VN Ren'Py Abandoned Something Special [v0.1.13] [WonderGames]

2.20 star(s) 43 Votes

crewfalcons

Donor
May 17, 2017
Thanks a lot for your comment. I gave it some thought (I mean, pacing the updates more rarely). And came to a painful conclusion that I shouldn't fall for it, although it sounds rather tempting. And the trap for me (damn it, it may sound strange, but I'm being honest here), so the trap is that I'm not sure I'll be able to fulfill that kind of responsibility. It's a "marathon" for me. And I'm not trained for it. Let's say, I'll promise 300 renders + kilos of text in 6 month. What would I do, theoretically? I would distribute the work load through all the months equally and start working. I have a lot of time on my hands (half a year!), so if some part of work isn't done within its 'theoretical' deadline, nothing to worry, I still have plenty of time on my hands... And these 'little debts' tend to accumulate with time.
Moreover, different shit in life happens, it also takes time.
So, after six months of waiting, I'm afraid, my patrons would get almost the same amount of renders and texts. And I'm just being honest here, I repeat.
Long distance tends to relax. At least, it affects me this way.
That's why, the tempo I've chosen: one update per month, is more preferable for me. I have clear goals, clear deadlines, and responsibility I can cope with. And it disciplines me, helps me not to lose interest in what I do. I may not achieve much, those may look like baby steps to others, but I take them, take them every single day, and that's what matters for me the most. As well as the interest and trust of my patrons.
Well that's a good approach and sounds like you're determined. I think many devs (from the strictly amateurish, those who do it as a side gig/hobby, or those who want to make it a full time career path) start out enthusiastic and determined but lose sight of the "grind" and commitment it takes to making and developing games. Some get disappointed they aren't posting ICSTOR or Dark Cookie type numbers of patrons right off the bat (not all think this but you do see it in some when they quit after one or two versions).

As long as you have a plan, map out the goals you want to see achieved, stick to what works best for you and not burn yourself out I think you have the right approach then. You'll continue to grow/improve over time and patrons will come as well (y)

Reactions: upyr and mpror

wondergames

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2019
Seems okay so far would like to get to know the girls a little bit better next time though I like Annie and her awkward shyness damn she is going to take a lot of work but she kept her cool while we caught her so I guess it's a step in the right direction, there always seems to be these morning wood seems in games now usually the Mother/Landlady sees it and touches it I wonder if there are any VN's out there that don't include such scenes.
Thanks a lot for your comment.
Yes, you are absolutely right: 'taming' Annie will take time and effort, but it should be an exciting challenge.

Reactions: Mormont

wondergames

Game Developer
Oct 26, 2019
Well that's a good approach and sounds like you're determined. I think many devs (from the strictly amateurish, those who do it as a side gig/hobby, or those who want to make it a full time career path) start out enthusiastic and determined but lose sight of the "grind" and commitment it takes to making and developing games. Some get disappointed they aren't posting ICSTOR or Dark Cookie type numbers of patrons right off the bat (not all think this but you do see it in some when they quit after one or two versions).

As long as you have a plan, map out the goals you want to see achieved, stick to what works best for you and not burn yourself out I think you have the right approach then. You'll continue to grow/improve over time and patrons will come as well (y)
Thank you!
Yes, I believe, numbers (meaning little money) tend to upset developers :(
That's because money somehow has become a sign / proof of appreciation. If figures are high, it means that everybody likes this dev and his game(s). It is partially true, though, because what other sign of appreciation there can be?
And forums, I bet, add a lot to the devs' 'butthurt'. When there are only negative comments, devs must get upset. And to quit whatever they do is a natural desire in such situations. (It's a general observation.)
But I have 'thick skin' and I love developing this game :)

ThunderRob

Devoted Member
May 10, 2018
i like the game..and i'm worth at least 6.827% people :p i'm not a diva..hush..go away..keep doing what you're doing...your fans will stick around and eventually most of the upset people will move on to other games to complain about(only to be replaced by a new group..HAHAAA!!!) we need easy going fun games we can just slide into and not really have to overthink..Triangle was like that..there were whiners in the thread but in the end..the easy going fun nature of the game won and the dev finished it to applause and started his new game...

