it does not work.

We already see it several times throughout the game, when Rowan makes deals to help weaker individuals in exchange of favors, or promotes undeserving underlings for their loyalty rather than their talents, or fixes fights to ensure his preferred option wins. "Might makes right" does not lead to a truly meritocratic system because it never measures just your talents on the task you need to accomplish, but rather it puts more emphasis on your ability to screw over your competition. This only leads to a society that focuses on saboutage and distrust, which would inherently grow more and more self-destructive without really improving individuals in constructive ways.

Of course the negatives of a completely stationary order with no accountability are already well shown in the game, with the presence of a decadent nobility that weakens the whole kingdom. Both extremes are terrible, but somewhere in between, with the alternatives the game presents, I lean more towards the "Order" side.

Ideally one could ponder ways of "beating" either system, what if in a stable order the ruling class was mindwashed into having to do their best for their subjects, instilling into them permanent psychological accountability they could not escape. Or in a "might makes right" system, there was an almighty capable of creating unbreakable rules that kept all competitions "clean".
I agree. If Werden's caravan had some section - any section - of the population that you actually wanted to see successfully escape the city, it would be a lot more palatable to me. Not that I can really think of any other group in particular that would be important to get out of the city entirely, instead of just to a safe zone. Priests, maybe, but we haven't been given much reason to be sympathetic to them.
Being honest, in a completely humanitarian sense, I think there are few people I wouldn't want to successfully escape the city. Even if there are safe zones that manage to last through the sack, I doubt life is about to get any better for the citizens of Rastedel for a long time, we have seen nothing to show that demons and orcs are any kinder as rulers than conquerors. But it would be nice to have better symbols of Werden's evacuation meaning something.

Jan 10, 2018
1. Are the twins DONE after taking Rastedel?
2. Have the twins shown themselves the most benevolent of conquerors?
Of course, Marianne is a powerful individual who can greatly enhance any force she's part of, and Werden appears to be one of the few competent generals employed by the Six Realms. Well, Five Realms now. I don't doubt their ability to make military contributions. But...

For the first question, does everything end when peace is restored? Do the famines end? Are the dead peasants resurrected? The burnt villages rebuilt, the sacked manors refurnished? There's going to be a long reconstruction period, both for the pre-existing problems and the new ones the Twins built. And when that happens, who is Werden going to favor? The nobles who he relies on support, and who are at the head of Solansia's Order? Or the peasants, who are the ones who can barely survive the remaining season and need immediate aid? And even if he isn't cruel and short-sighted enough to stiff them, can the same be said for every noble at his side, who he relies on to carry out his suggestions for how to handle their own territory? Because they didn't exactly make a great impression back in Rastadel.

And, for that matter... Does the Kingdom's own wishes even matter after this? Because it was already deep under Prothea's influence before this - and now, Prothean troops are going to be at the front of retaking it. The food and supplies to rebuild probably aren't going to be locally sourced either. After something like this, will they be able to maintain even the fiction of independence, or will the decisions made on the ground instead be made in some far-flung court that's more preoccupied with their own problems? Even for rebels with the best of intentions, such arrangements don't tend to work out well for the freedom fighters. At worst, the puppet regime ends up with all the aid going to prop up their own power while their chosen favorites live a life of luxury, and the rubble never gets rebuilt at all.

None of this is worth it if things just go back to the way they were before Rowan left his cell - if that happens, he's just a coward who should have chosen a more dignified death. He can't just ensure the Twins lose, because the Twins would have lost already without him. He has to make sure that the right people win as well, and that means someone who understand that there were more flaws to the old system than "peasants rising above their station".

And as for the Twin's benevolence... Are the Twins immortal? Unbeatable? Is suffering them for a year or five that much worse than a tyrannical or incompetent king from years years past? I mean, I could easily picture Andras ordering one out of every five villages razed in response to a peasant insurrection - but truly, the Twins really do seem preoccupied with what's right in front of them. This isn't an assault from an army of Skordreds, intent on remaking the world - it's an army "lead" by people interested in their own amusement and self-aggrandizement, who see this as a sort of game that lets them demand everyone kneel before them. Andras might be a butcher who kills half the people he wanders across, but that's a problem for the capital - everyone outside his eyesight will likely be fine. Jezera might demand that every pretty boy and girl in the kingdom be brought to her for inspection, but it amounts to a petty distraction at most; she loses interest in her toys quickly, and she leaves them in good enough condition that they can still work afterwards.

And if this was them "playing nice", if they were only holding back enough to get a single, semi-functioning country before demanding that everything past it be burnt... Well, frankly, the Twins are still in a terrible position without him. Their army of orcs are the remnants from the last army to try this "conquer the world" shtick, and were already being harried to destruction by Prothea already when you found them. Daenara was described as an army of her own, and is still out there, as are the other armies. And the Twins have lost the advantage of surprise - the other kingdoms are going to switch to a war footing now.

If the Twins aren't willing to be "reasonable", to stick to things that are appalling-but-not-quite-past-Rowan's-line, then he can simply quit, and those atrocities will be prevented as his side falls apart without him. And yeah, they'll kill him for it, possibly Alexia as well. But they'll still lose. He doesn't need to empower people like Werden to make that happen.

And Rowan has also demonstrated that his influence basically means nothing in the face of the whims of the Twins. Sure, Rowan came short from accomplishing in a few weeks the basically impossible task of getting a city like Rastedel to completely and unconditionally surrender to a demon army, but even if Rowan had somehow managed to do it, would that really have stopped them from sacking the city anyway? Much of their demeanor during the pre-sack leads me to believe they would have done it either way and were just looking for an excuse to do it, they were just playing with Rowan and feeding him false promises to see how much they could get out of him, as they have been doing for much of the game.

My point is that in the end Rowan's influence doesn't matter because there isn't a happy ending with the Twins in charge. Sure, it can help him mitigate the damage the Twins will do while they have power, but if for that he has to slowly take out every single person capable of opposing the Twins then he is dooming his own cause.
Historically speaking, taking the city without sacking it was probably a fantasy to begin with. As much as Rowan rages, prior to the modern era, this was just how things were done; sacking "only" half the city would have been kinder than anyone would have expected (and one reason I'm glad to be living in the modern era, even if I think social media is going to get us all killed).

He might have lost sight of this in the moment, but what he really wanted was for Rastadel to be taken mostly intact - and that's what he got (ironically, the most damage done was probably at the hands of the fire he set). The people who didn't want to fight to the bitter end appear to have made it to safe zones, and the tools necessary to keep the city running weren't outright destroyed. Did it look as pretty as he had hoped? No, obviously not. This is still an army of demons and orcs taking a major human settlement. But for all his PTSD, he still saved a hell of a lot of people doing it this way.

And, sack aside, what comes after the sack? Are the Twins really in charge of the city now? Or did they hand things off to a human governor (handpicked by Rowan, no less, if he doesn't go with Werden) who lacks their particular tastes and need merely ensure that the quotas are met and the rebels are cowed? Because it looks like they're still going to be reigning from Bloodmeen, and from Jezera's dismissive comments regarding governors, don't really care how the city is run. If the twins are going to be like a hurricane, tearing up a region before blowing past, that might not even be the worst of things - it tears apart the old order, lets Rowan set a framework for a new one, and leaves it to its own devices while a new shiny object catches the Twins eye.

