khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I thought you had to pay back the whole thing within 14 days, which is why on day 8 you have the leader of the servant's guild call you out and explicitly say that it's impossible, which is why you need to become the Mayor instead, so you can default on your debt without losing your mansion?

Maybe I misread how much has to be paid back in 14 days, but unless I have multiple slaves prostituting the whole time, i'm probably going to struggle to make 1000 anyway, since i'm doing it without quests.

Demon (hp bonus) apprentice and an elf (hitbonus) hunter.
Except the only weapon I have is the axe you start with, and without any weapon-crafting until I get the forge set up, I can't even make my hunter a bow.

Hunter only has one skill (Hunter's eye) which doesn't seem worth using (minor damage boost, but it takes up a turn where you could be attacking, and it doesn't last long enough to make itself worthwhile)
I got gatherer's clothes too, instead of leather armour, which might not have been the best.

I did beat a wolf-threat, but I had four characters by that point. Me, my hunter, daisy (pet) and some random slavegirl.
None of us had any weapons or armour beyond my starter-gear, but my hunter became an archer (without a bow) and I was able to use their double-hit attack to whittle enemies down.

The pay for this mission was crap though.
Still, with three people it's doable, if I can get my hands on a weapon.
I guess I gotta whore everyone (including myself?) and see if I can buy a knife or something within the first couple of days. Then try to max out someone's loyalty so I can send them off unsupervised to cut wood and mine stone undefinately so I can build a forge.

... Is there any penalty from setting someone working for too long?
In the previous game it would drain energy and then hp, but here it only seems to lower obedience, which can be set to infinity fairly easily, so...

If not, I could have someone farming or gathering resources long-term, while my main character remains home and works on training the other girls.

So does having Fighter make your physical go up faster? I saw that harlot earns you more money whoring, but I didn't see if it said it'd raise your sexual skills faster.

Also, buying ingredits for quests is a crapshoot. Alirion didn't have any. One of the other towns might have, but it takes all day to travel there, so I don't want to do it willy-nilly.
If you raise your rep with the guilds fast enough you actually don't ever need to pay anything. You can do that before even the first $1000 is due. Most people probably end up making that first payment before they get there though. (If you switch the guild quests to medium difficulty you can guarantee that you'll gain enough rep if you actually complete all of those quests in time). If you leave them at easy then not so much.

Reactions: AWolfe

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
I thought you had to pay back the whole thing within 14 days... {snip}

Maybe I misread how much has to be paid back in 14 days, but unless I have multiple slaves prostituting the whole time, i'm probably going to struggle to make 1000 anyway, since i'm doing it without quests.
You only need 1000 on day 14 (sometime in the morning after the sun comes up). It's easy to do as you get leather from killing wolves (and occasionally from rats) and leather sells for 12 per. It's easy to acquire a LOT of leather in the first week, let alone in 2 weeks.

Demon (hp bonus) apprentice and an elf (hitbonus) hunter.
This pairing is part of your problem. Try a Dragonkin fighter (your master) and a dragonkin scholar (peon). Having 150hp makes a huge difference for your early tank, and it certainly helps when a bandit peppers your mage with arrows. Before you go out buy a dagger or club (whatever's available) for your fighter. If you save-scum to avoid battles with opponents that you can't handle (such as too many bandits or spiders) you can clear out the goblin cave or the bandit cave (the two dungeons in the left column on the travel page) on the first day with just the two characters. But first do the notice board quests. Those same two characters can easily take on any of the quests from the board, and do so without cheating. As for the caves, you can nibble on them a bit at a time. Unlike in the first Strive, this game saves your progress, so you can kill a group or two, go home and rest, and then come back and pick up where you left off. You can also heal in between battles while still at the dungeon. I had to ask maverick (the dev) how to do this, as it's not obvious from the UI.

Starting the game with two dragonkin means that any children of this pair will also be full-blooded dragonkin. And if both characters are futa then you can impregnate each other and pop out 2 new teenagers every 5 days that are each way, way better than any character you can hire. (Maverick is nerfing pregnancy to 30 days in the next update.)

... Is there any penalty from setting someone working for too long?
Other than obedience, no.

So does having Fighter make your physical go up faster?
No, it gives you a +5 boost to Phys and speed and +15hp, and allows you to equip swords and spears and medium armor.

