Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1696686929521.png
Dev be working furiously on this next magic and sorcery title featuring Thomas the mage:
” Northern diplomacy, that was the title for the image. Things are dropping into places, and I keep finding interesting things in my library. Take, for example, the clothes on Tomas. I forgot I had them; they aren't for genesis 8 so they don't show up in the library as is. And then the other night I stumbled upon them while doing stuff when waiting for render to complete. And I reckon that set fixed the irritation I had with Tomas' clothing. Although, I need to change the belt... ”
1696686983711.png
” And then there is this. I know I wanted to test some new effects I had, but then I forgot, again, that the VDB's are broken in the Daz's beta build. So it didn't come out as I originally wanted. ”
1696687230906.png
Writing things, it's going alright. I had some concerns about the timing of things. There is, let's say, realistic travelling times. Now that creates a problem with certain story aspect. It is surprising how little people could travel during a day in medieval times. On foot and on horse, it's 30 miles per day on average, give or take, just that the time going from A to B is shorter with on horseback. There is an exception to this, with trained horses who could do 100 miles a day, but they would need two to three days' resting period after that. Thinking that, realistically, going from where I live to the next city, which is a one-hour trip nowadays, would take two to three days back then. Puts things into perspective. And now days there isn't the risk being eaten by wolves or bears.
1696687252914.png
Dev about different to sorcerer stuff: ” In this setting, I'm not a fan of Sorcerer style "free for all" teleportation, it just creates problems. Which can be hand waved with more magic. That being said, I was browsing my assets, and I found a way that fit the lore of the setting... in more ways than one, to my surprise. And it limits accessibility to teleportation. ”
” Gates have been fairly standard in mythology, fantasy, and scifi. And when done correctly it removes certain limitations, but at the same time, doesn't negate need for normal travel. They just aren't often used since in fantasy as is. ”
Dev says this: ” Yes, there will be another VN. And yes, it will be a fantasy one once TRS2 is over, need to rotate settings so I won't get burned out. It isn't being rendered as is, just the additional renders are me testing (and planning) things during downtime (generally during loading times and during breaks I need to take). ”
Bloodmoon22

Jul 20, 2022
I really liked this game. Great story. With the way it ended, was there going to be a sequil by chance?
I am relatively sure he hasn't announced anything specific. But it won't be his next game.

If there is one, it will be at minimum a year out. He is one final large update out from finishing the sequel to Terminal Reach, his first game, then whatever fixes or whatever he does for that, and whatever time he needs to start rendering his new fantasy game - which is not part of Sorcerer. He'll work on that for at least a year based on his track record with his past three games.

I would love to see a sequel to Sorcerer though. There are some plot threads that haven't been tied off, but weren't really central to the main story. But it's a great setting.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
I am relatively sure he hasn't announced anything specific. But it won't be his next game.

If there is one, it will be at minimum a year out. He is one final large update out from finishing the sequel to Terminal Reach, his first game, then whatever fixes or whatever he does for that, and whatever time he needs to start rendering his new fantasy game - which is not part of Sorcerer. He'll work on that for at least a year based on his track record with his past three games.

I would love to see a sequel to Sorcerer though. There are some plot threads that haven't been tied off, but weren't really central to the main story. But it's a great setting.
He has said few times that he will most likely have 3+ game settings in rotation, where he develops games. That is so he doesn't get burned out with any specific setting so easily.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
More sorcery ... more magic ... Dev be blowing some steam in the fantasy realms ...
1697018176026.png
More snow elves. I have a guideline of sorts, until it is rendered in the game it is subject to change. You might regonize the "Banshee Queen" that I posted... a long time ago. Ideas are one thing, but things evolve once you start writing. Something that seemed to be a good idea then might not work when writing. Now the ideas of the snow elves and the banshee queen has merged together because it made sense.
Being fair here, it can change 50 times between now and then. But, I'm surprisingly happy so far with them. Except that I need to find more piercings...
Anyway, a bit more general rambling about the subject. Truthfully, one of the biggest reasons to merge (outside of it being logical because various traits they share) is aesthetics. The more I toyed with the snow elf idea, certain visuals kept popping up, snow, cold, death... we associate cold to death, what represents death? Skulls and bones. So add certain aesthetics to the elves and they fit. Then, for the sake of having the "big picture" you try the clothes/armour you associate with traditionally to high elves. They don't fit. I mean, they fit, they look good in them, but they don't fit. It isn't the race that formed in my head. And now I have this "undead faction" that uses the same aesthetics, white skin, armour adorned with skulls. Not that there are that many alternatives in the fantasy section, but for humans it's easy to use "realistic" armours anyway, but back to the topic. Then it gets to their traits and their position in the story itself. And you see there is some overlap. It wouldn't be more work as is, but you would ask yourself, what is the difference? Would the story benefit from having two similar factions that fill the same role? Frankly, no. From story point of view it doesn't make sense, better to merge two of the factions and create something more or less unique than work on two things that potentially end the same in the long run. In the end, merging them made sense, and now I can create something different instead, something that hopefully will be as unique.

Is there another game in the works?
Yes, there will be another VN. And yes, it will be a fantasy one once TRS2 is over,
need to rotate settings so I won't get burned out.
It isn't being rendered as is, just the additional renders are me testing
(and planning) things during downtime
(generally during loading times and during breaks I need to take).

