Flynn974

Developer of Stray Incubus
Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Sorry if its seems like i'm treating you like an idiot with some of them but you are probably already multitasking as it is and its easier just to go "oh right".
No. Not at all.
Thank you for doing this! It's a great help! I often rely on people spotting typos in 0.Xa versions of my game, and usually release an 0.Xb version with the typos and bugs fixed a week or two later after people have spotted and pointed out most of them. So, this is gold to me. Thanks a lot for taking the time! :)

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Oh, and I didn't release 0.7b yet because there's nothing game-breaking in 0.7a as far as I can tell, and I've been a bit too busy last week... I'll probably do it eventually XD

Deleted member 2553135

Jul 3, 2020
Better late than never, but it was a good update overall. The stuff with Margo is the part I disliked most with this update.

Regarding the sound, I think it was okay overall. Some of the sound effects seemed to play after the deed was done (with some of the horror sound effects, played after the "scary" part, so it did not have much effect imo).

Reactions: Flynn974

punisher2099

Forum Fanatic
Feb 25, 2020
You will have to figure that one out on your own. As it is not my intent to causing any fights or arguments here on this forum. I respect you choice and idea's but I will not support them or any form of them. Please respect my anonymity. Thanks
Oh don't worry wouldn't be F95zone without at least a dozen or so each day. :ROFLMAO:

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Some of the sound effects seemed to play after the deed was done (with some of the horror sound effects, played after the "scary" part, so it did not have much effect imo).
Oh?
Do you remember at which point? And did you use Ctrl to skip beforehand?

Deleted member 2553135

Jul 3, 2020
Oh?
Do you remember at which point? And did you use Ctrl to skip beforehand?
I do not think I skipped or pressed too quickly (it is possible but I do not believe so).
The 2 I remember off my head are the VN mode of the sandbox with Venus (when she tries to spook MC, the image and dialogue came first then the sound about a second later), and the ripping sound when finding the diary. Both just seemed to come into too late for the sounds to have the desired affects.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
I do not think I skipped or pressed too quickly (it is possible but I do not believe so).
The 2 I remember off my head are the VN mode of the sandbox with Venus (when she tries to spook MC, the image and dialogue came first then the sound about a second later), and the ripping sound when finding the diary. Both just seemed to come into too late for the sounds to have the desired affects.
The ripping sound is supposed to be synced with the long dissolve transition to depict that the ripping took place off-screen. Did it not give this impression?
I'll check the jumpscare, maybe I misplaced the play function.

AbsoluteWhite

Sep 29, 2017
honestly loved it i just hope you don't burnout because i love the pace .
the only thing i was annoyed with was how the ninjas got promoted too easily . but i understand they are supposedly just normal kids with sticks but really the game makes it sound like the purple belt means you are very proficient and seems like a huge gap .

Deleted member 2553135

Jul 3, 2020
The ripping sound is supposed to be synced with the long dissolve transition to depict that the ripping took place off-screen. Did it not give this impression?
Maybe that is the problem. Whenever I play the scene, the MC is already sitting with the book when I heard the sound; if the sound is meant for between the transition, that would make more sense.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Maybe that is the problem. Whenever I play the scene, the MC is already sitting with the book when I heard the sound; if the sound is meant for between the transition, that would make more sense.
The ripping sound should've been at the transition... Let me check it again. I might've messed up a few lines between normal and VN mode, I guess.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
the only thing i was annoyed with was how the ninjas got promoted too easily . but i understand they are supposedly just normal kids with sticks but really the game makes it sound like the purple belt means you are very proficient and seems like a huge gap .
The ninja promotion is not easy at all. The dialogues between Candy and Torr mentioned it. It basically accelerated for them mainly because of the MC and the circusmtances around him.

Personally, I loved it because at least she-Naruto Torr ( IMO the worst ninja:ROFLMAO: ) is so much delighted about it, otherwise the player will hear her frustation over and over again:p. It is also a nice 'buildup' to her backstory ( and her family ). I don't exactly know what storytelling technique that is but it is definitely more interesting than just Torr just telling the MC her backstory and about her family for no reason, just like in most movies.