EDIT: it also very, very much matters how you assign attributes when creating your master and his/her sidekick. Make sure that the sidekick has 5 growth, as that determines how many XP you need for the next class. The higher the stat the less XP you need to earn, and this stat cannot be upgraded during play. The scholar should also have 5 in Wits and Magic (yes, you need three 5s on this character). The master needs 5 in charm (increases party quest rewards, as well as for other things) and 4-5 in phys.

When hiring NPCs their growth stat is, by far, the most important thing to look at. Then look at any classes they may already know. Lastly the rest of their stats.

Last edited:

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Get the thief class on your scholar as soon as you can so that you can open all of those chests you find. Lock picking seems to be Wits-based, not Phys-based, as my mage was always better at it than my fighter.

Reactions: iamnuff

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
If you raise your rep with the guilds fast enough you actually don't ever need to pay anything. You can do that before even the first $1000 is due. Most people probably end up making that first payment before they get there though. (If you switch the guild quests to medium difficulty you can guarantee that you'll gain enough rep if you actually complete all of those quests in time). If you leave them at easy then not so much.
Yes, this is why my first post was about how I can't raise my rep with the guilds, because none of the quests look completable until I have my forge set up because they keep asking me to craft weapons or kill enemies.

I don't know what quests come in on medium, but given that 'easy' quests are already too hard, unless there's a request for a large amount of fish, it seems unlikely that those would be better.

Related, what starting builds do people recommend?
What for your Master/mistress, and what for your lead slave.
Going with the fighter's guild might be a good idea, just to get some armour and a sword, but the worker's wood-axe is pretty good for gathering wood early on.
Don't know what the mage's guild gives you, (I didn't want to start with two wizards) but taking their staff and clothes for myself might help...

For classes, a worker slave would help gather fish for food, or cut trees down for construction.
You can get daisy for 100gp, so you don't really need to start with a prostitute, but a warrior could make a good tank if you start as a mage.

What classes are most useful for your player-character?

Actually, the Master/Mistress player character should probably get some starter-gear of their own, no?
You start off totally naked and only get one set of clothes and one tool when you pick your first slave.
Having like... a basic staff some some generic clothes based on your starting class wouldn't be a bad idea.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
Yes, this is why my first post was about how I can't raise my rep with the guilds, because none of the quests look completable until I have my forge set up because they keep asking me to craft weapons or kill enemies.

I don't know what quests come in on medium, but given that 'easy' quests are already too hard, unless there's a request for a large amount of fish, it seems unlikely that those would be better.

Going with the fighter's guild might be a good idea, just to get some armour and a sword, but the worker's wood-axe is pretty good for gathering wood early on.
Don't know what the mage's guild gives you, (I didn't want to start with two wizards) but taking their staff and clothes for myself might help...

For classes, a worker slave would help gather fish for food, or cut trees down for construction.
You can get daisy for 100gp, so you don't really need to start with a prostitute, but a warrior could make a good tank if you start as a mage.

Actually, the Master/Mistress player character should probably get some starter-gear of their own, no?
You start off totally naked and only get one set of clothes and one tool when you pick your first slave.
Having like... a basic staff some some generic clothes based on your starting class wouldn't be a bad idea.
Your main mistake is that you apparently sided with the worker Guild at the start and got yourself a fighter... choose the mage guild instead so you get a staff, than create a char... I normally go with Dark Elf for HP+ and M.Atk+
Combat is pretty much the only way how you can grow fast enough to pay the first 2 rates in the game
Once you get yourself some human slaves you can use them to gather items... concentrate on Mythril so you can sell it in the market, afterwards you can take in magic wood and iron wood... it's actually easier to gather wood and stone freom the Dungeons, even cloth is a common drop in the Crypt and Bandit Den/Fort

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
You get a mage staff from the mages guild, which you give to the scholar you create when you visit them. A staff is much more expensive to buy than a dagger or club, so your master should be a fighter. Why a fighter and not an archer? Fighters do more damage than archers do, and hitting the back row is the mage's job. The fighter's job is to tank.

You'll eventually want three fighters tanking on the front row, and three mages blasting everything from the safety of the back row. Boring? Perhaps. Effective? Hell yeah!

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017

In my experience magic is generally stronger in the early game. It gives you both reasonable damage output and also healing which means you can win fights early on that would be unwinnable with a pure melee unless you burned through a lot of healing items. With a mage you can do it without any consumables. Later on it doesn't matter as much, just go with preference then. Regardless whether you pick a mage or melee build you want to get some sort of AOE attack as soon as possible and you're going to want a class with a heal spell ASAP as well no matter what your build.