Of course, it's probably not going to be that clean. They probably are going to make new demands of the city that Rowan will be loathe to grant. But how much Rastadel and the other occupied territories suffer is probably going to come down to how well he can manage the Twins - and that, in turn, is easier if they don't treat everything he says as a plot because he let Werden go.

But, that aside, this also presupposes that the Twins stay in charge - but Rowan has recruited plenty of people who are personally loyal to him, and only to the Twins by extension. If he so chooses, he does have the tools he needs to launch an internal rebellion, one that would doom the Twins cause - he's not yet in a position where he could take over with any hope of defeating the humans as well, but he can certainly ensure the Twins lose without relying on Werden.

I raised this exact same concern in the past, jokingly said they would have to straight up prevent a "rape of Nanking" type event for it to be worthwhile. But yeah, on a meta level we know that's extremely unlikely because it would imply every single other route has to suffer something even more fucked up than the worst possible Rastedel sack, and I'm not sure that would even be a good decision by the devs since a lot of the fandom are more interested in the "fun evil" fantasy rather than a "disturbingly cruel and depressively bleak" scenario.

Unfortunately the same argument applies to the idea that maybe Werden and Marianne could be essential to defeat the Twins, we know this is a videogame and victory is still possible even without them because this game has other routes. Devs could pull some bullshit like if Werden stays alive you don't have to sacrifice a more likable character later into the story, but again if that character is really likable and they die in every route but Werden's route, I feel that's just gonna piss everyone else off in the attempt to arbitrarly validate that one route everybody agreed was a bad idea.
Personally, I don't mind the idea of another scene like the destruction of the army that could be prevented if you sided with Werden, and think it could enhance the narrative. But, like you say, that would make it more a bright spot on an otherwise doomed timeline in my eyes. In terms of things that might otherwise give me pause... Maybe the Dark Elves demanding the genocide of the Elves as terms for an alliance insisted upon by Jezera? Maybe?

A likable character surviving on Werden's route while dying on others sounds perfectly reasonable to me, though. That tends to be a good vehicle for conveying tragedy (an important element of this story), and it's a tool that's already been used; I like both Jacques and Patricia, but one of them will always die.

Also from a technical perspective, we know the devs are probably not gonna make a whole different game just for Werden's route, so it would kinda suck if their future benefits felt too "momentaneous", imagine having to wait until the climax of Chapter 2 to get any gratification from having chosen Werden's route. Ideally I think Werden's resistance should give Rowan a continous stream of benefits throughout act 2 as he takes a more active role in saboutaging the Twins, their holdings become an evacuation route for refugees, they keep the forces of the Twins preoccupied (so they can't just go around pillaging the countryside), etc. But that might be too much work for a single odd route.
On the one hand, the idea of continuous benefits sounds good to me, but on the other... It strikes me that it would be easy for this to become an "informed attribute" at best, and outright counterproductive at worst. I mean, what does that continuous stream look like in terms of mechanics? Lowered thresholds for certain checks, maybe? But that's something that could easily be overlooked.

But it's pretty easy to imagine why this prolonged war would involve a lot more dead orcs on your part (mechanically, lowered recruitment numbers), depopulated villages (lower gold income), and a host of war-related expenses (higher upkeep). And it's still your army taking the brunt of this. But hamstringing your own success doesn't really sound like a fun game, so... I don't know how to make this fun, mechanically coherent, and continuous. Narratively speaking, "only shows up at key moments" sounds like the better way to go.

Lets not forget that Werden was already planning the coup before Rowan showed up, Werden is obsessed with Solansia's Order as a concept, he is not fond of the state of the current nobility. Sure, if Rowan never showed up and he succeeded at his coup, he would probably only have changed the Baron and at most done some very minor anti-corruption reforms, but now that it is clear it is gonna be war time again, he is probably gonna be much less tolerant with decadent nobles.
Just as a point of order, though - it was still "his" nobles who feasted at multiple points during Rastadel's plotline in the middle of a famine, and who offered up a lot of stupid ideas when things started going wrong (admittedly, while they were panicking). To say nothing of the fact that Raeve was amongst his men.

He might believe they need to be better, but he certainly seems more compromising on this point than he is with the peasants.

And I do believe Werden has the power to whip the remaining nobility into whatever he wants, he is the military guy of a kingdom that just woke up to an all-out demon invasion, the soft nobles are scared shitless and they are gonna flock towards whoever has the biggest army and the spine to be a leader, Werden being the only one that matches the description. Trying to oust him would be suicide as that would leave a fractured nobility having to fend for themselves against the Twins, they may not like him but I can see most of the nobles swearing their forces to Werden, even if it ends up with him putting them in the sidelines (not consulting them or only dealing with the more competent members of their families). I expect him to be able to be basically a dictator with his resistance.

Of course that like you said, he wouldn't really be able to go around executing people left and right, and neither should he probably. At most he could probably change the heads of the families and keep things right for a generation or two and even that much wouldn't solve the systemical issues of hereditary inheritance. But that doesn't nullify the merits of opposing the Twins' cruelty and the chaotic world they would create.
I just don't see those measures holding after wartime unless he redistributes the actual land, the basis of feudal power. And I just don't see the other nobles accepting that level of power over them - it's something they'd hold dearer than their own lives, as it's the core of what makes their families important. Even they don't care about themselves, they still care about their families.

A rotten peace is worse than a chaotic world, because a chaotic world will always stabilize with time (at least when we're talking about humans); absent external intervention, someone eventually crawls the to the top of the ashes, and forces everyone else into line. It may be costly, it may be painful, and the new peace may be a bitter one, but a new society always rises from the old - humans are fundamentally social creatures who don't enjoy killing each other all the time. The only question is whether the pain is worth it, and from the glimpse we got at the capital, it certainly looks worth it now.

Of course, it would obviously be better to minimize the pain and chaos that replacing the old order would entail. Which is why it's important that Rowan make things as clean as possible, something that a campaign of active resistance from Werden would seem to work against.

Yeah, meaningful change from Werden's part would require him being willing to admit his son is not the best and most reasonable leader, which does require a lot of optimism regarding Werden's possible character growth. But lets keep in mind that Rowan's betrayal is not yet common knowledge, nor would I expect it to become anytime soon, I think Werden will try to keep Rowan's involvement with the Twins a secret for the time being and he only promised to hold Rowan accountable after it was all done, which I don't really think is a promise he will live up to.
I think the cat's out of the bag at this point. Even if Werden was inclined to keep his mouth shut, every noble at the lodge saw him accuse Rowan and lock him up - and even if his camp doesn't talk, there were plenty of people who saw him at the sack, and at the following festivities. It would be extremely strange if they were able to keep the person running things anonymous now that they've taken a city of Rastadel's size.

The Twins may not have the time or disposition to ravage every single village in the kingdom, but like you said they still host orc bands and demons that follow the culture of chaos, what do you think is gonna happen when the demonic tax collector rolls around and takes a liking to the elder's daughter? Or when an orc unit needs to spend the night in one of the villages to resupply on their route to somewhere else? Of course you could make the argument that corrupt soldiers could do the same regardless of what they believe in, but in general at least followers of Solansia would have such behavior reproached, while followers of Kairos might see it as only right for the strong to take from the weak.
I'm thinking more of the long-term consequences here than the short-term tragedies. Essentially; will the Twin's influence fundamentally change these communities, or simply subject them to temporary suffering? When the Twins die or are defeated, will these villages have internalized anything from being ruled by Chaos, or will it have been no different than having a particularly cruel lord for a generation?