crewfalcons

Donor
May 17, 2017
Thank you!
Yes, I believe, numbers (meaning little money) tend to upset developers :(
That's because money somehow has become a sign / proof of appreciation. If figures are high, it means that everybody likes this dev and his game(s). It is partially true, though, because what other sign of appreciation there can be?
And forums, I bet, add a lot to the devs' 'butthurt'. When there are only negative comments, devs must get upset. And to quit whatever they do is a natural desire in such situations. (It's a general observation.)
But I have 'thick skin' and I love developing this game :)
Those who don't like something or like to complain in general (referring to people on forums) are usually the loudest detractors and tend to be the most vocal out there (ie Look at something like Yelp reviews, Amazon, or even here for that matter. If someone really feels ticked off or is someone who just likes to complain in life in general, they naturally are the ones who have to let it be known to the world about their displeasure - Not saying you aren't allowed to criticize or give valid critiques, but take it with a grain of salt if it's disapproval or shit talking just because).

Like I said before and how ThunderRob kind of put it - not everything out there has to be an over the top complicated, perplexing, sophisticated, mind boggling hard or complex game. Sometimes simplicity and straightforwardness can be refreshing and a nice change of pace. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next version (y)

Reactions: mpror and Kalkuv

EJW

Jul 13, 2018
could somebody please put the incest patch in something besides mega.

crewfalcons

Donor
May 17, 2017
EJW

There ya go.

Just make sure you delete the numbers before it (should be labeled "incest.rypc") and put it in your game folder.

Lito69

Nov 7, 2019
Around how many minutes of gameplay would you say are in the current version ? Looks great btw, I just don't want to download something that will last me 10 min in the current state.

ILCjr

Dec 27, 2018
I may return in a few updates, right now, some of the dialog just makes me cringe. I am not sure if it is just translation issues, or the dialog needs to be refined as a whole, or if this is just not the kind of game that I would play.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
  1. MC's father just died ;
  2. MC is kicked out of the house by his step-mother who clearly hate him ;
  3. MC end in the house of his parents' best friend ;
  4. The said best friend have a slutty neighbor that his her best friend ;
  5. She's a creator ;
  6. She also have two daughters ;
  7. One of the daughter is open minded, wild and extrovert ;
  8. The other daughter is shy, ashamed of her body, have a low self-esteem and is introvert.
So far, the story have absolutely nothing "special", it's a copy/past of Where The Heart Is' premise.

As for the game mechanism, what the player choose doesn't matter at all. Whatever you decide, you'll see what the author wanted you to see. Even if it mean total incoherence, like by example being naked when Victoria come with the tea, when you decided to keep the boxer on.
Therefore, so far the game itself have absolutely nothing "special". It's not a visual novel, nor an effective game, just a story that will be less and less coherent with the time.

Even the name of the game have been used for a game one year ago.

Sorry wondergames , but the only thing special is the good and pleasant CG, that's all.
It's already something big, but it's not enough. Even if with time the story will evolve and diverge from "Where the heart is", the fact that the choice of the player aren't take in count will make it sunk soon or later, alas.
Remove the choice, or take count of them, your choice.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Finally had a chance to play this, and as some have mentioned before, there are definite similarities with Where The Heart Is when it comes to the characters and the flow of the story so far (basically the very early intro of the game). However, I'm willing to keep interest in this because I want to see how things are played out from now on, and I'm hoping that the story actually goes somewhere different.

We've already seen a little bit of differences in the little sister character. Jenna (WTHI) is shy and body-conscious, but she's also a computer nerd who enjoys watching others, and her story is about hacking. On the other hand, Annie is shy and body-conscious too, but she seems to have more of a phobia about being touched, and so far nothing indicated her being a computer nerd.

So I want to see how this game goes, and I hope it goes into a different way.

One thing that I wished it copied from WTHI is the early kissing. I thought the early kissing in WTHI really opened up the relationship because it already showed the intimacy between characters. I do like being able to grab Kate's ass from the very early on though.

Reactions: botc76
2.20 star(s) 43 Votes