Flynn974

Developer of Stray Incubus
Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Just a head's up: the 0.9b .pc.zip GOFILE d/l is malformed / not working. (And yes, I can happily d/l from other GOFILE links). When you go to d/l it, it just times out without a d/l.

So, might want to check that.
Would you provide me with the error log? The gofile file works for me...

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Would you provide me with the error log? The gofile file works for me...
Usually malformed just means that the downloaded file is corrupted, which means it cannot be extracted correctly. It could be that the uploaded file was corrupt, there is connection issue while downloading or some other things.

He seems to have issue with the download itself i.e. no file was actually downloaded. So, not sure what the issue is there.

Since you have verified that the gofile works, then it is most likely an issue on his end. Unless there are more people experiencing similar issues, this can be regarded as solved or no longer an issue.

Reactions: Flynn974

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Usually malformed just means that the downloaded file is corrupted, which means it cannot be extracted correctly. It could be that the uploaded file was corrupt, there is connection issue while downloading or some other things.

He seems to have issue with the download itself i.e. no file was actually downloaded. So, not sure what the issue is there.

Since you have verified that the gofile works, then it is most likely an issue on his end. Unless there are more people experiencing similar issues, this can be regarded as solved or no longer an issue.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I tried downloading the 0.9b gofile PC file, and the game works fine thankfully...

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: JohnF95zone

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Rex Blue Can you kindly fix your review of the game? One thing for sure, don't just make up stuff, this game is not a kinetic novel. The story is almost linear with no hard branching but it is definitely not kinetic novel as per this site rule. The first sentence of your review can potentially mislead those who reads it. The choices in this game affect relationship points, alter the flow of the game and/or offer variations to the scenes, among other things. Example is given below by Overlord070, here.

Also generically speaking, it doesn't really follow the review guidelines because you simply reviewing the story and characters of the game, and hardly anything about the game itself.

But yeah, you do you. I am not saying the review is bad or anything ( although it does shows that you didn't quite get it with some things about the plot/story and the game ), but I hope you can write better reviews, not just for this game but for any other games in general in the future.

P/S: I don't mean for you to change the ratings, it is your verdict. I just meant the contents of the review. At least, keep it inline with the facts.

Last edited:

Overlord070

Jan 21, 2021
Rex Blue Can you kindly fix your review of the game? One thing for sure, don't just make up stuff, this game is not a kinetic novel. The story is almost linear with no hard branching but it is definitely not kinetic novel as per this site rule. The first sentence of your review can potentially mislead those who reads it. The choices in this game affect relationship points, alter the flow of the game and/or offer variations to the scenes, among other things.

Also generically speaking, it doesn't really follow the review guidelines because you simply reviewing the story and characters of the game, and hardly anything about the game itself.

But yeah, you do you. I am not saying the review is bad or anything ( although it does shows that you didn't quite get it with some things about the plot/story and the game ), but I hope you can write better reviews, not just for this game but for any other games in general in the future.
There's a part in the VN where you choose to either stay at school or head home which leads you to different scenes and allows you to meet certain characters earlier. Pretty sure just having that excludes it from being a Kinetic Novel.

Bradd D

Oct 8, 2022
Oh, I see. Yeah, I tried downloading the 0.9b gofile PC file, and the game works fine thankfully...
Is the 0.9b hotfix necessary, as if does 0.9a work fine if you start at the beginning?

I'm on 0.9a Android and don't know if the hotfix will work. I wasn't that far into the game before 0.9a was released as I just started playing it a few days ago.

Liking what I see about the game so far.

• Red Heart

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
Is the 0.9b hotfix necessary, as if does 0.9a work fine if you start at the beginning?

I'm on 0.9a Android and don't know if the hotfix will work. I wasn't that far into the game before 0.9a was released as I just started playing it a few days ago.

Liking what I see about the game so far.
Thank you! :love:
No, if it works fine, then you don't need it.

cheer1o_o

Sep 18, 2019
I had been arachnophobic my whole life until I started chapter 5 and met Misty. Overall, the game is really great, exactly the type I like: nice and likable characters, no NTR, some good story and dialogues. Keep up the good work!

• Red Heart

htaw1

Oct 8, 2019
I swear if he dose not do DP with a clone on one of the girls I will riot! (Jokes aside) I love this game it pulled me in hard with the story and the feeling of becoming the role in some of the missions. I did run across a audio bug. When I got to the chapters with music I would load back to another save file to try something new and the music would amp up in volume. I could turn it down but it would remain amped up, so as I did another reload the already amped sounded got more amped. I had to close and restart to fix it.

