Who are your favorite characters in SnowStorm ?

• Astrja, the blacksmith and chief's daughter (Wolves)

Votes: 3,650 45.1%
  • Candrid, the mischievous assassin (Bears)

Votes: 1,425 17.6%
  • Nox, the beautiful lady/witch (Ravens)

Votes: 2,905 35.9%
  • Mathilda, the elegant and haughty archer (Wolves)

Votes: 2,222 27.5%
  • Yrsa, the curious and welcoming redhead (Bears)

Votes: 1,945 24.0%
  • Lizgard, the shy bodyguard of Nox (Ravens)

Votes: 1,700 21.0%
  • Astrid, the lively little sister (Wolves)

Votes: 2,563 31.7%
  • Sonja, the mighty barbarian (Bears)

Votes: 1,802 22.3%
  • Katja, the hunter of the Raven's lair (Ravens)

Votes: 787 9.7%

• Total voters

Lolas Razor

Mar 19, 2022
GleenXstudio

Dear Dev of Snowfall,
where does the word "Bókk" you use in sections of this game originate from and what does it mean?
even my icelandic teacher, who is a scandinavist and speaks also Old Norse, Nynorsk, Bokmål, Swedish, German, English and Afrikaans couldnt help me here.

Last edited:

Lolas Razor

Mar 19, 2022
GleenXstudio

Dear Dev of Snowfall,
where does the word "Bókk" you use in sections of this game originate from and what does it mean?
not even my icelandic teacher, who is a scandinavist and speaks also Old Norse, Nynorsk, Bokmål, Swedish, German, English and Afrikaans couldnt help me here.
all he was able to tell me is that if it is old norse / icelandic - it must be from before the 13th century. something about history of germanic languages and how they collapsed in the 11th century

Lolas Razor

Mar 19, 2022
it means book! the old scandinavians did not had books,
technically speaking very few people did they used parchments
so when the MC is trying to say he will write a book...

in that culture he should have said to sing an epic (or a saga!)
or put a saga to written word
(which at the time most of the times meant sculpting or carving it in stone!)

if he wanted to be accurate probably create a poem or a story on a parchment!

the only books back then ... well its the book, only the bible was created in a book form!

ink and paper were more expensive then gold (and far less durable...)!
paper specifically, if the ancients could see how we use toillet paper
they would thinks us the wealthiest of nations and people... and proceed to pillage us!
you sure its book? book in icelandic and old icelandic as well is "bok". so its neither of these languages. wich wouldnt make it very coherent as the rest is pretty much icelandic, altough very formal at times

plus its used in a way, that it would not make any sense if it indeed meant book.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Warscared

GleenXstudio

EraStorm Dev
Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
GleenXstudio

Dear Dev of Snowfall,
not even my icelandic teacher, who is a scandinavist and speaks also Old Norse, Nynorsk, Bokmål, Swedish, German, English and Afrikaans couldnt help me here.
Since I'm not a native viking :whistle: , I'm getting help from this website when I need to write some "Old Norse".

According to them, it should mean "thanks", and the correct spelling is : þǫkk, þökk, þokk

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
I'm no linguist, but "B" and "þ" look to be different letters (not simply upper/lower case of the same letter) in the language from which that word was derived.

But I'll let the experts weigh in on that.

Reactions: HentaiGamerN00b

GleenXstudio

EraStorm Dev
Game Developer
Dec 22, 2018
Certainly, but the font I'm using doesn't have all those special characters so I'm picking the closest letter available.
I don't pretend to teach Old Norse, neither History with the game though... I could have used completely random words, I try to keep a close context for better immersion, but please don't take the game as historically accurate. It's not the case. Especially the clothes :ROFLMAO:

HentaiGamerN00b

Sep 6, 2020
Certainly, but the font I'm using doesn't have all those special characters so I'm picking the closest letter available.
I don't pretend to teach Old Norse, neither History with the game though... I could have used completely random words, I try to keep a close context for better immersion, but please don't take the game as historically accurate. It's not the case. Especially the clothes :ROFLMAO:
Mmm... Your comment makes me think... The live of that town could be considered accurate or just for the sake of the story the people are segregated by the color of their hair or at least the way of life of the raven clan are inspired of some people of that region in the world? To me the ravens are pretty way communist...

Antoher thing, the version before v0.3.5 i forget to comment but, with the raven the girl that serves as a "cow" (in a sense...) i don't see the sex scene followed if MC agree to solve her "dry problem". I played using a compressed version, so i don't know if it was a trouble for that or if it was in the original file too, i can't test it because my PC it's in essence a potato pc, and even the compressed version isn't enough compressed specially in the animated opening (I must say video?) that follows to show start, load, preferences... Because it lags a hell my pc, and if the compressed version can do that, i don't want to test the original version to contrast...

Lolas Razor

Mar 19, 2022
Since I'm not a native viking :whistle: , I'm getting help from this website when I need to write some "Old Norse".

According to them, it should mean "thanks", and the correct spelling is : þǫkk, þökk, þokk
maybe i can do my part then :D

the old norse "þokk" is nowadays "takk" wich is conformly used all over scandinavia as "thanks" *sidenote for the murcas here : finnland is not scandinavia.

the letter "þ" is a leftover from the runic alphabet and is named Thorn which is spoken as an unpronounced "th" like in "thanks".if you have to substitute it use "th" . its used in modern icelandic aswell, altough only at the beginnig of words. in modern icelandic, when not at the beginning of a word it gets substituted with the letter "ð" which is named "Eth". if you have to substitute it use "d".

on a further note: dont use the accute o "ò" as a substitute for ö. it has another sound and is confusing.

i would recommend to write it either as, thokk or simply as takk.

thanks for listening to my TED-Talk

also thank you for making this game, its awesome and a breath of fresh air between all the college avns

Last edited:

TheSidewinder

Mar 31, 2020
sidenote for the murcas here : finnland is not scandinavia.
"murican" here... Finland only has one 'n' in US English. And in the State where I live, Finns (here's where two n's are used) are sort of lumped in with Scandinavians (Norway, Sweden, Denmark) since those 4 groups comprised the majority of immigrants to the Northern half of the State in the 1800's.

But the Finns, good-natured folk that they were and are today, really didn't mind others making that mistake. "Oh well, at least they were somewhat close." ;)

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me that "Bókk" is just a loanword fail. An attempt to borrow an English word that just didn't catch on. Like when the Vikings in the story were stealing the books and the Saxons that they were stealing from told them the middle English word bọ̄k when asked the name of what they were stealing. Then again, nobody in the story seems to speak middle English so that theory has one foot out the door.

Reactions: HentaiGamerN00b

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
Quick question...

Do I need to play the first game before I play this one?
There will be a few things that you will understand that you wouldn't otherwise, but since your protagonist suffers from amnesia and only slowly is recovering his memories it might actually be to your advantage to not be aware of the events of the previous game. In other words, dealer's choice.

gotmy223

Jun 4, 2017
Also, searching the thread (top right corner) is very helpful. This has been asked and answered many, many times.
And I'm sure post like this crying about it will appear many, many times in that same search.

Never understood why people like you feel so compelled to police threads in this manner.

Last edited:

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
And I'm sure post like this crying about it will appear many, many times in that same search.

Never understood why people like you feel so compelled to police threads in this manner.
Never understood why people like you feel so compelled to rely on everyone else instead of putting any effort in themselves.

• Haha
Reactions: Twistty
4.30 star(s) 48 Votes