VN Ren'Py Straight!? [Revamp v0.11.1] [Aaryn]

4.90 star(s) 51 Votes

assholisms

Aug 26, 2018
I hate you so much Aaryn.

Since Tumblr went to shit I started playing every other game in this website, even the straight incesty ones, and nothing came close to giving me my Straight!? fix. I really wish you started giving writing classes. Still can't believe it's been over a year since I checked it out solely for the smut and stayed because of the great writing and the cutest romance I've ever seen.

And as always you're such a tease with the cuteness I've developed a habit of changing to the next line with my eyes closed to prepare for the inevitable end of the update. I never thought I'd have this strong of an emotional attachment to any piece of media, so I can only hope you're doing well and that you keep it up. God knows you're basically carrying the entire gay romance genre in VNs on your and your co-writer's back.

assholisms

Aug 26, 2018
Just played the new version (Patreon ftw) and, man, this story just keeps getting better. It's kind of funny that I reviewed it so many versions ago because the renderings, the story, the improvements have just been more and more outstanding. I know when it gets uploaded here that the followers will be like "Omg! Braden!"

I just had to tell you Great job Aaryn (y)
The game has overall improved a lot to the point I can barely remember the early releases. And I thought I wouldn't like Braden transitioning out of twink status but he looks really hot. I didn't like Zack's new hair but honestly I couldn't give less of a shit when they're this adorable with one another.

AngreeWookie

Dec 30, 2017
I like seeing Braden grow up a little. I have friends that, at 23, still looked like they were barely out of adolescence. I'm just waiting for the update where Aaryn and Blayke (sorry new dude it'll take me a while before I know how to spell it) decide to turn them both into bears. <- lol God, if that happens I will be upset.

The dialogue from Braden and Zack has just improved so much, as well as the 'opening up' of the relationship. I keep going back to the pool scene where there was so much conflict and am glad for all the sweetness that developed since that update.

I am always preparing myself for the end of an update too. This latest update had a great deal of content, so it felt really well resolved. Plus, the whole 'worst gay guy ever' conversations are relateable and funny. Looking forward to other peoples reactions too.

Reactions: topgamer

assholisms

Aug 26, 2018
What's especially interesting to me is how the writing was always there at a similar quality, but with a better grasp of the characters themselves as well as their perceptions of one another it just works like magic. I used to send countless asks to aaryn on tumblr to gush about the project and it always feels like I'm excessively kissing his ass and bothering him but it just keeps getting better.

It's really weird to have found this game with Braden's design and huge cock being my only incentive and now just looking forward to their banter. While I still have my reservations with the whole "I'm not one of those gays" aspect of the story, as it progresses it seems the writing is self-aware enough to apparently be angling for a closer examination of that particular story beat.

Now onto furiously refreshing his patreon page 30 times a day again until I see a "Current progress on v.0.16".

topgamer

Jun 29, 2018
Zack's "Oil Accident" was so tragic yet entertaining:ROFLMAO:, just imaging his parent found oiled up Zack butt naked laying on the floor and cums everywhere.

And Braden oh boy he grow fast. Also loving the new jockstrap.

I have a feeling that it will be a very interesting morning yet to come.:devilish:

Reactions: AngreeWookie

risada_maniaca

Jul 26, 2017
I still curse you Aaryn. How do you dare to make a game so f** great, touching and erotic (the good kind) at the same time.

Really good work with the story progression and art of the game. On the way to a masterpiece I would say. And thank you for taking the time to talk with the community after each upgrade. You are a great person and an even greater game creator!

tara66

Dec 24, 2018
i tried to start it from the save i have from the last ver and got an error screen

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Keep getting error at the coffe shop scene, anyone have similiar issue?
i tried to start it from the save i have from the last ver and got an error screen
So there's a warning at the beginning of the game not to use old saves because it will causes crashes and errors. You should always start a new game when playing a new update. @Theboss3213 I'm not sure if this would cause your error, too; but normally that's the case.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Hey all,
So thanks for the comments and feedback on v0.14. I'm really behind on replying due to workload stuff so i wanted to check in. I always made a point to respond to all the comments but I'm still trying to catch up so I'm going to have to generally say a thanks. You guys are always heavy on the praise and people seem to really like this update...honestly, it turned out as one of my favs, too.

I love the teasing in this one but I'm still trying to make the teasing work and not just be deliberate and pointless like some other games on here.

Seriously, though, guys...thanks for the luv :)

tara66

Dec 24, 2018
Hey all,
So thanks for the comments and feedback on v0.14. I'm really behind on replying due to workload stuff so i wanted to check in. I always made a point to respond to all the comments but I'm still trying to catch up so I'm going to have to generally say a thanks. You guys are always heavy on the praise and people seem to really like this update...honestly, it turned out as one of my favs, too.

I love the teasing in this one but I'm still trying to make the teasing work and not just be deliberate and pointless like some other games on here.

Seriously, though, guys...thanks for the luv :)
ok thanx i forgot about that

Reactions: Aaryn

epsillon123

Jul 20, 2017
So the last time I played was an early version, and at the time I was excited but decided to wait for it to finish. I saw this pop up on the updates and then saw people praising the writing, and decided to give it an early try. I'm so glad I did. Overall, it's great, but holy fuck Zack's scene on the bench at night! I don't think I've ever identified with a fictional character like that before. This is going to cause some serious introspection over the coming weeks.

