VN Ren'Py Completed Something to Write About: The Author [Ch. 7.1] [STWAdev]

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Too bad I played this game after I played The Unbroken, feels like a downgrade almost in all departments. It's understandable tho due to lack of experience.
The story is so-so IMO, some parts of it are good, like the story with Chris(and maybe Kim), while others are very off-putting, especially the stupid contest between Lyndie, Aoife and Beatrix and the pseudo harem stuff.
And after inserting serious elements like depression, suicide, mental issues, Etc. all the endings are 10/10 happy for everybody? Even for the poor blind girl? Meh...
Still story wise, it's better them lots of games in this genre.
Still, The Unbroken is way way better.
I haven't played Unbroken yet, but I kind of agree about some of things you said. The Dev almost had it right at the end when it seemed that Dru was going to reject him. And he teased a bit about the pending failure of the throuple, but kind of pulled that back by having the mom approve of it. A bit of darkness with the possible endings would have added a lot to the game. Even though the pseudo harem stuff was fun, I think there was a missed chance at a good bit of drama that could have gone along with it.

What brought me to this thread in the first place though was that this VN just kind of felt chopped short. The dev opened up paths for several possible plot lines that never materialized at all (Marie and Hannah are just the two that I can remember off the top of my head right now), then the dance audition -> performance, then "choose". It just felt so damn abrupt.

LowLevelLesser

Feb 8, 2021
My only real complaint with the game is that despite being able to clearly reject characters time and time again; everyone treats the MC as if he's just being "indecisive"... like no, some of the rejections you can make are pretty definitive.

Reactions: Ilhares

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
My only real complaint with the game is that despite being able to clearly reject characters time and time again; everyone treats the MC as if he's just being "indecisive"... like no, some of the rejections you can make are pretty definitive.
That's a problem in many VNs, unfortunately. You know what you prefer but the MC is rarely clear-headed, intelligent, or that decisive, because it would derail their narrative.

Reactions: Elhemeer

Demonius

Oct 28, 2018
i like the Beatrix cuckqueen route, she lets you have sex with both Aofie and Lyndie

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Why does this one have the pregnancy tag? No girl is visibly pregnant at any point.
That is not needed for the tag. The act of impregnation is enough (and also already a kink for some people). Though it's been so long I don't really remember anymore whether that happens.

Reactions: HB38

Rundmck

Sep 5, 2019
That is not needed for the tag. The act of impregnation is enough (and also already a kink for some people). Though it's been so long I don't really remember anymore whether that happens.
Really? That's all it takes to get the pregnancy tag? Weird. It was literally the last line of the epilogue. Girl mentions that she's possibly pregnant, game ends. Doesn't seem right.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Really? That's all it takes to get the pregnancy tag? Weird. It was literally the last line of the epilogue. Girl mentions that she's possibly pregnant, game ends. Doesn't seem right.
It is all it takes, from the definition:
  • Pregnancy [The act of impregnating a woman or having sex with a pregnant one.]
And while this wouldn't entice me either if I were a preggo fan (which I am not), this again touches the basic problem of the tags: some people like the story including them impregnating another character without needing to (or even wanting to) have lewd scenes with a bellied girl. So where precisely does it turn from "something that happens in the story but has no real effect" into "something that satisfies my kink"? (Or, for those disliking ist, conversely turn from "something that happens in the story but has no real effect" into "ewwww, gross"). You might be able to give an answer, but would that be everybody's?

Reactions: Rundmck

Rundmck

Sep 5, 2019
It is all it takes, from the definition:
  • Pregnancy [The act of impregnating a woman or having sex with a pregnant one.]
And while this wouldn't entice me either if I were a preggo fan (which I am not), this again touches the basic problem of the tags: some people like the story including them impregnating another character without needing to (or even wanting to) have lewd scenes with a bellied girl. So where precisely does it turn from "something that happens in the story but has no real effect" into "something that satisfies my kink"? (Or, for those disliking ist, conversely turn from "something that happens in the story but has no real effect" into "ewwww, gross"). You might be able to give an answer, but would that be everybody's?
Well in this case, I think there should atleast be 1 render showing the girl as pregnant lol. Even if there's no preggo sex, that should be the bare minimum.

Edit:Okay forget whatever I wrote. There's a pregnancy in one of the routes. Worst girl in my opinion so I didn't check her route before

Last edited:

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It's been long since I last played it. But I think it has like 7 chapters or so. Generally speaking, I remember its length like short-medium.
I can second this, would maybe say "medium" for a classic VN - they can get pretty short sometimes. I never have any idea about "hours played" and always have the feeling that I play way more slowly than most but never checked. A bit more time will be needed if you have multiple sweethearts because that requires multiple playthroughs. (Technically this should have the harem tag because one ending exists which satisfies it, but most girls have only solo endings, and even those in the harem have them as well).

Reactions: Jumbi and Henry73au

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I just finished this game which I was reluctant to do so and the only thing I regret is that I haven't play it earlier.

Graphics could be better but it is relatively old now so that's fine. Although the story, narration and characters are top-notch. I was so eager to read some discussion about characters, endings etc but wow... this thread is so dead... What a shame, this game deserve much more attention. Thumbs up for STWA: Unbroken to be more popular, as I heard it is even better than The Author.
Well, we had some discussions back in the day - Aoife won despite my best efforts ;) - but yeah, discussions tend to die down once a game has been out for long enough.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
I am Lyndian through and through - nothing against Aoife (I even know how to pronounce it), she's a mighty fine girl, as they all are, but Lyndie would probably make my "3 favorite LIs from any game" list.
I can't fault you there. I'm partial to Beatrix, but Lyndie holds a special place as well. I didn't much care for Aoife, but I was also pleasantly surprised by Lyndie's sister (if you play down that path).

Reactions: Cartageno

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I can't fault you there. I'm partial to Beatrix, but Lyndie holds a special place as well. I didn't much care for Aoife, but I was also pleasantly surprised by Lyndie's sister (if you play down that path).
Yeah, that was nice, too. I just wished at that time I could somehow reconcile them IYKWIM.

Dessolos

Forum Fanatic
Jul 25, 2017
Not sure if this game wasn't for me or I just didn't like the Aoife path. But is it just me but it felt like we never got to know Aoife well enough compared to some of the others and I really wanted as I liked her character alot.

4.50 star(s) 123 Votes