VN Ren'Py Abandoned Something Special [v0.1.13] [WonderGames]

2.20 star(s) 43 Votes

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Hm, yeah, okay. So I guess version 1.6 has never been shared here, so I wanted to check how long two updates are with my normal reading speed that tends to be on the slow side to take it all in.

Started: 1:45
Finished: 2:00
Time spent with update: 15 minutes

So two updates consisted of a total of three scenes. Visually good, but seriously, if I'd be handing over cash monthly for THAT I'd be pissed.
Isn't that the case for about a year now ?
I think with 0.1.0 he started to make updates, which are only diary entries or only 20-30 renders total...

Kukipett

Feb 2, 2021
Is there some new content ??
I loaded a save from 1.5 just before the end and i didn't get anything more than before, it ended with Annie asking me to pose for a photo just as with version 1.5.:confused:
Are the saves not compatible or do i have to load a save way before that scene in the morning in my room ?

a1fox3

Loving Family Member's
Donor
Respected User
Aug 8, 2017
Is there some new content ??
I loaded a save from 1.5 just before the end and i didn't get anything more than before, it ended with Annie asking me to pose for a photo just as with version 1.5.:confused:
Are the saves not compatible or do i have to load a save way before that scene in the morning in my room ?
OP says " Old saves might not work ".

Reactions: JanisL and Kukipett

Kukipett

Feb 2, 2021
OP says " Old saves might not work ".
Thanks, i guessed that was something like this, i will try with an older save, maybe the saves don't work if it's from the last scene.
But as i learnt just right now that the update is extremely short, i will certainly not restart that game.

This game looks weird, the dev introduced the aunt then she totally disapeared and it's the same for other characters they seem to exist partially or like the crazy neighbourg, she totally changed her mind suddently!
Looks like the dev doesn't know were he will go and just makes a scene here and there

Mistress_Kixen

Engaged Member
Jun 12, 2017
got my 1.5 save to work with this however, so not liking the change in the MC character. He went from somewhat nice guy to an asshole with no real reason to explain why.

RustyCooter

Apr 5, 2020
For the love of god I will never understand why devs make these VN that give you options in dialogue that make no difference in the story. Every choice leads to the same damn result. It's pointless point and click at this point. Not to mention the dialogue is mind numbing. I just found myself clicking as fast as possible just to skip ahead to see the end of the update. I don't even know why I downloaded this again. Nothing has changed.

Kukipett

Feb 2, 2021
For the love of god I will never understand why devs make these VN that give you options in dialogue that make no difference in the story. Every choice leads to the same damn result. It's pointless point and click at this point. Not to mention the dialogue is mind numbing. I just found myself clicking as fast as possible just to skip ahead to see the end of the update. I don't even know why I downloaded this again. Nothing has changed.
Like in most of those games the dialogues choices are bullshit for the simple reason that making a game with multiple paths and options is a nightmare to maintain. There are even games where you have just once choice to click on ! :rolleyes:

Capt OA

Apr 29, 2018
Like in most of those games the dialogues choices are bullshit for the simple reason that making a game with multiple paths and options is a nightmare to maintain. There are even games where you have just once choice to click on ! :rolleyes:
Well, that's true, the more paths, routes, options a game has, the more difficult it becomes to maintain and develop. For example, having only two choices per path, the progression can become binary exponential; with only binary 4 choices, the number of possible paths could go up to 16, then, making some meaningful content to all of them can become a real nightmare. In some games, the choices are so strict or important that you end up with the feeling that you're actually playing two different games, like with The Way. It's not easy to realize this if you follow only one linear path along with those binary choices, if each path is, let's say, 15 mins each, the added up time for all the paths combined would be 240 mins...

Reactions: hakarlman

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
Well, that's true, the more paths, routes, options a game has, the more difficult it becomes to maintain and develop. For example, having only two choices per path, the progression can become binary exponential; with only binary 4 choices, the number of possible paths could go up to 16, then, making some meaningful content to all of them can become a real nightmare. In some games, the choices are so strict or important that you end up with the feeling that you're actually playing two different games, like with The Way. It's not easy to realize this if you follow only one linear path along with those binary choices, if each path is, let's say, 15 mins each, the added up time for all the paths combined would be 240 mins...
You can blend those choices to make it more manageable. But point RustyCooter & Kukipett make is why even add choices or menus when the make zero difference. If they don't make a difference, don't add them. Same with the single choice things, the add nothing to the game, they don't make you feel like you're doing something.

Reactions: Earply

Kukipett

Feb 2, 2021
You can blend those choices to make it more manageable. But point RustyCooter & Kukipett make is why even add choices or menus when the make zero difference. If they don't make a difference, don't add them. Same with the single choice things, the add nothing to the game, they don't make you feel like you're doing something.
Of course when you write a scenario, you cannot have too many different path because if you have many characters the option quickly become exponential and it would need a huge amount of work even for a little story.
So you can make two or three simultaneous paths where the characters can have some subpaths that just converge to the same paths after a while.
And more if you want to make an interesting story you need to maintain a main path with some optional events that will not alter the main story too much or that story will become some gibberish mess.
Of course if your game is a sandbox much more oriented towards a lot of independent events it's much more easier, but for a good VN it's very difficult to give too many choices without falling into some buggy crap.

Mauser45

Nov 6, 2017
I skipped two or three updates because the story wasn't going anywhere

So I gave 0.1.7 a shot and...it wasn't going anywhere

What's the actual point of rushing releases? Some people say "quality over quantity" is what matters in anything you do, but in this case, this game lacks both. These updates are both short AND dull. So close to just giving up on it

2.20 star(s) 43 Votes