Keep the existing jobs or have the PC become a fulltime detective in week 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
A minor bug in the game's script. When the character is created, if you pick option to increase thievery skill it will use player.fitness as base, instead of player.body which results in initial thievery skill being much higher than it should be.
Code:
<<button "How to go where you're not supposed to and take things that aren't yours" "arrival to solomon falls">>
<<set $player.thieverylup += 5>>
<<set $player.thievery to Math.round($player.fitness + $player.awareness +$player.karma/2) + $player.thieverylup>>
<</button>><br>
The effect goes away if the player levels up their thievery skill, but if they don't touch it they can enjoy this "bonus" for quite a while.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Yeah, that bug was present in the level up mechanic so thievery could get crazy high. I didn't realize it was also present in character creation. In my sequel, I'm going to make skills and such much simpler for this very reason. And also balance their use better. I've learned a lot from this game.

Reactions: ffive

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Also, one more tiny bug:
Code:
    <<set $playerKnowledge.pushUnique("lisa20")>> 
    <<set $secrets.lisa13 to "Lisa demanded that the Mayor fire her father. He doesn't know why and he refused.">>
This leaves secret20 revealed but blank, while overwriting secret 13 with 20's data. Should be $secrets.lisa20 there.

kingbetty

Sep 4, 2017
What? You just learned about and downloaded the game today and have already completed it :unsure:?
I'm pretty sure my clear for 1 route was about 4 hours, not sure if it was a short route but I got a job as a waitress, rejected some characters who didn't interest me. Sorta just went through each day trying to visit the doctor, diner and church if given some free roam. I don't know if my choosing to reject most characters besides the 3 at those locations and the dominant goth girl (names escape me as I'm terrible with them) meant that I got a really short run

kingbetty

Sep 4, 2017
I actually quite like the Company though I have the opposite problem with it you have with my game. For me, sandbox type games like the Company can get quite repetitive. You have the same events repeating over and over and after a while I just get bored. I actually told myself when I made my game I wouldn't have any repeating content for that very reason. Well, not sexual content. Some stuff like the jobs repeat.

I have debated having Lou interact at the club and am leaning towards it. Funny story, that particular character model when he appears in a game is almost always a gropey molestor. When I was first designing the game, he was the main character's father and they came to town together in an old muscle car. I had designed him as a nice, sort of goofy and earnest father who was a genuinely good man. Mostly because I wanted to subvert people's expectations of the character. There is a tiny remnant of that in Lou in that if you follow up on his backstory you can find out he has a bit of a tragic past. It's not super clear in the game but I try to imply that the corruption that is infecting the town is why Lou is what he is now.

Maybe in the sequel I'll delve more into that kind of thing.
I do like the idea of making the most molesty looking character to be actually the nicest and most wholesome.

A route where you get to align with Lou or the club owner in a scheme by Lou to take over the club might be interesting, it gives you another branching path and pets players focus on more Lou if they preferred him or the club owner.

I completely get what you are saying about repetitive sexual events, I respect wanting to make a game that avoids them. Repetitive sexual events do sort of create a break in narrative reality where for some reason you have to hand job someone 10 times before they will do anything more etc... I generally enjoy them from an ease of play, I can just load up one of my three freeplay saves of company and enjoy some quick fun whereas with this I'd want to dedicate more time to explore a full run with a specific aim in mind which is great from a story perspective

Once again I loved your game and hope to see it continue to grow

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
Possibly wrong skill check here:
HTML:
        <p><<linkreplace "Look for further clues.">>

<<skillCheck "persuasion" 0 100 68>> /* Hard to search for clues in the dark and the fog. */
Searching for clues seems like something that should use investigation, not persuasion?

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
This bit of newspaper interview script has couple issues:
HTML:
<<if $events.amberlDate gte 2>>
    <p><<link "Tell her you are dating Jill Carlton.">>
        <<ctpAdvance "interview">>
        <<set $relationships.jill += 10>>
        <<if $events.mayor gte 5>>
            <<set $relationships.mayor -= 10>>
            <<set $events.mayorCheat to true>>

<</if>>
        <<set $events.interviewLover to "Jill">>
    <</link>></p>
<</if>>

<<if $events.jillDate gte 2>>
    <p><<link "Tell her you are dating Amber Ferguson.">>
        <<ctpAdvance "interview">>
        <<set $relationships.amber += 10>>
        <<if $events.mayor gte 5>>
            <<set $relationships.mayor -= 10>>
            <<set $events.mayorCheat to true>>

<</if>>
        <<set $events.interviewLover to "Amber">>
    <</link>></p>
<</if>>
There's typo in first check, events.amberlDate instead of events.amberDate. Additionally, this check and the one for jillDate are swapped -- passing check for Amber sets MC's relationship to Jill and vice-versa.

