Shen10

Jun 21, 2018
And yet none of these games was released to public at such stages to play. There been enough early access, Patreon and not, games where the initial pitch was what made people buy into it, but as time went on it changed to something else upsetting people. There is enough games on this site to take examples from in that regard. Tbh, I really like it when a creator got a set story to tell, rather than make it up as they go, or get influenced to much by the desires of the audience. I guess Dual Family can be a example of that. Throwing fast curvballs to the audience out of nowhere can be a way to alienante the people you want to capture.
i dont think the make it up as they go, i am fairly sure they have the major points set in stone. when you are writing a game with choice and concequence i think you have to go a little by little on the specific paths. but this is very small developers, probaly doing it mostly in their freetime maybe hoping one day it can bring them fulltime from patreon supporters. they cant work 2 years and then release a more or less finished game, they dont have the rescources to do that. i think people need to understand the inviroment in which these games are made. 1. they are mostly free games, with the patreons being a version ahead of the general public. 2 they have by default a very limited audience as things are right now. 3. they had usualy very limited rescources to make them. its not like you make a good adult game you are a millionare, even summertime saga dont rake in that much cash and thats the number one adult game in development(as far as i know).
At the moment Kaffekop is sitting at
patrons

$581
per month

hardly numbers that scream millionare.

Thierry29

Jun 3, 2017
ok ok so.... Mom isn't my mom and I'm not related to sisters......

hummmmmmmmm, I look the front door..... I'm the only owner of the house..... What "mom" and "sisters" would do for staying in my house..... Mouahhahahahaha I'm the vilain !!!!!

Ignatz

What's the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow
Donor
Feb 17, 2018
Hey there and thank you all for playing the latest build of my project.

I knew that no one would see that cliffhanger coming and neither should you. It was meant to surprise you and from the looks of it – it did just that.
Now, I’m going to take a little time to address some of the concerns that have been voiced here, in no particular order and probably not all of them. This may turn into a long post but try and stick around.

Concerning family relations: The whole Mary-Nat-Jo-mc situation is as it should be. This has nothing to do with Patreon and their crusade. I haven’t been contacted by them in any way to change anything. It is supposed to be this way.

Incest: In my experience there are two groups of incest players. I call them: the purist and the casuals. The purists can only be satisfied with blood relations and sees everything else as nonsense. The casuals accept that, for all intents and purposes, step(anything) counts as family.
I knew that the revelation in this update was going to piss off the purists amongst you and the decision to throw this curveball now was not an easy one. I would have waited quite a while longer, but a friend convinced me, not from a story point of view but from a backers point of view, that it was time to throw it now.
For those of you who have been following me from the beginning you probably know that I hate giving away anything related to the plot or story. I will make an exception here just for the purists amongst you:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Throwing the curveball this early in the development cycle has shaken the foundation of the story a bit and I’m in the process of rewriting it to make it fit this new, and faster development of the family thing.

Removal of choice: This is a difficult one to explain, but when I was coding 0.3 I had an epiphany and added the choice of “not investigating the fathers death”. The story did not warrant such a choice and it was first later, that I realized what I had done, but by then it had been released. I tried to make it fit in, but it just didn’t want to without having to introduce a whole new story arch and the story is long and complicated enough as it is. Hence the removal of the choice.

WIP: This is a work in progress and mistakes are bound to happen no matter how much I plan for it not to happen. In the beginning I used Unity and I really had a tough time abandoning it in favor of Ren’py. For those of you who have been with me from the get go, you probably remember the reason why I opted for Unity: The visual editor with drag’n drop functionality. At the same time conditional statements and even functions could be created without me knowing anything about coding. Ren’py is a different beast altogether.
On the Ren’py scale from one to ten of how proficient I am with it, I’d rate myself at 0.5 so there is a long way to go for me.
As I grow more accustomed to Ren’py and hopefully more skilled, the code will probably change. If it will force further replays upon the player, I haven’t got the foggiest, but it’s a good bet that it will.

Okay, this is already too long, so I’m going to stop my ranting now. I hope that this clears up a few things and explains others. Also bear in mind that his is not the finished game, so seemingly loose ends and plot holes will be tied up (or down) as we progress through the story.

Now I’ll shut up and go fiddle with the script.

Cheers - Kaffekop
Funny, I didn't even think about incest/non-incest, I was simply following the story. I think that speaks to the immersion and quality you've created in developing the game. Kudos for that.

While I find the revelation jarring, especially topless, it doesn't change the relationship structure as being currently built, only the perversity of it. At least, I hope it doesn't.

I'd like to think you're enough of a honest storyteller that everyone doesn't suddenly start thinking, "Oh, we're not related, let's start humping". People can't simply flip a switch on beliefs and behaviors they've had their entire life. They may not be related, but they are most certainly "related". That will take some time to grasp, in addition to the reveletory shock.

This puts a lot of pressure on you, Kop, to produce. You've kept your standards for story pretty high, so it will be interesting to see how you deliver on this. Since you planned for this originally, I feel comfortable waiting for your future surprises and ultimate resolution.

-DarkHorizon-

Jul 20, 2018
I guess I should count myself among the purists here. I think that many who enjoy inc stories do so for the taboo factor, and because it adds another complex layer compared to normal relationships. Now one could argue about stepcest, but I don't think it's taboo. it may raise a few eyebrows, but it would generally be accepted.

I'm not too hung up on the fact that the Mom isn't the MC's mother, as I didn't really found her that attractive, but I do hope that Jo at least is a half-sibling of our MC. She's the one that really grabs me. And about Nathalie, I believe she's either the Mom's daughter, niece, or little sister.

If I sound critical here, then it is because I actually got a bit invested in this (which is good, I hope) and if the Dev has a clear picture of what story he wants to tell, than that's also good. Now whether I'll like that story will be another matter.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

petedragon

May 4, 2017
Was quite enjoying what may or may not have turned into a nice little incest fest, but now? You naughty naughty dev fancy leaving us at such a cliffhanger. Not bothered if they are related or not now, just want more of this intriguingly devious plot to unfurl. A very good well thought out visual novel, plenty of sex but still keeping the main targets at arms length. Love it.

Reactions: filochard

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
I guess I should count myself among the purists here. I think that many who enjoy inc stories do so for the taboo factor, and because it adds another complex layer compared to normal relationships. Now one could argue about stepcest, but I don't think it's taboo. it may raise a few eyebrows, but it would generally be accepted.

I'm not too hung up on the fact that the Mom isn't the MC's mother, as I didn't really found her that attractive, but I do hope that Jo at least is a half-sibling of our MC. She's the one that really grabs me. And about Nathalie, I believe she's either the Mom's daughter, niece, or little sister.

If I sound critical here, then it is because I actually got a bit invested in this (which is good, I hope) and if the Dev has a clear picture of what story he wants to tell, than that's also good. Now whether I'll like that story will be another matter.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Hadgar

Eerie Entity

❤︎ Victoria Shields' One True Love ❤︎
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2018
Walkthrough for 0.5.
Now this is much appreciated, gonna need this when I'm going to play the VN more thoroughly and more focused on single routes, so far been playing with a gut feeling, so thanks for this :)

4.10 star(s) 66 Votes