On a less interesting note, I had some errors during the haircut scene. New game from the beginning, no old saves. Mostly "Sayer r is not a function or string"

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
So the last time I played was an early version, and at the time I was excited but decided to wait for it to finish. I saw this pop up on the updates and then saw people praising the writing, and decided to give it an early try. I'm so glad I did. Overall, it's great, but holy fuck Zack's scene on the bench at night! I don't think I've ever identified with a fictional character like that before. This is going to cause some serious introspection over the coming weeks.

On a less interesting note, I had some errors during the haircut scene. New game from the beginning, no old saves. Mostly "Sayer r is not a function or string"
Heya,
glad you finally gave it a try--especially after the early builds where I was still trying to find the game's identity. The bench scene and that entire chapter 6 is heavy and that's the way I wanted it. I'm flattered my game made you think. That's one of my goals for this project.

The haircut error was driving me crazy. That's fixed in a few version off the Patreon site. I just didn't post it here again because I haven't had time.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I'm glad you enjoyed it. there's still a ton of story left between these two

Pretender_027

Jan 3, 2018
It's a great story and I can't wait to see what's coming next, especially after Branden told Zack he can stay in the bed with him.

Just a few comments on those screen in the changing room when they took off the clothes, it seems their clothes just simply disappeared given that I couldn't find any of their clothes hanged up on the hooks or left on the floors. Similarly as they don't have any backpacks or bags carried I got the question where they have their old clothes hide when they walking after shopping.

Anyway I am also curious when they have their conversation during dinner or in the cafe, will there be any difference if I chose in a different order? thanks.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
It's a great story and I can't wait to see what's coming next, especially after Branden told Zack he can stay in the bed with him.

Just a few comments on those screen in the changing room when they took off the clothes, it seems their clothes just simply disappeared given that I couldn't find any of their clothes hanged up on the hooks or left on the floors. Similarly as they don't have any backpacks or bags carried I got the question where they have their old clothes hide when they walking after shopping.

Anyway I am also curious when they have their conversation during dinner or in the cafe, will there be any difference if I chose in a different order? thanks.
So a lot of these cosmetic aspects to the game could be addressed in the final draft. If you're a newer follower, keep in mind, this entire game is a rough draft...i'm just releasing it episodically. I had no idea what I was doing on any of this so everything you see is experimental. When doing visuals, it becomes an argument of priority and little things like your suggestion sorta get put on the backburner. Right now, there's me doing the majority of stuff with a co-writer that I recently brought onboard for extra help. We still finding our way to address more cosmetic things but little steps like that take hours or days to implement so sometimes they get ignored. I would like to address things like that in the revised version, though.

Most of the conversation options wont change much depending on the order. I like just being able to categorize things. However, sometimes when you choose one option, it will unlock another choice

jardacalling

Nov 14, 2018
Dat new animated main menu, all dat Braden wisdom...I said before I was enamored with these characters, but now...now I feel legit in love with them. And I'll miss them dearly until the next update. And seeing how characters are just reflections of their creators, I guess I'm saying I'm in love with you. :sneaky:

What shocks me the most is how you're able to maintain consistency. In the writing's quality, in the characters' behaviour, in how organically their relationship evolves. This deserves to be so much more than 'just another VN'. It's such an impeccable study on what happens between two open people close to one another I feel like it should be used as a template, not only for future attempts at romantic fiction, but let some aspiring psychologists get a real insight for once as well.

Reactions: assholisms

assholisms

Aug 26, 2018
Dat new animated main menu, all dat Braden wisdom...I said before I was enamored with these characters, but now...now I feel legit in love with them. And I'll miss them dearly until the next update. And seeing how characters are just reflections of their creators, I guess I'm saying I'm in love with you. :sneaky:

What shocks me the most is how you're able to maintain consistency. In the writing's quality, in the characters' behaviour, in how organically their relationship evolves. This deserves to be so much more than 'just another VN'. It's such an impeccable study on what happens between two open people close to one another I feel like it should be used as a template, not only for future attempts at romantic fiction, but let some aspiring psychologists get a real insight for once as well.
Yup. Aaryn has mentioned in the past that he sometimes feels the praise this VN gets is excessive but it really deserves it. If my bitter gay ass can care about these characters more than I care about people I know in real life it's because it really is something special.

And I too was always curious about just how much of the characters are based on the Aaryn himself but decided against asking about it because I thought it could possibly be too personal.

Aaryn

Game Developer
May 4, 2017

Yup. Aaryn has mentioned in the past that he sometimes feels the praise this VN gets is excessive but it really deserves it. If my bitter gay ass can care about these characters more than I care about people I know in real life it's because it really is something special.

And I too was always curious about just how much of the characters are based on the Aaryn himself but decided against asking about it because I thought it could possibly be too personal.
omg, you guys are killing me. I'm glad you liked the newest episode. Credit for the animation is not mine, I got a guy that I'll talk about later related to that. But that animation is life, he made it for me as a Christmas gift and shit made me cry. It's sooooo well done and so I had to share it with everyone else. It's perfect for a main menu and it's been modified a few time to include an insane amount of Easter eggs about the game.

In terms of the personal question: this is something I haven't fully answered but have dropped a few hints on various boards, the Patreon, and on Discord. The story is fictional but there are definitely elements of personal truth within it. I won't say which parts. For those that were around for much of v11 and v12 when shit went ultra-dramatic, I had to go to some pretty dark places to write that shit. In short, personality-wise, I'm a mix of of the main characters: I have Zack's overanalysis/shyness, Braden's sarcasm, and Mikhail's loyalty and outlook for the most part.

But thank you, I know I say that a lot and it just seems hollow compared to the reaction I have when I read posts like these. Thanks guys :)

Reactions: assholisms
4.90 star(s) 51 Votes