StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
That sounds amazing. Just to check, are these all going to be required events for every slave or will you be able to choose slaves to personally train? Because I love the idea, but that could get really unruly when I have 700 slaves on my station if I have to manually go through around 5 training events for each of them.
I'm also hoping you'll combine this with the planet archetypes idea, so certain personality archetypes are tied to/more common with certain planets and races. In Stationmaster 1, all of the descriptions are tied solely to 'how' the slave was obtained and never where they were from.
Honestly, though, it sounds like you're putting in a ton of work. Mad respect and we all appreciate it.
For the first question, fuck no, that would be impossible (especially because I'm trying to expand the limit closer to 10k slaves). All of the existing training systems are staying in place. This is specifically related to a new section called the Harem, which is probably just going to replace the singleton assignments like "Bookie" and "Madame." The plan is to make fully-trained harem members grant static bonuses in the same way those did (though some of them are a bit more interesting, like the Privateer, who forces the other factions to keep more of their armies at home).

They aren't really tied to source locations as much as vague strokes about their backstories (Princess vs Middle-Class vs Soldier etc, plus one for each faction leader), mostly because each dimension of variation multiplies the amount of work (if I had a separate chain for "Desert Princess" vs "Asteroid Princess," it would blow up the training events from two novels to ten, and the game would never be done).

As always, thanks! I'm really excited to be able to release this. There's a mountain of stuff to do, but I think it's going to be worth it.

stauffi

Jul 23, 2017
Out of nostalgia tried stationmaster once again. Apart from the visual bugs with clothes etc. the game is still awesome, so if you can fix these visual bugs and a few other stationmaster 2 will get great imho.

Last time i tried an earlier version, but now in version 1.1 i somehow can't see the effects of my policies for my planets as tooltips. Unless i misremember in earlier versions there was a tooltip though, so is there a trick or did i suffer a bug or where those taken out?

stauffi

Jul 23, 2017
I'm pretty sure I broke it while fixing NPC clothing because that entire codebase is a house of cards and all it took was someone breathing in the next room to make it fall apart.
Hehe you could include this as easteregg in Stationmaster 2. Like one NPC you can encounter could be the old stationmaster from Stationmaster 1, explaining that his downfall was caused by passive resistance sabotage of his subjects who managed to make his empire uncontrollable and drove him bankrupt or something like that.

DrLizardman

Apr 28, 2021
Hehe you could include this as easteregg in Stationmaster 2. Like one NPC you can encounter could be the old stationmaster from Stationmaster 1, explaining that his downfall was caused by passive resistance sabotage of his subjects who managed to make his empire uncontrollable and drove him bankrupt or something like that.
I was a god amongst men, impossible

t727

Jan 4, 2018
been playing this and its decent to say the least. Just when I view my slaves, they are all bald? How do I rectify this?
You can modify the hair and many other things using the Rule assistant, if you make it as simple as possible it works.
This can be done per assignment or globally, I suggest you make a save before experimenting with it because some of the Rule assistant actions are irreversible.

LOchar

Feb 25, 2021
You can modify the hair and many other things using the Rule assistant, if you make it as simple as possible it works.
This can be done per assignment or globally, I suggest you make a save before experimenting with it because some of the Rule assistant actions are irreversible.
I am pretty sure can change hair with inspect slaves as well. Tinkering with Rules Assistant was cool but at first I didnt realize was default all selected and messed some things up, but is handy when you want all of a certain job to dress same, I just wish had clothes preview option to see.

t727

Jan 4, 2018
I am pretty sure can change hair with inspect slaves as well. Tinkering with Rules Assistant was cool but at first I didnt realize was default all selected and messed some things up, but is handy when you want all of a certain job to dress same, I just wish had clothes preview option to see.
As far as I know altering the looks of the sla *cough* employees in the inspection screen is done by a mod?

Nov 1, 2017
Ive worked out how to make it work properly, was just a case of restarting the game xD my god though, pregnancy chance is so bloody low on this game, been playing for a couple hours and not woman is knocked up

StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
The pregnancy chance is "realistic" by default, but you can up it a lot with the fertility implant (available once you have the advanced surgery center, IIRC).

Reactions: df223

stauffi

Jul 23, 2017
Looks great.
Will you add huge decorations where you can put in multiple slaves tied together?
Another example would be ponygirl races if the racetrack makes it into stationmaster 2. A mistress in the cart and 4 ponygirl slaves to draw it.

So just some lategame money spenders for extravagant stationmasters :eek:

Reactions: pdpdpd

QuickBob

Oct 27, 2019
For the first question, fuck no, that would be impossible (especially because I'm trying to expand the limit closer to 10k slaves). All of the existing training systems are staying in place. This is specifically related to a new section called the Harem, which is probably just going to replace the singleton assignments like "Bookie" and "Madame." The plan is to make fully-trained harem members grant static bonuses in the same way those did (though some of them are a bit more interesting, like the Privateer, who forces the other factions to keep more of their armies at home).

They aren't really tied to source locations as much as vague strokes about their backstories (Princess vs Middle-Class vs Soldier etc, plus one for each faction leader), mostly because each dimension of variation multiplies the amount of work (if I had a separate chain for "Desert Princess" vs "Asteroid Princess," it would blow up the training events from two novels to ten, and the game would never be done).

As always, thanks! I'm really excited to be able to release this. There's a mountain of stuff to do, but I think it's going to be worth it.
Thank god, XD. I didn't think you'd do it that way, but you never know what gets overlooked when you're working on something this big. Love the harem idea. It sounds more like the Exalted harem than the old Stationmaster suite job, though I liked both.

I wasn't really thinking alternate flavors of the same role ("Desert Princess" vs "Asteroid Princess") before (though I am now) so much as percentages, like "City Girl" has a higher chance to come from a ecumenopolis than a jungle planet while "Cowgirl" has a higher chance to come from a barren desert planet than a tundra world.
At the very least, if you include that idea or not, would you be willing to leave that sort of thing open to modding? I'm not great with code, but I'd be willing to go in and rewrite some of those chains to correspond with different planet archetypes then change the percentages if I can find them.

I'm really looking forward to this no matter what. Stationmaster was the goat and I was loving where Exalted was headed too. But Stationmaster 2 is the greatest thing to happen this year (even if it's not playable till next year, XD)

Reactions: StationmasterDev

StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
That's a good thought, and will definitely be open to modding.

Right now, the list of backgrounds is:

Soldier
Working-Class
Actor
Politician
Princess
Queen
Innocent
Criminal
Primitive
Slave (as in "born into slavery")
Hero

As you can see, they're pretty general. I might add more at some point (my two favorite things in the world are writing and scope-creep), but they need to be pretty broad so that everyone can have something at least slightly reasonable. My current frontrunners are:

Addict (works on everyone)
SemiPrimitive (modern but not spacefaring)
Poor
Rich

Aleks111

Oct 22, 2017
Ok seems like i'm the only one with a loading screen bug? The game loads, and i can click around and interact with things, but the loading screen doesn't disappear so i have no idea what i'm clicking on. Is there a fix for this?

StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
I think that happens when you don't have write permission on the folder you're in. Try moving the game folder to your desktop to test.

QuickBob

Oct 27, 2019
That makes a lot of sense. You're absolutely right. It makes more sense to tie the lower level quirks to locations than the higher level training backgrounds. I think it'll work out great.

3.70 star(s) 53 Votes