4.70 star(s) 39 Votes

Ulf Gustafson

Oct 7, 2018
A burnout or a writer's block? What's the difference by the way?
Burnout you can't work at all, you can't do anything, you get tired very easy and if it's bad it takes years to recover.
It happened to me 2018 and i haven't recovered 100% yet, working 50% right now and maybe 75% is my max for the rest of my life, you never fully recover from it, the first year i didn't work at all, and today if i work to mush or do something for a longer time without a brake i get really bad headaches and i get extremely tired.

• Wow
Reactions: Minx077

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
A burnout or a writer's block? What's the difference by the way?
Speaking from the perspective of a writer (amateur at best, but still), I'd say the difference is that writer's block is when you get stuck on how you want a story to proceed or what comes next in your narrative, but are still able to work on other creative projects (ie, this is why some writers will go work on a second story in the hopes that it shakes them out of their block on the first story, by distracting themselves from the problem and potentially spurring new ideas). But burnout is when you're just overtired, overstressed, or otherwise left feeling creatively drained, to the point where you feel like you can't work on anything. At best you lack motivation, at worst you'll start to actively hate your entire project and stop wanting to work on it at all.

The cure for both is often just to step away from whatever you're working on - a break can help recharge your creative batteries, distract you from problems, and potentially give new perspectives, new ideas, and new inspiration. So in the end it doesn't really matter too much whether you're burned out or suffering from writer's block, because the solution to both is pretty much the same thing (ie, go do something else for a while - go read a book, go bowling, hang out with friends, etc). You might only need to break for a day or two, or maybe a week, or it might actually take weeks or months of rest to get your passion and inspiration back, but forcing yourself to try and work though it usually only makes it worse (though some writers do have tricks for forcing themselves through a writer's block, it's not always the best idea, and it will almost always just make burnout worse).

It's a lot easier for amateur or independent creators who don't necessarily have deadlines or expected delivery dates to take that kind of break, though.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I loved the first game and enjoyed this one so far but honestly it's best to declare it abandoned since no communication was made for at least quarter of the new year.
This game is on hold at the request of the dev. Games are placed on hold specifically to avoid the abandoned tag. Putting a game on hold suspends the requirement for communications. Hopefully Stiglet will be able to pick the game back up, we'll all just have to wait and see.

caspian90

Feb 8, 2020
This game is on hold at the request of the dev. Games are placed on hold specifically to avoid the abandoned tag. Putting a game on hold suspends the requirement for communications. Hopefully Stiglet will be able to pick the game back up, we'll all just have to wait and see.
Ik I have been following since last year but that's the point so far nothing. Not even a single post in 2022 and it's been 4 months.

I just hope for even a single Patreon post.

Reactions: Hadgar and HHUUKK

drooopy

Feb 27, 2021
even though i believe stiglet will return, i'm not so sure he'll want to continue this game, he is taking too much time off, it's as if he's given up on it & trying to come up with a different project that he's more passionate about.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
even though i believe stiglet will return, i'm not so sure he'll want to continue this game, he is taking too much time off, it's as if he's given up on it & trying to come up with a different project that he's more passionate about.
Speaking from personal experience, burn out is an ugly thing. Truly. Everyone's recovery time is uniquely their own, so none of us can forecast Stiglet's circumstances, nor can we ascribe motivations, or the lack there of, to him. If and when he returns, he may choose to tell us what transpired. As I said, until then, we watch, wait, hope, and wish him well.

drooopy

Feb 27, 2021
Speaking from personal experience, burn out is an ugly thing. Truly. Everyone's recovery time is uniquely their own, so none of us can forecast Stiglet's circumstances, nor can we ascribe motivations, or the lack there of, to him. If and when he returns, he may choose to tell us what transpired. As I said, until then, we watch, wait, hope, and wish him well.
u think i don't want to be wrong, i like this game, but his burnout happened right at the beginning of this project, stuff like this usually happen after years of working on a project, not in its inception.

I wasn't worried in the beginning, but to see him take so much time off indicates he isn't that much into it. His transition into sandbox might not have helped either, to much hassle to keep track of everything.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
u think i don't want to be wrong, i like this game, but his burnout happened right at the beginning of this project, stuff like this usually happen after years of working on a project, not in its inception.

I wasn't worried in the beginning, but to see him take so much time off indicates he isn't that much into it. His transition into sandbox might not have helped either, to much hassle to keep track of everything.
He worked on "The Visit" nonstop for years and actually began working on this game before he finished "The Visit". So while it was early in this VN/game he'd been pushing a long time.

Kubo10

Oct 7, 2018
Well, for me 4 months are quite a long break. I hope nothing happened with him at the moment. Can someone actually in touch with him? asking his condition maybe?

Reactions: PePeTheCoCk

Ssoud

Jul 16, 2017
It's been more than 4 months actually, because the last post is just a christmas message.

I'm no one to say if something happened to him but i dont think the time is indicative of nothing, he has always been clear about if he is working or not and even put his patreon on hold for times likes holidays when no one else does this, if the project is abandoned he would have said it, so we should still believe what he said the last time.

As other people said there is no specific time to recover from burn out so we can only wait and hope he comes back with the same spirit as before.

4.70 star(s) 39 Votes