VN Ren'Py STWA: Unbroken [Pt. 7] [STWAdev]

4.70 star(s) 112 Votes

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
About using mods:

Until a game is completed, unless the modder is in league with the developer or is the developer himself, a modder doesn't know any more than we do about the ultimate effect of any given choice that results in a saved variable. And even when you have an in-game walkthrough, the developer is often cagey about what is going to happen. They're not going to completely give away the plots of their games.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
About using mods:

Until a game is completed, unless the modder is in league with the developer or is the developer himself, a modder doesn't know any more than we do about the ultimate effect of any given choice that results in a saved variable. And even when you have an in-game walkthrough, the developer is often cagey about what is going to happen. They're not going to completely give away the plots of their games.
The thing I like about the walkthroughs is that they show if a value is given to a particular choice (or, in their most basic format, what it seems that the Dev considers "canon"). Since values are cumulative, even if you don't know the ultimate outcome, you know that making a particular choice at a particular time provides value with regard to a particular LI, or possibly one gives a higher value than another. It can also indicate a potential path split, if one choice favors one LI, while another choice provided at the same juncture favors another LI. Whether you get a chance to "recover" with the other LI may not be known, but you do know that you have a decision of potential consequence, and this gives you the opportunity to do a split save.

The "big choices" are often obvious; it's the subtle ones that I like to use the WT for, especially while you're still trying to figure out the Dev's preferences. For instance, in this game it may not be the best choice to take the opportunity to ogle Elspeth's cleavage, but in another game series I was recently playing (written by a woman) checking out the assets was ALWAYS the right choice.

I know a current walkthrough will always be unlikely to give you all of the subtle knowledge of every choice made - especially if the Dev is being cagey, or even outright devious - but I find it more useful than artificially manipulating all of the variables and potentially screwing up the game. As one older game I started yesterday (with a built in cheat panel) indicated, maxing out your points with any or all of the potential LIs might actually prevent you from getting certain scenes or certain achievements triggered by a specific score level at a certain time, and will often preclude the scenes that you get before naturally achieving the higher score counts.

Mapping the decision trees isn't always going to be "easy", but from the perspective of screwing with a game's integrity, I don't think that kind of a mod is as likely to create save problems and put the game engine into a tizzy because a value, or an array of values, is outside of expected parameters for a particular point in a game.

Last edited:

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I've played through a decent chunk of Part 4. There's a lot to like, but I have to admit it wasn't as memorable as I was hoping for. I don't know if that's down to my own expectations or the way the update was presented, but it feels like the material we got was setup for future parts rather than an episode that could stand up on its own.

Part 3 gave us the first fight and a lot of insight into the various girls, and it looks like Part 5 will finally delve into the MC's tragic backstory. Part 4 is the connective tissue between them; it's material that needs to be covered, but in and of itself it doesn't provide a lot of meat. I'll try to explain why I feel that way as concisely as possible, but I should probably put that behind some spoiler warnings.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

tl;dr It's a nice update, but I suspect it will be remembered as either a coda to Part 3 or a prologue to Part 5 when the game is complete; there isn't enough here to stand out on it's own.

Last edited:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
I've played through a decent chunk of Part 4. There's a lot to like, but I have to admit it wasn't as memorable as I was hoping for. I don't know if that's down to my own expectations or the way the update was presented, but it feels like the material we got was setup for future parts rather than an episode that could stand up on its own.

Part 3 gave us the first fight and a lot of insight into the various girls, and it looks like Part 5 will finally delve into the MC's tragic backstory. Part 4 is the connective tissue between them; it's material that needs to be covered, but in and of itself it doesn't provide a lot of meat. I'll try to explain why I feel that way as concisely as possible, but I should probably put that behind some spoiler warnings.

tl;dr It's a nice update, but I suspect it will be remembered as either a coda to Part 3 or a prologue to Part 5 when the game is complete; there isn't enough here to stand out on it's own.
I haven't seen this one say so, but Devs on other VNs I play deliberately intersperse "set up and back story" releases with "heavy action" releases. I've seen it both as "part a/part b" releases, or as something more like this.

