HTML Sluttown USA: Hometown Corruption [v0.37.2] [AmusingOddity]

3.60 star(s) 26 Votes

ultadonis

May 29, 2019
New to the game. You've done a great job. I can't seem to get past character progress level 8 with AJ. Every time I go to her, it says I need to wait until she is finished with the homework

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
Her progression is tied to other character progression and events at various points. Where are you with progress with Alex and with the boyfriend?

New to the game. You've done a great job. I can't seem to get past character progress level 8 with AJ. Every time I go to her, it says I need to wait until she is finished with the homework

ultadonis

May 29, 2019
I'm at the part where Alex is away for a few weeks helping a family member. She's at character progress 8. Thank you for the quick reply.
Her progression is tied to other character progression and events at various points. Where are you with progress with Alex and with the boyfriend?

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
You may be at the point where you have to wait until Alex gets back before you can progress AJ.

I'm at the part where Alex is away for a few weeks helping a family member. She's at character progress 8. Thank you for the quick reply.

ultadonis

May 29, 2019
Never mind. I finally got the final scene to play. It only became available once I progressed with Alex a lot

Family Fun

Nov 9, 2020
Hit F12 and your browser will pop up a Javascript console window to the right of the VN. I'm going to paste this screenshot of my chromium with the javascript console open. Note that I've already done the things that I will talk about next.
View attachment 1341295

The first thing I did was type "Sugarcube.State.variables.charge" at the ">" prompt in that window and hit enter. That returns a 0 which is the current charge on the phone as you can see in the content window as "Charge: 0". Note that as you type, the console will automatically populate a popdown list with possible completions. So after typing only "Sugar" I can just hit the right arrow key and it will fill that out as "SugarCube". Then I typed ".State.var" and that was enough to let me hit the right arrow key again to have it fill out "variables". So you don't have to type all this everytime and worry about it being incorrect.

I hit the "up arrow" key to recall all of that and just typed "=40" to set it to 40. Note that the content window on the left is in suspended animation while the console is open. So that "Charge: 0" won't change to "Charge: 40" until after I close the console window by clicking the "x" gadget in its upper right and then click something to go into the next passage.

I did "up arrow" again and then used backspace to erase the ".charge". This showed all of the variables in effect for the VN but as a "closed two line tree between "{" and "}" with a small ellipses "..." at the very right. To open it up as the full scrollable list I clicked on that "..." and we see the first page full of variables and values. I can now use "up arrow" and then type out individual variable names to peek and then use "=" with a new value to poke.

Congratulations. You now know how to hack 95% of Twine games since just about everybody uses SugarCube format and don't know how to change where the variable storage is hidden.
THANK YOU!!!
The mini-games are so awful. Not the distraction I'm looking for when I start this game.

JC9750

Sep 18, 2017
Hit F12 and your browser will pop up a Javascript console window to the right of the VN. I'm going to paste this screenshot of my chromium with the javascript console open. Note that I've already done the things that I will talk about next.
View attachment 1341295

The first thing I did was type "Sugarcube.State.variables.charge" at the ">" prompt in that window and hit enter. That returns a 0 which is the current charge on the phone as you can see in the content window as "Charge: 0". Note that as you type, the console will automatically populate a popdown list with possible completions. So after typing only "Sugar" I can just hit the right arrow key and it will fill that out as "SugarCube". Then I typed ".State.var" and that was enough to let me hit the right arrow key again to have it fill out "variables". So you don't have to type all this everytime and worry about it being incorrect.

I hit the "up arrow" key to recall all of that and just typed "=40" to set it to 40. Note that the content window on the left is in suspended animation while the console is open. So that "Charge: 0" won't change to "Charge: 40" until after I close the console window by clicking the "x" gadget in its upper right and then click something to go into the next passage.

