JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
I 100% agree with every point you said. But most of my approach as a dev is inspired by what I used to like seeing from devs and games as a player. I liked games that had longer updates, regardless of the frequency (as you can tell from my favourites being Eternum and Once in a Lifetime). And I liked devs that were very straight forward with us players and active around their game's community.
I myself was wavering between splitting or not, because not splitting would probably mean an extraordinarily long chapter albeit with more content than usual but one that would significantly exceed my average, or usual if you will, chapter development time. (It could take more than 3 months if it's not split.)
Where as two parts would probably be slightly smaller than the average release with more or less the usual development time.
So, it was a tough decision either way, both options had their ups and downs, and I as a player would've like to be asked what I thought about it.
Cool. Totally understand that. Very rarely developers asked their fans ( publicly ) about long vs short release cycle, and I 'monitor' over 100 games only 3 that I come across ( that I remembered ). 2 of which has split 50-50 and the other favor towards long cycle. So, let's see what kind of players this game has.

I think Caribdis can have longer release because he can afford it, he has the required resources ( a team perhaps but most importantly the invaluable experience as 'veteran' developer ).

But yeah, ultimately there is no right or wrong, or a silver/golden bullet but it is a learning process, discovering what works best and what not (y).

Reactions: Flynn974

Flynn974

Developer of Stray Incubus
Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Yup. It looks like the votes are very much in favour of splitting. Highly unlikely that it'll flip around now.
1679549917879.png

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: JohnF95zone

Swinglow

May 18, 2020
Well... The issue is that I'm limited by 2 channels with totally controllable behaviour, being 'music' and 'sound'. So, I usually assign all background stuff (music included) to 'music' whereas the other effects (doors for example) are mostly assigned to 'sound'. I actually kinda partly copied this from Once in a Life Time since I had no idea how to handle stuff like this :ROFLMAO:
Do you guys think it'd be better to assign ambient sounds, like say... rain, to 'sound' rather than 'music'? It's probably doable without looping issues. But that way, the ambient sounds' relative volume would be synced with sound effects rather than with the background music.
I like the idea of having the background sounds with the sounds effects instead. Don't want to be "that one guy", but it just makes sense to me.
Also I can feel the influence of OIAL in the game in general, which is great since it's one of my favorite games of all time. Makes me wonder why no patreon?

Last edited:

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
I like the idea of having the background sounds with the sounds effects instead. Don't want to be "that one guy", but it just makes sense to me.
Also I can feel the influence of OIAL in the game in general, which is great since it's one of my favorite games of all time. Makes me wonder why no patreon?
I think I'll change the background to the sound channel in the next update, or at least test it that way to see which is better.
Regarding Patreon, I don't want to open one at the moment, because I don't want to have to deal with managing it. I have lots and lots of stuff going on right now. Work, uni, trying for other plans that are quite demanding (don't want to get into details).
So anyway, I'm making the game because I enjoy it. I use it to fill my free time, which I don't have lots of, but I usually do have a few hours a day, where I can do this. So, it's like a hobby. I may open a Patreon or something similar in the future if I feel like things have settled down enough and I feel confident that I can run and manage a business, because that's what Patreon basically is.

Tenpouin

Sep 6, 2020
I forgot to post this before with the typos but I got an error that I was able to ignore. Probably already fixed though but still worth a shot

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
I forgot to post this before with the typos but I got an error that I was able to ignore. Probably already fixed though but still worth a shot
Yeah, there is a syntax error in the code, not sure if it is fixed yet but it is there for quite some time now:
script.rpy
Code:
13043         with Pause(2,5)
dot instead of comma there.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Yeah, there is a syntax error in the code, not sure if it is fixed yet but it is there for quite some time now:
script.rpy
Code:
13043         with Pause(2,5)
dot instead of comma there.
Yup. It's like John said. It's safe to just ignore that one. I already fixed it in my script. Thanks!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: JohnF95zone