If there's no fundamental transformation, then whether the mountain duchy holds out or not makes little difference outside of the strategic considerations - they're going be suffering from the war either way. If rule by the Twins did cause them to break more permanently from Solansia's orders, then keeping them from that would present a more meaningful distinction.

I think one of the main dilemmas of the game is presented as the choice between the organizational benefits of a predetermined order versus the improvement of individuals in a meritocratic system. I think this choice depends a lot on the personal beliefs of each person and I personally lean more towards the first, but I need to make an argument here against the "Might makes right" system the game displays: it does not work.

We already see it several times throughout the game, when Rowan makes deals to help weaker individuals in exchange of favors, or promotes undeserving underlings for their loyalty rather than their talents, or fixes fights to ensure his preferred option wins. "Might makes right" does not lead to a truly meritocratic system because it never measures just your talents on the task you need to accomplish, but rather it puts more emphasis on your ability to screw over your competition. This only leads to a society that focuses on saboutage and distrust, which would inherently grow more and more self-destructive without really improving individuals in constructive ways.

Of course the negatives of a completely stationary order with no accountability are already well shown in the game, with the presence of a decadent nobility that weakens the whole kingdom. Both extremes are terrible, but somewhere in between, with the alternatives the game presents, I lean more towards the "Order" side.

Ideally one could ponder ways of "beating" either system, what if in a stable order the ruling class was mindwashed into having to do their best for their subjects, instilling into them permanent psychological accountability they could not escape. Or in a "might makes right" system, there was an almighty capable of creating unbreakable rules that kept all competitions "clean".
One complication here is that nobody in the game (other than Skordred and some orcs) truly follows or cares about "Might Makes Right" - Rowan certainly doesn't, and he's the one running things. The Twins were inclined to cast it aside. Some characters in the game do advocate for it, but always defer back to Rowan because, well, he's the warlord here, and he's actively managing things.

"Might Makes Right" may be their justification, but what it becomes in practice is making cases to Rowan, who chooses based on what he thinks is best. This doesn't differ significantly from an absolute monarchy; the only difference is that Rowan rules by right of continued success, and everyone is free to appeal to him without needing a noble title to back them up.

Of course, it'd completely fall apart after the death of Rowan and the Twins, as a power struggle tears things apart in the absence of a single clear successor, but... Well, that gets back to the part where they don't really follow "Might Makes Right" - if the game went on long enough, they'd certainly ensure that there was an heir competent enough to claim things on their own merit.

Being honest, in a completely humanitarian sense, I think there are few people I wouldn't want to successfully escape the city. Even if there are safe zones that manage to last through the sack, I doubt life is about to get any better for the citizens of Rastedel for a long time, we have seen nothing to show that demons and orcs are any kinder as rulers than conquerors. But it would be nice to have better symbols of Werden's evacuation meaning something.
I disagree, personally; life as a refugee in that situation would be horrible. They'd literally have nothing but the clothes on their back, be weakened from the long march out of the kingdom, and almost certainly lack any useful skills (a craftsman without their tools isn't much of a craftsman, and they'd be trying to break into an established market without any capital). Most of them would die; those that don't, would be surviving on charity that can't deal with the number of victims.

And this is setting aside the fact that they would be treated with scorn and suspicion by the people they fled to; a country will pat itself on the back for accepting a handful of refugees, but once there are enough that it takes actual effort to do the right thing, they start to resent them and look for excuses to force them along. This is before the rumors start spreading about spies and shapeshifters hiding amongst the refugees, waiting to take down the kingdom by surprise like they took down Rosaria.

Meanwhile, those that stayed... Well, I wouldn't expect it to go well for them, necessarily. But I expect that they'll have homes and food, and that jobs (real jobs, not slave jobs) will soon be arranged for everyone as soon as they work out how much economic capacity was burnt out of the place. And as time goes on, things will go back to relative normal as routines resume, people adapt to their new neighbors, and the Twins learn how much they can play with the city before it starts causing them more problems than fun. As for where things go from there... Well, that depends on the war, I suppose.

Last edited:

sexypeanut

Jun 30, 2020
Just played the game.

It's an interesting twist to play (under) the evil side. In the beginning, I thought Rowan would right away start an undercover resistance. As you play, it seems he gets more comfortable with what he's doing.
I like the script - the Twins, but especially the girl, are more than meets the eye. They're not simple 'Saturday morning cartoon' villains, but well-thought characters with plans. Playing as Rowan, you feel the practical impotence of trying to work against them. That kind of mental oppression will certainly take a toll on him, Alexia and others.
It's great to see other races and to possibly fuck them (the blonde elf! So nice).
This will certainly be on my watch list!

Now, on what I didn't like too much:
1. The art style difference. The characters look like X during normal scenes but, in the sexy ones, they are drawn pretty differently. This diminishes the immersion a bit. The sorcerer looks like 3 different people during the gameplay...
1a. Halayna (the pink-haired girl with Aerith vibes) has a too large forehead, doesn't she? It's a bit unnerving.
2. No way to repeat/rewatch scenes. I hope this will be implemented soon.
3. You cannot visit the upgrades you build, except in random events. This is pretty limiting! I was expecting to visit the brothel and have scenes with the new character there.
4. Your inventory and skills never change. There's nothing to buy or sell, nor ways to increase - or even use! - the skills.
5. The lack of a minimap. After your first weeks, the surroundings of the castle are explored and you have to move further to explore. After the random event at the end of the week, you already forgot where did you explore previously and spend time going to places you've already been.
6. I can visit the female Twin, but there's nothing there to do.
7. Some scenes have no art, like the half-elf in the mine and Alexia rewarding you.

And two personal requests:
a. I want more sexy scenes with the sorcerer! Dunno if it's possible, but having her mellowing a bit? She's quite the sociopath right now :p
b. The game warning you that Alexia's path with a chosen job won't go further. I've had the game repeat the 'control three elements at the same time' repeat thrice...

---

Finally, a plea for help: I'm at the 50th week and I have absolutely no idea how to bring a new race to the alliance. how do you do it?

Last edited:

Jan 10, 2018
Finally, a plea for help: I'm at the 50th week and I have absolutely no idea how to bring a new race to the alliance. how do you do it?
50th week? Cutting things a bit close, I see, but still doable...

There's an orc camp in the upper left of the map, just past the abbey; you're going to have to settle their leadership struggle, which is centered around a captured noblewoman. After introducing yourself to the rival powers, explore the camp to find her cage; from there, you have three choices.

Persuade her to accept Ulcro, which will require gifts (you can get some from Jezera and Clionha, as well as having Ulcro raid a bit) to improve her circumstances and a couple of conversations ruminating on all of the power she'd have at her fingertips.

Mindbreak her with a succubi and give her to Batri, as well as raid frequently to improve his prestige in camp, and have Greyhide make him some new weapons.

Earn her trust, and talk her into escaping - either honestly, which will cause a major disaster that will end with an angry Tarish in charge, or as part of a trap to kill both leaders and put a grateful Tarish in charge. I'm pretty sure this also requires some preparations as well, but I'm not familiar with them since neither option is my cup of tea.

