VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes

troll822

Jun 22, 2017
Reviews of games early in their cycle tend to trend positive. I'm sure this has happened in the past. That said I think that this VN easily has earned its reviews and I expect that quality to continue. Honking good VN, I have nothing other than positive things to say about it.
Yes, they do tend to be positive.
But we're not talking 4.7 out of 41 reviews. That's a 5. Perhaps there's one or two 4-star reviews in there but... it's 41 reviews man, not 8. This is spectacular rating for a spectacular game.

Reactions: vogelbeest

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Latest update from Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Check In 04/06/2022

Check In time.

This week the star of our title screen is the lovely Amrit, isn't she just a cutie?

Have about 37,000 words converted. Ended up with 42,000 at first, but I've done some trimming to get back down, still want to lose a little more weight on this update, but not too much. Trying to trim to a final draft of 34,000. We'll see.

About 367 renders posed, 350 of them completely rendered and put through post. Wasn't as productive as I'd hoped the past week, but sometimes that happens. Planned myself buffers this dev cycle for just such an occasion so we're doing okay.

Sat down and took a look at what I'll need animation wise this update. Still not 100% sure but looking like I'll have 25-30 animations, depending. We'll see how that looks after we have a final draft.

Alright back to work. Appreciate you all reading my rambling. Thanks as always for the support.

Sláinte!
Since I'm in for the long haul, I might as well bust out the spreadsheets and see how the development is progressing. Words are an unusual metric I've never tried tracking before, so we'll have to see how it works. So here goes:

In the last week, our intrepid dev has converted ~2000 words (net), completed 173 renders and (presumably) 0 animations. His overall average since Part 3 launched is ~5300 words, 50 renders and 0 animations per week. We also learned that Part 4 is targeting ~34000 words and ~28 animations, so we have some idea of where we should end up. Here's that information in chart form:
It's difficult to make any prognostications when we have no animation data to process, and I'm extremely unfamiliar with this game's idiosyncrasies. In general still renders are the more consistent predictor, so by that metric (and if Part 4 will be roughly on par with Part 3) a late June release is probably a reasonable guess. We'll see if that turns out to be anywhere in the ballpark.

For now, Amrit isn't a favorite but it's still a nice preview. Looking forward to more.

drisarter

Jun 12, 2017
ename144 thanks heaps for doing this!! Really enjoy your posts in other threads, so it's great to see you give it a go here too for one of my very favourite games.

Last edited:
  • Hey there
Reactions: ename144

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
A few teasers from Patreon:

Sneak Peek 04/10/2022

Posting on European time today, call it a rare treat.

Just a couple of fun images this update, I'm sure you can figure out who they're of. The first should be obvious, but if somehow you haven't figured it out I guess it will be a fun surprise in the update. The final one might be a little trickier, but you've seen him before. I'll leave you to chew into these engaging mysteries.

Hope you all have a lovely upcoming week and thank you as always for the support.

Sláinte!

Fred689

Jan 11, 2022
Pff... another awesome game that I'm hooked on and now obliged to follow...

Fantastic renders, believeable MC, nice interactions and banting between the different chars, slow burn.. what can I ask more.

There are truly some hidden gems of games and some talented, creative, unknown en dedicated writers on F95 to be found.
Really happy that I struggled on this site... no more HS, WoW, FM21, OpenTTD... for me for the time being :)
Days are to short to read through all these novels!

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
All this arguing over potential threesomes.. Yeesh. You'd think he was doing a DPC house fire by the way people are up in arms.

I've done a couple playthroughs so far, and man, just seeing Lyndie (or Beatrix, even) make an appearance again gave me such a happy feeling, even if the overall situation was bad. Almost every major girl introduced has some qualities I can appreciate.

Amrit: Nice to look at. Bit of an irreverent tough-chick attitude. This pleases Zulthar, yeah? Badass women are great.

Vi : Honestly, I like looking at her even more than Amrit, but I'm not sure why. Guess I dig the scars. Er, the physical ones, that is. Poor girl's had a lot of trauma, but still really like her. Just hope she's not crazy. I've got an aversion to crazy redheads. For reasons. Still hoping for a flashback that shows how she got the scars. Unless it's in there and I missed it with bad dialogue choices.

Kana : Not quite as soft (physically) appealing as the first two, but I like darker skin, too, so it works really well on her with the contrasting eye color. Kinda hoping for some more flashback action with her and her friend in the ring. The hints are there about what really happened, but I'm lazy, I like to see it laid bare from the horse's mouth. Least pleasing aspect of the character: religious. That's my hangup, though, doubt the MC cares all that much. It's still a negative, though. All too often it's somebody not willing to take responsibility for their own life choices and the results of said choices.

