VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Games like this is why i come here. Im not someone who can sit there and read a book.. I cant hold attention that long, i have to re read things multiple times sometimes to get it to sink in.. But with these i pay more attention and enjoy it more.. There are some very good writers and story tellers on here and occasionally you find gems like this with great meanings behind it all and not just a sexual game.

Thanks for giving us a great game with a great story and i hope you continue with it and get the support you deserve.
Everyone has different thresholds when it comes to finding enjoyment in reading. I honestly enjoy reading a serious novel, but I've found with some (The Silmarillion and other Tolkien stuff, even lighter stuff like Terry Pratchett) that having a map or illustration of characters and places (both "worlds" have all manner of illustrated companion books) makes them more enjoyable for me and puts things in a better perspective.

VNs have become a fun pastime for me - I really enjoy the graphic nature of them and getting the story at the same time. Sort of an electronic comic book, but with better illustrations and usually a better story.

This one has a great story and very good writing. Others with good writing, a good story and good graphics that I enjoy are Eternum and Shale Hill Secrets. Those aren't the only ones I follow, but they have some of the better writing.

I've also just gotten through what's called "The Elsaverse", which has mostly games converted from .html at this point. The graphics are nice, but the writing is also very good while not being a pain to follow. They tend to be shorter games, some are only linear, but they have depth. I think the primary writer is lesbian, so there's a lot of bi and lesbian relationships, but also very good "straight" relationships. However, if you aren't a fan of pubes, you should stay away. ;)

Reactions: D9074

underoath27

Nov 22, 2020
Another great update! So far, I'm enjoying this one more than The Author. I can't choose my favorite girl yet, but Vi and Els are amazing!

constantine

Jul 1, 2017
I wouldn't say Valentine is passive. He's just reluctant to get seriously involved with anyone he might have feelings for. If you choose to hook up with the ring girl or with Serena, there isn't that same hesitancy because he can keep it casual with them.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I think the problem comes with some people not understanding what kind of game it is.

The dev is making story based romance games. Like the first game there are a bunch of broken characters that find each other and eventually find love.

Unlike the first game this one is setting up a lot more throuples, the first only had one the rest were solo endings with 1 girl.

He isn't going to be using and abusing these girls, that isn't the kind of game it is.

It is heavily story based, it is going to be romance based and you are going to have to choose eventually. There is no harem here and he isn't going to screw over people he cares about.

Kazy

Feb 3, 2018
Is someone kind enough to make an android port, iam on holiday and i would die if iam not playing this for another 2 weeks, PLEASE!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Patreon update from the developer:

Check in? Kinda? 07/27/2022

Hey all!

If you weren't aware, the update has been out for the Purple, Brown and Black belt tiers. Will open for Blue and White later in the week.

Had pretty decent reviews so far, and I thank you all for taking the time out of your day to play my game. Truly couldn't do it without you. With this update we're about 25% through the story of Unbroken. Very excited for you to see where the path will be leading.

The rest of the week along with fixes I'll just be catching up on customs and special renders for the upper tier patrons. Next week will be my usual take a week off so I can get a little rest before hopping back on the development train.

There's going to be lots of STWA news coming in the next few weeks, but I'm spacing it out a little so you have time to breathe. First order of business, I'll be opening one more custom spot starting next month, now everybody who might want to fight amongst themselves over it has been informed. Probably won't open it until my break is over so you have a few weeks to think about it, as well as review custom rules.

We'll be doing our usual post release QA on Saturday August 6th, keep an eye in the discord for the time if you want to join us.

That's it for today. Thank you as always for the support and I hope you have a lovely and productive rest of the week.

Sláinte!

Pinsel

Dec 25, 2019
Ha, i must say, this was some top tier cat renders. I think never seen better ones in a game. Loved the comic in there. And also the whole scene at Serenas place anyway. Top. Serena is the best :love: love that girl

Reactions: mr.AwesomeGameTaste

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
No, there is no harem. There will be throuples but that's it.

The MC WAS a chad but he's trying to change because he got a reputation and he certainly isn't going to act that way with people he cares about.

Much like the first game this is a story based romance game. You may get to bang all the girls but you don't get to keep them. You will have to choose eventually. You aren't playing Chad McMegacock builds a harem, you're playing a guy that trying to change his ways and looking to settle down.

