2.50 star(s) 6 Votes

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Why switch from VX ACE to MV? Or better yet, why use RPGM at all when your game is not having combat, not using skill system, not using equipment or any of the other stuff that RPGM is made for? If they're switching from one engine to another then they can (and should) switch to Ren'py... or even to HTML. There was no reason for Selena's Story to be in RPGM and there is no reason to continue using this engine if they're not going to use all of it's capabilities...

kymico

Nov 29, 2016
Why switch from VX ACE to MV? Or better yet, why use RPGM at all when your game is not having combat, not using skill system, not using equipment or any of the other stuff that RPGM is made for? If they're switching from one engine to another then they can (and should) switch to Ren'py... or even to HTML. There was no reason for Selena's Story to be in RPGM and there is no reason to continue using this engine if they're not going to use all of it's capabilities...
Definitely agree here. I suggest an effort looking at and testing on Ren'py. It's free and not that hard to use.

greyelf

Nov 16, 2016
...why use RPGM at all...
Maybe the developer isn't comfortable with having to learn how to program in Python and how to use the Ren'py framework, or to spend the time requires to do both of these things. Maybe the developer likes using RPGM or the developer has existing skills with that product, which generally means that they can spend more time on the writing / CG creating parts of the project and less time on the 'coding' part.

If they're switching from one engine to another then they...
From a developing point of view there is little difference between creating a VX ACE based game and creating a MV based one, because the relevant IDE's have very similar work-flows and functionality. Changing from a Point-and-Click IDE to one that requires knowing how to Program and Debug Python code takes a lot more effort and can be a daunting task if the developer doesn't already know how to do these things.

I understand that some players of erotic games prefer Ren'py over RPGM but that fact shouldn't dictate which engine a developer has to use. That's a little like stating that because some people play Mobile based games then developers should be creating them instead of desktop based ones.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
I actually prefer RPGM games over Ren'py ones... I feel that most people have problem with RPGM because people use them for Visual Novels which is one thing RPGM is not good at. Also, switching from VX ACE to MV is not necessarily an improvement, especially if we keep getting a movement at snail pace (which is what pretty much everyone complained about... not resolution or mouse use), painfully slow scripted movement, inability to skip text, etc.

Also, Ren'py is not the only thing they can switch to... HTML, or more specifically "Tlaero's Adventure Creator" might be even better option for a game like this.

Reactions: cg3985

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
I got the pop out to play Karen's story
Can I play it after or is it better to play Karen's story first?

D

Deleted member 50069

The problem with Ren'py or VN engine is just as @greyelf said earlier - I would be new to these kind of engines. When I'm codding events I need to keep in mind all possibilies and to achieve it I have to know engine.
For example - I'm working on clothing feature for Selena 2, which means you would be able to buy own outfits and use them as you wish during gameplay and not be forced to use one of two outfits available as it was in Selena 1.
This means nothing more I have completly no idea how VN and Ren'py works and no idea how to implement all things I've prepared for Selena 2 in RPGM.
However its not excuse that I don't know how to create game in other engine. For me as Dev its most important to: 1) be flexible with all possibilities ; 2) to give my supporters best quaility updates.
Thats why during small break between Selena: Season One and Selena: Season Two, we are going to release Tinder Stories: Megan episode which will be much shorter game than Karen Episode, however it will be my first game codded in VNM. It will give us few things - for me, I'll start learning new engine, our fans will get first NTR&Cuckold theme story, and I'll post it as free game to our fans (probably on this forum) as you could check if we are going good way with VNM and tell us your ideas (please keep in mind it would be our first game in other than RPGM engine).

About your posts - don't talk about speedwalking because after V0.5 I restored dash feature to ALL previous updates. I cannot do same with, as you said - text skip or pauses between dialoques because I would have to rewrite almost whole game. All I can do is don't doing it to V0.7 update.

Also give me a sign if our writing is better than earlier - I've paid much more attention to this during last updates.

Cheers!

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
The problem with Ren'py or VN engine is just as @greyelf said earlier - I would be new to these kind of engines. When I'm codding events I need to keep in mind all possibilies and to achieve it I have to know engine.
For example - I'm working on clothing feature for Selena 2, which means you would be able to buy own outfits and use them as you wish during gameplay and not be forced to use one of two outfits available as it was in Selena 1.
This means nothing more I have completly no idea how VN and Ren'py works and no idea how to implement all things I've prepared for Selena 2 in RPGM.
However its not excuse that I don't know how to create game in other engine. For me as Dev its most important to: 1) be flexible with all possibilities ; 2) to give my supporters best quaility updates.
Thats why during small break between Selena: Season One and Selena: Season Two, we are going to release Tinder Stories: Megan episode which will be much shorter game than Karen Episode, however it will be my first game codded in VNM. It will give us few things - for me, I'll start learning new engine, our fans will get first NTR&Cuckold theme story, and I'll post it as free game to our fans (probably on this forum) as you could check if we are going good way with VNM and tell us your ideas (please keep in mind it would be our first game in other than RPGM engine).