With a bit of luck, you should be able to do it in about five weeks? Do save first, though; visiting Delane involves a skill check, and you don't want to end up with a game over on week 60 because you failed it too many times.

Reactions: sexypeanut

Rein

Game Developer
May 8, 2017
As one of the players that doesn't like futa content, if Rowan and Alexia spurns her advances as before, will it continue to gate X'Zaratl's (non-sexual event / scenes) content as before?
X'zaratl being your BFF (even if you don't know it yet), understands that her futa cock might be a little weird at first, so she doesn't hold it against you if you don't jump on it straight away.

To answer your questions - generally speaking refusing X'zaratl won't block her nonsexual scenes. She also has scenes where her futanari cock isn't a focus of (Look: Virility Treatment), but in general, people who pursue a sexual relionship with her should get accustomed to seeing X'zaratl wanting to use said futa dick on someone.

Last edited:

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
None of this is worth it if things just go back to the way they were before Rowan left his cell - if that happens, he's just a coward who should have chosen a more dignified death. He can't just ensure the Twins lose, because the Twins would have lost already without him. He has to make sure that the right people win as well, and that means someone who understand that there were more flaws to the old system than "peasants rising above their station".

And as for the Twin's benevolence... Are the Twins immortal? Unbeatable? Is suffering them for a year or five that much worse than a tyrannical or incompetent king from years years past? I mean, I could easily picture Andras ordering one out of every five villages razed in response to a peasant insurrection - but truly, the Twins really do seem preoccupied with what's right in front of them. This isn't an assault from an army of Skordreds, intent on remaking the world - it's an army "lead" by people interested in their own amusement and self-aggrandizement, who see this as a sort of game that lets them demand everyone kneel before them. Andras might be a butcher who kills half the people he wanders across, but that's a problem for the capital - everyone outside his eyesight will likely be fine. Jezera might demand that every pretty boy and girl in the kingdom be brought to her for inspection, but it amounts to a petty distraction at most; she loses interest in her toys quickly, and she leaves them in good enough condition that they can still work afterwards.

And if this was them "playing nice", if they were only holding back enough to get a single, semi-functioning country before demanding that everything past it be burnt... Well, frankly, the Twins are still in a terrible position without him. Their army of orcs are the remnants from the last army to try this "conquer the world" shtick, and were already being harried to destruction by Prothea already when you found them. Daenara was described as an army of her own, and is still out there, as are the other armies. And the Twins have lost the advantage of surprise - the other kingdoms are going to switch to a war footing now.

If the Twins aren't willing to be "reasonable", to stick to things that are appalling-but-not-quite-past-Rowan's-line, then he can simply quit, and those atrocities will be prevented as his side falls apart without him. And yeah, they'll kill him for it, possibly Alexia as well. But they'll still lose. He doesn't need to empower people like Werden to make that happen.
I do not think it is quite correct to assume the Twins would have already failed without him, I think it is a safe bet to say everything up to Raeve's keep would have gone exactly the same and it was much more about them testing Rowan as an agent rather than needing him as one. Even after that I'd say things would have gone similarly, the orcs would have been recruited, the Rastedel army heading towards Raeve's keep would have still been sniped, it would just probably not have been quite as clean. Same even for the actual conquest of Rastedel, Jezera had agents in the city long before Rowan step foot in it, without Rowan maybe they don't manipulate the coup into happening at such a perfect timing, but they would have still had the forces to conquer the city.

Being able to protect Alexia and mitigating the Twins' damage have been Rowan's personal justifications from day 1, but it only really works because of the assumption that he couldn't have really stopped any of what they have done up to this point, which I do think is true. But at some point Rowan's impact as an asset will stop being about just making things easier for the Twins and will start being about actually enabling them to achieve things they wouldn't be able to without him, and I think that starts with Rowan eliminating capable opposition. The question becomes about for how long Rowan can justify what he's doing as being the lesser evil.

Of course this goes back to the meta-level discussion that this is a videogame and we know Werden and Marianne won't be as critical as that, but narratively speaking, the idea that making sure Werden and Marianne die pathetically without being able to lift as much as a finger against the Twins was the first real thing they maybe wouldn't have been able to do without Rowan is a little interesting.
Just as a point of order, though - it was still "his" nobles who feasted at multiple points during Rastadel's plotline in the middle of a famine, and who offered up a lot of stupid ideas when things started going wrong (admittedly, while they were panicking). To say nothing of the fact that Raeve was amongst his men.

He might believe they need to be better, but he certainly seems more compromising on this point than he is with the peasants.

I just don't see those measures holding after wartime unless he redistributes the actual land, the basis of feudal power. And I just don't see the other nobles accepting that level of power over them - it's something they'd hold dearer than their own lives, as it's the core of what makes their families important. Even they don't care about themselves, they still care about their families.
My impression is that Werden is uncompromising with the notion that peasants shouldn't challenge nobles because he prizes the maintenance of order above all else, not because he is particularly more cruel or demanding with the peasants in an individual level. This doesn't help much during peace times where the peasants are the only ones suffering and Werden needs to negotiate for the support of the nobility, but I do expect better from his leadership during war times.

Of course that might not mean much for you since you are mostly focused on meaningful lasting transformations when it comes to the results of the game, but I never really thought that far ahead when trying to come up with merits for Werden's route, just them being able to keep the kingdom from being quite as destroyed during the war is as far of a reach as I could picture.
Historically speaking, taking the city without sacking it was probably a fantasy to begin with. As much as Rowan rages, prior to the modern era, this was just how things were done; sacking "only" half the city would have been kinder than anyone would have expected (and one reason I'm glad to be living in the modern era, even if I think social media is going to get us all killed).

He might have lost sight of this in the moment, but what he really wanted was for Rastadel to be taken mostly intact - and that's what he got (ironically, the most damage done was probably at the hands of the fire he set). The people who didn't want to fight to the bitter end appear to have made it to safe zones, and the tools necessary to keep the city running weren't outright destroyed. Did it look as pretty as he had hoped? No, obviously not. This is still an army of demons and orcs taking a major human settlement. But for all his PTSD, he still saved a hell of a lot of people doing it this way.

And, sack aside, what comes after the sack? Are the Twins really in charge of the city now? Or did they hand things off to a human governor (handpicked by Rowan, no less, if he doesn't go with Werden) who lacks their particular tastes and need merely ensure that the quotas are met and the rebels are cowed? Because it looks like they're still going to be reigning from Bloodmeen, and from Jezera's dismissive comments regarding governors, don't really care how the city is run. If the twins are going to be like a hurricane, tearing up a region before blowing past, that might not even be the worst of things - it tears apart the old order, lets Rowan set a framework for a new one, and leaves it to its own devices while a new shiny object catches the Twins eye.

Of course, it's probably not going to be that clean. They probably are going to make new demands of the city that Rowan will be loathe to grant. But how much Rastadel and the other occupied territories suffer is probably going to come down to how well he can manage the Twins - and that, in turn, is easier if they don't treat everything he says as a plot because he let Werden go.

