Oriandu

Engaged Member
Sep 1, 2017
The only upside to the Unity debacle is that changing contracts retroactively is illegal and Unity knows it. They're just hoping to get away with it because most projects that use Unity are smaller developers. It's likely that they'll cut a deal with bigger companies behind closed doors to try and get away with it, but at some point someone is going to sue and the retroactive contract nonsense will be slapped down in court immediately. So hopefully Unity pisses off one of the handful of major projects that use Unity and that'll result in the rule being changed back because the idea that you can enforce new contracts retroactively is insane.

I can't see how this is going to go well since the Cult of the Lamb developer is already threatening to delete the game over this.

Fapokso

Jan 16, 2020
The only upside to the Unity debacle is that changing contracts retroactively is illegal and Unity knows it. They're just hoping to get away with it because most projects that use Unity are smaller developers. It's likely that they'll cut a deal with bigger companies behind closed doors to try and get away with it, but at some point someone is going to sue and the retroactive contract nonsense will be slapped down in court immediately. So hopefully Unity pisses off one of the handful of major projects that use Unity and that'll result in the rule being changed back because the idea that you can enforce new contracts retroactively is insane.

I can't see how this is going to go well since the Cult of the Lamb developer is already threatening to delete the game over this.
This doesn't effect smaller unity games, only games/companies that make a income of over 1 million.

Xypher

May 1, 2017
Sorry can someone fill me in whats going on about unity?
Basically Unity is charging a "Runtime Fee" for developers of $0.20 per install of their game made in their engine (lower for owners of Pro and Enterprise edition). Sounds horrid for indie developers when pirate and multiple installs are counted plus a subscription fee on top of it, greedy fucks. Though they won't start charging till Jan 1 of 2024.

Last edited:
Reactions: GaRbS

DavyDaoist

Jun 12, 2020
Are games on f95 that much implicated ? From the chart, it looks like you need to make 200 000$+ in a year on the smallest unity version and I don’t think games on this website are that lucrative since they only got patreon and nothing from most people. It’s still illegal & disgusting tho and the different devs should manifest themselves.

JuanPabloII

Aug 29, 2020
Are games on f95 that much implicated ? From the chart, it looks like you need to make 200 000$+ in a year on the smallest unity version and I don’t think games on this website are that lucrative since they only got patreon and nothing from most people. It’s still illegal & disgusting tho and the different devs should manifest themselves.
Gunsmoke makes more than 200k a year but he can always upgrade to Unity Pro which would increase possible revenue to 1 million. If I understood it correctly everything will be gucci unless Gunsmoke is unwilling to spend like 1% of what he makes on Patreon.

Fapokso

Jan 16, 2020
Gunsmoke makes more than 200k a year but he can always upgrade to Unity Pro which would increase possible revenue to 1 million. If I understood it correctly everything will be gucci unless Gunsmoke is unwilling to spend like 1% of what he makes on Patreon.
It doesn't even matter anyways, they can easily move to renpy with zero issue considering the mobile port

Fapokso

Jan 16, 2020
That would require the dev to learn renpy themselves. Otherwise they'd have to outsource it. I won't hold my breath.
He already stated that he planned on moving to ren'py going forward since its easier to manage (its totally not because he doesn't know how to use unity)

Reactions: vireker
4.00 star(s) 163 Votes