I did "up arrow" again and then used backspace to erase the ".charge". This showed all of the variables in effect for the VN but as a "closed two line tree between "{" and "}" with a small ellipses "..." at the very right. To open it up as the full scrollable list I clicked on that "..." and we see the first page full of variables and values. I can now use "up arrow" and then type out individual variable names to peek and then use "=" with a new value to poke.

Congratulations. You now know how to hack 95% of Twine games since just about everybody uses SugarCube format and don't know how to change where the variable storage is hidden.
It does not work for me at the moment.
I did all off the steps above, but keep getting an error when hitting enter.
Can someone help?
Thanks

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
What browser? What part of the guide are you trying to follow? What error? We can't read minds.

It does not work for me at the moment.
I did all off the steps above, but keep getting an error when hitting enter.
Can someone help?
Thanks

relynk

Aug 26, 2017
adding my save here, most of the stuff is done except for the hacker which for some reason the option to hire her never appears :/. Please let me know if I screwed up some variable somewhere!

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
To get to hiring the hacker you have to get a couple of pre-reqs out of the way.

First, you need to meet your aunt and cousin Elliott. Then you need to progress Elliott a stage or two in order to see a new option "learn how to code" alongside the charge the phone option in your room in the evening.

Progress the code skill a few levels (comment to self about "I feel I'm getting better with this") either by playing the minigame or auto resolving it with success.

Hello Klitty will contact you automatically by taking over your desktop at home after seeing your phone charging app using the college network and thus intruding on what she considers her home turf.

The moral of the story is that people who just console cheese the charge and not use the coding and charging minigames or autoresolving will never see her. I don't remember off the top of my head what skill level number you need to cheese for coding in the console before it will allow the charging event to trigger her.

adding my save here, most of the stuff is done except for the hacker which for some reason the option to hire her never appears :/. Please let me know if I screwed up some variable somewhere!

konabwo

Engaged Member
Sep 19, 2020
is jessica bugged? AmusingOddity

i cannot call her (I already implanted a suggestion msg every day) ...and when using a device it hints to call her to office
jesstory 9, Hlp8, xp 29 (same max) <- some variables for reference
* i use 0.6save or so ...or i could have tweaked something but cannot figure out.

Last edited:

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
She was fine the last time I did a playtest, but it has been a while since AO has done anything with her.

is jessica bugged?
i cannot call her (" I already implanted a suggestion " msg every day ) ...andwhen using a device it hints to call her to office
* i use 0.6save or so ...or i could have tweaked something but cannot figure out.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
You also need to progress with the hacker before getting the idea to find a web host. To meet and progress the hacker, you need to meet your cousin and get the idea to start coding. So there's a couple of dependencies you might have missed for this.

how to upload the vids of xev? cannot find an option to do this

HenryScores

Dec 6, 2020
I've tried downloading this a couple of times, but every time I open the file, the pictures aren't loading. I tried unpacking the images in different locations, but nothing seems to work.

phupdup

Oct 24, 2019
When you unpack the zip file from the 'all' download on the OP, you should have a top level folder for sluttown with the html file and a folder called Images. There should be a whole tree of subfolders under Images. If this is what you have, odds are your browser isn't able to display all of the multimedia content. While there's the standard gif and jpg formats that every browser in the world should be able to handle, AO has been including webp and webm formats. These are free to use formats owned by Google that are provided in response to attempts by the owners of the MP4 and other standards to collect rent on media companies and the internet. Since M$ and Apple are in the rent seeker consortium, their standard browsers don't support webp and webm out of the box. Look for plugins for your native browser or use open standards browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Chromium.

I've tried downloading this a couple of times, but every time I open the file, the pictures aren't loading. I tried unpacking the images in different locations, but nothing seems to work.

AmusingOddity

Game Developer
May 11, 2021
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Everyone at work has been getting sick so I've been under the gun to get this months update done(should go up here later today).

I just looked at your save and I think i see what's breaking the Hacker trigger. Reset max charge to 5 and play through the mini games to get it up to 6. Then charge the app and her intro should trigger. Let me know if this doesn't work.

3.60 star(s) 26 Votes