But, that aside, this also presupposes that the Twins stay in charge - but Rowan has recruited plenty of people who are personally loyal to him, and only to the Twins by extension. If he so chooses, he does have the tools he needs to launch an internal rebellion, one that would doom the Twins cause - he's not yet in a position where he could take over with any hope of defeating the humans as well, but he can certainly ensure the Twins lose without relying on Werden.

A rotten peace is worse than a chaotic world, because a chaotic world will always stabilize with time (at least when we're talking about humans); absent external intervention, someone eventually crawls the to the top of the ashes, and forces everyone else into line. It may be costly, it may be painful, and the new peace may be a bitter one, but a new society always rises from the old - humans are fundamentally social creatures who don't enjoy killing each other all the time. The only question is whether the pain is worth it, and from the glimpse we got at the capital, it certainly looks worth it now.

Of course, it would obviously be better to minimize the pain and chaos that replacing the old order would entail. Which is why it's important that Rowan make things as clean as possible, something that a campaign of active resistance from Werden would seem to work against.

I'm thinking more of the long-term consequences here than the short-term tragedies. Essentially; will the Twin's influence fundamentally change these communities, or simply subject them to temporary suffering? When the Twins die or are defeated, will these villages have internalized anything from being ruled by Chaos, or will it have been no different than having a particularly cruel lord for a generation?

If there's no fundamental transformation, then whether the mountain duchy holds out or not makes little difference outside of the strategic considerations - they're going be suffering from the war either way. If rule by the Twins did cause them to break more permanently from Solansia's orders, then keeping them from that would present a more meaningful distinction.

One complication here is that nobody in the game (other than Skordred and some orcs) truly follows or cares about "Might Makes Right" - Rowan certainly doesn't, and he's the one running things. The Twins were inclined to cast it aside. Some characters in the game do advocate for it, but always defer back to Rowan because, well, he's the warlord here, and he's actively managing things.

"Might Makes Right" may be their justification, but what it becomes in practice is making cases to Rowan, who chooses based on what he thinks is best. This doesn't differ significantly from an absolute monarchy; the only difference is that Rowan rules by right of continued success, and everyone is free to appeal to him without needing a noble title to back them up.

Of course, it'd completely fall apart after the death of Rowan and the Twins, as a power struggle tears things apart in the absence of a single clear successor, but... Well, that gets back to the part where they don't really follow "Might Makes Right" - if the game went on long enough, they'd certainly ensure that there was an heir competent enough to claim things on their own merit.

I disagree, personally; life as a refugee in that situation would be horrible. They'd literally have nothing but the clothes on their back, be weakened from the long march out of the kingdom, and almost certainly lack any useful skills (a craftsman without their tools isn't much of a craftsman, and they'd be trying to break into an established market without any capital). Most of them would die; those that don't, would be surviving on charity that can't deal with the number of victims.

And this is setting aside the fact that they would be treated with scorn and suspicion by the people they fled to; a country will pat itself on the back for accepting a handful of refugees, but once there are enough that it takes actual effort to do the right thing, they start to resent them and look for excuses to force them along. This is before the rumors start spreading about spies and shapeshifters hiding amongst the refugees, waiting to take down the kingdom by surprise like they took down Rosaria.

Meanwhile, those that stayed... Well, I wouldn't expect it to go well for them, necessarily. But I expect that they'll have homes and food, and that jobs (real jobs, not slave jobs) will soon be arranged for everyone as soon as they work out how much economic capacity was burnt out of the place. And as time goes on, things will go back to relative normal as routines resume, people adapt to their new neighbors, and the Twins learn how much they can play with the city before it starts causing them more problems than fun. As for where things go from there... Well, that depends on the war, I suppose.
I won't breakdown the rest of your post because I agree with some of the stuff and for the ones I don't I feel discussing it by parts would have me repeating previous points, so instead I'm gonna focus on the general picture and I think that a critical source of disagreement for me is that I think your arguments place too much importance on the "top level management" and not enough importance on the "middle level management" and on the culture that dictates their actions.

What I mean by this is that, sure the Twins are only two people and they aren't chaos fanatics, so upending every form of artificial order existing in the world is not something they are really interested in. But some of their followers are, and the Twins still preach "might makes right" as the source of their legitimacy, even if they start going down a more feudal route with titles, their presented rationale is never "accept our titles because it is for the greater good" but "accept our titles because we are stronger than you and so we can command whatever we want". To me this is an important distinction in the ethical foundation of any society.

Take as an example the governing of Rastedel, even if Rowan could somehow get the Twins to make a public announcement fully endorsing his chosen governor and saying their word is law, that wouldn't stop other believers of "might makes right" to still be willing to challenge Jacques or Patricia, specially if they actually tried to reach for more humanitarian values, because they think themselves stronger than these pathetic humans and they would only take direct orders from the Twins or someone stronger than them, of course the Twins could take offense to this and slaughter that person for their impertinence, but they could also agree with their argument and patronizingly tell the human governor they are being too soft, as we have seen such situations play out in the Twins' own castle and Rowan struggling to maintain a chain of command.

And this is all assuming the issues were even being brought up to the big shots like Rowan or Jacques/Patricia, a city the size of Rastedel will have plenty of nameless administrators that will be even further removed from the Twins and have even less power and legitimacy to keep their underlings from challenging them, and this is still assuming most of the city staff won't be replaced by orcs and demons that subscribe to "might makes right" and are absolutely fine with many civical transgressions that could occur under their watch. You can argue Rastedel will eventually reach a new balance and "get used to their new neighbours", but I really don't think any new status quo will leave them much better than slaves, with constant rapes, thefts, and other forms of abuse going completely unpunished by the new authorities, with or without the Twins' involvement.

I simply do not think a society holding to principles of "might makes right" (even if said principles aren't being taken to their logical extreme) can scale to functional leadership of a city the size of Rastedel, it would require a revolution led by iconic leadership championing more communal values, which the Twins aren't because they are outwardly impulsive, selfish, and imoral fucks.

gamingdevil800

Monke
Donor
Aug 4, 2020
Of course, Marianne is a powerful individual who can greatly enhance any force she's part of, and Werden appears to be one of the few competent generals employed by the Six Realms. Well, Five Realms now. I don't doubt their ability to make military contributions. But...

For the first question, does everything end when peace is restored? Do the famines end? Are the dead peasants resurrected? The burnt villages rebuilt, the sacked manors refurnished? There's going to be a long reconstruction period, both for the pre-existing problems and the new ones the Twins built. And when that happens, who is Werden going to favor? The nobles who he relies on support, and who are at the head of Solansia's Order? Or the peasants, who are the ones who can barely survive the remaining season and need immediate aid? And even if he isn't cruel and short-sighted enough to stiff them, can the same be said for every noble at his side, who he relies on to carry out his suggestions for how to handle their own territory? Because they didn't exactly make a great impression back in Rastadel.

And, for that matter... Does the Kingdom's own wishes even matter after this? Because it was already deep under Prothea's influence before this - and now, Prothean troops are going to be at the front of retaking it. The food and supplies to rebuild probably aren't going to be locally sourced either. After something like this, will they be able to maintain even the fiction of independence, or will the decisions made on the ground instead be made in some far-flung court that's more preoccupied with their own problems? Even for rebels with the best of intentions, such arrangements don't tend to work out well for the freedom fighters. At worst, the puppet regime ends up with all the aid going to prop up their own power while their chosen favorites live a life of luxury, and the rubble never gets rebuilt at all.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of another scene like the destruction of the army that could be prevented if you sided with Werden, and think it could enhance the narrative. But, like you say, that would make it more a bright spot on an otherwise doomed timeline in my eyes. In terms of things that might otherwise give me pause... Maybe the Dark Elves demanding the genocide of the Elves as terms for an alliance insisted upon by Jezera? Maybe?

