Grayking666

Oct 22, 2017
stupid question form noobs programmer(me)
just curious,
I do not intent to mock or insult anyone
just curious,

can someone with inside knowledge tell me
what hinder Gunsmoke Games to have bimonthly update,
when studio like Miel Soft realease a full game every month?

I compare SU to miel product because Miel's game is short and does not have a deep story, just you ordinary nukige. just comparing this to an update, Miel's game feel repetitive, good enough comparison to an update.
please tell me if my logic here wrong

sorry for bad english, english is not my first language,
Most likely due to being an S++ tier artist who took a crash course in programming, originally having a small game which was only to consist of 6 heroines and 3(?) Henchwoman. The game blew up massively to the point where he cannot keep up with the masses wishes.

Unfortunately, instead of hiring someone to do the programming he wanted this to be his project and Unity just can't handle this game and he spends almost as much time fixing bugs as he is making new content.

Then the big elephant in the room, the schedule. He has a set schedule that he says he will release in and it went from being 1 month updates on the dot to 2 months. Then he started needing an extra week, then 1 and a half maybe even 2 weeks. Some people feel he is purposely delaying to milk patrons, some think he is a constant fibber of who covers for the fact he might not have finished in time. Some people think he gets a sick chubby from people bitching about it on the internet.

Some people think he is ripping others off, some Stan him 4ever. Me? I just wait til the game comes out, beat my meat, and then suggest fucked up ideas for the next update.

Patrik

Mar 8, 2017
stupid question form noobs programmer(me)
just curious,
I do not intent to mock or insult anyone
just curious,

can someone with inside knowledge tell me
what hinder Gunsmoke Games to have bimonthly update,
when studio like Miel Soft realease a full game every month?

I compare SU to miel product because Miel's game is short and does not have a deep story, just you ordinary nukige. just comparing this to an update, Miel's game feel repetitive, good enough comparison to an update.
please tell me if my logic here wrong

sorry for bad english, english is not my first language,
I am programming, but I don't see the code behind the game, but I have seen many programs like a swamp (most of the time this is the example in a code quality book or article) and you just cannot move forward because of the spaghetti code.

As I said I haven't seen the code, but maybe that's why they cannot make as much effort as they did before because of the code quality and they want this rebuild version which is more clear.

But I think the truth is nearly this:

1) Usual patreon milking and slower development process
and
2) Garbage code quality and they cannot move faster and that's why we have this bughunt fest for every release

Last edited:
Reactions: Jarul and Kenshi2k

Loopy

Jul 25, 2017
Take this with a grain of salt, as I've not tried to decompile or otherwise reverse-engineer his code, but judging from the way the saves appear in the registry the code is a mess. He's reduced the game to something cookie cutter, where characters have between about 3 and 12 interactions in different contexts, but he hasn't generalized anything much at all. I'm guessing he does what Akabur at least used to do, and copied and pasted code everywhere, editing as needed. If Huntress gets a similar set of interactions to what Batgirl has, copy it, add in whatever new strings, change every occurrence of "batgirl" to whatever, and hope that's sufficient for a first pass.

That's just a guess, mind, but it's a pretty typical trap inexperienced devs around here fall into. It's a fun way to bury little timebombs; both in terms of overwriting things unintentionally, and in that you can have hundreds of instances of every mistake to fix. But it could be anything, really.

Unfortunately, instead of hiring someone to do the programming he wanted this to be his project and Unity just can't handle this game and he spends almost as much time fixing bugs as he is making new content.
This game won't tax Unity. His abilities and Fungus perhaps, but not Unity.

D3xter_

Aug 4, 2017
So there was also information that work on Rebuild continues, despite Locke's departure, although work is proceeding slowly and in the next year and a half you should not expect news.
Something has changed?

D3xter_

Aug 4, 2017
The rebuild was Locke's work, since he left GG the project is left abandoned. As of right now there is no public information about the status of the remake (maybe the patreons know something, but I doubt it).

The most likely possibility is that the remake is dead. It would take months, perhaps even more than one year to make it, also SR7 was doing a code overhaul in the classic version, which indicates to me that the remake won't be made, after all why else would a code overhaul would be necessary in that case.
So the point is that SR7 is not engaged in a remake, but is working on content, and someone else is engaged in a remake and work on it is not constantly carried out, and in order to catch up it will take about 2 years at this pace.

Henshinvolt is a regular guest on this topic, and has information better than me, maybe he can explain.

Oct 31, 2019
This thread has more healthy discussion than reddit.

Most of reddit is
[Opinion]
>[Supporting argument for opinion]
>[supporting argument for this point]
And so on and so on because of the circlejerking in subs. Unpopular opinions are buried in downvotes once the downvote train starts

The discord for the game and fandoms in general are bad also imo, people with strong opinions tend to be the most active. There's no incentive for healthy discussion and compromise in perspective when you can just spam your opinion

grnrngr07

Jan 10, 2019
I've been thinking about this, and there is a pretty simple solution that would cut down development time by a lot:

Scrap the Vault.

It's one of the worst coded, buggiest sections of the game that probably takes up the majority time of both dev and testing, and yet it's not even a primary feature. No matter how much time they spend on it, there is always a scene that doesn't unlock, a back button missing on a page, or an entry that plays the wrong thing. It clearly wasn't built to be scalable or in a way that's easy to add new things to it, and worst of all it's not even a good implementation of the feature they are trying to make. It doesn't replay scenes, it just shows the static art sans dialog, and the majority of the vault content can be seen in a more complete form already with a minimal amount of effort on the player's part since most are from repeatable content.

So what do you do? Leave the code as it is to prevent more bugs, hide the button to access the area and forget any of it ever happened. And when you get some free dev cycles, work on a new system from the ground up that is actually designed properly, one that is meant to accept new entries and maybe one that doesn't need to have everything created manually. Once that works as intended, then you worry about adding it back in.

Continuing to sink more effort into a thoroughly broken system that doesn't even meet the feature requirements expected by the users is just a waste of everyone's time.

D3xter_

Aug 4, 2017
I've been thinking about this, and there is a pretty simple solution that would cut down development time by a lot:

Scrap the Vault.

It's one of the worst coded, buggiest sections of the game that probably takes up the majority time of both dev and testing, and yet it's not even a primary feature. No matter how much time they spend on it, there is always a scene that doesn't unlock, a back button missing on a page, or an entry that plays the wrong thing. It clearly wasn't built to be scalable or in a way that's easy to add new things to it, and worst of all it's not even a good implementation of the feature they are trying to make. It doesn't replay scenes, it just shows the static art sans dialog, and the majority of the vault content can be seen in a more complete form already with a minimal amount of effort on the player's part since most are from repeatable content.

So what do you do? Leave the code as it is to prevent more bugs, hide the button to access the area and forget any of it ever happened. And when you get some free dev cycles, work on a new system from the ground up that is actually designed properly, one that is meant to accept new entries and maybe one that doesn't need to have everything created manually. Once that works as intended, then you worry about adding it back in.

Continuing to sink more effort into a thoroughly broken system that doesn't even meet the feature requirements expected by the users is just a waste of everyone's time.
From the previously sounded information, as far as I remember, Vault is directly related to scenes and their performance, so SR7 will have to work on it one way or another.

gnd53

Jul 6, 2017
And when you get some free dev cycles, work on a new system from the ground up that is actually designed properly, one that is meant to accept new entries and maybe one that doesn't need to have everything created manually.
I don't think there's a way *to* design the vault properly with their current technology.

Reactions: Cyberious
4.10 star(s) 159 Votes