Jimwalrus

Sep 15, 2021
Basically:

- One side is arguing that SR7 has a difficult job in doing any updates at all given the mess that the 'code' of the game is in.

- The other side is pointing out that he's got ~$15K per month coming in (net of Patreon fees) and should employ an actual coder to finish the rebuild in parallel so they don't soend two months debugging a monthly update.

- First side then retorts that he tried that and the guy f'ed about and didn't deliver.

- Other side then retorts that there's no shortage of people who can code something this basic and he should get someone else in. Anyone who has such a mess of legacy code and doesn't have a parallel project to replace it is crazy.

Am I missing anything?

Jimwalrus

Sep 15, 2021
That's boiling it down, excluding the childish name-calling and (actually good) ideas for how to improve / expand the game

Xizor111

May 17, 2020
Basically:

- One side is arguing that SR7 has a difficult job in doing any updates at all given the mess that the 'code' of the game is in.

- The other side is pointing out that he's got ~$15K per month coming in (net of Patreon fees) and should employ an actual coder to finish the rebuild in parallel so they don't soend two months debugging a monthly update.

- First side then retorts that he tried that and the guy f'ed about and didn't deliver.

- Other side then retorts that there's no shortage of people who can code something this basic and he should get someone else in. Anyone who has such a mess of legacy code and doesn't have a parallel project to replace it is crazy.

Am I missing anything?
Taxes, for one. They also have to be payed from the Patreon money iirc.

And, more seriously: one bad experience can easily lead to people avoiding to retry something. Another issue could be to find a coder that fits in. Sure, there might be many coders around, but who knows how many of htem would really fit in. Next point: The coder would have to be interested in working on the project and actually stay the whole duration... switching coders over and over would mean different styles of coding and the next coder needing to familiarize with unknown, to him, code. And that isn't easy.

Another question however: If it's so easy and basic to code... why don't people take SR's art, iirc he basically said "it's free to use unless you sell it" or something.... and used it to make their own version? Iirc there is/was a SU mod or spinoff that was "well coded". I don't think that is still around, is it? It's apparently not as easy...

Would it be better if they had another reliable coder (or two, so that SR could just concentrate on drawing instead of coding...) who'd do a rebuild of the game, maybe also swapping the engines completely? Yes, undoubtably so. But GSG ain't the first time were people decided to hold off on something after the first time blew up in their face.

Also, again: considering how many people here constantly go on about how easy that is, I have to assume that they are awesome coders... so why not offer to help, considering the main issue seems to be the time between releases... could it be because they aren't coders? Or because they'd then be part of the problem, rather than be able to sit on the sidenlines...

Reactions: ederius

Jimwalrus

Sep 15, 2021
Any money paid to a coder is a business expense and therefore tax-deductible.

I'm not a coder, but I am an IT project manager and it grinds my gears to see this situation.

It's a glorified PowerPoint presentation FFS, the sort of thing Ren'py handles easily.
The real issue here is the lack of understanding by SR7 of what he has become (and missing the skillset to be) - a manager.

He's already acknowledged what needs to be done - hence SU Rebuilt. Not handing that off to another coder when it fell through was a huge mistake and the tech debt is only going to increase.

~$15k/mth is enough to hire a coder and a project manager, even at high rates due to the 'non-resume-compatible' nature of the project.
Three months should be long enough if done as a full-time job for both, given that the wireframe, storyboard and artwork already exist. Dialogue will need to be reverse engineered, that may slow things a little.
SR7 can continue with artwork and story in the meantime.

Again, it boils down to a lack of management expertise.

SomeBeardo

Oct 26, 2017
Also, again: considering how many people here constantly go on about how easy that is, I have to assume that they are awesome coders... so why not offer to help, considering the main issue seems to be the time between releases... could it be because they aren't coders? Or because they'd then be part of the problem, rather than be able to sit on the sidenlines...
Yeah, those are only two options. They can't code or only want to whinge. Those are the only two reasons people aren't offering to do SR7s work for free while he is getting paid to do that work.

