ddh8

Mar 4, 2019
They make better proxies, and there are certain events tied to intelligence thresholds.

By default, I think the game pulls Devoted slaves with higher intelligence to be your proxies for planets.

Source: looking at game files, and remembering something the dev said in Discord.

Reactions: Mack Truck

green_vortex

Jun 30, 2018
It heavily depends on management style and skills. Let kids know about mr. Lavrentiy Beria.
Its thin ice, you walk ! The memories of engeneers & scientists, that worked on the project he was responsible for, tells about wery different things , wich almost noone of modern office slaves can afford, correspondig pre-war& after war-situation. like famous "legend" about special plane delivery of top tier swiss chocolate for scientists. But yes after developing in game complex economy model (that more complex than all of turn based strategies together ), kids can be shown valuable society progress from slavery to modern exploitation...

Also you can read about nazis V1 & V2 missile programs, where at Peenemünde Army Research Centre were real slaves without any quotas, read about efficiency, sabotages and so on ... so, Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun, can tell us way more about slavery in high tech projects...

Uptime Lurker

Jul 29, 2018
Its thin ice, you walk ! The memories of engeneers & scientists, that worked on the project he was responsible for, tells about wery different things , wich almost noone of modern office slaves can afford, correspondig pre-war& after war-situation. like famous "legend" about special plane delivery of top tier swiss chocolate for scientists. But yes after developing in game complex economy model (that more complex than all of turn based strategies together ), kids can be shown valuable society progress from slavery to modern exploitation...

Also you can read about nazis V1 & V2 missile programs, where at Peenemünde Army Research Centre were real slaves without any quotas, read about efficiency, sabotages and so on ... so, Wernher Magnus Maximilian Freiherr von Braun, can tell us way more about slavery in high tech projects...
Okay, fine. Management style, skills and chocolate supply. Kids like sweets.

Jun 27, 2018
There's slavery and slavery. The slavery of Roman temple girls, owned by the previous generation of temple girls and buyinmg the next, vs the slavery of mining teams sent to die for their labors, vs the slavery of sometimes well paid professionals in cities, that would be respected and wealthy of their own accord while still being owned by a particular branch of some Roman family. The slavery of america was an offshoot of the general shittiness of colonialism, taking advantage of the lesser and keeping them in their place. Hence the idea of an "uppity" man that wishes to rise to a station his masters deem too far. A more Roman idea of slavery, or possibly a merely hyper-capitalistic libertarian slavery, based in selling one's family and self when debt obligations cannot be fulfilled, needs not have the same repugnance.

It would have its own, clinical repugnance. An ever-present terror in the hearts of all citizens, from the greatest to the meekest, that the slightest failure can sell you and your progeny into horror without end.

But a scientist that is owned by a given family, station or even a specific powerful individual need not feel automatically begrudged. If they come from a world where slavery is begrudging, sure. But many would exist in the greater galactic system, and selling yourself to a guild that trains doctors and then rents them out, or sells them with an attached set of requirements of ownership might be a perfectly acceptable and even admirable position.

"Why did you bother to purchase me if you aren't going to give me the funding I require. You're wasting my talents developing this drivel. Sell me to someone of ambition. You'll have coin and I'll have real purpose"

Think more along the lines of kings, or the god kings of antiquity. For anyone not born to these impenetrable vaulted classes of humanity, they would merely be the accepted backdrop of reality. What is the difference in swearing loyalty to kings, or selling loyalty to the individual institiutions of an immortal transhuman malignance?

Don't sell yourself to a devil. Blame fate if your chosen master is cast down or sells you. For high value slaves like doctors, and the like, they would never be mistreated. You don't shit on your pilots. You grant them excellent quarters and slaves of their own. They fly billion credit machines to your glory. They are your knights. You exalt them, within their orders. You yourself remain unknowable to them.

I am certainly not advocating slavery here, of course. Whereever it raises its brutish face, suffering shall no doubt soon follow. But a fictional society can certainly have grown to accept slavery in ways that makes being bought and sold little different to a company acquiring the business that owns your business and selling it again afterwards. There would be social stigmas against buying an accountant firm and feeding all of them to a cosmic horror, and few would be willing to deal with you if they believed such a fate could also become them.

But none would bat an eye at criminals, scum, enemies, traitors and unknowns from distant shores falling into its insatiable gullet. Pleasure girls need not know of the feitsh stranglers, nor from where the cafeteria mince arises.

> Games should give kids correct knwoleges & dependencies

Kids should never touch this wonderful abomination.

mecha_froggy

Oct 17, 2018
There's slavery and slavery.
I think what you've described is more or less slavery versus indentured servitude.

For those not familiar, indentured servitude was a big thing back when America was being colonized as a way for poor people to escape to "the new world" when they couldn't afford boat tickets. They'd basically offer to work as almost slaves for X number of years when they arrived in order to pay off their debts.