Only the third game will be different but that's only because it will be based around the Irish mob and be a bit more violent.
Are you serious about the 3rd game? Where did you get that info?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
She got it from the developer. Here's what he wrote under Developer Notes for his first game:

I'm a freelance smut writer who decided it was time for me to dip my toes into the production of my own VN series, and as such "Something To Write About" was born.

Each story will be a small little window into the life of an individual at a pivotal point in their life, you the player will be tasked with making choices that shape how these turning points turn out.

There are three currently planned stories, The Author, The Fighter and The Fixer, though more are always in the works.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
From the dev, some of us have been chatting to him since he launched his first game.

I don't know if you played the first game but one of the love interests has an aunt and 2 cousins who are quite high up in the Irish mob.

This is a trilogy.

hi just wondering if there's going to be a Harem ending. Thanks
No, there is not going to be a harem ending.

mr.AwesomeGameTaste

Feb 18, 2021
From the dev, some of us have been chatting to him since he launched his first game.

I don't know if you played the first game but one of the love interests has an aunt and 2 cousins who are quite high up in the Irish mob.

This is a trilogy.

No, there is not going to be a harem ending.
you mean the blonde one? Aofie or something like that right?

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
you mean the blonde one? Aofie or something like that right?
Yep, that's the one.

Her cousins are love interests in the third with the aunt being a partial LI. I don't fully know what the dev means by partial LI but i'm guessing side girl but not getting an ending.

All he's said about it is it is going to be a lot darker than the first 2 with it being heavily mob based.

We do also know one of the cousins is an incredibly violent lunatic.

Dec 5, 2021
Wow. WOW. I'm kind of blown away by how good this game is. Not to say that it was a masterpiece or anything, but I've played The Author and while the art and renders in that game were excellent, the narrative and the writing fell flat for me. I had thought about how great that game could have been if it had good writing, and this game fulfilled that wish and delivered hard. Like, seriously, I don't want to harp too much on this point but is the writer the same person? Because they improved massively.

First off the writing, which was the biggest standout to me in this game. It's very polished and very smooth; the tone is mature and the narration is restrained. Valentine is an adult and despite his childish playfulness sometimes, it is very apparent that the story, being told from his POV, is being told in an adult and serious way. The cast of characters have all been well-developed enough and fleshed out to varying degrees, and they all have engaging backstories that indicate some sort of trauma or pain that they're dealing with.

The theme of trauma being the overarching motif that connect these people both on an interpersonal level and on a narrative level, is carefully handled. I can tell that the dev is being cautious and is maintaining a high degree of respect when approaching such a delicate topic. That shows in the restrained manner that each character, especially Valentine's trauma, is being explored. It's slow and piecemeal progress, not rushed out and cheapened to score easy emotional tearjerk points, and I respect that. That's not to say that it necessarily needs to be slow for slow's sake, but I feel like it hasn't been a problem so far and we are making real progress.

I also like that Valentine is created to be an obviously handsome-as-hell womanizer and that the dev moved away from not revealing the MC's face to help with being a self-insert because 1. It's a front and revealing what's beneath has provided good characterization, and 2. It was very effectively used to help with the suspension of disbelief in the face of so many beautiful women coming on to him. Most people, myself included, love a good self-insert. But that often falls flat narratively speaking because I'm an average dude it's much tougher to explain why the normal expectation would be reversed and the average dude is being clamoured after by decidedly non-average girls. Valentine is a fully established character with a backstory that is at the forefront of the plot. It might be a slight sacrifice in terms of self-insertion, but the visuals flow much smoother and open up a lot more, and I can fully devote myself to enjoying his story.

Speaking of the visuals, this game nails almost everything. The renders are gorgeous as are all of the character models, male or female (fellas, is it gay to think that Alistair is hotter than half the love interests?). I especially love how well the expressions and finer emotions of the characters are conveyed through image alone with no need for additional explanation. The beauty of a visual novel is that the picture can tell you all you need to know without anything being explicitly told, and this game does very well on that front.

My only complaints, and one of them more pressing, is the lack of music or other sounds. The addition of sound tracks would add so much to the immersion and presentation of this game, which already looks extremely good. The game has had no lack of well-developed emotional moments and the right track in those scenes would elevate the effect substantially. The only other thing I could say that needs more work is the animation, which is quite rigid and doesn't integrate smoothly into the transitions at all, but I've never cared too much for animations to begin with so that doesn't bother me much.

Every update so far has also included a large amount of content, so I'm really looking forward to the continued development of this game.

4.70 star(s) 115 Votes