Last edited:

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Also, one more tiny bug:
Code:
    <<set $playerKnowledge.pushUnique("lisa20")>>
    <<set $secrets.lisa13 to "Lisa demanded that the Mayor fire her father. He doesn't know why and he refused.">>
This leaves secret20 revealed but blank, while overwriting secret 13 with 20's data. Should be $secrets.lisa20 there.
Do you remember where in the game you get that information? It's hard to find some of these bugs because the game is so large and in Visual Studio Code is broken up into lots of different files.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
I do like the idea of making the most molesty looking character to be actually the nicest and most wholesome.

A route where you get to align with Lou or the club owner in a scheme by Lou to take over the club might be interesting, it gives you another branching path and pets players focus on more Lou if they preferred him or the club owner.
This game is to a point where the finish line is in sight. Still, perhaps I can use your idea in the sequel as it will have some returning characters!

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Wendy, all you need is one link (e.g. MEGA), then we report this thread about the update and an uploader or moderator will take care of the rest. Please go back to rest and have a quick recovery (y).
I totally agree.
WendyTheRed, you should take all the time you need to recover.

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
Do you remember where in the game you get that information? It's hard to find some of these bugs because the game is so large and in Visual Studio Code is broken up into lots of different files.
You can just open the html-file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and search through that. It's in the section labeled pid="363" name="Secretary First Friday 2".

Reactions: ffive

CutieLvr

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2020
View attachment 1640717

Overview:
Shadows Over Solomon Falls is an erotic game inspired by TV shows like Twin Peaks, Haven, Fringe and other horror mystery or sci-fi shows. It is set in the small town of Solomon Falls. You play a woman (there is also an alternate transgender start) whom you can name and arrive in town to solve the mysterious disappearance of a girl named Lisa Patterson.

You quickly discover all is not as it seems and solving her disappearance may be your only chance to stop the slow corruption of the town and yourself before it is too late!​

Thread Updated: 2024-03-07
Release Date: 2024-02-09
Developer: Wendythered - - - - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.4
Language: English
Genre:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

Would love to see the MC wearing sluttier and sluttier clothing even outside and especially at the Gentleman's Club. She is forced to take drugs to lower her resistance even more. Can she be forced into bestiality? Will she be gangbanged. Amber should become her sleep mate and lover at home. Both women should sleep naked in each other's arms at night. The story writing is awesome, I couldn't stop from start to finish. Any chance of implementing animations? The characters in the story are wonderful. Lisa's father should be a sex target and the sheriff too.

ffive

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2022
If i'm reading the script right, it's part of this passage: tw-passagedata pid="363" name="Secretary First Friday 2" more specifically under Encourage him to continue. To add to what gregers mentioned, i think you can also search for a string in VS Code and it'll scan through all files in the project, so if you enter e.g. .pushUnique("lisa20") in the search box it will find all (in this case just one) instances in the project where this command is invoked:

1709901034068.png

Reactions: gregers

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
If i'm reading the script right, it's part of this passage: tw-passagedata pid="363" name="Secretary First Friday 2" more specifically under Encourage him to continue. To add to what gregers mentioned, i think you can also search for a string in VS Code and it'll scan through all files in the project, so if you enter e.g. .pushUnique("lisa20") in the search box it will find all (in this case just one) instances in the project where this command is invoked:

View attachment 3422277
secretary first friday 2 is exactly what I needed. In the uncompiled game that's actually a separate file. And the search, as far as I can figure out, only works in one file, I don't know how to make it search all the files in a project.

You can just open the html-file in a text editor (e.g. Notepad++) and search through that. It's in the section labeled pid="363" name="Secretary First Friday 2".
Thank you, that never occured to me. I feel a bit silly.

Reactions: gregers

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Would love to see the MC wearing sluttier and sluttier clothing even outside and especially at the Gentleman's Club. She is forced to take drugs to lower her resistance even more. Can she be forced into bestiality? Will she be gangbanged. Amber should become her sleep mate and lover at home. Both women should sleep naked in each other's arms at night. The story writing is awesome, I couldn't stop from start to finish. Any chance of implementing animations? The characters in the story are wonderful. Lisa's father should be a sex target and the sheriff too.
Beastiality: No, since I use Patron and they'd shut me down. If I ever switch over to SubscribeStar or have a separate version on SubscribeStar or something I might do it. I have nothing against it myself.

Gangbanged: I've considered it, though lately I've had troubles where Daz is drawing a ton of power to the point it makes my UPS beep and actually shut my computer down once. The bigger the scene, the more likely it is to happen.

Animations: I experimented with these. There are a couple of problems. 1) You can make cheesy ones by subtly altering poses and just repeating them. I think we've all seen those in games. They look corny to me. 2) I could buy canned animations and render them. The downside is, I'd be at the mercy of whatever I find and buy. And that can get expensive of course. 3) I find someone who knows a better way to do it and is willing to do it. Problem is, I'm not exactly making money off of the game so can't hire someone. I make enough to pay down a debt I have and to buy poses, outfits, etc that go back into the game and that's about it.

• Red Heart
Reactions: CutieLvr
4.90 star(s) 11 Votes