AB67

Jun 14, 2018
I have a question loosely related to the game. Is it normal for 18 yr old Americans to refer to their education as "school" and to wear school uniform?

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
I have a question loosely related to the game. Is it normal for 18 yr old Americans to refer to their education as "school" and to wear school uniform?
No it is not on both accounts.

Only private school have uniforms but not all of them, (about 50/50) and very few normal school has somewhat of a uniform code.
Only about 10% of normal schools have a set uniform but its normally something like color of pants and shirts and its up to the parents to get the color.

If it is high school then they say its high school, if it is collage then they say collage.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Short answer - yes to both.

No it is not on both accounts.

Only private school have uniforms but not all of them, (about 50/50) and very few normal school has somewhat of a uniform code.
Only about 10% of normal schools have a set uniform but its normally something like color of pants and shirts and its up to the parents to get the color.

If it is high school then they say its high school, if it is collage then they say collage.
Amost every school has a dress code. Don't see too many people walking around in tattered short shorts. Taking your 50/50 private school uniform stat as true, that would still be "normal". Half the private schools have uniforms? OK, then uniforms are pretty common. There were about 7500 Catholic schools in 2006-2007. They wear uniforms. I'd call that "normal". Source:

Everyone I've talked to about schooling uses "school" for any level. For example (made up) - "Where do you go to school?" "At the U of D".

Reactions: riktor and L30

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
goobdoob
The question was "Is it normal for 18 yr old Americans to refer to their education as "school"

Question: Where do you go to shcool?
Answer: xxx High School or XXX University or like you say U of D.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
goobdoob
The question was "Is it normal for 18 yr old Americans to refer to their education as "school"

Question: Where do you go to shcool?
Answer: xxx High School or XXX University or like you say U of D.
"What did you do today?"
"I went to school."

Not "I went to high school" or "I went to university."

See definition #1 at . Merriam-Webster - the original American English dictionary.

AB67

Jun 14, 2018
I guess I can ask the question differently - Rachel and Miley are clearly in some form of education below University level and Miley wears a uniform. I know little about the US education system, but where I'm from they'd have left "school" and gone to "college" at age 16 (and then University at 18). Colleges would have a dress code but not a formal uniform like Miley wears.

ILCjr

Dec 27, 2018
I guess I can ask the question differently - Rachel and Miley are clearly in some form of education below University level and Miley wears a uniform. I know little about the US education system, but where I'm from they'd have left "school" and gone to "college" at age 16 (and then University at 18). Colleges would have a dress code but not a formal uniform like Miley wears.
The premise is that you are in your senior year of High School when you reach 18.

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
High school is four years, generally ends at 18. Then students go to college, though a lot of them are actually called universities. I believe there's a legal definition for when a college is allowed to call itself a university, but either way it's essentially interchangeable. One goes to a college, OR to a university. Not college followed by university. [Unless one gets a degree from a college, then furthers their education with a graduate degree or PhD, which are usually from universities. I think the ability to offer Masters and PhDs may be one of the legal distinctions between a college and a university in the States. But most people get that first degree from a university anyway.]
And the overall experience is called "college," a university is the educational establishment. I have never heard anyone refer to University in that generic way without an article, unless it's part of an institution's name. "I am in high school," yes. "I am in college," yes. "I am in university" or "I am in a university", never. Students may go to a place that's officially a University, but they'll only refer to it as a university if they're using the whole name; otherwise, it's college. Dress codes vary from university to university, but I've never heard of one that has an actual uniform. (Except for maybe military schools like West Point.)

See, if your country had those two extra years of school like we do, maybe you'd know more. [Just kidding, I'm being a jerk on purpose. I have no ill-will towards anyone's educational system.]

Last edited:
Reactions: DorcasAurelia

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
In the US, there are couple of different paths. Public and private school, which each typically have their own set of rules. Each State (50 of those, and several territories) are tasked with determining what is considered adequate in terms of education to receive a diploma (colloquially known as a high school diploma). Children are mandated (via truancy laws) to go to school from the age of about 5 through 18. The grades are Kindergarten (age 5), then 1 through 12. K-5 are typically called Elementary school. 6-8 are typically called Middle School or Jr. High School. 9-12 are High School. Once you get your Diploma, you are permitted to go to college (Or to a University), or attend a trade school.

From a Public vs. Private school perspective, School uniforms are typically not required at Public schools. Most have dress codes (no holes in jeans, must cover your midriff, no obscene language on t-shirts, etc.) but don't have a true uniform. Some have due to violence (people beating up other kids as they have better sneakers or something like that). Private schools are typically attached to an external institution, and in the US, a majority are the Catholic Church. Most private schools require students to wear uniforms (navy slacks/skirts, white shirts). Most schools don't require ties or jackets/vests/sweaters/jumpers as other countries do.

I hope this answers your questions. Again these are generalizations, and I know some people might have different experiences based on geography. I have lived in 6 states (while in school), and also lived overseas (while in middle school) so I know the comparisons. Each school district, each county, each state has different rules, so again, these are broad generalizations.

*Edited for spelling because typing is hard :)

Last edited:
Reactions: DorcasAurelia

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
High school is four years, generally ends at 18. Then students go to college, though a lot of them are actually called universities. I believe there's a legal definition for when a college is allowed to call itself a university, but either way it's essentially interchangeable. One goes to a college, OR to a university. Not college followed by university. [Unless one gets a degree from a college, then furthers their education with a graduate degree or PhD, which are usually from universities. I think the ability to offer Masters and PhDs may be one of the legal distinctions between a college and a university in the States. But most people get that first degree from a university anyway.]
And the overall experience is called "college," a university is the educational establishment. I have never heard anyone refer to University in that generic way without an article, unless it's part of an institution's name. "I am in high school," yes. "I am in college," yes. "I am in university" or "I am in a university", never. Students may go to a place that's officially a University, but they'll only refer to it as a university if they're using the whole name; otherwise, it's college. Dress codes vary from university to university, but I've never heard of one that has an actual uniform. (Except for maybe military schools like West Point.)

See, if your country had those two extra years of school like we do, maybe you'd know more. [Just kidding, I'm being a jerk on purpose. I have no ill-will towards anyone's educational system.]
The difference between college and university is that a university is a collection of colleges. A college is a collection of very similar degrees, while a university campus has many colleges. Sometimes universities call colleges "schools". So for example, one of my alma mater has a school of business, school of science, school of liberal arts, etc. but the overall place where 45k students go is XXXXX University. Within the school of business you might have 15 degrees (marketing, accounting, etc.), but they won't be the same as any degrees as the school of science (physics, chemistry, etc.).

Just letting you know, as I am feeling helpful at the moment.

Yakis0ba

Aug 7, 2017
The difference between college and university is that a university is a collection of colleges. A college is a collection of very similar degrees, while a university campus has many colleges. Sometimes universities call colleges "schools". So for example, one of my alma mater has a school of business, school of science, school of liberal arts, etc. but the overall place where 45k students go is XXXXX University. Within the school of business you might have 15 degrees (marketing, accounting, etc.), but they won't be the same as any degrees as the school of science (physics, chemistry, etc.).

Just letting you know, as I am feeling helpful at the moment.
Makes sense.
And you should be feeling helpful, because you ARE helpful!

4.50 star(s) 329 Votes