3.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Version 1.1 is out.

Changelog:
1. Added Mina and Destiny to the game.
2. Added some animations. This includes one of the gravures and the game menu. You can disable animations in the settings menu.
3. Added a mobile build (thanks DA for the port). You can toggle the mobile build in the settings menu (although it should be enabled by default on the mobile version of the game).
4. Added the requested change of being able to click on numbers if there are enough flags near it (which will reveal all the other squares around it).
5. Converted all PNG images to WEBP. This should dramatically reduce the size of the game. (Thanks Damned for telling me XnConvert was a thing...)

PC build:
Mac build:
DA port:

A word about future updates:
These updates take a lot of time for me to make as I try my hardest to make all the images as high quality as I possibly can. Initially, I wanted to update this game on a 14 day-cycle, however I've come to realize that it was too much work. I want to have the time to make good graphics and to improve my craft, so I will be moving onto a loose 1 month cycle. Really, I'll just try to make the updates within one month and if it takes more time, well I'll release the updates when they are ready and that's that. Yes, this may seem weird, but I'd rather take the time to make quality, rather than force myself to bulk render unappealing images.

I hope you enjoy this update, and let me know if you find any issue with any of the builds. I'll try to fix them as soon as I possibly can.

Edit: I forgot to add... This was my first animation, and I'm proud of it, no matter how small it is. It took a lot of time to make, and I want to make more animations in the future, so this is also part of why I am going to be taking more time to update from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reifon

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
Changelog:
[...]
5. Converted all PNG images to WEBP. This should dramatically reduce the size of the game. (Thanks Damned for telling me XnConvert was a thing...)
[...]
A word about future updates:
These updates take a lot of time for me to make as I try my hardest to make all the images as high quality as I possibly can. [..] I want to have the time to make good graphics and to improve my craft [...] Yes, this may seem weird, but I'd rather take the time to make quality, rather than force myself to bulk render unappealing images.
[...]
Edit: I forgot to add... This was my first animation, and I'm proud of it, no matter how small it is. It took a lot of time to make, and I want to make more animations in the future, so this is also part of why I am going to be taking more time to update from now on.
it's a bit of a contradiction to want to put so much effort into rendering and then give very little care for the fidelity of the final image.
lossy webp is a terrible way to go for image compression. you'd be better off using any modern jpeg encoder with a high quality setting.
of the image formats decodable in a normal renpy game (i.e. using sdl_image) it's best to take your pick between lossless webp, which is an entirely different format from the lossy kind, and jpeg.

seriously the images in your game now look really bad. it's a disservice to the work you put into rendering.

P.S. if you don't like the bloat of lossless formats and don't mind spending time to get as much quality as possible for your final product, you may want to look into using guetzli
also don't forget that jpeg has no support for transparency.. and not to convert to jpeg from a low quality/lossy source image.

Last edited:

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
it's a bit of a contradiction to want to put so much effort into rendering and then give very little care for the fidelity of the final image.
lossy webp is a terrible way to go for image compression. you'd be better off using any modern jpeg encoder with a high quality setting.
of the image formats decodable in a normal renpy game (i.e. using sdl_image) it's best to take your pick between lossless webp, which is an entirely different format from the lossy kind, and jpeg.

seriously the images in your game now look really bad. it's a disservice to the work you put into rendering.

P.S. if you don't like the bloat of lossless formats and don't mind spending time to get as much quality as possible for your final product, you may want to look into using guetzli
also don't forget that jpeg has no support for transparency.. and not to convert to jpeg from a low quality/lossy source image.
At 95%, there didn't seem to have any difference at all between the .png image and the .webp image.
I can upload a high quality version if you would like, however I do not believe you will be seeing any difference.

I asked a lot of people and almost all developpers told me that .webp was the way to go if I wanted to reduce the size of the images without loosing any image fidelity.

Maybe you could point out which images look terrible and I can look into changing the compression methods for them.

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
At 95%, there didn't seem to have any difference at all between the .png image and the .webp image.
[...]
Maybe you could point out which images look terrible and I can look into changing the compression methods for them.
if you don't notice a difference, and your fellow developers and audience don't seem to mind, then sure just go ahead with it.
in all likelihood i'm probably the only person who cares enough about that kind of thing to fuss about it.

in this case the reusable character cutouts weren't actually affected that badly, but considering they are the one of the best investments in terms of spending bits, you could still encode them losslessly.
really, lossy-webp is incredibly bad at retaining high frequency detail without having to cut back on the smoothing/deblocking filtering so much it looks like a crappy jpeg.
this makes your backgrounds often look smudgy or creates strange patches and some outlines on characters, particularly fine dark lines and textured areas can be completely wiped out.
lossy webp was never intended to be a still image compression format. it's just a wrapper around an I-frame of the vp8 format. which is really bad, particularly google's vpx codec. there are supposedly some good proprietary encoders for vp8/9 but they cost.. a lot..
still, you may not notice. you may not care. that is fine too.