• Red Heart

Flynn974

Game Developer
Jun 11, 2022
I swear if he dose not do DP with a clone on one of the girls I will riot! (Jokes aside) I love this game it pulled me in hard with the story and the feeling of becoming the role in some of the missions. I did run across a audio bug. When I got to the chapters with music I would load back to another save file to try something new and the music would amp up in volume. I could turn it down but it would remain amped up, so as I did another reload the already amped sounded got more amped. I had to close and restart to fix it.
Oh? I thought that issue was fixed already... I'm gonna have to check this out. Thanks!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: JohnF95zone

eltharion83

Aug 24, 2020
Yes, of course. The current update shouldn't have had this issue, it was just a bug. However, I do recommend having several saves from each update just in case. Even with the bug in the current update, some previous saves did load while others did not.
I had 7 savefiles from different points, not one of them worked... Tabbing through the content wasn't possible either and I didn't really enjoy doing all the mission-stuff again. First time this is fun up to a certain degree, doing it again was more annoying than fun.
Hope it works as intended next time. (y)

Rex Blue

Oct 26, 2018
@Rex Blue Can you kindly fix your review of the game? One thing for sure, don't just make up stuff, this game is not a kinetic novel. The story is almost linear with no hard branching but it is definitely not kinetic novel as per this site rule. The first sentence of your review can potentially mislead those who reads it. The choices in this game affect relationship points, alter the flow of the game and/or offer variations to the scenes, among other things.
I fail to see how I'm making anything up. Just because a game has choices, doesn't mean the choices actually lead to different story outcomes. As near as I could tell with my complete playthrough of the current patch, every single choice in the game bottlenecks back to the same path within a scene or two. Every choice is essentially an opt-in or opt-out choice for seeing scenes with certain girls. To me, that is a kinetic novel, as the choices never give different content, only choose to reveal or hide it.

That said, I only opted in to every scene with the girls because I wanted to see everything. Does the story dramatically shift if you skip certain scenes?
There's a part in the VN where you choose to either stay at school or head home which leads you to different scenes and allows you to meet certain characters earlier. Pretty sure just having that excludes it from being a Kinetic Novel.
As far as I was concerned with that scene, leaving school was the "opt-in" option as you got to see a scene with the succubi/your mom. The scene with Tor and Candy can be witnessed later in the story with I think a one point drop in Candy's lust since you can't ask her about the scene during the illusion training later on. Unless that one point lust drop locked a different scene, that didn't feel like enough to consider it a choice based VN rather than a kinetic novel to me.

One route had more content, the other had less. There was an opt-in/opt-out dichotomy, obscured though it might have been. As far as I'm concerned, staying at school was the opt-out choice where you'd see less content and gain nothing, you just had to dig for it a bit to notice.

Perhaps our disagreement is what constitutes a choice-based VN vs a kinetic novel? As far as I'm concerned, if your choices only hide content and never show one scene to the exclusion of another, the story is a kinetic novel. A choice-based VN requires multiple paths/multiple playthroughs in order to see all the content. That might only be two branches, but as near as I could tell Stray Incubus only had one, with choices only hiding content or changing two or three lines of dialogue. Is two or three lines of dialogue enough of a change that you'd consider a story a choice-based VN?

Regardless, being a kinetic novel isn't a bad thing in my mind. I rated the game four stars based on how the early game has a collection of scenes that barely feel connected by a plot. The game improves dramatically once the ninja school becomes the focal point, as it focuses the plot.

My review covers the gameplay (discussing what flavor of visual novel the game subscribes to), the characters, the story and the visuals. What else would you cover in a VN, a game with only images, story, and characters?

Mommysbuttslut

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2021
Perhaps our disagreement is what constitutes a choice-based VN vs a kinetic novel? As far as I'm concerned, if your choices only hide content and never show one scene to the exclusion of another, the story is a kinetic novel. A choice-based VN requires multiple paths/multiple playthroughs in order to see all the content.
If that was the case then probably almost 99% of harem games would have a KVN tag. Most harem fans want every single scene in a single playthrough.
Besides that we've already got pathing from a number of choices already. Killing the Fury and sparing the plague specter both seem to have some fairly significant plot implications that have only partially played out so far.

Rex Blue

Oct 26, 2018
Besides that we've already got pathing from a number of choices already. Killing the Fury and sparing the plague specter both seem to have some fairly significant plot implications that have only partially played out so far.
That's fair. I'll change it. Just because those changes haven't come to roost doesn't mean they will. Those are two critical choices. My bad.

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Yes, I understand that we all have different definition and understanding for the words we used, but the term kinetic novel generally refers to the tags which has its own meaning. The reason I mention it is to avoid confusion because of having different expectation for it. True that kinetic novel is not bad at all but there are players who simply ignore games because of that.

You can say that the game is fairly linear without hard branching if you want to ( without the term kinetic novel even if it is the exact meaning for you ). It is just the words carry different meaning to most members on this site:
Kinetic Novel [Used when a a visual novel style game presents the player with no choices.]
Guidelines for review can be accessed here. For example, you can give feedbacks on musics and sounds among other things.

4.70 star(s) 133 Votes