Elspeth : 2nd of them I don't like physically (1st was Jenny the ring girl). It's a mix of things. The hair looks like a bad dye job, the makeup around the eye itself, petty things like that (though I note she doesn't have the following morning, nice attention to detail). Cute freckles, though. Personality-wise, I think she's fantastic. Probably one of the characters I'd consider most likely to be best-friend material. That she's incredibly fit is a bonus, of course.

Serena : Major stalker vibes. Kinda the same issue with her initial makeup, but not too shabby. Wondering if she's another bottled blonde (due to the eyebrows) but outside of the stalker factor, no heavy objections.

Ines : Hooboy. I find I strangely like almost everything about her (so far). Absolutely gorgeous to look at, clearly protective of Vi. Can't decide if it's because she's also in love with Vi or not. I did get a nice laugh out of Amrit's reaction when she found out Ines was French. It wasn't far off from my own initial reaction. Nobody's perfect!

Honorable mention: Ms. Katie Kafton. The Dev has definitely got my attention with the shorter-haired beauties in this game, and more of her is most decidedly welcome, too.

From a gameplay perspective, though - McNab just screams 'backstabber', it's the appearance. He looks like an untrustworthy b-grade movie villain. Certainly I'd like to be wrong, but between what feels like constant admonishment about where MC might be sticking his dick or his own career, McNab just gives off that vibe that says if you don't play your cards perfectly with him he's going to stab you in the back, whether over money or (some of) the girls. I think the money is his higher priority, though. Something about his presentation is just hitting at my nerves. I dunno, maybe he's in the closet and has a thing for MC or I could be entirely wrong on all fronts.

And I'm still not sold on Davis being dead. Maybe he is, but I was already expecting it to not be his body, so I was mildly surprised when Vi had to go down to ID him. That it isn't him just goes back to my original thoughts. He's up to something shady, probably took out the ferry himself to disappear, maybe he's got some black ops work on the agenda, or some other scenario that'll inject some later drama by maybe giving MC the chance to do what he didn't when he first had the chance to take him out.

I impatiently anticipate part 4.

AngelsAfterDark

Jun 11, 2021
All these girls are amazing, I'll have to say tho Kana piqued my interest the most simply because she's a professional wrestler. I was a big wrestling fan growing up, the memories I have watching WWE and TNA with my dad will always be dear to me. One thing I always found entertaining was the heels so I'm glad we have the option to be one in this game.

Reactions: NukaCola

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
All this arguing over potential threesomes.. Yeesh. You'd think he was doing a DPC house fire by the way people are up in arms.

I've done a couple playthroughs so far, and man, just seeing Lyndie (or Beatrix, even) make an appearance again gave me such a happy feeling, even if the overall situation was bad. Almost every major girl introduced has some qualities I can appreciate.

Amrit: Nice to look at. Bit of an irreverent tough-chick attitude. This pleases Zulthar, yeah? Badass women are great.

Vi : Honestly, I like looking at her even more than Amrit, but I'm not sure why. Guess I dig the scars. Er, the physical ones, that is. Poor girl's had a lot of trauma, but still really like her. Just hope she's not crazy. I've got an aversion to crazy redheads. For reasons. Still hoping for a flashback that shows how she got the scars. Unless it's in there and I missed it with bad dialogue choices.

Kana : Not quite as soft (physically) appealing as the first two, but I like darker skin, too, so it works really well on her with the contrasting eye color. Kinda hoping for some more flashback action with her and her friend in the ring. The hints are there about what really happened, but I'm lazy, I like to see it laid bare from the horse's mouth. Least pleasing aspect of the character: religious. That's my hangup, though, doubt the MC cares all that much. It's still a negative, though. All too often it's somebody not willing to take responsibility for their own life choices and the results of said choices.

Elspeth : 2nd of them I don't like physically (1st was Jenny the ring girl). It's a mix of things. The hair looks like a bad dye job, the makeup around the eye itself, petty things like that (though I note she doesn't have the following morning, nice attention to detail). Cute freckles, though. Personality-wise, I think she's fantastic. Probably one of the characters I'd consider most likely to be best-friend material. That she's incredibly fit is a bonus, of course.

Serena : Major stalker vibes. Kinda the same issue with her initial makeup, but not too shabby. Wondering if she's another bottled blonde (due to the eyebrows) but outside of the stalker factor, no heavy objections.

Ines : Hooboy. I find I strangely like almost everything about her (so far). Absolutely gorgeous to look at, clearly protective of Vi. Can't decide if it's because she's also in love with Vi or not. I did get a nice laugh out of Amrit's reaction when she found out Ines was French. It wasn't far off from my own initial reaction. Nobody's perfect!