Xizor111

May 17, 2020
Yeah, those are only two options. They can't code or only want to whinge. Those are the only two reasons people aren't offering to do SR7s work for free while he is getting paid to do that work.
And where exactly did I say "For free"? Can you point at that exact line? Please, go ahead. Offering help does not mean "I'll do it for you for free!"

Also, I htink he handed it off to ANOTHER Coder after the Locke fiasco... and nobody knows what happened with the guy.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: SomeBeardo

borenor

Dec 5, 2018
You 100% sure that you checked Tala's store after upgrading it at least once?
Cuz otherwise, I'mma tell you to just start over.
Yup, i even went back to start new game, added some money with cheat, fully upgraded Tala (without progressing anything else) and dont see leash there as well. Perhaps im missing some trigger for it?

dx25682

May 11, 2021
I don't have an updated MAC. What I've been doing is downloading the 2.3.3 version for mac available here and the new updated WIN file and just transferring the "Data" folder from the WIN one slowly into the mac version. If you transfer the "level" files from the data folder it makes it so the events trigger but there's no images. Once I try transferring anything else the whole thing just doesnt work just provides some purple text. Maybe you can get it to work!
Yeah thats not the best way to do it. I guess just waiting for a published Mac version is ready. Is anyone wiling to buy it lol?

witcher123

Jun 19, 2017
Yeah thats not the best way to do it. I guess just waiting for a published Mac version is ready. Is anyone wiling to buy it lol?
Honestly it'd be smarter to just use asset studio and rip the damn images then just upload em cause that way you can just shop your scenes like lollapoza did. There haven't been any animated scenes since Roulette back at the start so its not like it would be any different than playing the game and having to endure the bad plot lol

Win users will have to do that though since Asset Studio i don't think's on the mac, its annoying cause i really frickn was waiting on updates for WW and Superwoman damn it, like 2 of the best buff babes and 0 love form em damn it

Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't say that those are the only reasons for such a choice. While I certainly won't claim to be an expert coder, and any criticisms I've laid against the state of the game stem from personal experience with (and distaste of) automated tools in general rather than being personal attacks against Sunset (haven't met the guy, so I can't say anything about him tbh), there is a general attitude I keep stumbling upon in coding circles:

Anyone who's worth their salt as a programmer should stay out of game development, as that's not where the money is.

While there certainly is the argument that making games is all about la pasión and not about the money, my cynical counterpoint to that is it only applies when it's your personal project. If you're brought on to work on someone else's project? Then it's a job, plain and simple, and you should be paid what you're worth. And while there has been a lot of talk out of one's arse in this thread, both in support of and against Sunset, I'd wager the ones who know what they are talking about realize they can do better than whatever money this game would offer them (and they probably are as well).

Edit: A few hours later it has occurred to me that I may have aimed this at the wrong post. Damn it panda, this is why you buy coffee before you go posting, not the other way around...

Last edited:
Reactions: Testerguy19

dx25682

May 11, 2021
I
Honestly it'd be smarter to just use asset studio and rip the damn images then just upload em cause that way you can just shop your scenes like lollapoza did. There haven't been any animated scenes since Roulette back at the start so its not like it would be any different than playing the game and having to endure the bad plot lol

Win users will have to do that though since Asset Studio i don't think's on the mac, its annoying cause i really frickn was waiting on updates for WW and Superwoman damn it, like 2 of the best buff babes and 0 love form em damn it
i don’t get why there isn’t a Mac 2.3.4 file availed but a windows one is. Gunsmoke Games head openly is ok with this site putting up the file, so it’s not even pirating. A very strange predicament. We need to get the Mac file somehow.

Reactions: Testerguy19

destroyerofassholes

Oct 23, 2019
Lmao fuck this guy.

An entire pointless rant just spent creating excuses for his ass. I can't believe how this mfer is writing all this self-pity bullshit. He lives in a fairy-tale world where he is making MANY times what he asked for on patreon and still has the balls to say "but if we ask more for a coder you guys don't give it."

Holy fuck, dude. Your goal for the "makings of a legitimate studio" is MUCH lower than what you are making. Where is all that money going then, if not to the studio?

4.00 star(s) 157 Votes