About your posts - don't talk about speedwalking because after V0.5 I restored dash feature to ALL previous updates. I cannot do same with, as you said - text skip or pauses between dialoques because I would have to rewrite almost whole game. All I can do is don't doing it to V0.7 update.

Also give me a sign if our writing is better than earlier - I've paid much more attention to this during last updates.

Cheers!
as long as you try to improve your abilities, everything is fine for me
nobody can request more

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
Please answer
I don't want to spam.

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017

Cheers!
I understand that learning to use new engine is time consuming but as you said, you'll need to do that with MV anyway and I don't think MV is that much better than VX ACE. It will certainly not make much (if any) difference to your number of Patreons since you'll still be using RPGM and there are quite a few people who simply ignore any game made in that engine...

You say that you plan to introduce a clothing feature and that is great. My question is will that be just decorative or will clothing choice matter? For example, in V0.6 when Selena goes to interview those basketball players, if she choose to wear "professional" outfit she only get one question before they quickly loose interest in her. But if she choose to wear something a bit more revealing she get additional question because boys want to keep checking her out a bit more. At the same time you might have someone react negatively to her "revealing" outfit so she get only one question instead of two she'd get if she choose "professional" outfit.

As for movement speed... yes, you restored dash feature but movement speed is still rather inconsistent throughout the game. On some maps you move quite fast, while on others (like upstairs during party in V0.6) you move at turtle pace even while dashing. Also, why don't you give us a chance to activate "auto-dash" option from system settings? As for text speed, simply changing the setting to "instant text" (or better yet, allowing us to do it ourselves if we wish) would make a huge difference. And so would option to set the music/sound volume...

D

Deleted member 50069

Please answer
I don't want to spam.
Karen story first
I understand that learning to use new engine is time consuming but as you said, you'll need to do that with MV anyway and I don't think MV is that much better than VX ACE. It will certainly not make much (if any) difference to your number of Patreons since you'll still be using RPGM and there are quite a few people who simply ignore any game made in that engine...

You say that you plan to introduce a clothing feature and that is great. My question is will that be just decorative or will clothing choice matter? For example, in V0.6 when Selena goes to interview those basketball players, if she choose to wear "professional" outfit she only get one question before they quickly loose interest in her. But if she choose to wear something a bit more revealing she get additional question because boys want to keep checking her out a bit more. At the same time you might have someone react negatively to her "revealing" outfit so she get only one question instead of two she'd get if she choose "professional" outfit.

As for movement speed... yes, you restored dash feature but movement speed is still rather inconsistent throughout the game. On some maps you move quite fast, while on others (like upstairs during party in V0.6) you move at turtle pace even while dashing. Also, why don't you give us a chance to activate "auto-dash" option from system settings? As for text speed, simply changing the setting to "instant text" (or better yet, allowing us to do it ourselves if we wish) would make a huge difference. And so would option to set the music/sound volume...
At the beginning I thought about clothing feature to be only decorative.
However later I came out with idea that Selena have to earn money in order to buy anything, and here goes another feature that I wish to implement - money system for tasks and side jobs, eventually more hardcore tasks like investigation on your own which can lead to GoR, yet these tasks would be most attractive if you would like to earn cash fast.
I have tons of ideas how to improve it and maybe you are right that VN engine would fit better, thats why before releasing Selena: Season Two, Im planning to release Megan Episode first

Reactions: UncleVT

Ripe

Jun 30, 2017
Karen story first

At the beginning I thought about clothing feature to be only decorative.
However later I came out with idea that Selena have to earn money in order to buy anything, and here goes another feature that I wish to implement - money system for tasks and side jobs, eventually more hardcore tasks like investigation on your own which can lead to GoR, yet these tasks would be most attractive if you would like to earn cash fast.
I have tons of ideas how to improve it and maybe you are right that VN engine would fit better, thats why before releasing Selena: Season Two, Im planning to release Megan Episode first
Well, then you might check out stats, skills and level system that RPGM provide you... default stats are Attack, Defense, etc. but you can change that to say Investigation, Interrogation, Attractiveness, etc. and then have them affect jobs. You also have clothing that can give bonuses to Attractiveness (maybe even interrogation... her looks are distraction enough to let something slip).

RPGM gives a lot of options that can help you with what you're planning a lot better then Ren'py or some other engine.

D

Deleted member 50069

I've reuploaded the version because of bathroom bug. If you've been occuring this error, either use fixsave in folder with game from old version, or download newest. :)

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
I think it all goes down to some people being "affraid" of the "pure code" nature of Ren'py and feeling more comfortable with the "wizzard based" nature of RPGM.

But then again, the coding part of Ren'py is pretty simplistic and you get the hang of it in minutes (hours if you haven't seen a single line of code in your entire life).

Of course, if you want to have nifty features like day/night cycle, random encounters, minigames and such, you'll have to learn a bit of python programming (wich isn't hard at all).

2.50 star(s) 6 Votes