Apr 9, 2019
Yes indeed, he is currently on his epilogue of TRS2 and has another mystical one that he has already began writing in the works so im sure it will be as good in all aspects as Sorcerer! Then we will see if it gets a sequel ;)
Will this also be set in the same universe as Sorcerer? Regardless I look forward to it.

HentaiKami

Engaged Member
Jan 27, 2019
Will this also be set in the same universe as Sorcerer? Regardless I look forward to it.
No, the next game is set in another setting, more traditional fantasy. But he has said that he will most likely have 3+ settings he is going to be rotating, so he doesn't burn out any one of them too easily and that Sorcerer will most likely get continuation at some point.

Reactions: Monstrous Moonshine

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1697398882353.png
This is one draft wallpaper for the next one fantasy game main menu.
Won't be the only one,
it will be dynamic with certain choices showing the path you are progressing in.
It will be per save,
so it can change if you have multiple saves on different paths.
At least that is the plan.
And that's it for this weekend. Dev going to take a break for the evening,
just to recharge those batteries a bit.
See you all on Monday!
And have a pleasant weekend.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
While putting the finishing touches to TRS2, here be the fantasy renders dev be professing escapism into:
the rendering of the next GAME (a traditinal fantasy) has started.
Starting was a bit slow, but that is normal when starting a new project,
or an update for that matter.
Rendering is slightly slower than I anticipated,
but that is because of the current environment being demanding.
But it's more a matter of a few minutes than anything drastic.
Over all, it gets faster once I get used to the different flow
that the new one has.

Writing is picking up again now
that I don't have that nagging feeling in the back of my head.
So it's good.
1697881254632.png
Perfectionist side be churning on the mood of dev, so here is letting some steam out by this expressive render...
And then this. This is titled as "Agony." Yeah... it has been one of those weekends, everything has gone well but slow.
It's mostly an environment test, but also an indication that there will be some darker themes within the next one.
But as always, there are choices that can make things better.
Or worse. Anyway, back to rendering the finale renders.
Dev has been quoted to have the character files saved and backed up for future use.

1697881473543.png
Some awww moments, some that make you facepalm, the usual stuff. Maybe.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
DEV: I am working on a fantasy VN (that isn't Sorcerer) that will be the next project.

Progress 23.10.2023 public 18 hours ago
it is full steam ahead to the next one. Well, been doing that already for a few days, but yeah, point.

Rendering is going nicely. Posing is slightly annoying,
but I have only myself to blame for writing the scene as it is.
But, when in doubt, cheat... My protagonist tends to have access to magic (or psionics).
And let's not pretend we wouldn't make our lives easier
doing those little annoying things if it would be possible.
And writing is going, getting back to the rhythm that got mixed with the longer rendering hours,
assuming that there are no surprises.
I should be close to finishing the update six's writing by the end of the week.

1698143453424.png
Then preview and some tech talk. All the options from TRS2 will be in the new one.
Thus, those images that are darker but fine for me have the option for a bit brighter version.
1698143476406.png
The difference isn't that huge, but the latter might be more clear.
So if you need it, the option will still be there.
Among other options, but more of those when I get the first half of the initial release done and coded.

Dear dev,
Talothral , there is this amazing brightness slider made by crabsinthekitchen over at this adress:
https://f95zone.to/threads/zero-end-v0-1-3c-stolenrose.137720/post-12021271

Should you want to use something like this, sure thing you could come to some arrangement.
View attachment Bri slide.mp4

Last edited:

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Dear dev,
there is this amazing brightness slider...
Sure, it isn't hard to do, just needs ren'py 8. But the problem with it is that it creates washed out images easily, so you would constantly need to alter the setting depending on the lightning situation as that varies between scenes. For example, brightness value that works for indoors doesn't work for outdoors. Adjusting that would be fine now and then, but constantly between scenes? No, it isn't just a user friendly approach. Of course, it is a bit more work for me, and it does bloat the download size to a degree, but the latter isn't a problem as you can offer a separate download for the feature for those who wishes to use it. It isn't like I'm not doing 2 different versions already.

Edit: Just to add, I have a working prototype with brightness adjustment, and personally I'm not happy with the results with it.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1699527592601.png
And here we have it. The official main title screen image. At least one of them, this is at least what you see up to update 10, until that I don't think there is enough choices been made to affect things. Assuming I can get the dynamic screen work as I want. Anyway, that's it for today, things are looking good.

Talothral:
The next one that will be out this month (assuming there isn't catastrophes)
I'll give the title of it out on Monday, once I've hammered the UI elements into place.

Begeerha?
Talothral:Heh. No.
She is Nisha (means night in Sanskrit)

1699527732836.png

Tribulations of the Mage... catchy title, no? I'm not going to lie, naming things is my least favourite thing to do mostly cause I suck at it, but alas, it works and fits. Maybe it should be "of a mage"? Eh, details! I'm happy though with it. Generally the colour scheme is something I like, things might need some tweaking, but that's comes down to feedback. Now to the more technical aspects.

The font. That font is used only for the menus and character names. The actual font that is used for the dialogue and other "important" things will be the default ren'py one. Just to keep it easily readable.

You've might have noticed that there is a "codex" instead of characters in the main menu. This is one of the changes I wanted to implement in this game.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: John Ness

Digitalzig

Nov 16, 2020
for Sorcerer with all the threats and challenges for new houses there should be a lot of stories that could be made. also all the kids especially the new mixed breed types could bring challenges for the house especially if he has several with each lover and gets other lovers to have kids with.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 140 Votes