A likable character surviving on Werden's route while dying on others sounds perfectly reasonable to me, though. That tends to be a good vehicle for conveying tragedy (an important element of this story), and it's a tool that's already been used; I like both Jacques and Patricia, but one of them will always die.

On the one hand, the idea of continuous benefits sounds good to me, but on the other... It strikes me that it would be easy for this to become an "informed attribute" at best, and outright counterproductive at worst. I mean, what does that continuous stream look like in terms of mechanics? Lowered thresholds for certain checks, maybe? But that's something that could easily be overlooked.

But it's pretty easy to imagine why this prolonged war would involve a lot more dead orcs on your part (mechanically, lowered recruitment numbers), depopulated villages (lower gold income), and a host of war-related expenses (higher upkeep). And it's still your army taking the brunt of this. But hamstringing your own success doesn't really sound like a fun game, so... I don't know how to make this fun, mechanically coherent, and continuous. Narratively speaking, "only shows up at key moments" sounds like the better way to go.

I think the cat's out of the bag at this point. Even if Werden was inclined to keep his mouth shut, every noble at the lodge saw him accuse Rowan and lock him up - and even if his camp doesn't talk, there were plenty of people who saw him at the sack, and at the following festivities. It would be extremely strange if they were able to keep the person running things anonymous now that they've taken a city of Rastadel's size.

• Angry
Reactions: 593322 and Back

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
If you care about Rowan and Alexia only and nobody else I think killing of Werden and Marienne is a good thing. Eventually our couple will take over everything and nobody important can oppose them. Don't forget that Alexia is becoming an overpowered sorceress and she will be the key to overthrow twins. Also pretty much everybody in the twins' castle prefers Rowan over twins as far as I know. In this situation there is no reason to keep any strong figure alive in Rastadel. I am sure that devs will make an ending with Rowan and Alexia are ruling over everybody with a soft dictatorship.

Jan 10, 2018
I do not think it is quite correct to assume the Twins would have already failed without him, I think it is a safe bet to say everything up to Raeve's keep would have gone exactly the same and it was much more about them testing Rowan as an agent rather than needing him as one. Even after that I'd say things would have gone similarly, the orcs would have been recruited, the Rastedel army heading towards Raeve's keep would have still been sniped, it would just probably not have been quite as clean. Same even for the actual conquest of Rastedel, Jezera had agents in the city long before Rowan step foot in it, without Rowan maybe they don't manipulate the coup into happening at such a perfect timing, but they would have still had the forces to conquer the city.

Being able to protect Alexia and mitigating the Twins' damage have been Rowan's personal justifications from day 1, but it only really works because of the assumption that he couldn't have really stopped any of what they have done up to this point, which I do think is true. But at some point Rowan's impact as an asset will stop being about just making things easier for the Twins and will start being about actually enabling them to achieve things they wouldn't be able to without him, and I think that starts with Rowan eliminating capable opposition. The question becomes about for how long Rowan can justify what he's doing as being the lesser evil.

Of course this goes back to the meta-level discussion that this is a videogame and we know Werden and Marianne won't be as critical as that, but narratively speaking, the idea that making sure Werden and Marianne die pathetically without being able to lift as much as a finger against the Twins was the first real thing they maybe wouldn't have been able to do without Rowan is a little interesting.
They could probably have taken Raeve's Keep on their own, but I don't know that they could have gone past that. Bear in mind that their original plan was "Ally with the Dark Elves, then march on Prothea", which... Well, if they could have pulled it off, they'd have conquered the Six Realms. It's just that they had about a 0% chance of doing that. Plus, both of the Twins were rather overconfident prior to that; Jezera thought she'd have the Dark Elves eating out of her hand, but lost her temper and killed an important negotiating partner, while Andras had dreadfully underestimated what the Prothean legions could accomplish prior to actually reading a book.

As for the resources they had at hand... They had a small band orcs that Andras kept killing for failing him, Jezera's band of eclectics, a few mages of dubious loyalty, the ruins of an evil castle, and Cla-Min. No scouts, no cubi, and no equipment. If they wanted to build a secret society, that would probably be enough to make some serious headway, but to openly conquer a kingdom? It would have been a fantasy without a hero, and a whole lot of luck.

Plus, they were pretty panicked at Astarte; Jezera's first thought was to retreat, while Andras would have brashly thrown his life away in a doomed battle. They had the tools to win without him, but not the knowledge of how - it was only by Rowan breaking down the situation that Jezera realized how powerful her contribution to the battle could be. Andras wouldn't have been interested or able to talk things out like that.

And while I say that "they had the tools", I'm not so certain of that in practice - they were able to get an Orc army because Rowan was able to settle things in an Orc way, ensuring the legitimacy of their warchief. If it needed to be left to Andras, he probably would have just killed one, and intimidated the other - leaving the followers of the losing side discontented and not truly loyal to the chief who now appears weak in the eyes of the tribe. It would be a smaller, weaker army, when they were already outnumbered on the field.

Prior to Astarte, Rowan's contribution was really just to make the Twins a credible power at all, organizing what they already had - but Astarte is where he really started to make the Twin's dreamed conquest a reality, instead of just speeding up something that could have happened without him.

My impression is that Werden is uncompromising with the notion that peasants shouldn't challenge nobles because he prizes the maintenance of order above all else, not because he is particularly more cruel or demanding with the peasants in an individual level. This doesn't help much during peace times where the peasants are the only ones suffering and Werden needs to negotiate for the support of the nobility, but I do expect better from his leadership during war times.

Of course that might not mean much for you since you are mostly focused on meaningful lasting transformations when it comes to the results of the game, but I never really thought that far ahead when trying to come up with merits for Werden's route, just them being able to keep the kingdom from being quite as destroyed during the war is as far of a reach as I could picture.
I agree that Werden doesn't seem particularly cruel to me; cold and callous, yes, as one can see from his conversation with Rowan as they burn the homes near the wall, but I never got the impression that he particularly enjoyed being a heel.

But his philosophy still has a disproportionate impact on the peasantry because he can enforce it on peasants in a way that he cannot do unto his peers. If a peasant rises above his station, he can push them back into the ground, even if it's one of the Six Heroes; if a fellow noble decides to throw a feast every evening, the most he can do is give them dark looks and snide comments. Heck, such a noble might even have more soft power than him because they're networking at the capital constantly, while he's the irritation who keeps demanding difficult changes to protect the kingdom.

In another light, it's an example of how an uncompromising philosophy that doesn't consider the specifics of the problem can cause a hell of a lot of harm despite the best of intentions. Just how Werden inadvertently launched the events of the game when he ensured Rowan would be sent back to the farm with no protection, honestly.

As far as the second paragraph goes, though - you'd be right. I don't care that Werden means well, just what the outcomes are likely to be. It does raise another thought on my part, though; how our different views on the Twin's success without Rowan weigh on the value of Werden. From my perspective, Rowan could have ended this already by dying, so saving Werden is just an ill-considered half-measure on his part; a sop to his conscience because he couldn't go all the way. But if the Twins could have taken Rastadel without him, then he did indeed have a meaningful impact on the war situation that outweighs his own contributions to the Twins cause.