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Hey, guys!
So, the chapter has been split into two parts. I was wavering what I should name the whole thing... But now that it's split, the first half is probably gonna be called "Stray". Don't ask, I know it's weird.
If the chapter poll taught me anything, it's that this chapter is probably gonna be liked more than Mirror. I'm still a bit heartbroken my favourite chapter (Mirror) wasn't more liked. XD
Anyway, I feel like this one if gonna be kinda similar to chapter 6 (The Butcher of Esyl 2).
Also, there was supposed to be a surprise cameo from one of my favourite characters in other games in this chapter. I contacted the creator and they said it'd be okay. They were very cool about it, and I was honestly surprised by their reply.
But now that it's split, the cameo is gonna have to be in the second half.
Don't ask who. I'm not gonna say! Wait for the release XD!
HS2_2023-03-24-19-10-33-582.png Here are some peeks: (Spoilers...)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Hey, guys!
So, the chapter has been split into two parts. I was wavering what I should name the whole thing... But now that it's split, the first half is probably gonna be called "Stray". Don't ask, I know it's weird.
If the chapter poll taught me anything, it's that this chapter is probably gonna be liked more than Mirror. I'm still a bit heartbroken my favourite chapter (Mirror) wasn't more liked. XD
Anyway, I feel like this one if gonna be kinda similar to chapter 6 (The Butcher of Esyl 2).
Also, there was supposed to be a surprise cameo from one of my favourite characters in other games in this chapter. I contacted the creator and they said it'd be okay. They were very cool about it, and I was honestly surprised by their reply.
View attachment 2492024 Here are some peeks: (Spoilers...)
Did I miss something or did the most recent update not end on a cliffhanger with us looking into the mirror shard?

Because if I'm right, I can kinda see why you liked it, but while it was a good update with some moments I loved, it still felt very much like a preparation chapter. Like "here's the scary mystery" and the next update is "now off you go and solve it".
So I think most of us are just looking forward to the payoff to the buildup

Reactions: zeph19 and Flynn974

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Did I miss something or did the most recent update not end on a cliffhanger with us looking into the mirror shard?

Because if I'm right, I can kinda see why you liked it, but while it was a good update with some moments I loved, it still felt very much like a preparation chapter. Like "here's the scary mystery" and the next update is "now off you go and solve it".
So I think most of us are just looking forward to the payoff to the buildup
Well, the game isn't a sandbox. So you're probably never gonna be solving a mystery yourself. More like a movie version of a mystery where you watch it being unraveled by the characters.

Reactions: Zoa

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Well, the game isn't a sandbox. So you're probably never gonna be solving a mystery yourself. More like a movie version of a mystery where you watch it being unraveled by the characters.
That what i meant, like how we/MC solved the curse of the town of the faceless god. Or is this going to be different?

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Oh. I guess it's somewhat different.
For full transparency I would say that we killed the furry . We didn't watch it be done.

I personally see the player character as myself or my representative in games, and VNs are no exception, especially when I can name the character.

I understand that most of our player control and input is generally limited to how we interact with the various love interests rather than directly effecting the story

So when you say we'll watch the mystery be solved, rather than solving it, I'd see it as we the player watching us the MC solving the mystery and playing our the fixed parts of the story, if that makes any sense

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
For full transparency I would say that we killed the furry . We didn't watch it be done.

I personally see the player character as myself or my representative in games, and VNs are no exception, especially when I can name the character.

I understand that most of our player control and input is generally limited to how we interact with the various love interests rather than directly effecting the story

So when you say we'll watch the mystery be solved, rather than solving it, I'd see it as we the player watching us the MC solving the mystery and playing our the fixed parts of the story, if that makes any sense
Oh? That's an interesting way to look at it. I like that!

Reactions: S1nsational

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Hey, guys!
View attachment 2492024 Here are some peeks: (Spoilers...)
wait... did I miss an update? you are talking about the story after mirror.
but last I checked mirror stopped on a cliffhanger.
so is there already an update out there that finishes mirror?
and you are now working on the next chapter after mirror?

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
wait... did I miss an update? you are talking about the story after mirror.
but last I checked mirror stopped on a cliffhanger.
so is there already an update out there that finishes mirror?
and you are now working on the next chapter after mirror?
Nope. Mirror is the last chapter and did end with a cliffhanger. I'm still working on chapter 8 (right after Mirror), but I decided to split it into two parts cause it was too long.

Reactions: Kingkyrule
4.70 star(s) 133 Votes