To iterate, the ninja promotion ( for Candy and Torr expecially ) is not the rule or norm, but rather an exception case.

Swinglow

May 18, 2020
Love this game, the sexy time music isn't my cup of tea. Wish I could turn it off without losing the sound effects like rain, and fire crackling.

• Red Heart

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Love this game, the sexy time music isn't my cup of tea. Wish I could turn it off without losing the sound effects like rain, and fire crackling.
Best option for you now ( if you want to replay it ), is to replace the file audio/Jazz.mp3 with something else that you would enjoy or a silent mp3 file. That mp3 file is used for the sexy time scenes for this version.

You can mute the Music in the Options but then all the other 17 scenes will also be muted ( no music ) as well, sound effects will still be there.

Fine grain control over the music, sound and voice is not worth it IMO. Anyway, with good naming convention ( as a start ) then players can 'mod' the audio as they wish.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Purple is just one rank above white. That's how I remembered it being in my Karate academy when I was a kid. Many pointed out that this order is wrong, but I decided to stick to it after all.

Reactions: Kingkyrule

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Well... The issue is that I'm limited by 2 channels with totally controllable behaviour, being 'music' and 'sound'. So, I usually assign all background stuff (music included) to 'music' whereas the other effects (doors for example) are mostly assigned to 'sound'. I actually kinda partly copied this from Once in a Life Time since I had no idea how to handle stuff like this :ROFLMAO:
Do you guys think it'd be better to assign ambient sounds, like say... rain, to 'sound' rather than 'music'? It's probably doable without looping issues. But that way, the ambient sounds' relative volume would be synced with sound effects rather than with the background music.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
It is also a nice 'buildup' to her backstory ( and her family ). I don't exactly know what storytelling technique that is but it is definitely more interesting than just Torr just telling the MC her backstory and about her family for no reason, just like in most movies.
Eh. You could always just casually tell someone your entire backstory. Totally happens in real life all the time.
1679489171245.png

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
There's a vote for splitting the next chapter on discord btw.
It closes tomorrow and the progress update will be on Saturday according to the poll results.
1679520855931.png

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: JohnF95zone

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
There's a vote for splitting the next chapter on discord btw.
It closes tomorrow and the progress update will be on Saturday according to the poll results.
View attachment 2487833
IMO, with regards to development pace, it should NOT be up to the users/players, but entirely dependent on the developer.

In general, it is often best to Release Early, Release Often ( RERO ) for a few reasons, mainly:
1. Tight Feedbacks from players.
2. Reduced scope usually translate to reduced bugs.
3. Easier and quicker turnaround to fix issues or adding features/enhancements.

Split release best fit this RERO philosophy.

But, I will accept ( with heavy hearts:cry: ) what the accordians decide tomorrow:ROFLMAO::p. Cheers.

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
IMO, with regards to development pace, it should NOT be up to the users/players, but entirely dependent on the developer.

In general, it is often best to Release Early, Release Often ( RERO ) for a few reasons, mainly:
1. Tight Feedbacks from players.
2. Reduced scope usually translate to reduced bugs.
3. Easier and quicker turnaround to fix issues or adding features/enhancements.

Split release best fit this RERO philosophy.

But, I will accept ( with heavy hearts:cry: ) what the accordians decide tomorrow:ROFLMAO::p. Cheers.
I 100% agree with every point you said. But most of my approach as a dev is inspired by what I used to like seeing from devs and games as a player. I liked games that had longer updates, regardless of the frequency (as you can tell from my favourites being Eternum and Once in a Lifetime). And I liked devs that were very straight forward with us players and active around their game's community.
I myself was wavering between splitting or not, because not splitting would probably mean an extraordinarily long chapter albeit with more content than usual but one that would significantly exceed my average, or usual if you will, chapter development time. (It could take more than 3 months if it's not split.)
Where as two parts would probably be slightly smaller than the average release with more or less the usual development time.
So, it was a tough decision either way, both options had their ups and downs, and I as a player would've like to be asked what I thought about it.

4.70 star(s) 133 Votes