It's all part of the "novel" element of "AVN" - the story has to develop or it's just another harem/orgy/serial manslut/fuckfest game. Those I've seen talk about it do something on the order of a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio, where you get one "mostly story, light lewd" release for every three or four "heavy action/relationship advancement" releases. It keeps people with higher level cerebral activity interested.

Reactions: Walter Victor

franklin99

Jun 16, 2019
Does anyone know the best girls to "group" together for branching. I realize we need multiple saves, but the fewer the better.

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
The very best walkthroughs are those that highlight the various paths - especially if there can be only one LI - not sure in this game if that is true or a harem will be possible down the road - it is extremely hard to sometimes pick from such good choices if you can only end up with one

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
The very best walkthroughs are those that highlight the various paths - especially if there can be only one LI - not sure in this game if that is true or a harem will be possible down the road - it is extremely hard to sometimes pick from such good choices if you can only end up with one
This is why I'm running at least 3 or 4 different paths right now.

Does anyone know the best girls to "group" together for branching. I realize we need multiple saves, but the fewer the better.
Don't know about groupings, but I am running one of my paths with the answers that encourage lesbian encounters, just to see if we get some main LI three way that way. Another path takes up with the ring girl and you do get some interesting action out of it, but I think it may at least mute one or two of the other options.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017

I'd have to agree. It also feels like there were many more "A or B" choices in this one as well. Getting a call from Reena and Kana at the same time for example. Or hanging out with Alistair or Vi, in which case it seems he needed it more but doing so leaves you neglecting Vi and ignoring Ines's advice. It may just be me but a good chunk of this felt like filler content with a big revelation at the end that isn't utilized at all. On a side note I'm not sure what Els was trying to do with her phone, be it spy on her dad or keep tabs on the MC. Either way I'm not sure how I feel about that just yet.

Reactions: ename144

ChinPowa

Oct 29, 2017
Came for fap, stayed for english. Probably one of the best games with a decent grammar and real life language. Guess the dev is native.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Came for fap, stayed for english. Probably one of the best games with a decent grammar and real life language. Guess the dev is native.
It is one of the best aspects of the game. Even though I think the dev is playing favorites when it comes to character progression :). Just my opinion.

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
Assuming the issue here is one mod has a gallery and the other doesn't lol.
That's part of it. The KoGa3 mod does things I don't find necessary, and these extra things can sometimes be problematic from release to release, particularly if the Dev makes retroactive changes. The Scrappy does the two things I want it to do: walkthrough and gallery; other cheats and add-ins aren't my thing. Hoping he'll continue updating it.

kschn68

Jul 18, 2019
Still one of the best games here when it comes storytelling and dialogs. But of course the renders are also top, the animations not bad either. Only the audio part is a bit poorly handled - I therfore used the music player from the koga mod. I liked the story in "The Author" a bit more, but it's probably because I'm normally not that into martial arts.

About modders: the mentioned above are one of my favorite ones, too. I actually tried both here, and sometimes it would be nice to combine them... But using now also Koga's. Well, probably because it's updated and scrappy's not so far ;). From my experience both are mostly save compatible with their mods, even the ones from Koga (I also had few save compatible issues from scrappy mods, too). So it's mostly a personal preference.

Anyway, now the sad part - waiting for the next game update....

Reactions: J.R.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
what is the purpose of McNab? is he in love with Els?
antagonist, trying to prevent mc to fuck all girls.

finally this had sex since 1st mc fucked secretary and then took v card (bloodless) and then fucked 3rd girl and still got things left to play.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
antagonist, trying to prevent mc to fuck all girls.

finally this had sex since 1st mc fucked secretary and then took v card (bloodless) and then fucked 3rd girl and still got things left to play.
There wouldn't be any blood with Amrit, she's a fighter, her hymen would have broke years ago regardless.

Same for any female athlete. I did gymnastics, mine broke years before I shoved anything up there.

Don't know where you got antagagonist from either, he isn't trying to stop MC from fucking anyone. He advised against fucking Amrit because they are training her, it's a conflict of interest. If things go wrong in their relationship it will affect the training.

He hasn't blocked MC any other way.

what is the purpose of McNab? is he in love with Els?
No, they have been friends for years, same with MC.

4.70 star(s) 112 Votes