Honorable mention: Ms. Katie Kafton. The Dev has definitely got my attention with the shorter-haired beauties in this game, and more of her is most decidedly welcome, too.

From a gameplay perspective, though - McNab just screams 'backstabber', it's the appearance. He looks like an untrustworthy b-grade movie villain. Certainly I'd like to be wrong, but between what feels like constant admonishment about where MC might be sticking his dick or his own career, McNab just gives off that vibe that says if you don't play your cards perfectly with him he's going to stab you in the back, whether over money or (some of) the girls. I think the money is his higher priority, though. Something about his presentation is just hitting at my nerves. I dunno, maybe he's in the closet and has a thing for MC or I could be entirely wrong on all fronts.

And I'm still not sold on Davis being dead. Maybe he is, but I was already expecting it to not be his body, so I was mildly surprised when Vi had to go down to ID him. That it isn't him just goes back to my original thoughts. He's up to something shady, probably took out the ferry himself to disappear, maybe he's got some black ops work on the agenda, or some other scenario that'll inject some later drama by maybe giving MC the chance to do what he didn't when he first had the chance to take him out.

To be honest Elspeth pacifist and probably vegan too is more of a negative to me than Kana being religious. I mean she doesn't seem like a religious nut job and I don't think MC is care about that and either she care about MC have different religion or being atheist.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021

"Crazy" and "redhead" are redundant - especially if the eyes are green. Personal experience. I seem to be in a minority with all the people that want to see baby cooches, but I'm hoping for a bit of red fur on the field of play when we get there.

As for religion, you are putting too much of your own hang up on others. Your preconception will become a self-fulfilling prophecy because of the way you treat and judge. This is also an observation from experience.

Reactions: Crimsonfiend76

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
To be honest Elspeth pacifist and probably vegan too is more of a negative to me than Kana being religious. I mean she doesn't seem like a religious nut job and I don't think MC is care about that and either she care about MC have different religion or being atheist.
The vegan aspect would probably be more problematic. Nobody's getting in the way of a good steak. I'm really curious why she's a pacifist, though. I've never actually met anybody like that without some serious backstory motivation. Anticipation!
"Crazy" and "redhead" are redundant - especially if the eyes are green. Personal experience. I seem to be in a minority with all the people that want to see baby cooches, but I'm hoping for a bit of red fur on the field of play when we get there.
I prefer them shaved. Nothing wrong with a bit of fluff decor, but keep it off the mound, I'll floss after dinner.

As for religion, you are putting too much of your own hang up on others. Your preconception will become a self-fulfilling prophecy because of the way you treat and judge. This is also an observation from experience.
The problem with your assertion here is that this isn't just a "preconception", it's an opinion on the masses formed from personal experience and exposure to them. There are absolutely a few people here and there that are perfectly fine people of faith that do not offend, and I count one as a great personal friend, specifically because he's not like the others. Everybody has a chance to prove themselves different. They often don't. He actually lives the life, he doesn't tell people he lives the life. He doesn't care about showing it off or encouraging others to be like him, he's just him. A great person. And he tolerates me even know he knows I think he's mentally ill. ;)

A distinct minority.

Fred689

Jan 11, 2022
Just finished the 3rd chapter, still amazed by the beauty of this game and interacting of the characters,
I really lol'ed from some scenes.

Only thing in the game I found a bit exaggerated is the size of the boobs on some chars...
In that aspect the girls in the VN "Come Home" look more realistic; Mary, Suzy, Tammy are my favourites there :)

The fighting mechanic is simple but fun, makes me wonder if you can actually loose a fight if I take the wrong choices. The introduction of MC's first fight says it can really have some consequences (relation and physical wise).

Quick question; is there a big difference if I go the "asshole" path? Are there other scenes (lewd or not) if I choose to be a complete scumbag?

Last edited:

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
Quick question; is there a big difference if I go the "asshole" path? Are there other scenes (lewd or not) if I choose to be a complete scumbag?
Being the asshole raises your infamy (rather than fame), but I haven't noticed any impact on the scenes overall because of it. The guy you fight thinks you're a total dick, but you have to expect that if you're being a heel.

Reactions: Fred689

Akkarin69

Feb 16, 2018
Yes, they do tend to be positive.
But we're not talking 4.7 out of 41 reviews. That's a 5. Perhaps there's one or two 4-star reviews in there but... it's 41 reviews man, not 8. This is spectacular rating for a spectacular game.
Fully earned. It's one of the view games I actually care to read it all instead of just clicking/skipping through, because the writing is witty, funny and overall excellent top notch material.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Latest Patreon update:

Check In 04/13/2022

Elspeth is the star this week. Much busty, very excite.