Likewise, in more modern and fictional settings, it is often seen as a form of debt collection - even Mass Effect has a scene where some girl is offering to put herself up for an indentured servant contract to pay off her gambling debts.

The two principle differences are these:

1. Indentured servants are volunteers, at least usually - debt collection is the exception, but even then can be seen as an alternative to debtor's prisons.
2. Indentured servants still have some rights, because they're under a legally binding contract.
3. Indentured servants know that someday they'll be free to go once their contract or debt is fullfilled.

It's easiest to just think of them as salaried employees who got all their pay up front and now have to actually work the hours to justify that pay, and they aren't allowed to quit until they've made that quota. As opposed to a normal employee who works first and gets paid after the work is done and quit whenever they want to.

Needless to say, many people who consider slavery repugnant still have little to no issue with the idea of indentured servants. After all, they're getting paid, even if they never actually see any of that money.

If you think about it, the classic prison "chain gang" that does construction jobs are effectively indentured servants as well. So in a round-about way it sort of still exists today, even in America.

Jun 27, 2018
slavery versus indentured servitude
That is also a good view. But Romans had many types of slaves. Sex slaves and labor slaves in plenty, of course. Slaves for house work, slaves for brothels, slaves for priests, public slaves owned by Rome itself to perform government tasks. Some slaves were allowed to earn money they could then spend, and some slaves, such as tutors, would be well received, well treated and well paid. They were teaching the next generation of your family, after all, and the children would often love, or at the least respect them.

And I was serious with the example of doctors. To poke around in the flesh, deal with sick and diseased was not well looked upon. To quote an easily searched source, "The 'doctors' in ancient Rome were not nearly as highly regarded as the doctors in Greece. The profession itself, outside of the legions, was considered a low social position, fit for slaves, freedmen and non-latin citizens, mainly Greeks"

Slavery started in Rome with the ability of fathers to sell their children. Citizens of conquered cities could be enslaved and sold to put money into the coffers of Rome. Criminals and those in debt could be enslaved. It was a harse, but common sentence. And those slaves had no standing. They were not people under law, but objects. If their master chose to work them to death, fuck them to death, the law did not care any more than if their master should choose to pour out good wine. A waste, but such would be the business of the one wasting his wine.

quick addition: Something like 9 of 10 people living in Rome were slaves. The life of a slave under one of the many patrician families of Rome was not unusual, it was the rule. And they had no power. Hence the various uprisings, and the particular viciousness of the Romans casting them back down. When Sparticus rebelled, they crucified a slave every few hundred feet from the bottom of the Italian peninsula all the way back to Rome itself.

DiableFripon

Oct 4, 2017
why the fuck marketplace background noises are Turkish? oh fuck lol
it seems logical to me. the Ottoman Empire was surely the most slave trader state that ever was of the history. moreover it is Turkish that we come to the harem.
(sorry for my english)

Ocha

Aug 21, 2017
I can't seem to build anything, even when the tutorial asks for a 2x2 sized bar. I can click and drag as much as I want but nothing happens. :\

Q Who

Donor
May 16, 2017
construction jobs are effectively indentured servants as well
They don't force you to work so no they are not servants. They apply for work details because it is a change for the daily boredom of prison life and a chance to get outside the 4 walls of the prison.

StationmasterDev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
At its core, this game is satire of anarcho-capitalism gone the way of Calhoun's Universe 25 (in my humble opinion).

The joke is how terrible the universe is from every perspective but the player character's. Your various atrocities don't even really register on the scale of shitty things that happen on a daily basis, and most of the other faction leaders see the murderous sadism as a mild eccentricity (they're mostly miserable and preoccupied with their own problems anyway). The only happy people are the ones who don't know anything about the galactic community, and they routinely get found and paved over by more advanced groups.

It pretty much follows from that AnCap core that that free people in this universe are not that meaningfully different from slaves (no independent police force is going to tangle with a powerful corporation for any reason). Therefore, there's nothing to stop powerful people from raiding independent worlds and taking people indiscriminately regardless of education, wealth, or any other factor.

Historical slave states have always had a problem with disobedience, but the beyond-Orwellian surveillance on your station makes that essentially impossible. There's an event where you punish a slave for walking too slowly to her duties, and it's implied that it's something that would be automatically be handled by the security drones if you didn't do anything about it yourself.

The only reason I don't think slave researchers make sense in-universe is that it takes place after computers have vastly outstripped human capacity for reasoning. That's why nobody really does anything productive except for sex work.

Fortunately, not everything has to make perfect sense. I'm sure there's a hand-wave in there somewhere that would make it work (the chrono chamber doesn't make any sense after all, but it's there anyway).

3.70 star(s) 53 Votes