Keep the existing jobs or have the PC become a fulltime detective in week 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
They are. I always get annoyed when saves aren't compatible though I do understand it. My next game will probably be in Ren'py and I've seen that happen a lot in Ren'py games. I hope I can avoid it!
Will only happen if the developer upgrades from version 7 to version 8 of Renpy (which no longer supports 32-bit systems and thousands of other things) in the middle of the game development.
If you develop the whole game in the same version, either 7 or 8, you will almost never have problems with saves.

Reactions: WendyTheRed

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Another source of incompatible saves is that users install a mod for version x, and the resulting saves then don't work for version x without an updated version of the mod...

But generally, save incompatibility should be easy to avoid in renpy unless one does really out-there stuff.

(Edit: The other source of save incompatibility is of course "remade the whole chapter, start a new game"... but that's more of creative choice. And one could still make the saves compatible by detecting old saves and then changing variables/asking the player to make choices, if one really wanted)

Last edited:
Reactions: WendyTheRed

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
One thing I thought broke saves in Ren'py was adding new variables to an existing game? I'll probably do my best to avoid that. In Solomon Falls my primary way to avoid that is having objects and arrays I can add new stuff to if needed, the two biggest being "events" and "player".

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
One thing I thought broke saves in Ren'py was adding new variables to an existing game? I'll probably do my best to avoid that. In Solomon Falls my primary way to avoid that is having objects and arrays I can add new stuff to if needed, the two biggest being "events" and "player".
What kind of game will the next one be? Fantasy, supernatural, sci-fi, vanilla, harem etc.

Reactions: Melmoth99

gregers

Forum Fanatic
Dec 9, 2018
One thing I thought broke saves in Ren'py was adding new variables to an existing game? I'll probably do my best to avoid that
You can add new variables without any trouble as long as you make sure to declare them e.g. at the start of a new chapter or wherever they're going to come into effect. Of course if it's a new variable that you want to add into already existing content that's a different matter.

Reactions: Kagarus

JKrieger

Oct 2, 2022
Approximately how long do you think the game will be, Wendy? A week left to go (in-game, obviously)? Two?

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
You can add new variables without any trouble as long as you make sure to declare them e.g. at the start of a new chapter or wherever they're going to come into effect. Of course if it's a new variable that you want to add into already existing content that's a different matter.
Yeah, and even the latter can be handled with a bit of immersion breaking and care. For example,
1. Declare the new variable with default (as it should be done anyway) and set it to some value it won't have latter on
2. At the edited content, change the variable depending on the decision
3. In the new content when you want to refer to the previous decision, check first if variable still has the default value, and if so, ask the player what decision they made

Of course this only works if the decision has to be made, if it's for example a decision in an optional event in a sandbox (or the new content can be seen before seeing the old one), that's a bit trickier since you'd have some way of knowing whether the player saw that event (possibly by checking other variables) or ask the player if they saw the event.

Anyway, Renpy has come a long way, and a significant portion of modern renpy games release episodically, so while one should take care, save compatibility isn't something to be too worried about :)

Last edited:

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
Approximately how long do you think the game will be, Wendy? A week left to go (in-game, obviously)? Two?
The game is going to end sooner than I originally planned for various reasons. Right now it is looking like it will end on the upcoming in-game Sunday. So about 5 more in-game days.

What kind of game will the next one be? Fantasy, supernatural, sci-fi, vanilla, harem etc.
The next game will be a sequel, set in the same town with a new protagonist and some returning characters. For the next game I will need to decide which ending to build off of as my current game will have multiple endings ranging from worst (bad guys win 100%) to best (good guys win 100%) with some minor variations for which love interest the protagonist picked to be "the one".

May 20, 2022
personally I love sequels that follow the players choices from the prior title but i also know that entails a workload that many never want or would wish on anyone

PickerLewd

Dec 22, 2022
The game is going to end sooner than I originally planned for various reasons. Right now it is looking like it will end on the upcoming in-game Sunday. So about 5 more in-game days.
Wow, I didn't expect that at all :cry:. I just hope it doesn't end with a cliffhanger.
The next game will be a sequel, set in the same town with a new protagonist and some returning characters.
We can only hope that this new protagonist will be as charismatic as our favourite redhead.

WendyTheRed

Game Developer
May 30, 2017
personally I love sequels that follow the players choices from the prior title but i also know that entails a workload that many never want or would wish on anyone
When I was first working on the sequel I debated having something like a questionnaire when the game started where people could select a default ending or what their ending was. But I realized that'd be pretty much impossible since the endings I have in mind will have a pretty wild divergence. So I knew I'd just have to choose one and make it super, super clear it's not the "canon" ending but merely the one I thought would work best for a sequel. I don't want people to feel like their ending isn't the real one, so to speak.

Wow, I didn't expect that at all :cry:. I just hope it doesn't end with a cliffhanger.

We can only hope that this new protagonist will be as charismatic as our favourite redhead.
I've attached a work in progress version of the new protagonist. My Patrons did some voting on various aspects of her. I'm still not 100% happy with her if I'm honest but I do like her quite a bit. And no, it won't end on a cliffhanger!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

kiljaeden

Jun 2, 2019
When I was first working on the sequel I debated having something like a questionnaire when the game started where people could select a default ending or what their ending was. But I realized that'd be pretty much impossible since the endings I have in mind will have a pretty wild divergence. So I knew I'd just have to choose one and make it super, super clear it's not the "canon" ending but merely the one I thought would work best for a sequel. I don't want people to feel like their ending isn't the real one, so to speak.

I've attached a work in progress version of the new protagonist. My Patrons did some voting on various aspects of her. I'm still not 100% happy with her if I'm honest but I do like her quite a bit. And no, it won't end on a cliffhanger!

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
If you choose an ending for the sequel, others will be non-canon regardless of what you say to players. You won't make a game for other endings. I think Fallout does this the best. You can destroy the foundations of NCR in the beginning of the first game but 99% of the players know that this can't be canon. Same thing with Fallout 2, you can massacre the NCR or San Francisco but you know what you are doing is only for fun. It's okay to choose an ending and go with it. Especially if you are invested in this universe and will keep making games based in it.
Other option is Witcher games. Endings don't matter, at least most of them. Ciri will survive for sure but other choices won't matter probably. They barely affect the next game. This doesn't fit to your game though, everything will happen in the same town. Witcher games are set in different places.

slavegal

Apr 17, 2020

t 100% happy with her if I'm honest but I do like her quite a bit. And no, it won't end on a cliffhanger!
just give a vague ending :LOL:so players will have their own perception. You don't have to please everyone as a writer; you just need to capitulate readers by outwitting them, making them flabbergasted, dumbfounded, and mind-boggled.

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Get well soon! And well, should go without saying, but don't worry too much about delaying - better to rest one day longer than necessary than to rush too soon and develop complications. Self-exploitation is not a laughing matter.

Which isn't to say we ain't waiting for the next update with bated breath, it's just that there are priorities :)

Reactions: Melmoth99
4.90 star(s) 12 Votes