Sitting at 35,000 words. Not sure there's much more to trim. but I'm taking a look at one scene in particular and trying to decide if I absolutely need it, or if it's a bit indulgent. If I do cut it, it'll be the last piece I need to remove. After that I can finish my drafts and get this puppy off for proofing. Hopefully by then end of the month.

About 550 renders posed, 492 of them completely rendered and put through post. Some of these renders take a hell of a time to finish and I find myself weeping more and more as they continue to grow. No worries though, the tears are all part of the creative process and I don't know where I would be without them.

Animations haven't even started yet, Once I completely finish editing the script we'll move onto dealing with those.

Think that should get you caught up, on to working for me. Thanks as always for the support.

Sláinte!

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Latest Patreon update:

Check In 04/13/2022

Elspeth is the star this week. Much busty, very excite.

Sitting at 35,000 words. Not sure there's much more to trim. but I'm taking a look at one scene in particular and trying to decide if I absolutely need it, or if it's a bit indulgent. If I do cut it, it'll be the last piece I need to remove. After that I can finish my drafts and get this puppy off for proofing. Hopefully by then end of the month.

About 550 renders posed, 492 of them completely rendered and put through post. Some of these renders take a hell of a time to finish and I find myself weeping more and more as they continue to grow. No worries though, the tears are all part of the creative process and I don't know where I would be without them.

Animations haven't even started yet, Once I completely finish editing the script we'll move onto dealing with those.

Think that should get you caught up, on to working for me. Thanks as always for the support.

Sláinte!
Okay, new numbers. Let's see how this goes. This week saw the addition of 142 completed renders, 0 completed animations, and -2000 words. Overall, the average is now ~61 renders, 0 animations and 4375 words per week since Part 3 was released. Here are the charts.
Render progress remains fairly steady. If this pace holds up, we'd match Part 3's numbers by early July - which is good since at the current rate we'll run out of words by mid-August. ;) We'll have to complete some animations before we can get any sense of how long they will take (and whether they will slow down the render rate). So still to early to make predictions, but it's nice to know where we stand.

In the meantime, Elspeth's one of my favorites so it's always nice to see her. The dress looks good on her, though I'm curious as to why she's wearing it to wherever she is.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I've searched through the thread for info on in-game sound (other than the title music) and gleaned that there is no sound without the KoGa3 mod - is that correct?

I downloaded both Scrappy and KoGa3 and, after reading the big caveat on the KoGa3 (and not remembering if I used it when I first played this game after version 2 was released), I went with the Scrappy mod - the game is straightforward enough that a simple walkthrough and gallery are all that I really need (though the save naming would be nice).

Am I getting this right - no sound without KoGa3? Or did Scrappy somehow disable what was there? Seems too basic to have done so.

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
I've searched through the thread for info on in-game sound (other than the title music) and gleaned that there is no sound without the KoGa3 mod - is that correct?

I downloaded both Scrappy and KoGa3 and, after reading the big caveat on the KoGa3 (and not remembering if I used it when I first played this game after version 2 was released), I went with the Scrappy mod - the game is straightforward enough that a simple walkthrough and gallery are all that I really need (though the save naming would be nice).

Am I getting this right - no sound without KoGa3? Or did Scrappy somehow disable what was there? Seems too basic to have done so.
Hi. Havn't tried the Mod from scrappy in detail, but I don't think he disabled the music in the game. It's mostly because the game itself don't have that much music integration anyway. If I remember correctly there are only 3-4 tracks used in part 1 and - I think - none later so far.
May I ask what "big caveat" you mean?

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Hi. Havn't tried the Mod from scrappy in detail, but I don't think he disabled the music in the game. It's mostly because the game itself don't have that much music integration anyway. If I remember correctly there are only 3-4 tracks used in part 1 and - I think - none later so far.
May I ask what "big caveat" you mean?
The fact that my saves may not work if I use it now, but didn't use it before, and that the complexity of the alterations are such that any new saves I do now may not work in the future, is a "big caveat" to me. If I start a new game with each release, I want it to be my choice, not because the mod makes it impossible to do otherwise.

Reactions: KoGa3

KoGa3

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Aug 14, 2018
The fact that my saves may not work if I use it now, but didn't use it before, and that the complexity of the alterations are such that any new saves I do now may not work in the future, is a "big caveat" to me. If I start a new game with each release, I want it to be my choice, not because the mod makes it impossible to do otherwise.
Well yeah, than it's better not to use mods. Thanks for the info.

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes