whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Of course i love to see things in others universe cooperate smoothly in this universe but insist something must work exactly like in other universe is, to me, a limitation of creativity
You said that sticking to canon limited creativity. I explained why the creativity is already limited, if you're creating content for someone else's established world. Sticking to canon does limit creativity, but it is required to create continuity.
If you don't want your creativity limited, establish your own world. As Talothral has done, here.

I don't know who has insisted that the things in this game should work the same as they do in a different game, but that is not a reasonable request to make. It's beyond unreasonable, it's illogical.
This game is not part of a pre-existing universe, so creates its own canon as it progresses.
Canon established in another game's universe is totally irrelevant, 100%, here.

Hornyowl

Jun 4, 2020
Considering how proud the Greeks and Norse are of their mythology, you dismissing it is far more insulting.
"myth" is generally taken to mean something which is not real...fables. In the case of Norse and Greeks I refer to it as their culture, not myth. The oral tradition of telling stories of culture(s) gone by should not be degraded. They are quite rightly proud of their history and it should not be denigrated by reducing it to a myth, simply because it goes beyond commonly held beliefs.

Hornyowl

Jun 4, 2020
Fact is, this is Talothral world. He is god here. What he defines is.

So he can define whatever he wants and you guys need to accept it. In this setting, what he defines is what it is correct. That is how creating fictional worlds works.

Some may claim: that is not the way thing are. But that would be in another setting. In Talothral's world, it is what he wills it to be.

I don't care about all other. But you are pushing your argument mixing science here. The way we actually advance science is by testing things.

So, simply because we cannot explain something does not imply some wacky idea is true either. We simply have untested or unverifiable hypothesis.

Yet, we do have some prior about what we believe makes more sense. We do not truly understand gravity* either, yet I doubt you will jump down a skyscraper any time soon, right?

*there is no empirically tested theory of everything.
Firstly, I agree with you that this is Talothral's world. If you read my initial post you would see that (at the end) I never discounted that. He is free to do as he wishes. I actually congratulated him.

Secondly, your definition of science is narrower than mine. I view everything as a science (or having a root in science). And I am not pushing my argument, as you have said. I also did not imply that without proof any idea is true. All I said was that if it is unproven, I will not label it as a fanciful story. It is simply unproven at that point. BTW, there are different ways of proving things. Empirical testing is simply the way favored by the Western world.

hrimthyrs

May 6, 2020
"myth" is generally taken to mean something which is not real...fables.
When dealing with polysemous words, most dictionaries order the different senses by frequency of usage. As you can see from the following links, the meaning of "traditional stories" is consistently the main sense, while the meaning of "false belief" is consistently a secondary sense so, no, myth is not generally taken to mean "something which is not real".

, which mainly uses the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, supplemented with American Heritage and Harper Collins

Further, mythology as an academic field is not the study of falsehoods, it's the study of traditional stories.

In the case of Norse and Greeks I refer to it as their culture, not myth. The oral tradition of telling stories of culture(s) gone by should not be degraded. They are quite rightly proud of their history and it should not be denigrated by reducing it to a myth, simply because it goes beyond commonly held beliefs.
Myths and history are two completely different things and referring to a culture's traditional stories as myths in no way denigrates their history, even if you were right about the general meaning of myth, which you aren't.

Reactions: whichone

againsthaters

Mar 18, 2021
No, your views are just plain wrong, dude.
I know exactly why you said that you do not wish to use the word "myth" & I explained, quite specifically, why that understanding of the word and, therefore, that view, is wrong.
That is the reason I said that it is not worth having a conversation with you, because you clearly do not understand the meaning of the words that you use & have based your whole argument around a misuse.
I even gave you specific evidence that your usage of "myth" to mean "something untrue" is blatantly wrong.
Here it is again:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'll take the word of the people who make dictionaries, over yours, for the correct definition, thanks. (y)
Something being referred to as a myth, has nothing whatsoever to do with "denigration of cultures".
That's just outright ridiculous.
As I said, all of the stories in the Bible are, effectively, myths.
No-one thinks any less of the Greeks, for reading the myths of Olympus.
People actually love the Norse cultures, because of their myths!
The myths indisputably enhance their cultures.
Do you also assume that referring to something as a "legend" is denigratory? :unsure:
*It's not, btw.

History is different & is not entirely factual, either.
History is written by the victors (unsurprisingly, favourably to them!), in all cases, except for Temujin.

Yes, language does evolve, but not just because some thick idiots get the meaning wrong.
That does not equate to "common vernacular", I'm afraid. It's just a misuse & therefore wrong.

The reason I said that you sound "bitter" is because of your constant attempts to portray yourself as a victim of Western oppression & your referal to anything Western (e.g. science) being dismissive.
You seem rather angry and bitter when you mention these things.

All of the above is precisely why I did not respond to you and also why I do not view having a conversation with you to be a worthwhile pursuit.
P.S. Also, rather than adding 5 consecutive posts to the thread, maybe use the "edit" function?

What did you want ...
Nowadays there are not many who have the few neuronal cells that function at least more or less correctly ... - sometimes there are even some who already have them out of consumption.
Some no longer take the time to think about things before opening it ...
We should/must ignore them.

Lord Verminaard

Mar 14, 2018
This entire debate over mythology, folklore, and terminology is much more... scholarly than I would really expect from the comments section of this site.
I like this game more just for that.
Well, I follow some common games with whichone and his comments in debates generally loaded with knowledge :LOL: I can even dare to say I double check my opinions on matter if it opposite of his'.

• Haha

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
1627966421699.png

Changelog 0.26.0

Man it feels so good to be done with this update. Doing the release build as I type this, then I'll do a quick run through just to make thing work and it gets uploaded.
Changelog 0.26.0
  • Day 26 implemented
  • 398 renders
  • Some of the older scenes (before day 10) has been converted to obey the new pause controller.
  • Spelling, grammar, bug fixes (Thanks to Adry Lemon, Andro, ShaddyModda, and probably others who I can't recall after 4 hours of sleep.)

Techstar

Crlazy Compressor - Retired
Modder
Donor
Compressor
Dec 31, 2017
Sorcerer [v0.26.0 Extra] [Talothral] - Compressed
You like this game and want to support the developer, click on the developer name below.

Developer:

This compression is unofficial which reduces media quality and might break the game.

Original Win/Linux Size: 4.73 GB
Compressed Win/Linux Size: 1.27 GB
Compressed Mac Size: 1.26 GB -

Give me a "(y)like" if you enjoy this compressed version

Qmil679

Q / Motherlover
Donor
Mar 13, 2019
I lost my save. Could someone help and share? :D
As allies, I want gorgons of course. ;)

Gorse

GFX Designer
Aug 16, 2020
Talothral, thanks for another extremely fast update, apparently you are in a great workflow :cool:!

Couldn't wait for the public release date this time due to the two updates in short time, so I downloaded the whole current version (v 0.26) in anticipation.
Just before downloading, I noticed the huge file size of your current build (almost 5 GB already)... and I'd guess you're still far away from completing your great story...Yes, there's the unofficial compressed version and that's fine, but...

Do you have future plans to compress your official version (and/or maybe split it up into "Acts") to reduce the overall (final) download size without too much loss of the content? Cause it might be an issue if it's more than 10 GB in the end (at least for me and maybe a few more folks without a fast internet connection) ?!

That asked, I really appreciate your separate "update-only" download option for each publically available update (even I have to wait one week longer for it - it's always worth the patience (y))!

ravendarklock

Jun 30, 2019
Love what you are doing, keep up the good work. Just a thought, you might want to set up a discord, it allows you to get major feedback from folks who play, and the ones who do so in such cases, usually will bring bugs, and spelling errors to your attention.

Reactions: Rycharde's Realm

akaio

Jun 7, 2020
Love what you are doing, keep up the good work. Just a thought, you might want to set up a discord, it allows you to get major feedback from folks who play, and the ones who do so in such cases, usually will bring bugs, and spelling errors to your attention.
There is a Discord server and the author's very active there.

Talothral

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2020
Talothral, thanks for another extremely fast update, apparently you are in a great workflow :cool:!

Couldn't wait for the public release date this time due to the two updates in short time, so I downloaded the whole current version (v 0.26) in anticipation.
Just before downloading, I noticed the huge file size of your current build (almost 5 GB already)... and I'd guess you're still far away from completing your great story...Yes, there's the unofficial compressed version and that's fine, but...

Do you have future plans to compress your official version (and/or maybe split it up into "Acts") to reduce the overall (final) download size without too much loss of the content? Cause it might be an issue if it's more than 10 GB in the end (at least for me and maybe a few more folks without a fast internet connection) ?!

That asked, I really appreciate your separate "update-only" download option for each publically available update (even I have to wait one week longer for it - it's always worth the patience (y))!
From a technical point of view, the VN is already set up in a way that it could even allow singular-day downloads. Although I would need to change few earlier days to the current format on how I end the game. I just would have to upload the individual image .rpa's and create a download page for them. In that case, those with slower download speeds could download it in small parts, without quality loss.

But that being said, it's something I've considered once the game reaches a certain point, but as with any compression, some quality is lost. Granted, without using webp's (at 100%) the VN would be around 15 GB at this point. So I might go for individual day downloads, will see.

There is a discord, just keep forgetting to put the link in the game as well.

4.40 star(s) 142 Votes