(Of course, if they could have won without him, then he really didn't need to beat himself up that much after Astarte and Rastadel, but... Details. He has no way of knowing the answer either way.)

I won't breakdown the rest of your post because I agree with some of the stuff and for the ones I don't I feel discussing it by parts would have me repeating previous points, so instead I'm gonna focus on the general picture and I think that a critical source of disagreement for me is that I think your arguments place too much importance on the "top level management" and not enough importance on the "middle level management" and on the culture that dictates their actions.

What I mean by this is that, sure the Twins are only two people and they aren't chaos fanatics, so upending every form of artificial order existing in the world is not something they are really interested in. But some of their followers are, and the Twins still preach "might makes right" as the source of their legitimacy, even if they start going down a more feudal route with titles, their presented rationale is never "accept our titles because it is for the greater good" but "accept our titles because we are stronger than you and so we can command whatever we want". To me this is an important distinction in the ethical foundation of any society.

Take as an example the governing of Rastedel, even if Rowan could somehow get the Twins to make a public announcement fully endorsing his chosen governor and saying their word is law, that wouldn't stop other believers of "might makes right" to still be willing to challenge Jacques or Patricia, specially if they actually tried to reach for more humanitarian values, because they think themselves stronger than these pathetic humans and they would only take direct orders from the Twins or someone stronger than them, of course the Twins could take offense to this and slaughter that person for their impertinence, but they could also agree with their argument and patronizingly tell the human governor they are being too soft, as we have seen such situations play out in the Twins' own castle and Rowan struggling to maintain a chain of command.

And this is all assuming the issues were even being brought up to the big shots like Rowan or Jacques/Patricia, a city the size of Rastedel will have plenty of nameless administrators that will be even further removed from the Twins and have even less power and legitimacy to keep their underlings from challenging them, and this is still assuming most of the city staff won't be replaced by orcs and demons that subscribe to "might makes right" and are absolutely fine with many civical transgressions that could occur under their watch. You can argue Rastedel will eventually reach a new balance and "get used to their new neighbours", but I really don't think any new status quo will leave them much better than slaves, with constant rapes, thefts, and other forms of abuse going completely unpunished by the new authorities, with or without the Twins' involvement.

I simply do not think a society holding to principles of "might makes right" (even if said principles aren't being taken to their logical extreme) can scale to functional leadership of a city the size of Rastedel, it would require a revolution led by iconic leadership championing more communal values, which the Twins aren't because they are outwardly impulsive, selfish, and imoral fucks.
I think you're underestimating the power of cultural inertia here, though. These are almost exclusively human settlements, who have held to Solansia's order for generations, and from a historical perspective, it is far more common for conquerors to adopt the culture of the culture of their new land than the converse. If the people at the top are actively disinterested in changing that culture, I just don't see how it happens, especially in less than a generation's time.

I mean, is anyone in Rastadel particularly interested in adopting "Might Makes Right"? We could repeal the laws on murder tomorrow, but that doesn't mean we're suddenly living in The Purge - so long as humans just aren't that interested in wantonly slaughtering each other, the fact that something becomes possible doesn't mean that it will happen. And it doesn't even look like things went that far; remember how Rowan can decide to give a village to a mercenary instead of an orc, and justify it because he's still the stronger than either of them? He still makes the rules; the place isn't in a state of anarchy during the occupation regardless of what philosophy the Twins embrace, and I strongly doubt that he's interested in having his governor displaced by force. I doubt the Twins do, either; they know all too well that it's a quick path to having a disloyal governor, considering their approval rating amongst the city. And within the city, the words of the governor are law. They have to be, or else there's functionally no governor in a situation like this. Neither Jacques nor Patricia are interested in having their staff picked by force instead of their usual selection process.

And this is further discounting the likelihood that the Twins are willing to make special exceptions for their richest, most productive territory. Even if they would encourage a more lawless philosophy in the countryside, they're not going to appreciate the workshops that make their luxuries shutting down for stupid reasons. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up learning a new lesson from the expense of getting Rastadel back into working order. Not that they won't just push it all on to Rowan, of course, but at least remember it the next time they consider smashing something expensive.

The most I see changing in Rastadel over the course of a year is that the truly useless nobility, the ones whose only worth is their name, losing what they have left. People like Patricia would be fine, because they have useful skills and those they've worked with know it. People like Werden would still command the loyalty of their retainers because they've earned it, while people like Delane can still charm people into listening to her. People like Raeve, who was only ever followed for his family name... Well, they'll sink to where they should be in a world without the power of a noble title. That's the kind of thing that can change in the course of a single generation, but I doubt that it's a change many people would mourn.

(What does "Might Makes Right" even look like outside of Orcs, for that matter? They do ritualized duels, but it doesn't seem like the rest of the Chaos races necessarily interpret it the same way.)

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
I really don't think you want to go back to that one. They were just starting to restructure their building code, and that was two or three versions back. I haven't gotten around to playing this one to see what they might have borked this time.

Apparently forge is bugged. Funnily the forge was already bugged and someone provided a fix https://f95zone.to/threads/seeds-of-chaos-v0-2-62b-venus-noire.26/page-400#post-4371662 . It's from an older version tho, so could break something if used on the current version

Reactions: errte13

manscout

Jun 13, 2018
(What does "Might Makes Right" even look like outside of Orcs, for that matter? They do ritualized duels, but it doesn't seem like the rest of the Chaos races necessarily interpret it the same way.)
That is honestly a great question, I don't think the game has explored much of what exactly the more chaotic kingdoms really look like. Most representants of chaos we see in the game are rather individualistic, operating as outlaws, or part of small communities.

I assume that it would mean there is no force of law that cannot be overruled by right of conquest (meaning if someone does something underhanded or forbidden to seize power, that cannot be held against them on principle alone). It is not that I don't think a "Might Makes Right" empire couldn't exist, but that such an empire would consist of smaller communities, each tightly controlled by a tribal leader who swears fealty to an emperor that is presented as many times their superior. That way even if control of a small tribe is upturned internally, that could never lead to thoughts of insurrection against the emperor himself. The issue to me is that I do not see how a "Might Makes Right" system of any kind could translate into functional urban administration, city politics often revolve around complex organizational issues that benefit more from stable protocols than the arbitrary decisions of individual administrators, and the later sound more likely to happen in "Might Makes Right".

As for the rest of the post, you made some good points and I don't think I have much to add. At most I think it should be kept in mind that certain elements of the cultures in SoC are tied to factual power because magic. As in, priests of Solansia can receive real power just by staying true to her will, same for priests of Kairos. Even if the Twins aren't fanatics themselves and they are occupying a traditionally human kingdom, it might be in their best interest to crush Solansian presence in the kingdom to avoid potentially dangerous religious insurgency, and they might have to listen to the Kairos hardliners because they might have real power to actually back any demands they make to the Twins.

Jan 10, 2018
That is honestly a great question, I don't think the game has explored much of what exactly the more chaotic kingdoms really look like. Most representants of chaos we see in the game are rather individualistic, operating as outlaws, or part of small communities.