You get the most resources by clearing out dungeons since you get both random drops from those as well as a huge gathering bonus if you collect the resources for the cleared dungeon at the end. That gathering bonus is typically around 200-250% so you're gathering at triple speed or faster compared to gathering from an unlimited non dungeon source.

You can also sell whatever you get from the dungeon and just buy resources outright from the shops. So it's quite possible to build whichever crafting facilities you need for your quests in the first few days. The slave requests tend to be the more annoying ones since sometimes they require fucking a slave repeatedly to get her to high sex experience or something.

Reactions: Evangelion-01

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
The caster class (Wits 40+) has your first AoE (blizzard) attack, which affects all enemies (not just a row). The archmage (Wits 75+) has an AoE earthquake spell which is even more powerful. This is why you want 3 mages, with 3 tanks protecting them. The mages are your main killers. The tanks are there just to soak up hits.

Knights (Phys 40+) have an AoE (row) attack (not as strong as their hand weapon attack, but does hit 2-3 enemies so it does more total damage) and a single-target earth attack which does more damage than their hand weapon can do. Dragon Knight (Phys 80+) kicks some serious ass. Not that you care by then, since your mages are blowing everything off the map.

Last edited:

erkper

May 16, 2018
The caster class (Wits 40+) has your first AoE (blizzard) attack, which affects all enemies (not just a row). The archmage (Wits 75+) has an AoE earthquake spell which is even more powerful. This is why you want 3 mages, with 3 tanks protecting them. The mages are your main killers. The tanks are there just to soak up hits.

Knights (Phys 40+) have an AoE (row) attack (not as strong as their hand weapon attack, but does hit 2-3 enemies so it does more total damage) and a single-target earth attack which does more damage than their hand weapon can do. Dragon Knight (Phys 80+) kicks some serious ass. Not that you care by then, since your mages are blowing everything off the map.
Druid class (elves, fairies) get an AoE and a mass heal with no min wit requirement. Awesome first-levelup for an elven mage...

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
Druid class (elves, fairies) get an AoE and a mass heal with no min wit requirement. Awesome first-levelup for an elven mage...
If you can keep the squishy fairy alive, yeah. Bandit archers tend to ruin their day. Lots of folks like going for the fairy druid. Me, I like a more robust character. Plus having two dragonkin that can fuck each other to produce more of the same (all with growth 4-5, usually 5) is just awesome.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
It also helps to have your Master & starter be of the same species - or human & a beastkin. Max out (Great, 100 points) Physical for 1, Wits for the other. Max out your starter's Growth as well.
Then you can get straight to breeding a free slave every 4 days, with a good chance for useful stats (gathering or fishing).

With the right setup, you can easily ramp up your daily gains. If you don't savescum, send out max obedience slaves to villages - that way you'll have access to their shop 24/7. It helps if you have bad luck finding whisky or aphrodisiacs for quests.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
Your main mistake is that you apparently sided with the worker Guild at the start and got yourself a fighter... choose the mage guild instead so you get a staff, than create a char... I normally go with Dark Elf for HP+ and M.Atk+
Combat is pretty much the only way how you can grow fast enough to pay the first 2 rates in the game
Once you get yourself some human slaves you can use them to gather items... concentrate on Mythril so you can sell it in the market, afterwards you can take in magic wood and iron wood... it's actually easier to gather wood and stone freom the Dungeons, even cloth is a common drop in the Crypt and Bandit Den/Fort
Actually, I sided with the worker's guild and got a worker.
Hunter is a worker-class. Yeah they get one combat move (sort of) bu they get +50% food production with hunting and fishing.
I was trying to ensure I didn't starve early on, because that was a big problem in the previous game, while also keeping an eye out for something that could be combat-useful later on.

though given that dexterity isn't a thing, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go Hunter-Archer when you could just go Hunter>Fighter.
They're both physical classes.

choose the mage guild instead so you get a staff, than create a char... I normally go with Dark Elf for HP+ and M.Atk+
Why a mage?
Getting a robe and staff for myself would be nice, but that still leaves me with a naked wizard.
I don't want to go into dungeons with two mages and no fighters.

In my experience magic is generally stronger in the early game. It gives you both reasonable damage output and also healing which means you can win fights early on that would be unwinnable with a pure melee unless you burned through a lot of healing items.
That's a good point. The archer put out decent damage, even unarmed, but my MC mage was doing work with the fireball and using the healing spell between rounds to top my people up was working great until I ran out of mana.
Getting multiple mages just for double-healing sounds nice.
I'd rather have one healer and an archer with a multi-hit attack though.