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
if you don't notice a difference, and your fellow developers and audience don't seem to mind, then sure just go ahead with it.
in all likelihood i'm probably the only person who cares enough about that kind of thing to fuss about it.

in this case the reusable character cutouts weren't actually affected that badly, but considering they are the one of the best investments in terms of spending filesize, you could still encode them losslessly.
really, lossy-webp is incredibly bad at retaining high frequency detail without having to cut back on the smoothing/deblocking filtering so much it looks like a crappy jpeg.
this makes your backgrounds often look smudgy or creates strange patches and some outlines on characters, particularly fine dark lines and textured areas can be completely wiped out.
you may not realize lossy webp was never intended to be a still image compression format. it's just a wrapper around an I-frame of the vp8 format. which is really bad, particularly google's vpx codec. there are supposedly some good proprietary encoders for vp8/9 but they cost.. a lot..
still, you may not notice. you may not care. that is fine too.
I actually do care. The only reason I changed it was because I didn't see a difference. I didn't want to change from .png, because initially, I was concerned about people seeing the drop in quality. As you put it, I put a lot of efforts into rendering, so if the difference is noticeable, well I don't want to do it. However, when the file size was 500mb, I felt a bit panicked because I was planning on adding a lot more images to the game, and I don't want to have a 4GB minesweeper game.

I want a solution that will retain image quality while removing the useless bloat on the images, so that I can keep adding content without worrying about the game going over 1 GB size.

Reactions: yamipleb

yamipleb

Oct 27, 2018
I actually do care. The only reason I changed it was because I didn't see a difference. I didn't want to change from .png, because initially, I was concerned about people seeing the drop in quality. As you put it, I put a lot of efforts into rendering, so if the difference is noticeable, well I don't want to do it. However, when the file size was 500mb, I felt a bit panicked because I was planning on adding a lot more images to the game, and I don't want to have a 4GB minesweeper game.

I want a solution that will retain image quality while removing the useless bloat on the images, so that I can keep adding content without worrying about the game going over 1 GB size.
(y) i understand.
you seem to really have put a lot of thought into this already, and i didn't mean to be shouldn't have been so derisive towards your concerns or decisions.
what you're doing now is fine. i'm sure no one else will complain about the current image quality. (unless some smart-ass reads this and absolutely must be a contrarian, haha)

forgot to say earlier that i like your game, and do wish you best of luck with it!

Reactions: Ambir

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Made a couple of animated main menu backgrounds (one for each of the current girls).
For some reasons, Marcella apparently got two, so I've decided to share the second one I made by mistake. Let me know what you think of it. (Yes, it's gonna be in the game. Not gonna cut it just because it wasn't meant to exist)

Edit: Reworked the fire.
View attachment macella_background.webm

Last edited:

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
What an absolute talentless garbage. But I approve of it. Join me Ambir, come to the lower than talentless side.

• Red Heart

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Happy valentine's day everyone.
To commemorate the day, I've decided to release a special build that is themed around it.

What this build contains:
-2 new girls, Talia and Sylph.
-10 cute valentine outfit (and 10 corresponding stripteases).
-50 cute and sexy reward images.
-Nearly full UI rework.
-Improved graphics for the girls.

If you want to see what it looks like,

I hope you all have a wonderful day!

PS: Shoutout to HentaiWriter for letting me use his original character, Talia, in my game. If you don't know it, HentaiWriter is working on Future Fragments, an absolute blast of a game, and quite a sexy one, too. I recommend you check it out if you like platformers, female protagonists or games where you get to have sex if you are unlucky.

Terut

Nov 16, 2017
Is this game an always-solveable version of minesweeper? Can you do it logically from beginning to end, without needing to guess, or do we need to guess every now and then to complete it?

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
Is this game an always-solveable version of minesweeper? Can you do it logically from beginning to end, without needing to guess, or do we need to guess every now and then to complete it?
Right now, there is no functionality to stop you from having to guess from time to time. It was a really simple implementation of minesweeper which I honestly need to improve. I've already have gotten some pretty good feedback and suggestions, however if you have things you'd like to see added to this game, let me know.

• Sad
Reactions: Froschkönig27
May 13, 2021
Screenshot (296).png
I hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeperI hate minesweeper

• Sad

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Well then, that escalated quickly.

The_only_Flex

Oct 13, 2019
I get the error
IOError: Couldn't find file 'images/characters/Talia/main_menu_base.webp'.

While loading <'Image' u'images/characters/Talia/main_menu_base.webp'>:

when starting the game:

There also isn't a "Talia" folder in the images folder, so maybe you forgot to add the wepgs of Thalia? I get the same problem with the mega and zippyshare download, so it shouldn't be a problem that I caused (I think at least.) Did anyone else experience this problem with the version 1.1.0 (I'm playing this on Win10 if it helps)

Ambir

Adult games developer
Game Developer
Aug 7, 2020
I get the error

While loading <'Image' u'images/characters/Talia/main_menu_base.webp'>:

when starting the game:

There also isn't a "Talia" folder in the images folder, so maybe you forgot to add the wepgs of Thalia? I get the same problem with the mega and zippyshare download, so it shouldn't be a problem that I caused (I think at least.) Did anyone else experience this problem with the version 1.1.0 (I'm playing this on Win10 if it helps)
In which version, valentine special, or the main game?

Mystic

Elleria - Developer
Donor
Game Developer
Nov 24, 2019
Ambir, this is ROOKIE MISTAKE?!

3.00 star(s) 1 Vote