I assume that it would mean there is no force of law that cannot be overruled by right of conquest (meaning if someone does something underhanded or forbidden to seize power, that cannot be held against them on principle alone). It is not that I don't think a "Might Makes Right" empire couldn't exist, but that such an empire would consist of smaller communities, each tightly controlled by a tribal leader who swears fealty to an emperor that is presented as many times their superior. That way even if control of a small tribe is upturned internally, that could never lead to thoughts of insurrection against the emperor himself. The issue to me is that I do not see how a "Might Makes Right" system of any kind could translate into functional urban administration, city politics often revolve around complex organizational issues that benefit more from stable protocols than the arbitrary decisions of individual administrators, and the later sound more likely to happen in "Might Makes Right".
I can imagine some Chaos societies dealing with this a bit better than others; we don't know much about the goblin tribes, for instance, but they revere trickiness and sneaking, while looking down on "big man strength" and "cheating magic". Their case could be a mirror of Tarish's, where you can, technically, just go up and shank the leader - but nobody will respect that victory, and will choose to follow someone else who better matches their picture of the "strongest".

In this case, being able to work well with others becomes a high-priority skillset, because it's no longer about individual strength per se, but "might" in the sense of "how many people can you talk into following you". Making sound judgments for the good of the whole translates well into overseeing a large community, and is conducive to that task - right before you make a selfish judgment to unseat a rival, but that happens in human cities often enough as-is. So long as it's not taken too far, it's a manageable problem.

As for the rest of the post, you made some good points and I don't think I have much to add. At most I think it should be kept in mind that certain elements of the cultures in SoC are tied to factual power because magic. As in, priests of Solansia can receive real power just by staying true to her will, same for priests of Kairos. Even if the Twins aren't fanatics themselves and they are occupying a traditionally human kingdom, it might be in their best interest to crush Solansian presence in the kingdom to avoid potentially dangerous religious insurgency, and they might have to listen to the Kairos hardliners because they might have real power to actually back any demands they make to the Twins.
Do we know enough about magic in Seeds of Chaos to say that definitively? I recall the Cliohna talking to Alexia about communing and channeling, referencing both divine and chaotic entities, but it didn't really sound like belief was necessarily a prerequisite. Of course, what with Cliohna despising Solansia, that might only reflect Chaos's side of the ledger - it'd make sense to me that they're a bit looser about that sort of thing.

And from the Church taking in magically gifted individuals from a young age, it doesn't seem that belief on its own carries any particular power (indeed, we've seen a number of devout individuals on both sides who don't get any power for it, while we've seen more skeptical individuals like that one kid with the adventuring party granted power anyway), but rather that the Church goes out of its way to acquire people who can channel divine energy.

I do agree that the Twins have an active incentive to persecute the Solansian faith, however; it represents something intrinsically opposed to them that people can rally around. But it would be enough to go after the symbols of the faith and the priests, I think - uprooting the culture itself is more trouble than its worth, especially if they want these places functional during the war.

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
As a brief aside, most of the ambiguity that brings up is intentional. The power relationship between the twins and the Program Priesthood and the Cult of Chaos is something I definitely want to explore further. More then that, I want to give players a chance to take the society they're building down multiple different paths to see the extent that this kind of counterfactual might change the world .

I'm not going to dole out definitive answers in this question.

However one of the core problems is a question I've been eager to explore.

What is the moral character of revolutionary violence? If an existing society is bad but in a stable way, what is an appropriate ethical response? How might different types of revolutionary response differ morally? I don't think it's an issue with clear answer, and I think it'd be bad for any of the SoC team to insist there is a moral clarity.

Jan 10, 2018
As a brief aside, most of the ambiguity that brings up is intentional. The power relationship between the twins and the Program Priesthood and the Cult of Chaos is something I definitely want to explore further. More then that, I want to give players a chance to take the society they're building down multiple different paths to see the extent that this kind of counterfactual might change the world .
As an aside, I actually got a bit of an SMT vibe when I first saw the setting - Solansia and Kharos both represent some pretty unpleasant extremes, but... Trying to go down the middle leaves you with no patron in a world where the others get superpowers.

Though at least unlike SMT, trying to go down the middle road doesn't leave the world completely screwed! At least, not that we can see yet.

I'm not going to dole out definitive answers in this question.

However one of the core problems is a question I've been eager to explore.

What is the moral character of revolutionary violence? If an existing society is bad but in a stable way, what is an appropriate ethical response? How might different types of revolutionary response differ morally? I don't think it's an issue with clear answer, and I think it'd be bad for any of the SoC team to insist there is a moral clarity.
...This game is going to make me look like some kind of extremist just because I'm more focused on the end result than the horrors I'm unleashing each day, isn't it >_> . I swear my Rowan is low-corruption! It's just that, well, revolution is a messy and unpleasant business, and the best way to do the least harm is to ensure it's over as quickly as possible, regardless of the costs...

Jokes aside, though, one thing I enjoy about this game is how it can ask a question like that alongside Rowan being offered all sorts of debauchery, so that we can distinguish between a Rowan who decides that the ends justify the means and a Rowan who's just a plain bad person; a Rowan who decides that destroying Delane's mind is an acceptable sacrifice from one who seduces Juliet purely to hurt her father.

Though, just to chime in on one possibility presented by the game; I think Jacques had a pretty good idea going there, one better than working with the Twins to conquer the world... But I do wonder if it would have worked out in practice. Could he have ever launched a coup if it weren't for the Twins? Would Prothea really have let him get away with it (sincere question, not rhetorical - I don't really know how hardline they are)? Once the crisis is past, would his reforms persevere or would the castes harden again to freeze out the limited social mobility he'd earned? Reform is basically always preferable to revolution, but only if there's a realistic chance of reform, instead of having it dangled like a carrot always just out of reach.

I mention this because it's an added tragedy to the game if Rowan ended up burning down a genuine solution to Rosaria's problems, even if he had little choice in the matter. I still think that all of... This, would be justified if there's a better world at the end of it, but it would still be regrettable that it displaced a cleaner path forward.

• Thinking Face

T51bwinterized

Game Developer
Oct 17, 2017
I quite like Jacques. And I'm not going to imply anything sinister about him. But when considering the desireability of his ideas one does have to look at the relationship between the messenger and his message....perhaps as well the way he delivers the message.

New Kid

Apr 2, 2018
On the subject of the "we don't know how the twins would fare without Rowan's help", we can make an educated guess by listening to the lore of the past wars, which say that Rastedel was never taken by demons. It's clear that Andras isn't the sharpest one around and relies solely on his brute strength to get things done, while Jezera paints herself as a master manipulator but her temper actually gets the better of her at times and makes her botch some important matters as what happened with the dark elves, and her "panicking" at Astarte. So yeah, without Rowan I highly doubt they would manage to take Rastedel and even in the unlikely event they did, they wouldn't be able to hold if for long.

Let's not forget that the forces of chaos also have their own quarrels too, it's not just human society. The 2 warring Fey factions, the orcs and even those chaos cultists don't seem to be on the same page for what they want after the things settle down. It's much easier to keep different views together during wartime while you still have a common enemy, but after that I suppose that civil war will follow inside our own ranks depending on what we do, hell I think that at some point even the twins will turn on each other and force us to choose a side.

4.00 star(s) 162 Votes