It'd be nice to use that class that lets you bandage in battle, but I was never able to even make bandages, so... (tailor, I assume?)

You get the most resources by clearing out dungeons since you get both random drops from those as well as a huge gathering bonus if you collect the resources for the cleared dungeon at the end. That gathering bonus is typically around 200-250% so you're gathering at triple speed or faster compared to gathering from an unlimited non dungeon source.
That sounds nice, but when I attempted my first dungeon I went in with four people and it told me I was in stage 1/3.
Then I went through like seven rooms of enemies before it finally moved to up 2/3, so I wasn't sure if it was bugged or what.
Eventually I had to just turn around and leave, because I didn't have enough mp to keep healing myself. I don't know if I even got close to the end.

If they're supposed to be like that, and they're ALL like that, then it's not possible for me to clear one unless I get some weapons and armour first.
It was taking two or more turns to kill each enemy, and throwing full parties of six at me in every room, so I was taking damage.

That's kind of lame, but ok.

I don't remember what I levelled my apprentice into, but all it had was a fireball and a heal.
Both useful, but not a full-screen aoe.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Actually, I sided with the worker's guild and got a worker.
Hunter is a worker-class. Yeah they get one combat move (sort of) bu they get +50% food production with hunting and fishing.
I was trying to ensure I didn't starve early on, because that was a big problem in the previous game, while also keeping an eye out for something that could be combat-useful later on.

though given that dexterity isn't a thing, there doesn't seem to be any reason to go Hunter-Archer when you could just go Hunter>Fighter.
They're both physical classes.

Why a mage?
Getting a robe and staff for myself would be nice, but that still leaves me with a naked wizard.
I don't want to go into dungeons with two mages and no fighters.

That's a good point. The archer put out decent damage, even unarmed, but my MC mage was doing work with the fireball and using the healing spell between rounds to top my people up was working great until I ran out of mana.
Getting multiple mages just for double-healing sounds nice.
I'd rather have one healer and an archer with a multi-hit attack though.

It'd be nice to use that class that lets you bandage in battle, but I was never able to even make bandages, so... (tailor, I assume?)

That sounds nice, but when I attempted my first dungeon I went in with four people and it told me I was in stage 1/3.
Then I went through like seven rooms of enemies before it finally moved to up 2/3, so I wasn't sure if it was bugged or what.
Eventually I had to just turn around and leave, because I didn't have enough mp to keep healing myself. I don't know if I even got close to the end.

If they're supposed to be like that, and they're ALL like that, then it's not possible for me to clear one unless I get some weapons and armour first.
It was taking two or more turns to kill each enemy, and throwing full parties of six at me in every room, so I was taking damage.

That's kind of lame, but ok.

I don't remember what I levelled my apprentice into, but all it had was a fireball and a heal.
Both useful, but not a full-screen aoe.
The staff makes a big difference early on boosting both your damage output and your heals so definitely take the mage guild if you do a mage build. If you see a staff of any kind in the shop, buy that for your first slave to give yourself a further boost (unless you get one for free as a quest reward or random dungeon drop).

If you're a new player I would recommend one of the more magic focused races like Dark Elf or Fairy because they have access to the Druid class which you can get at level 2. It has both an AOE spell that affects all enemies and ALSO an AOE heal that heals the entire party. You can get comparable spells later with other races but Druid is the only way to get both so early in the game. The Caster AOE does more damage and also gives you a single target stun (lightning). Healer gives you an aoe heal that works for any race but it's redundant if you go with Druid. Melees get AOEs as well but mages get a lot more of them.

Some of the other races have access to different race exclusive abilities that you might want to try as well, like the Dragon Knight class for Dragonkin.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
Sometimes when I try to open the crafting menu, it opens something else instead.

I press the same button that I pressed before, but instead of showing me a list of all the things I can cook (with tabs for smithing and alchemy ) it shows me my character-list, and a small popup at the bottom with a picture of a pan on a stove and the Confirm/Cancel buttons.

No matter what I press or who I select, it won't seem to progress past this to the part where I actually add things to my crafting Queue.

How do I get to the real crafting menu?

Also, now that I have the forge up, how do I make blades and weapon handles?
I assumed that you'd create those at the forge, otherwise what's the point of it?
Seems like you don't though?

Feels like the first forge upgrade should actually be useful on it's own and allow you to build some kind of weapon.
Even if they're only iron tools instead of steel ones, having to spend ages gathering the stuff and then building your forge (all without any tools at all) only to finally be told that your forge doesn't allow you to actually forge thoughs?
Kind of a crappy feeling.

Personally, i'd go...
Forge lvl 0 (starting level) wooden and stone tools.
Forge level 1 (first build) iron tools.
Forge level 2 (steel tools, weapons and armour)
Forge lvl 3 (mythril or whatever)

That way you can arm yourself at the start of the game, and investing in a forge early on actually pays off by allowing you to make your own equipment.
Currently, unarmed i'm doing around 10 damage, and armed with the starter weapon from the guild, I did 44, killing my enermy in one hit.
So there's definitely room for a weaker tier of weapons below the iron-tier.

Last edited:

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
You really haven't looked at the crafting UI much, have you? You do NOT forge handles and blades. You provide enough of the materials needed from what you have available that can be used on that item (each has different properties) and then press the confirm button. When you're crafting a tool axe, for example, you'll need 10 of something for the blade (such as stone, iron, or steel) and 5 of something else for the handle (such as wood or bone). That's what goes into those two small boxes above the Back and Confirm buttons.

BTW, the weaker "tier" below iron is stone. How good an item is depends on what you use to craft it with.

Reactions: Fuzzcat

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
You really haven't looked at the crafting UI much, have you? You do NOT forge handles and blades. You provide enough of the materials needed from what you have available that can be used on that item (each has different properties) and then press the confirm button. When you're crafting a tool axe, for example, you'll need 10 of something for the blade (such as stone, iron, or steel) and 5 of something else for the handle (such as wood or bone). That's what goes into those two small boxes above the Back and Confirm buttons.
I'm having to fight with the game just to make it open the crafting UI, my dude.

I remember the displaced side-game had a mechanic where you could make a sword or axe or pick and you'd choose what parts are made of what, but this one has a list with items and those items have smaller items and numbers under them.

[Booting the game up to get an example]

Right under the fishcake on the cooking UI pane, it says [1, fish] and [2, grain]
This means that it requires one fish and two grain to complete this crafting recipe.

The one for the sword says [10, Blade] and [5, handle]
This means that it requires ten blades and five handles, right?
... ok, granted that'd be a pretty fucking stupid sword, but that's what the UI is fucking asking for.

Realtalk? Since I closed down the game and then opened it back up to reply to you, there's now a whole other panel that straight-up wasn't there before.

The bit on the right that pops up when you select something to craft? The bit with the slots for you to put wood and iron into?
Yeah, not there before.
Which means there was also no confirm button, but I didn't notice that because it was asking me for materials that I didn't have anyway.

TLDR: Crafting UI doesn't open properly sometimes. Rebooting the game seems to have fixed it, but the UI overall is kind of unintuitive, to the point where it's hard to tell of it's broken or not.

Edit: Something new on the crafting UI is wigged.
Overing over the preview of the completed item (on the right) shows the tooltip for whatever's in your crafting log.
Could be it's pulling that from the pane below, or maybe it's doing something else.

Last edited:

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
The one for the sword says [10, Blade] and [5, handle]
This means that it requires ten blades and five handles, right?
No. It means that it needs 10 stone/iron/steel/whatever for the (single) blade, and 5 bone/wood/whatever for the (single) handle. Per sword. So if you wanted to make 2 swords with steel blades and magic wood handles you'd need a total of 20 steel and 10 magic wood.

iamnuff

Sep 2, 2017
No. It means that it needs 10 stone/iron/steel/whatever for the (single) blade, and 5 bone/wood/whatever for the (single) handle. Per sword. So if you wanted to make 2 swords with steel blades and magic wood handles you'd need a total of 20 steel and 10 magic wood.
Yeah, and that was pretty intuitive when the other half of the UI was actually present and had things I could look at and click on.

Without that? Not so obvious.

sandsea_urchin

May 7, 2019
Not so obvious.
Oh, cool. I was a genius all along :geek:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Ok, ok, I was also looking at wrong place at first, for some reason. But it's very clear, when you know where to look.
I'd also like to say: hands-on experience is the best teacher. Take your time playing this early demo.

We should get another version next week or so, btw.
So let's not get too used to the obedience system or free-to-pick classes. :cry:

AWolfe

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2018
It wasn't mentioned in Maverik's Patreon post, but he's also going to be nerfing pregnancy. Currently it's 5 days long and he's extending it to 30. 5 days allows you to churn out babies like crazy and you never need to hire anyone, so he's fixing that.

• Sad
Reactions: sandsea_urchin
3.30 star(s) 44 Votes